Friday, November 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, November 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

If Stephanie can draw Keith and Paul in a match then bring on the sports although it's up to her to share if she knew Shula and or Billy "White Shoes" Johnson. "Cleats?" LMMFBAO

My problem with sports was saying Joe Dimaggio when the portion of the song needed Joltin' Joe. Ugh. Lyrics. Yes, I would have had a decent shot at a rhyming name if 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover came up for Paul Simon.

Paul is 0/6 on FJ clues. I'm on 0/2 on recent Oscar Wilde FJ clues. I looked at Mark Twain and Dickens on my paper. Late Victorian? That's British. Dickens? Probably more middle than late. A quotable author? That's Twain. I let the recent bestselling bio on Twain sway me that way. When Alex highlighted the Genius quote I knew I had heard it, but couldn't place it. Let me add that to my FJ check ons. If a clue is about a writer consider Wilde.

If Jake can do that well on the buzzer against a 5x champ then he should be even better on Monday. He did well to get the solve and make sure Paul couldn't get another win with the stay pat wager.

I enjoyed the French-off with Paul's fleur-de-lis and Alex's "correct."

Amanda waited around all day for that to get a buzzer sandwich? A thousand bucks the hard way.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Paucle wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Anyone wanna tell me how the blue heck $400 was supposed to lead you to UCLA? I saw nothing in the clue that even hinted at California.
you missed the "Bruin" in the clue?
Eeyup.
Whereas I saw the "Bruin" part, clear as day, but American colleges & universities and their mascots are an anti-wheelhouse for me. (When I see "bruin", I think of my old elementary school, its mascot was a bruin. UCLA will need something else to bring it to mind.) Maybe I can blame this on my own alma mater, whose teams are the Wesmen, and I'm not sure I'm even aware of a mascot for them, as no one, not even the school, knows what the hell a Wesmen is. (And before you ask, the women's teams are Lady Wesmen).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

legendneverdies wrote:Paul would have won his sixth game without getting FJ! right on a triple stumper if the leader was wrong.
That what I was rooting for!

Oh well. Good run, Paul! I'm guessing you'll be the first TOC contestant who never got an FJ right. Wear it proudly. :D
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

marpocky wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:No clue on FJ! I've seen Oscar Wilde pop up a few times, and it seems he has literally a different Pavlov every time.
I can't think of even a single clue that would be Pavlovian for Oscar Wilde. Maybe others can, but I don't know his career well enough.
At least someone actually guessed correctly on an 'Oscar Wilde' clue. I seem to remember a lot of TS on previous shows where he was mentioned.
Pavlovian: 'The only thing he wrote that anybody on the show seems to remember is that 'Dorian Gray' story..and even then, nobody can keep it straight if it's 'Portrait' or 'Picture.' '
sarahbree
Contributor

Post by sarahbree »

Sack!
Lions!
Gifford!
Shula!
(no clue on Whiteshoes, I guessed Spike)
Felt like a Jedi for this game, my husband was certainly looking at me like I was an alien...
Nailed the alliterative category, but that's a perfect example of how skipping around can get you in trouble, by the time they all understood the category Jake caught fire.

[quote="MarkBarrett"]Amanda waited around all day for that to get a buzzer sandwich? A thousand bucks the hard way.

Don't I know it- it's a very sucky feeling.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

BADuBois wrote:Missed most of this show due to travels, but got back in time to see FJ.

For me, FJ was an Instaget because of Oscar Wilde's genius declaration when coming through Customs, which has always stuck in my mind.
It always stuck in my mind too, until tonight. Couldn't dredge it up at all. Yuck.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

marpocky wrote:
ChemTeacher wrote:My shouts at the TV include the following:

Don Shula
Dust
MIT
East Carolina U.
Jesse James

There were a few more, but I can't remember them.
Didn't know Shula, but big yes to the rest.

No idea on FJ. WAGged Lewis Carroll.
I was also surprised at the number of TSs. I scooped up ten of them, but surprisingly few were the high-value ones which usually stump the contestants. I was screaming at the screen about Frank Gifford, Maxim mag, Don Shula, Grand Cenetral, Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, and a bunch of others.

I was also pleasantly surprised to get 51 right in this game. Breaking 50 is pretty rare for me.

Congrats to Jake for a very well-played game and well-earned victory. Congrats to Paul as well on a nice run and (I expect) a ToC berth to come.
Last edited by John Boy on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

John Boy wrote: I was also surprised at the number of TSs. I scooped up ten of them, but surprisingly few were the high-value ones which usually stump the contestants. I was creaming at the screen about Frank Gifford, Maxim mag, Don Shula, Grand Cenetral, Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, and a bunch of others.
I thought that was Suzen Johnson.

Congrats on 51 right. Maggie & Co. really do need to give you the call.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote:I was also surprised at the number of TSs. I scooped up ten of them, but surprisingly few were the high-value ones which usually stump the contestants. I was creaming at the screen about Frank Gifford, Maxim mag, Don Shula, Grand Cenetral, Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, and a bunch of others.
Please tell me you left a letter out of the verb in that second sentence. :roll:

I'm lousy at sports, so I didn't remember Frank Gifford or Billy "White Shoes", but they sounded familiar on reveal. I definitely should have known Gifford. The one that really made me yell was Don Shula. When the clue came up, I yelled "Who is Don Shula?" with a great deal of bravado. When the correct response was revealed, I yelled "Why did I say that?!?!?" It was just one of those things where an answer popped into my head, so I said it out loud. There is no way I would have rung in on that clue. The only way I'd get it right is if it was a DD and I was forced to say something. I would then be surprised and amused to win the $5 I'd wagered, given the category.
glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

I enjoyed Paul's style a lot, and don't begrudge him the wins at all — the Jeopardy gods (writers?) are fickle, and lots of strange circumstances emerge over a bunch of games.

But, Paul, I'll tell you, both me and my eight year old by your third game were both yelling at the TV, as if we could affect the past, "Stop ringing in if you aren't sure of the answer!"

I know that the games are played in quick succession, and I think you (and many of the other folks you played against) got sucked into the rhythm of answering, and it's hard to break.

Of the many great lessons I got from Bob Harris's book (and I credit his book with a big hunk of the reason I squeaked out two wins) was that it is worse to ring in when you're not sure of an answer than to hold your ground. If you're playing against a, well, Dr. J or Mr "Teeth" Whitener," their accuracy rate is going to smoke you statistically unless you're just as knowledgeable on the same topics. Against average contestants (like, honestly, me), you lose not only the $ amount but also give that same $ very likely to one of the other two people, doubling its effective value.

(Bob has great ideas about playing the board, betting in Double Jeopardy, and analyzing clues, too.)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

opusthepenguin wrote:
John Boy wrote:I was also surprised at the number of TSs. I scooped up ten of them, but surprisingly few were the high-value ones which usually stump the contestants.
Please tell me you left a letter out of the verb in that second sentence. :roll:
Ok, ya stumped me, opus! Which letter did he miss?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Paucle wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
John Boy wrote:I was also surprised at the number of TSs. I scooped up ten of them, but surprisingly few were the high-value ones which usually stump the contestants.
Ok, ya stumped me, opus! Which letter did he miss?
Pat, I'll take an "s." See the bolded portion where I quoted JB.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

MarkBarrett wrote:Pat, I'll take an "s." See the bolded portion where I quoted JB.
oh! I didn't even look that far! Didn't see the forest for the trees. Oops.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote:
John Boy wrote: I was also surprised at the number of TSs. I scooped up ten of them, but surprisingly few were the high-value ones which usually stump the contestants. I was creaming at the screen about Frank Gifford, Maxim mag, Don Shula, Grand Cenetral, Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, and a bunch of others.
I thought that was Suzen Johnson.

Congrats on 51 right. Maggie & Co. really do need to give you the call.
Thanks. Give them a heads up. When I do get The Call there'll be a little something in it for you, buddy.

:)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

opusthepenguin wrote:
John Boy wrote:I was also surprised at the number of TSs. I scooped up ten of them, but surprisingly few were the high-value ones which usually stump the contestants. I was creaming at the screen about Frank Gifford, Maxim mag, Don Shula, Grand Cenetral, Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, and a bunch of others.
um, yes...I really, really love J! but not THAT much.

must...correct...that

must...edit...more...carefully.....grumble.....
Sherm

Re: 2012-11-23 (Friday November 23) Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Sherm »

I still say I don't have the overall knowledge base to compete on jeopardy, but with the DJ board from Friday. I could've held my own with about anyone. The thing was written for me, except for one catagory. I scored over 20,000 in DJ and 4,800 was left up there on Paul Simon and I would have likely nailed all of it. What I know of Rene Magritte comes from Paul Simon, not that I knew anything of him as an artist prior to a song.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Finally got around to watching Brian's video he was so kind to post for us.

Started to say Meredith, but caught myself in time when I remembered Dandy Don quit much earlier. Missed the Bruin TOM and said USC.

I wonder if Paul would have gotten Jsmes if he'd started that category at the top and gotten a feel for what it was about and how the clues were worded.

I got all but MIT on that list.

I knew Wilde but couldn't think of his name and went with Lewis Carroll.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

MarkBarrett wrote:If Stephanie can draw Keith and Paul in a match then bring on the sports although it's up to her to share if she knew Shula and or Billy "White Shoes" Johnson. "Cleats?" LMMFBAO
Definitely got Shula, but said Merideth for Gifford and hubby said "White Shoes" before I could guess. (I remember him, but don't think I would have gotten it on air.) Got Eastern Tennessee State for sure, and the rest of the sports category. Unfortunately, if the next ToC is anything like the past ones, sports categories are scarce. Waa waa waa.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

Got Eastern Tennessee State for sure, and the rest of the sports category.
I hope it was East Carolina you said, unless I'm misremembering something from that game. ;)
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Re: [#6485] - Friday, November 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by JyV92 »

What a good game! exciting - lead went back and forth. Enjoyed it.

Didn't get ECU.

Was torn between Wilde and Shaw - went with Wilde.

Monday FJ a little different.got that one right away.

nice job everybody.