Wednesday, November 21, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

Yeah, that was one I'd probably have gotten if I'd put some thought into it. But having a description of some festival I'd never heard of was juts too much clutter to figure it out, copuled with being half asleep while watching the game.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Re: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

trainman wrote:Cleveland and Cincinnati get new J! affiliates, and they get an entire contestant search just for them.

Baltimore gets a new J! affiliate, and they get a category that doesn't even get finished.
Yeah, but did Ohio get its very own custom Think Differently contest? Huh? HUH?

Waters would have been a great question -- but he never left the state! I had the opportunity to meet him a couple of times, when he would come by premieres at the old Senator Theatre on York Road. A totally charming and self-effacing guy who inspired a feral loyalty in anyone who ever worked with him. Hairspray, in particular, is an under-valued movie; Waters loved the town, but that never meant he was a mindless booster.

This was one of the games which my flatmates make me watch alone; they don't understand why I keep yelling at people to get off my TV.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: 2012-11-21 (Wednesday Nov 21) Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Magna »

Poorly-worded FJ clue, imo. The clue makes it sound as if there's only one man whose name starts with the title ("the man whose name...") That said, Tosca was my instinctive first guess, and I couldn't come up with a second reasonable one in time, so I might have gotten it right just out of pure luck.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Re: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Linear Gnome »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have a question about the "Stratton's Dilemma in Season 29" page on the J! Archive.

The page lists this game with FJ! as a triple stumper (OK) with the player taking the "low" road in Stratton's Dilemma (good so far). But it claims that neither choice would be a winner here and that Paul did not win as a result of his choice. I think "low" was a winner and he *did* win as a result of his choice.

Either I'm confused or there's a programming glitch.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Re: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by whoisalexjacob »

I think it's because the "low wager" (maximum wager that stays ahead of the leader if both miss) would have lost to the 3rd place player. However, I agree that this is too narrow an interpretation, and the game should be counted as a win for the "low" strategy. Also, I don't really understand why the "low wager" is defined that way. If you're playing for the triple stumper, why not make sure that you stay ahead of a $0 wager by 3rd place?