Tuesday, December 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6507, 2012-12-25

CONTESTANTS
Tom McGrath, an actor and photographer from Chicago, Illinois
Beth Copenhair, a software consultant from Johns Creek, Georgia
Kris Hamilton, a computer technician from Dublin, Ohio (whose 1-day cash winnings total $16,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Merry Christmas, everyone, and welcome to our show. Kris gave himself a great holiday present yesterday--$16,200. Will he add to it today, or will Beth or Tom replace him as champion? Good luck to all three. We're gonna start finding out right now with the first round of play, the Jeopardy! Round. One Daily Double in this round, and here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
UNLIKELY PRESIDENTIAL SIBLINGS (4/5) (Let me give you an example. For instance George W. Bush and Reggie Bush that's an unlikely pairing, isn't it?)
THAT'S "CORN"Y (5/5)
RELIGION & FLAGS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LET'S DUET (5/5)
I'D LIKE A DRINK (3/5)
IT'S THE COCKATIEL HOUR (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tom: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Kris: 8 R, 1 W
Beth: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tom found the Daily Double on the 11th clue. Kris had $1,800, Beth was in the red with -$800, and Tom was at $1,200. Tom wagered $1,000.

RELIGION & FLAGS $1000: A wheel of moral law, or Dharma, is seen here on this country's flag

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Tom: $2,400
Kris: $1,800
Beth: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: This young man, Tom McGrath, used to write a blog about arena football.

Tom: It's true.

Alex: And what was the tagline for that blog?

Tom: "We don't know anything about arena football, but neither do you."

[Laughter]

Alex: And...

Tom: And we were right. Neither we nor anyone else knew anything about it. We actually were credentialed for the arena bowl that year, for the--the championship game.

Alex: Just because they were impressed by your blog.

Tom: Eh, we were funny.

Alex: Yeah. Well, that's good. That's a redeeming quality.

Tom: We try.

Alex: Beth Copenhair--Copenhaver, sorry--

Beth: Copenhaver, yes.

Alex: Copenhaver. From Johns Creek, Georgia. Is it true you're a character in a novella that was written by a well-known author?

Beth: Yes, uh--Scott Sigler. He's been on The New York Times best-selling list. He often puts his fans into his books.

Alex: How nice. And does it also kind of force you into going out and buying a lot of those books to give to your friends so that they'll see that your name is in there as a character?

Beth: Not forcing, but yes, it's some encouragement.

Alex: Yeah, you help his sales.

Beth: Yes.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Kris Hamilton is our champion. A lot of us have had unpleasant encounters with dangerous animals. We don't think of swans as being dangerous.

Kris: And you would be wrong, Alex.

Alex: Yeah?

Kris: All wrong.

[Laughter]

Kris: They are among the most aggressive and territorial birds out there.

Alex: Well, geese, we know, but swans?

Kris: Swans--I've been to California, Hawaii, and Ohio and have been attacked by swans.

Alex: In three different states?

Kris: In three different states, yes.

Alex: Are you trying to--are you trying to work it so that you can be attacked--it would be a nice claim to fame to say, "I was attacked by swans in every state in the union."

Kris: I now have money to do that.

Alex: Okay, good. Travel to the other 47. [Laughs]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
I'D LIKE A DRINK $400: This "worldly" drink consists of vodka, orange-flavored liqueur, cranberry juice & lime juice

I'D LIKE A DRINK $1000: Bourbon, bitters, Pernod, sugar & a twist gets you this Crescent City cocktail
(Beth: What is a Pimm's cup?)

RELIGION & FLAGS $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows us a portion of a flag.) Emblems on the Mongolian flag include the Yin-Yang symbol, seen as an image of two of these creatures that represent watchfulness because they never close their eyes.

UNLIKELY PRESIDENTIAL SIBLINGS $200: "Father of his Country" & "American Gangster" actor

IT'S THE COCKATIEL HOUR $400: Discovered there around 1770, cockatiels are native to this continent
(Kris: What is South America?)
(Tom: What is Africa?)
(Beth: What is Asia?)

IT'S THE COCKATIEL HOUR $1000: Though cockatiels are mainly seed eaters, the hard internal shells of these squid relatives provide needed calcium

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Tom: $5,400
Kris: $4,800
Beth: $2,000

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, December 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THAT'S SO LAST WEEK! (4/5)
THE PILGRIMS (3/5)
NOVEL "T"s (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
FILL IN THE FILM FRUIT (4/5)
U.S. MOUNTAINS (3/4)
SON OF... (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tom: 11 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Kris: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Beth: 1 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tom snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Kris had $5,200, Beth had $2,000, and Tom was at $7,800. Tom wagered $3,000.

SON OF... $1600: This common Irish prefix comes from the French for "son"
(Tom: If it's wrong, I'm in trouble - what is Mick?)
(Alex: No, the French for son is "fils".)
(Tom: Sorry, Coach.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kris who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Kris had $12,800, Beth had $2,800, and Tom was at $9,200. Kris wagered $2,000.

NOVEL "T"s $2000: The preface to this mega-bestseller begins, "I'd never given much thought to how I would die"
(Kris: What is Tuesdays with Morrie?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SON OF... $2000: Spelling out this common Spanish patronymic suffix shouldn't be hard; just the opposite

FILL IN THE FILM FRUIT $1200: "The Caine Mutiny": "Ahh, but the _____. That's--that's where I had them. They laughed at me & made jokes"
(Beth: What's the breadfruit?)

THE PILGRIMS $1600: The Mayflower's cooper (who made & repaired barrels); his descendants with wife Priscilla include Dan Quayle & John Adams

THE PILGRIMS $2000: William & Susanna White gave the first English child born in New England this first name that can mean "pilgrim"

THAT'S SO LAST WEEK! $1600: Something that's not quite obsolete but well on its way is described with this adjective also starting with "obs"

U.S. MOUNTAINS $1200: On August 18, 1873 this mountain near Death Valley was first ascended

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kris: $12,400
Tom: $10,400
Beth: $2,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ART & ACTIVISM

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Kris: Wager $8,401 to cover Tom. Or, you could try out a Shoretegic bet of $2,801.
Tom: Your score is within 4/5ths of Kris's, so wager between $4,001 (venusian) and $4,799 (martian), beating Kris's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Beth's part.
Beth: You just can't cover a rational wager by Tom, nor can you win on a Triple Stumper. Improve your situation by wagering everything but a few bucks--and then getting Final right!

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Though being added to much more slowly than 20 years ago, it's now 1.3 million sq. ft., too big to display in one place

FINAL SCORES
Beth: $2,800 + $1,001 = $3,801 (What is the AIDS quilt?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Tom: $10,400 + $10,391 = $20,791 (What is the AIDS quilt?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Kris: $12,400 + $8,401 = $20,801 (What is the AIDS quilt) (2-day champion: $37,001)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kris: $14,400, 17 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Tom: $13,400, 21 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Beth: $2,800, 7 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $30,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Tom: 22/60 = .367
Kris: 18/59 = .305
Beth: 8/58 = .138
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
RELIGION & FLAGS $200: Bearing a symbol reaching back to antiquity, this nation's flag is seen here

THAT'S SO LAST WEEK! $1200: The University of Bristol has a department of Classics & this, a 2-word phrase for the distant past
(Tom: What is prehistory?)

U.S. MOUNTAINS $1600: (Alex gives the clue from the tracks of the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad.) On our trip on the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad, we're about to go through the U.S.A.'s first gateway to the west - a passage in the Allegheny Mountains, which are part of this longer chain
[end-of-round signal sounds]

CORRECT RESPONSES
India
a cosmopolitan
a sazerac
fish
George Washington and Denzel Washington
Australia
cuttlefish
Fitz
Twilight
ez
strawberries
John Alden
Peregrine
obsolescent
Mount Whitney
the AIDS quilt
Israel
Ancient History
Appalachians

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:26 pm

Any reason I should know that cockatiels are native to Australia? South America and Africa both seemed like far more valid guesses.

Only $200 in Presidents (on $400, I got only half; on the other three, I got neither half). Also $200 only in Flags, and 0/5 in Drink.

"Mac" = raincoat? New to me. I've never owned a raincoat in my life, so this was totally foreign to me.

Had a whopping twelve clams today, including three in Film Fruit and the "don't overthink it" Texas clue (I overthought it). Again, extremely really very super mega ultra not confident.

Art & Activism? Yeah, I'm totally hosed here. No guess. There's such a thing as an AIDS quilt?!
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:40 pm

If the runner-up hadn't babbles so much during the Son of Daily Double, there might have been time for the $2,000 clue. How much did he wind up losing by?

I haven't heard about the AIDS quilt in years, but it was big news in the 1990s. I assume they'd have taken AIDS Memorial Quilt.

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:20 pm

Fun game for me. Did well on Film Fruit and Presidential Siblings... and was I the only one shouting "Strawberries, strawberries!" during the Cain Mutiny clue? Stunned that no one got that answer. But I confess I had no idea that cockatiels were native to Australia; thought Asia was the proper answer.

FJ was an Instaget, though I might have said AIDS Memorial Quilt, which I hope the judges would have accepted.

Funny, saw the tail-end of "Wheel of Fortune" before the start of "Jeopardy!", and their set was seriously decked out with Christmas decorations. Wondered what they were going to do on the "Jeopardy!" set and they did... absolutely nothing. Which is fine. Alex made a mention of holiday winnings in his opening statement and I guess less is more.

Happy holidays to everyone out there in JForum land...
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:23 pm

Bamaman wrote:If the runner-up hadn't babbles so much during the Son of Daily Double, there might have been time for the $2,000 clue. How much did he wind up losing by?

I haven't heard about the AIDS quilt in years, but it was big news in the 1990s. I assume they'd have taken AIDS Memorial Quilt.
Yes, the runner-up thought he was quite clever with his enunciations and added remarks. Not so much, as it turns out.

I predicted "AIDS quilt" as the answer.

The champ's cadence was much better tonight and he was much more watchable I thought.

I said "slug" for "cuttlefish." I'd be impressed if anyone actually knew that one.

The question valuations were stupid in places - the flag of India for $1000 and a DD stands out.
Last edited by Austin Powers on Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:25 pm

BADuBois wrote:Fun game for me. Did well on Film Fruit and Presidential Siblings... and was I the only one shouting "Strawberries, strawberries!" during the Cain Mutiny clue? Stunned that no one got that answer. But I confess I had no idea that cockatiels were native to Australia; thought Asia was the proper answer.
I did too. Though it seemed more difficult than the questions below it in that category - especially asking for "grape" in the "Sideways" question.

StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:30 pm

Never heard of "How do you like them apples?" inside a movie context, but hey, you learn things every day when watching Jeopardy!.

I as good as blanked on that FJ!. I thought the Hollywood Walk of Fame, but quickly decided that it's too small to be it.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:37 pm

I've seen Good Will Hunting, so I knew that one. I've never seen The Caine Mutiny, so I missed that one.

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:43 pm

BADuBois wrote:Did well on Film Fruit and Presidential Siblings... and was I the only one shouting "Strawberries, strawberries!" during the Cain Mutiny clue? Stunned that no one got that answer.
I was right there with you. A classic performance by Humphrey Bogart, especially on the witness stand when speaking the dialogue in question.

Fun fact: Michael Caine (née Mickelwhite) reportedly took his stage name from the movie, as Bogart was his idol.

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:47 pm

Bamaman wrote:I've seen Good Will Hunting, so I knew that one. I've never seen The Caine Mutiny, so I missed that one.
Same for me, on both counts. Seems as if the former would be easier to infer from the context than the latter.

It took me about half the time to get FJ but, once I thought of it, I was confident that it couldn't be anything else.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:59 pm

Austin Powers wrote: I said "slug" for "cuttlefish." I'd be impressed if anyone actually knew that one.
Well, I knew what they wanted, but the best I could do was "Cuh ... Cuh ... Cuh ... Damn!"

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:52 pm

Breadfruit guessed for strawberries in The Caine Mutiny was a great miss to make me howl at home. This clip from the movie (near the end so spoil at your own peril) has a classic movie line (or at least a favorite at mine) at 4:40 finishing up shortly after. In the whole clip play spot the famous TV dads. There is more than one.

For Good Will Hunting anyone who has seen the movie with its Oscar-winning screenplay should have no reason to miss apples. A YouTube search for "good will hunting apples" will get you the clip, but for sensitive ears there is cursing.

Cockatiel/Australia going 0/3 surprised me, but I have an aunt living in Australia to bring extra Oz knowledge my way.

Kris exercised the Stephen King rule of rooting interest in getting The Tommyknockers. Tom probably doesn't want to hear "Fitz" for a long time since that DD miss hurt his chances to win. Kris' DD miss had me glad it was not an FJ clue. I've read each Twilight book and seen each movie and even the "T" hint gave me nothing to guess. I'm not sure a full 30 seconds would have helped.

Art & Activism had me guessing Guernica for the response. Hitting the time machine foward was no problem when I saw the clue and I figured the quilt was well-known enough that no regional bias would be in play to favor one coast over another. Without a doubt adding "Memorial" would have been fine.

soxfan99
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by soxfan99 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:42 pm

Austin Powers wrote:The champ's cadence was much better tonight and he was much more watchable I thought.

I said "slug" for "cuttlefish." I'd be impressed if anyone actually knew that one.

The question valuations were stupid in places - the flag of India for $1000 and a DD stands out.
I really liked the champ from the first day - didn't see what was unwatchable at all.

I've seen many a big cuttlefish on dives, but never knew that they had an internal shell.
StrangerCoug wrote:Never heard of "How do you like them apples?" inside a movie context, but hey, you learn things every day when watching Jeopardy!.
You really should see Good Will Hunting; it's a great movie. The scene leading up to them "How do you like them apples?" has to be one of my favorite scenes in any movie. One memorable line after another.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:42 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Any reason I should know that cockatiels are native to Australia? South America and Africa both seemed like far more valid guesses.
Discovered in 1770 would have been a better place to focus than origin.
BADuBois wrote:Fun game for me. Did well on Film Fruit and Presidential Siblings... and was I the only one shouting "Strawberries, strawberries!" during the Cain Mutiny clue? Stunned that no one got that answer. But I confess I had no idea that cockatiels were native to Australia; thought Asia was the proper answer.
Shouting? No. I was saying it in may Faux-gart, much like Trebek :D

I was trying too hard to shoehorn the Berlin Wall into an answer, cause parts of it are scattered all over. I think 'that quilt thing' flittered through my mind, but I would've needed more time to figure out what that was anyway.

billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:59 pm

Austin Powers wrote:
I knew cuttlefish because I had a girlfriend who owned a parakeet. She used to buy it cuttlebones to eat. Filthy little beast . (the parakeeet, not the gf )
Last edited by billy pilgrim on Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:03 am

Watched with family. Also felt the board was uneven, values really off both directions. Instaget for me but sit and stare for everyone else (and I was the youngest, thought they would remember it better than I did). Do we have another potential TOCer or does the almost-there curse continue?

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:10 am

Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Any reason I should know that cockatiels are native to Australia? South America and Africa both seemed like far more valid guesses.
How? Something can be discovered in 1770 in nearly any continent.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:42 am

Tom may have babbled on his Daily Double, but I really enjoyed him imitating the sound effect when he hit it.
BADuBois wrote:Funny, saw the tail-end of "Wheel of Fortune" before the start of "Jeopardy!", and their set was seriously decked out with Christmas decorations. Wondered what they were going to do on the "Jeopardy!" set and they did... absolutely nothing. Which is fine. Alex made a mention of holiday winnings in his opening statement and I guess less is more.
I don't think they've ever decorated the J! set for Christmas. WoF redecorates their set every week to a certain extent, but that's obviously not a line item in the J! budget (aside from some of the tournaments, for which they may add a few props).

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:57 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:
How? Something can be discovered in 1770 in nearly any continent.
Anything you could easily find in SA or Africa was already found by 1770. Australia was just getting started, though; that's the year James Cook landed.