2013 Online Test Registration Is Open

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

2013 Online Test Registration Is Open

Post by nlw44 »

Just thought I would let anyone interested know - registration is now open for the next adult online test(s), taking place on January 8, 9, and 10 of 2013. Barely more than two weeks away! Sign up now for fun and profit, and months of waiting for a call that never comes.
Last edited by trainman on Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed subject line (to distinguish from later posts discussing the tests themselves)
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Online Test Registration Is Open

Post by ElendilPickle »

Someone was asking recently about when the online test registration would open (I didn't see the thread in the first three pages or so of board discussions).

Here is the link to register: http://www.jeopardy.com/onlinetests/adult/
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: 2013 Online Test

Post by ElendilPickle »

GMTA - I just posted a similar message with a link to the test registration site. :)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Does anyone know what cities they will be having auditions in?

I didn't bother to take the test last year since they weren't doing auditions anywhere near Atlanta, but I suppose that I will take it this year, regardless.

EDIT: I saw the list of cities that they are considering.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

There is a small bit of me that is jealous that I can't take it for real again. I'll probably take it for fun.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

Awesome - first time I've seen auditions in San Antonio! That will make things easier than last time.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Yay, Christmas came early!

Not all that happy about the choice of audition cities. I suppose where I live it's a case of "beggars can't be choosers", but I remember the first year I took the test (2009), Minneapolis was a city, which is just an 8 hour drive away, and the best possible scenario. (Heck, my sister's place is about a quarter of the way there, and we have no hesitations of going to visit her on Wednesday). Last year it was Chicago, which is a 2 day drive, but doable. Neither are there this year, most of the auditions are in places that don't even get snow! I initially thought Detroit, since it's not that much farther from Chicago (relatively speaking), but I figured Toronto isn't that much farther from that (and I know people in the Big Smoke that I might be able to con into staying with, and I wouldn't need to take my passport with me). So, Toronto it is. I hope that with Detroit also on there that they won't decide not to do Toronto this year because much more people chose Detroit instead, and not call us Toronto choosers ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Once more unto the breach...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

gamawire wrote:Awesome - first time I've seen auditions in San Antonio! That will make things easier than last time.
See you there (hopefully)!
immaf

Re: 2013 Online Test Registration Is Open

Post by immaf »

I have registered. Surprised that they are not holding auditions in Boston. It will be the first time on many years that they haven't.

Edited to add: My registration confirmation got caught by my spam filter. Don't let this happen to you.
Teems with quiet fun.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

nlw44 wrote:Just thought I would let anyone interested know - registration is now open for the next adult online test(s), taking place on January 8, 9, and 10 of 2013. Barely more than two weeks away! Sign up now for fun and profit, and months of waiting for a call that never comes.

And all cheery best wishes to you as well.

I know, after a while, optimism is hard to come by.
MexiKen
Contributor

Post by MexiKen »

Interesting that they included both Toronto, ON and Buffalo, NY as potential cities. Neither were available last year. I have to think that they will choose one or the other depending on responses, not both.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

MexiKen wrote:Interesting that they included both Toronto, ON and Buffalo, NY as potential cities. Neither were available last year. I have to think that they will choose one or the other depending on responses, not both.
I was especially (pleasantly) surprised by that, considering both are within walking distance of my house.

I spent a lot of time trying to decide which of the two I should choose, but Toronto won out 'cause there's a train. (Time will probably be of the essence.)

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
jtb34
Valued Contributor

Post by jtb34 »

I went to an in person audition in July of 2011 at the first TCONA. I didn't take the online test last year, but do you guys think it would be okay for me to take it this year? It'll only have been 17 months, but I really don't want to have to wait another year to take it.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

I don't remember all the details they told us at auditions this spring, so someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that would be okay (and it'd be over 18 months if you get an audition this time).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I auditioned in early August 2007, took the online test again (and got 34 right) in late January 2009, and got The Call less than a month later.
immaf

Post by immaf »

I went to an in person audition in July of 2011 at the first TCONA. I didn't take the online test last year, but do you guys think it would be okay for me to take it this year? It'll only have been 17 months, but I really don't want to have to wait another year to take it.
I have been lucky enough to be invited to an in-person test several times, and from what I gather, the "at least 18 months" is a rule of thumb. Basically, they want you to skip one year. If you had an in-person audition in 2011 and skipped the on-line test in 2012, you should be fine to take the on-line test in 2013.
Teems with quiet fun.
Kebert Xela
Contributor

Post by Kebert Xela »

Are we allowed to take the test multiple times, i.e., use different emails and what not?
MaureenK

Post by MaureenK »

Nothing even remotely close to the Pacific Northwest this time! Gaaah!

I auditioned in San Francisco in November 2010, and this is the first time I've been able to take the test again. So I had to skip TWO tests.
nlw44

Post by nlw44 »

John Boy wrote:
nlw44 wrote:Just thought I would let anyone interested know - registration is now open for the next adult online test(s), taking place on January 8, 9, and 10 of 2013. Barely more than two weeks away! Sign up now for fun and profit, and months of waiting for a call that never comes.

And all cheery best wishes to you as well.

I know, after a while, optimism is hard to come by.
Hey, I've got all the optimism in the world, that I'll do fine on the online test, and if I get an audition, on the in-person test and game-playing. But there's more to it than just those criteria, and I'd rather keep my expectations low-key if I can, than come out of an audition sure I'll get a call that never comes. I keep the words of Vijay Balse in my mind, after he won his tournament of champions I think, when he commented on how many times he had auditioned before finally getting on the show. It may be sacrilege to say so, but the contestant coordinators don't always get it right the first, or the second or even the sixth time.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"