Tuesday, November 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6487, 2012-11-27

CONTESTANTS
Mary Folley, a statistician from Charlotte, North Carolina
John Fausz, a bartender from St. Louis, Missouri
Lucas Peterson, an actor originally from Oak Park, Illinois (whose 1-day cash winnings total $13,900)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert, and welcome, ladies and gentlemen. We got the week off to a great start yesterday. The three players had earned over $50,000 going into the Final, but we had a killer Final, and that's why Lucas didn't win but $13,900. Let's see what happens today, though, with John and Mary to challenge him. Welcome aboard. Good luck. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round. And now we will reveal the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LIONS & TIGERS & BEARS, OH MY! (4/5)
CLASSIC AD SLOGANS (3/5)
A BUNCH OF "S.B." (5/5)
STARS OF THE OLDEN SCREEN (4/5)
IN THE DICTIONARY (5/5)
CITY NICKNAMES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lucas: 13 R, 1 W
John: 8 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Mary: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
John found the Daily Double on the 12th clue. Lucas had $2,600, John had $2,000, and Mary was at $1,000. John made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,000.

CITY NICKNAMES $1000: This city named for one in England & once home to many a steel mill:
"the Pittsburgh of the South"
(Alex: John?)
(John: [Shakes head])

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Lucas: $3,400
Mary: $2,000
John: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Mary Folley is a statistician from North Carolina. Recently, I was at JPL in Pasadena the night that Curiosity landed on Mars. An exciting moment for everybody there. You had a similar moment some years ago in Houston.

Mary: I did. I was a very small child, but my parents took me, my brother, and my sister to Mission Control in Houston on the day that man landed on the Moon. When, um, the Eagle landed, we were standing up in an observation area over Mission Control and got to see the whole thing on television while they were working the computers and whatnot.

Alex: But what was the reaction in the room?

Mary: The reaction was just--everyone was holding their breath until they heard that the Eagle had landed. And afterwards, when we walked out of the building, after all the hoopla was done, a Japanese film crew approached us because they didn't have a shot of Americans reacting for the evening news, and so they had my brother, sister, and I jump up and down and be excited.

Alex: Good.

Alex: John Fausz from St. Louis, Missouri. Last year, you took a very long trip.

John: Yes, it, uh, was about 5 weeks and 6,200 miles, in my--

Alex: What prompted this trip?

John: I just got a little sick of St. Louis for a minute. Sorry.

Alex: Where did you go?

John: All around the West, uh, in my '93 Camry wagon, which was... an experience...

Alex: Okay, that sounds like fun.

Alex: John Fausz from St. Louis, Missouri. Last year, you took a very long trip.

John: Yes, it, uh, was about 5 weeks and 6,200 miles, in my--

Alex: What prompted this trip?

John: Uh, just... got a little sick of St. Louis for a minute. Sorry.

Alex: Where did you go?

John: All around the West, uh, in my '93 Camry wagon, which was... an experience...

Alex: Okay, that sounds like fun.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CLASSIC AD SLOGANS $600: "The pause that refreshes"

CLASSIC AD SLOGANS $1000: "Think small"
(John: What is Apple?)
(Lucas: What is... IBM?)
(Alex: Both of you picked really big companies. "Think small"--[*].)

LIONS & TIGERS & BEARS, OH MY! $600: The 2 main ways lions mark their territory are by scent-marking & by doing this
(Mary: What is, um, scratching?)

STARS OF THE OLDEN SCREEN $1000: Amazingly, this comic performed many of his own gags without a stuntman

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Lucas: $5,400
Mary: $2,400
John: $1,400

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LIONS & TIGERS & BEARS, OH MY! (5/5) (We had so much fun in that first round with lions & tigers & bears, we thought we'd do it again, but with a twist, oh my!)
WHAT HAPPENED? (5/5)
"ING"LISH (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: Each correct response will begin with "I-N-G".)
U.S. MEMORIALS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
I WROTE THAT BESTSELLER (5/5)
ANCIENT JERUSALEM (3/5) (Alex: Perhaps not as ancient as you might think - 1st C. AD from a model of Jerusalem in the Israel Museum.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lucas: 14 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 0 W
Mary: 8 R, 1 W
John: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lucas snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Lucas had $9,800, John had $4,200, and Mary was at $3,600. Lucas wagered $5,000.

"ING"LISH $1600: Adjective meaning worked into the fiber or texture of something

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Lucas who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Lucas had $25,600, John had $3,800, and Mary was at $8,400. Lucas wagered $2,000.

U.S. MEMORIALS $1600: Davenport Park in the city of Bangor is home to a memorial remembering this battleship

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ANCIENT JERUSALEM $1600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows us the model of ancient Jerusalem at the Israel Museum in Jerusalem.) In Jesus' time three festivals a year brought thousands of pilgrims to the temple; those serving the throngs included these people, whose tables Jesus overturned
(Mary: Who were the moneylenders?
(Alex: Moneylenders?)
(Mary: Usurers?)

ANCIENT JERUSALEM $2000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows us the model of ancient Jerusalem at the Israel Museum in Jerusalem.) The red-roofed buildings are the residences of those on this Jewish supreme court; it also functioned as a legislature with Pharisees & Sadducees its two parties

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Lucas: $27,600 (lock game)
Mary: $8,400
John: $5,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BILLBOARD NO. 1 ALBUMS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; two-thirds for second place.
Lucas: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $10,799 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Mary: Wager $3,201 to cover John.
John: Risk between $0 and $600, and you just may move up into second place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The soundtrack for this film based on a play holds the record for the most weeks at No. 1, 54 weeks in 1962 & '63

FINAL SCORES
John: $5,800 - $2,601 = $3,199 (What is The Sound of Music?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Mary: $8,400 + $3,201 = $11,601 (What is West Side Story?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Lucas: $27,600 - $7,600 = $20,000 (What is the Sound of Music?) (2-day champion: $33,900)
(Alex: I can think of three films that would've provided a fairly good choice for you.)
(Alex: [To John] That's one of the three, but it's not the right one.)
(Alex: [To Lucas] The other film that I thought of that you might've considered was King and--The King and I.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Lucas: $23,800, 27 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Mary: $8,400, 12 R, 2 W
John: $7,800, 14 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $40,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Lucas: 27/60 = .450
John: 14/59 = .237
Mary: 13/58 = .224
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
A BUNCH OF "S.B." $400: It's the type of sign the man seen here is wearing, just waiting for your ad

LIONS & TIGERS & BEARS, OH MY! $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows us polar bears at Svalbard Island in Norway.) Polar bears are well-adapted to the cold; in addition to having hollow fur that traps heat, their skin absorbs a maximum of heat because it's this color

STARS OF THE OLDEN SCREEN $200: Here's Lon Chaney, Sr. as this character, maybe dancing to the church bells

STARS OF THE OLDEN SCREEN $400: This comic, who was a huge star in the 1920s but faltered in the sound era, is trying to be a good sport

STARS OF THE OLDEN SCREEN $600: She was America's sweetheart, looking here like a Dutch peasant

STARS OF THE OLDEN SCREEN $800: As his name might indicate, this comic sometimes liked to throw his weight around

"ING"LISH $2000: Grab a glass of wine & cozy up to this corner by the chimney
(Alex: You did well in the category, you ran it all.) [Applause]

I WROTE THAT BESTSELLER $2000: "The Tipping Point"
(John: [No response])

LIONS & TIGERS & BEARS, OH MY! $1200: Ex-Lions lineman Alex Karras KO'ed a horse with one punch in this comedy/Western film
(Alex: Yes. "Me Mongo.")

ANCIENT JERUSALEM $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows us the model of ancient Jerusalem at the Israel Museum in Jerusalem.) Jerusalem's first temple was destroyed by the Babylonians; a model of the city shows the second temple, destroyed by these people in 70 AD

ANCIENT JERUSALEM $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows us the model of ancient Jerusalem at the Israel Museum in Jerusalem.) At the west end of the second temple was the section called the Holy of the Holies, entered only once a year on this holiest of days in Judaism

ANCIENT JERUSALEM $1200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows us the model of ancient Jerusalem at the Israel Museum in Jerusalem.) Still standing today, the walls of Jerusalem's Old City existed in the 1st century; they were destroyed along with the temple, but rebuilt by this Emperor, better known for a wall in Britain

CORRECT RESPONSES
Birmingham, Alabama
Coca-Cola
Volkswagen
roaring
Harold Lloyd
ingrained
the Maine
the moneychangers
the Sanhedrin
West Side Story
a sandwich board
black
the Hunchback of Notre Dame
Buster Keaton
Mary Pickford
Fatty Arbuckle
an inglenook
Malcolm Gladwell
Blazing Saddles
the Romans
Yom Kippur
Hadrian

falsifieddocuments
Valued Contributor

Re: [#6487] - Tuesday, November 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by falsifieddocuments » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:03 pm

I feel bad for the guy in the middle (I forget his name). Seems like he was a good player, but he got nervous after he fumbled the Daily Double so early and never really recovered. Both players seemed really nervous, actually.

I said "The King and I" for FJ.

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:28 pm

I don't think I've ever heard the word "sycophant" before.

I usually do well in animal categories, but I struggled to figure out what $200 was asking, never thought of "roar" at $600, and never heard of Siberian tigers.

Total 0/5 in Screen. Seemed to hinge too much on recognizing the faces, with little to no TOM on the person.

Once again my brain turns completely off in DJ! Unlike yesterday, there weren't any "Oh yeah, I knew that" moments. I just had no freaking clue. Saying Roe v. Wade for Civil Rights Act, JFK for the book that Brokaw wrote, and tax collectors for money changers didn't help. I ended up getting only 5 right, 3 of which were in "Ing", and had a net gain of $800.

I actually got West Side Story, but it was a total ex-recto. Wouldn't have thought of The Sound of Music or The King and I since I thought both of those were older.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:41 pm

Little irritated that I missed FJ after really rolling through the game board. I actually thought the cats were tough - like old film actors, etc, but it was stuff I liked. Hard to make great sense of Lucas at this point - knowledge base seems pretty good, not great, but he fills in the gaps with fast buzzing and aggressive betting.

The lady at the end pretty much did herself in by not hunting for the DD at the end there. But Maggie I am sure was happy that she took the Memorials category in order.

Anyway for FJ I said My Fair Lady, fully realizing that it was about two years too early for that film. I had this OH CRAP moment when I realized that, thought Sound of Music, said no, not that, not based on a play, also like 1965ish, then did some weird JFK thing and said Camelot, which is really based more on the TH White books, then sucked it up and went back to My Fair Lady and waited and hoped that I was wrong on its year. About two seconds after the music ended it occurred to me that it was West Side Story. Not that hard a question, just not one I was in the right mindset for.

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:47 pm

This seemed like my wheelhouse but I got stuck- watched My Fair Lady over Thanksgiving weekend and it fit most of the criteria, but I couldn't imagine the soundtrack being that popular. I knew Sound of Music had been popular but it was never a play... and I couldn't get my brain away from Julie Andrews and over to WSS. Oh well.

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:52 pm

I just deleted a long description of how I messed up a reasonably straightforward FJ in one of my strongest categories. Sigh--just not that interesting. :( (Stupid answer: A Summer Place.)

No Lach Trash for me--should have gotten Sanhedrin and moneychangers. Just not a good game for me.

Lucas looks impressive.

alamble

Post by alamble » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:04 pm

lisa0012 wrote:This seemed like my wheelhouse but I got stuck- watched My Fair Lady over Thanksgiving weekend and it fit most of the criteria, but I couldn't imagine the soundtrack being that popular. I knew Sound of Music had been popular but it was never a play...
Neither is West Side Story. If the J! writers want to make the argument that the "play" in reference is Romeo and Juliet, well, that's a stretch for the clue as it was written.

billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:07 pm

lisa0012 wrote:This seemed like my wheelhouse but I got stuck- watched My Fair Lady over Thanksgiving weekend and it fit most of the criteria, but I couldn't imagine the soundtrack being that popular. I knew Sound of Music had been popular but it was never a play... and I couldn't get my brain away from Julie Andrews and over to WSS. Oh well.
Yeah I don't think either WSS or TSOM was ever a play- they were musicals. That left me with My Fair Lady because at least Pygmalion was a play.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:16 pm

alamble wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:This seemed like my wheelhouse but I got stuck- watched My Fair Lady over Thanksgiving weekend and it fit most of the criteria, but I couldn't imagine the soundtrack being that popular. I knew Sound of Music had been popular but it was never a play...
Neither is West Side Story. If the J! writers want to make the argument that the "play" in reference is Romeo and Juliet, well, that's a stretch for the clue as it was written.
I agree. It took me awhile to realize what play they were referring to, as I was trying to think of more direct adaptations (as MFL was). A different TOM might have gotten me there. Or I might have just sat here singing "I Could Have Danced All Night" again.

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:23 pm

billy pilgrim wrote:Yeah I don't think either WSS or TSOM was ever a play- they were musicals. That left me with My Fair Lady because at least Pygmalion was a play.
This is part of what got me off track. I also knew that it was a little too early for TSOM and MFL. If WSS had occurred to me, I probably would have gone with it despite my misgivings, but at some point I veered off in the completely wrong direction of soundtracks of non-musicals.

I'm glad I wasn't the one who got sidetracked, anyway.

StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:37 pm

I did better than yesterday, getting one that my mom missed (I knew the earthquake was in Lisbon and she said Madrid, the other Iberian capital). I felt that "the opposite of 'exit'" was a you-know-it-or-you-don't sort of thing, but it is among those I got right.

I wouldn't have tried to ring in on any of the Star of the Olden Screen clues, especially as young as I am (I was born during the last week of 1989). The only reason I got the Buster Keaton one is because the fact about it being a silent star who faltered during the sound era made Charlie Chaplin stand out as wrong.

I misunderstood the FJ clue and started off trying to come up with a Beatles song first. My mom corrected me about what they were looking for, but I would have missed even with my dad's help (I thought West Side Story was later than that).

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:38 pm

Enjoyed this game a lot, especially in the very beginning when Alex noted that he was at JPL to see the live landing of the Mars Curiosity Rover. Outstanding! I remembered staying up late on the East Coast watching it live over CNN --- knew that Alex was one cool cat, but didn't know he had such an interest in planetary science. (Besides being a mystery and suspense writer, I'm a serious space geek).

Loved most of the boards (and of course wishing this had been *my* second game) and even swept the board of ID'ing the old movie folks.

But, alas, crashed and burned on FJ. My two guesses were "South Pacific" or "Camelot." Speaking of cool cats, Lucas seemed very much in control. Looking forward to see how far he goes.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:10 pm

Good game, good categories for me. 13800/23200/37000

In J!, Ran "Dictionary" and "SB." Lost $600 dollars on "Lipton" for "Coke" though, and Lloyd stole $400 from me for Keaton, but he gave some of it back at the bottom of the category.

No misses in DJ, and ran both "Memorials" and "Lions, Tigers, and Bears."

For FJ, vacillated between The Sound of Music and West Side Story for the longest time (well, 28 seconds anyway), and while the latter seemed more correct to me, something about the former was nagging at me.
I hate naggers. Tuesday gets a :evil: on Saturday.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:21 pm

Now I realize why I never thought of West Side Story -- it wasn't a play! I wasn't planning to, but now I can grumble that it was a terrible clue.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:08 pm

At least most of you were in the ballpark, I was thinking "Bye, Bye Birdie" (which was a play (well, a musical) and a movie, but I think the play/musical was from the time stated, the movie coming much, much later.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:10 pm

So many Chicago clues......

and pearl of the orient, i went with Hong Kong

ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:15 pm

This seemed like my wheelhouse but I got stuck- watched My Fair Lady over Thanksgiving weekend and it fit most of the criteria, but I couldn't imagine the soundtrack being that popular. I knew Sound of Music had been popular but it was never a play... and I couldn't get my brain away from Julie Andrews and over to WSS. Oh well.
This was pretty much what happened to me, only I didn't watch MFL recently.

Leander

Post by Leander » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:16 pm

I came up with WSS eventually, but found the "play" reference very confusing. Alex's reference to The King and I seemed off-wasn't that a mid 50's movie? I almost went with "Theme to A Summer Place".

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:35 pm

I also rejected West Side Story because it isn't a play. I wasn't real sure about The King and I, but at least it was an Alex approved wrong answer.

I did well in the old actors category. I assume Quasimodo would have been good for the Hunchback. I knew Mary Pickford was America's sweetheart and that there was an actor named Fatty Arbuckle, but have never seen any of there movies and had never even seen Arbuckle before. I also knew Keaton was known for physical comedy, so he was a good guess for the failed poll vault. I have heard of Harold Lloyd, but had to clam on him.