2013 Online Test Registration Is Open

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: 2013 Online Test Registration Is Open

Post by dhkendall »

MaureenK wrote:Nothing even remotely close to the Pacific Northwest this time! Gaaah!
Yes, I'd love to know what their criterion for an audition city is, there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason for it (although having one or two within a fair distance for most people would seem to be the most logical, but this time, Upper Midwesters like me (well, not really, but you know what I mean) and Pacific Northwesters like MaureenK are out of luck. (My sister reminded me today that if I got an audition I'd also have to be able to afford to go to Toronto, something that would be less of a problem (although affordability is still a factor, albeit a lesser one) if something like Minneapolis was an audition city.)
nlw44 wrote:I keep the words of Vijay Balse in my mind, after he won his tournament of champions I think, when he commented on how many times he had auditioned before finally getting on the show.
Vijay's comments (and others' who have been in the TOC and made similar comments) do give me hope, but my problem is that this won't be my fourth audition, this will be my fourth time taking the test, I have yet to be called for an audition.
MexiKen wrote:Interesting that they included both Toronto, ON and Buffalo, NY as potential cities. Neither were available last year. I have to think that they will choose one or the other depending on responses, not both.
I'm a bit worried about that too. As someone who (reluctantly) chose Toronto, I'm worried that if more people choose Buffalo, they might just give most Toronto-choosers the heave ho, so as to not make Buffalo overloaded. (I'm thinking, though, maybe they have plans at this stage to do both, and they are different times of the year.)
bpmod wrote:I was especially (pleasantly) surprised by that, considering both are within walking distance of my house.
I don't think that means what you think it means.

(Yeah, I know, per Steven Wright, "everywhere is walking distance if you have the time", but I can't picture walking that much, walking 30 minutes to work for my last job (and hopefully to my next job, as a place I interviewed for last week that I'd really like to work at is a 30 minute walk in the other direction from my house) is about it for me.)
bpmod wrote:I spent a lot of time trying to decide which of the two I should choose, but Toronto won out 'cause there's a train. (Time will probably be of the essence.)
Hope to see you there!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:
bpmod wrote:I was especially (pleasantly) surprised by that, considering both are within walking distance of my house.

(Yeah, I know, per Steven Wright, "everywhere is walking distance if you have the time", but I can't picture walking that much, walking 30 minutes to work for my last job (and hopefully to my next job, as a place I interviewed for last week that I'd really like to work at is a 30 minute walk in the other direction from my house) is about it for me.)
What do you think I think it means? I haven't walked either distance personally, although I have cycled them many many times. But I know people who have walked them, and I would probably walk them if I had the time & a particular reason to.
dhkendall wrote:
bpmod wrote:I spent a lot of time trying to decide which of the two I should choose, but Toronto won out 'cause there's a train. (Time will probably be of the essence.)
Hope to see you there!
Yes, me too. And if finding a place to stay while you make that trip is going to be an issue, consider it solved.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
dhkendall wrote:

What do you think I think it means? I haven't walked either distance personally, although I have cycled them many many times. But I know people who have walked them, and I would probably walk them if I had the time & a particular reason to.
Per Google maps Hamilton to Toronto walking time is 14 hours and Hamilton to Buffalo walking is 21 hours (not counting the time at customs, I have never seen anyone walk through customs yet (though I biked through once and got strange looks (decided to take a long bike ride (back when I was fitter), after checking in at customs I sat right down at the border cairn by the side of the road to have my lunch, I was in Canada, my sandwich was in the US). Walks that take more than half a day I would recommend another means of conveyance.
bpmod wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Hope to see you there!
Yes, me too. And if finding a place to stay while you make that trip is going to be an issue, consider it solved.
Boardies are always nice folk. This is an example of that! (I'm NOT walking with you to Toronto, though!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I have, however, walked through Customs, many, many times. Always at the same place, the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls.

Oh, and don't I know how nice Boardies are. I have been put up by two Boardies on my travels. I would extend the same courtesy to any of the regulars here.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Good luck to all... I know that I lucked out in my journey to Sony Studios this year, especially when I see here that Boston is not one of the audition cities this time around. Ack!
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

Seeing the full list I was surprised how highly represented the south is. I could just as easily (or slightly easier) make Tulsa as I could San Antonio (yes, Texas is big). But I figured the parents would be unhappy if I had a chance to visit and I chose to go to Oklahoma instead, so I selected my hometown. Now to get that pesky audition...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I saw Nashville and thought that wasn't too bad but then I saw they are having an audition in Huntsville, Alabama!!!!!! Now I really hope this is my year.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

nlw44 wrote:

Hey, I've got all the optimism in the world, that I'll do fine on the online test, and if I get an audition, on the in-person test and game-playing. But there's more to it than just those criteria, and I'd rather keep my expectations low-key if I can, than come out of an audition sure I'll get a call that never comes. I keep the words of Vijay Balse in my mind, after he won his tournament of champions I think, when he commented on how many times he had auditioned before finally getting on the show. It may be sacrilege to say so, but the contestant coordinators don't always get it right the first, or the second or even the sixth time.
I know, keeping expectations in check is essential, in life in general and certainly for those of us who keep trying to get on J! (And I should know, as I may have the dubious distinction of having been through more tries than anyone else.)

The Contestant Coordinators "don't always get it right" is considered Gospel truth to anyone who auditioned well (or thought he did) yet didn't get The Call. But they are the only ones whose opinions matter.

At this point I just wish I could get back INTO an audition, as I've passed the online quiz three times in the last four years without getting an invitation to an audition, even though there was one last year right here in my home town.

And yes, I'll be on the 10-meter platform next month, taking another dive into the pool.

See you there.
MexiKen
Contributor

Post by MexiKen »

You and I both - if your location is accurate, I am right beside you. Just that much further East that Toronto was a no-brainer.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: 2013 Online Test

Post by ElendilPickle »

jfrumkin wrote:There is a small bit of me that is jealous that I can't take it for real again. I'll probably take it for fun.
Same here, Josh.

Best of luck to all of you who will take the test in January!

ETA Actually, I just noticed that none of the times work for me this year. I have conflicts on the 9th and 10th, and I'll be at my viewing party on the 8th. :)
happybooker
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by happybooker »

With the wide range of audition options and some of the strange pairings (Toronto/Buffalo was an interesting coin flip), I wonder if the choice of cities might not be another screening tool ('We'll choose for auditions from those who've picked the cities that we audition in". Was it Harris who emphasized that luck plays a larger role in the game than we usually give it credit for?
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

happybooker wrote:With the wide range of audition options and some of the strange pairings (Toronto/Buffalo was an interesting coin flip), I wonder if the choice of cities might not be another screening tool ('We'll choose for auditions from those who've picked the cities that we audition in". Was it Harris who emphasized that luck plays a larger role in the game than we usually give it credit for?
Luck plays a far larger role in everything than we're willing to admit.

And with that, I wish good fortune to all those here who will be taking the test.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

I did my sign up two days ago and I am set for January 10.
Cortana431
Valued Contributor

Post by Cortana431 »

So a few questions...

A score of 35 or above is needed to be considered for an in person audition? Is it rare for adults to not be called with such scores? Does it matter if you even get a near perfect score?

What is the approximate time range for getting a call if you passed the online test?

I'm 18 and in college. Can I take the adult test and the college one later on and be considered for both?

Thanks, cortana
okstater04
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by okstater04 »

Cortana431 wrote:So a few questions...

A score of 35 or above is needed to be considered for an in person audition? Is it rare for adults to not be called with such scores? Does it matter if you even get a near perfect score?

What is the approximate time range for getting a call if you passed the online test?

I'm 18 and in college. Can I take the adult test and the college one later on and be considered for both?

Thanks, cortana
I took the test three times, got above a 35 on all three occasions, and only got called once to an audition. Lucky for me, that audition was successful.

Normally, they do the auditions during the early-mid summer, so a few months wait is normal for most people after they've taken the test. It's not a call - it's an email. I took the test on February 9th (I believe), and got an email on May 5th inviting me to a KC audition.

I'm pretty sure you can take both the adult and college tests and be considered for both, but I'll let someone with more knowledge answer that definitively.
okstater04
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by okstater04 »

And wow...Kansas City and Tulsa? They're hankering for Midwesterners. I've never seen one in Oklahoma before. I guess they were just so impressed by me that they felt the need for more Oklahoma contestants 8-)
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

Cortana431 wrote:A score of 35 or above is needed to be considered for an in person audition?

That's the word on the street.
Cortana431 wrote:Is it rare for adults to not be called with such scores?

I took the test four times, believe that I 'passed' all four, and got audition invites three of the four times. I know others here have not been so fortunate. I believe there's more competition for spots in some audition cities than others, that could be a factor.
Cortana431 wrote:Does it matter if you even get a near perfect score?
Honestly, don't know. Not sure whether they randomly select from all 'passers', or whether they go top-down. Anyone?
Cortana431 wrote:What is the approximate time range for getting a call if you passed the online test?
2008, I got the invite 5/2 for a 6/12 audition.
2010, I got the invite 3/19 for a 5/26 audition.
2012, I got the invite 3/23 for a 5/4 audition.
Cortana431 wrote:I'm 18 and in college. Can I take the adult test and the college one later on and be considered for both?
My understanding is yes. Good luck!

-a.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

As for the near-perfect score, just this: I am 45+ three years in a row with no invite, if that's an indication.

And this year there are CLUSTERS of audition cities all over the place, but the closest to the northwest are LA and Phoenix? Whaaa?
SkeeBallRaif
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SkeeBallRaif »

Warning: Rampant speculation in this post.

I doubt it makes sense that they'd go top-down, or that they'd necessarily prefer to take someone who got a 49 over someone who got a 36. I'd imagine they pick 35 as a baseline for intelligence on the show (i.e., OK, someone with a 35 can hold his/her own), and after that they are more concerned with personality and ability to keep the game moving. If you went top-down, the pool from which to pick "good" personalities shrinks, so you'd end up with a group that is a little smarter at the expense of being a little duller.

Besides, I'm sure they've focus grouped it and determined it is no fun to watch a bunch of know-it-alls get everything right. Some of the best thrills for viewers involve getting triple stumpers or FJs that everyone else missed; if those decrease by picking the smartest, you're starting to get a pretty boring and predictable show. If anything, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they actively want to include folks that get 35 along with those who get 50, or set some kinds of quotas along score-related lines.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

So NOW they're coming to Nashville after I just drove four and a half hours to audition in Cincinnati. Ah, well. As long as I'm back in the pool.