Tuesday, December 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:30 am

Placeholder for J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:30 am

Placeholder for DJ! Round

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jeff6286 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:36 am

People in British History
In 1805 the second in command to this hero said, "I wish (he) would stop signaling. We all know what we have to do."

SpoilerShow
Who is Admiral Horatio Nelson?
Susan Jann: $17,100+$2,500=$19,600...now a 2-day champion with $42,400
Kevin Moser: $9,200+$9,000=$18,200
Joe Emison: $8,400+$8,400=$16,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:58 pm

Had to take a phone call. So only 7 right in the first round but I reached 10 in DJ for the second straight day. I am kicking myself over the St. Paul's Cathedral question as I said George Wren instead of Christopher. I have read up on a few cathedrals, including St. Paul's and Notre Dame.

For FJ, I just took a guess and went with Cornwallis. Although I could see Nelson making sense.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:11 pm

So, anyone else say "Fedex" for the $200 "Block Party" clue? :lol: (I know that if this was my game, I would have said it, since it's only $200)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:27 pm

My absolute inability to keep binary choices straight strikes again, as I can never remember which of the title characters in Romeo and Juliet has the surname Montague, and which is Capulet. Nor can I find a feasible way to keep the two straight.

Wouldn't have predicted getting Lach Trash on the sports category, but I did get "schuss" somehow. Also got jai alai despite being totally clueless on the two above it and clamming on assist.

I usually do well in animal categories, but Leopard seal was my only get there. I blurted out "tick" on $200 before I remembered that they're arachnids (bedbugs suck blood? really?), almost said "water moccasin" on the snake based on the "tread" TOM, just had no clue on barracuda, and I forget what the other one was. (Anyone?)

Total 0/5 in Tennessee's and Love. I've seen that "birds and bees" lyric on TV Tropes, but couldn't put a name to it, and Kahlil Gibran was too far back in the memory banks to dredge it up in time.

Tennessee's for $200 seemed very vague and open-ended, given the three negs.

DJ! did me no favors. I should've run Grammar, but all I could do on the DD was "Um, it's not conjunctions, because there's 'nor' also… um… what else is there… damn it." Also, even though I studied grammar a lot of my own volition, I never came across anything that mentioned the cases. I got 3 each in Grammar and Guthrie, and $400 in 12th Century, and that was it.

No guess on FJ!
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:31 pm

Stopped reading the FJ clue and walked out of the room after seeing the words "In 1805...". Rough game, but at least it wasn't a lock before FJ.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:38 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:My absolute inability to keep binary choices straight strikes again, as I can never remember which of the title characters in Romeo and Juliet has the surname Montague, and which is Capulet. Nor can I find a feasible way to keep the two straight.
Hmmmm .. How could one keep JuliET CapulET straight ....

Yeah, not seeing it.

debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:57 pm

Alex, you need to study your German pronunciation... the "ss" in schuss is not pronounced "sh". Only the "sch". "Ss" is simply "s".

And yeah, JuliET CapulET is how I remember it.

Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:18 pm

Oh, shush! :lol:

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:20 pm

debramc wrote:And yeah, JuliET CapulET is how I remember it.
I never noticed that.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Woof
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by Woof » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:50 pm

debramc wrote:Alex, you need to study your German pronunciation... the "ss" in schuss is not pronounced "sh". Only the "sch". "Ss" is simply "s".
It's a bit more complicated than that, though you're correct that Alex botched it. The "ss" in German gets the soft "s" sound, whereas a single "s" gets the hard "s" (basically, the English z) sound. Then there's also the eszett, which can be written as "ss" when it isn't written as the beta-like symbol, and is pronounced as a "ts" sound (eszett was originally sz in German and still occasionally appears that way).

Funny game for me. I found the J board considerably more difficult than the DJ board, which I believe I may have run. I was in agony over some of their answers and stand-and-stares, but at least they got it together for FJ. Of course, spotted 1805, British and hero, I'd hope that most J! contestants would light upon the correct answer.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:36 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:I blurted out "tick" on $200 before I remembered that they're arachnids (bedbugs suck blood? really?)
I think "sleep tight" was the TOM there but some friends of ours are struggling with bedbugs (and my wife's scared to death of having them in our house), so I'm quite familiar with them.

And, if you didn't think they sucked blood, what did you think they do? There's a reason they're a nuisance to people, you know.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:38 pm

Basic thoughts, all without reading upthread first, as I watch "live" (offf DVR):

Is there a natural "sh" sound at the end of "schuss"? Because if not, I expected the judges to reverse Alex's pronunciation coming back from commercial.
One "n" is enough for Tippi Hedren's last name, Susan. :) Good thing it was just the interview and not a game answer!
It's the top row clue, gang! Don't over think it! If the house impeached him, try the other one!

??? On Susan's penultimate clue DD wager. At the time, she has more than double Joe's 8400. All that's left on the board is a 1200 clue. Seems like 600 is her best wager; correct, she maintain at worst a lock tie (assuming Joe rings in and is correct on the final) and if wrong one of them still needs to get the final clue correct to overcome her lock win.

FJ: 1805 British Hero DONE. (althought I'd add a HAH-haaa)
TenPoundHammer wrote:had no clue on barracuda, and I forget what the other one was. (Anyone?)
A very undervalued clue, I thought-- I missed it too. (Tyrannosaurus Rex) The TOM was royal but seriously-- who thinks of Rex in that instance? I'm thinking "King something"?

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:50 pm

dhkendall wrote:So, anyone else say "Fedex" for the $200 "Block Party" clue? :lol: (I know that if this was my game, I would have said it, since it's only $200)
Guilty! Though I was thinking that I would just talk really fast and say, "What is FedEx-NO!-H&R Block?", so that maybe I could still get credit for it, but still draw a few laughs from the uber Jeopardy! geeks like us. Maybe I'd even get mentioned on Ken's site!? The way the endgame played out tonight, losing that $200 early on, as well as an opponent likely getting the rebound, could have proved costly.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tennessee's for $200 seemed very vague and open-ended, given the three negs.

DJ! did me no favors. I should've run Grammar, but all I could do on the DD was "Um, it's not conjunctions, because there's 'nor' also… um… what else is there… damn it." Also, even though I studied grammar a lot of my own volition, I never came across anything that mentioned the cases. I got 3 each in Grammar and Guthrie, and $400 in 12th Century, and that was it.
I think the Tennessee clue was one of those where the first player's miss may have sent the others down the wrong path. It was really pretty simple to guess: What group would have had a member expelled by the House in the late 1700s? It pretty much had to be the Senate, or maybe the Supreme Court. The first guesser throwing out Tennessee Congress led to the 3rd player guessing the Tennessee Senate, while the middle player guessed the U.S. House, even though that was essentially named in the clue. I'm thinking the writers never would have foreseen contestants thinking that they would ask about a state legislature, and were quite surprised to see all 3 contestants misfire on that one.

I mucked up the article clue as well. With 3 words and 6 letters, I immediately knew the words had to have lengths of 1, 2, and 3 letters, which had to be a, an, and...and? So I said conjunctions, even though I knew as soon as it left my mouth it wasn't right. Article just didn't make it from my brain to my lips in the time allotted.

I was pretty stunned to get 4/5 right in Woody Guthrie, considering I know absolutely nothing about him, other than I think he was a singer and may have done This Land is Your Land. Or maybe that was Arlo Guthrie. Were they both singers, or was one something totally different? Wiki now tells me that Arlo was Woody's son, and both were folk singers, and I was right about Woody's most well-known song. Fortunately, they somehow managed, in the first 4 clues, to ask things that required no knowledge of the singer whatsoever.

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:56 pm

dhkendall wrote:And, if you didn't think they sucked blood, what did you think they do? There's a reason they're a nuisance to people, you know.
I thought they were more like so many other bugs — they just congregate and don't really do anything physically to humans.
Paucle wrote:A very undervalued clue, I thought-- I missed it too. (Tyrannosaurus Rex) The TOM was royal but seriously-- who thinks of Rex in that instance? I'm thinking "King something"?
Ah, yes. My mind went the same way.

Also, I just realized I have never owned tube socks in my life, so I was stymied on that clue.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:03 pm

Paucle wrote: ??? On Susan's penultimate clue DD wager. At the time, she has more than double Joe's 8400. All that's left on the board is a 1200 clue. Seems like 600 is her best wager; correct, she maintain at worst a lock tie (assuming Joe rings in and is correct on the final) and if wrong one of them still needs to get the final clue correct to overcome her lock win.
I was thinking she erred at first, and that she must have thought there wouldn't be time for the last clue, but after looking again at the scores, I don't see anything wrong with her bet. Scores were 18,600-8,400-8,000, with a 1200 clue left on the board. Her $1500 bet seems to accomplish the same thing as your $600 bet, except that she may not have been able to do all the math required to arrive at the precise figure that may have been ideal. If she gets it right, she has over 20,000, and neither opponent can reach 10,000 with a get on the final clue, so she keeps the lock. If she is wrong, she still has 17,100, so both players are still locked out barring a get on the final clue. I don't see any downside to her $1500 bet that isn't also there with the $600 bet, but I may very well be missing something.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:21 pm

jeff6286 wrote: Scores were 18,600-8,400-8,000, with a 1200 left.
No matter what she wagers, getting it wrong means the player with 8400 getting the 1200 breaks the lock. If she wagers 200 and gets it wrong, the player with 8000 could get the 1200 and have a lock tie. Less than 200 means only the player with 8400 can get the 1200 to break the lock.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:27 pm

8,400 (19,200, 16,800)
8,000 (18,400, 16,000)

The numbers in parenthesis show the best possible score by each of the trailing players, if they get the last question right and double up in FJ, followed by a doubled amount of their current score. If she misses the DD and loses $1,500, she has $17,100, which means either of them would have to respond correctly to have a chance going into FJ.

Yes, all she really had to bet was $601 (and not misplace Catherine of Aragon) to assure her of a lock going into FJ. But either bet accomplishes the same thing. The most she should have bet on the DD would have been was $1,799. Either she quickly calculated second place's possible scores and bet to stay ahead of it or she got lucky. Either way, a very good bet.

Instaget FJ. And I also keep Romeo and Juliet's surnames straight by remembering her's rhymes with her first name.

Loved the Tennessee category, thought Knoxville was way overvalued.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:55 pm

I mixed up my Napoleonic opponents: although I thought of Nelson first, I changed my mind to the Duke of Wellington. One of those unusual occasions where I miss FJ, but think I would have gotten it right in a regular clue, just because I wouldn't have had the time to talk myself out of my correct first instinct.

Also, Romeo's first and last name each end with two vowels. Also, the quote in the clue mentioned something about no longer being a Capulet; normally it is the female whose name changes in a coupling.

Assuming Kevin would have gotten the last $1,200 clue and Susan the $1,600 no matter what order they were played in, it was a good thing for Kevin and Joe that Kevin skipped over the 12; had they played the category in order, Kevin would have had $9,200 and Susan $18,600 when she hit the last DD, and with no clues left, she could have guaranteed herself a lock. (Her wagering has seemed haphazard to me, but I don't think it's break-her-own-lock haphazard.)