Wednesday, January 2, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6513, 2013-01-02

CONTESTANTS
Julie Reynolds, a medical transcriptionist from Waterville, Ohio
Joey Gutmann, a law student from New York, New York
Paula Menasche, a high school social studies teacher from Coral Gables, Florida (whose 3-day cash winnings total $55,100)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Ladies and gentlemen, thank you so much, and welcome again to our program. Can Paula keep it going? She's averaging around $18,000 per win here. So she's in good shape. Joey and Julie--the J's have arrived. Welcome, good luck to all three of you. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round. Let's see how well the three of you perform with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
1920s NEWS FLASH! (4/5)
A CATEGORY WITH A TWIST (0/0)
CAPITAL CITY CHURCHES (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: We'll give you the church. You tell us the capital city in which it is located.)
THE GAME'S A "FOOT" (5/5)
SERVICE ORGANIZATIONS (2/4)
GOLDEN GLOBE WINNERS (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Paula: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Joey: 7 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Julie: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 24
Triple Stumpers: 8
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Joey: $1,800
Paula: $1,400
Julie: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Julie Reynolds is from Waterville, Ohio. Julie, there's a commercial that's been running for a few months now featuring a gecko...

Julie: Mm-hmm.

Alex: ...and the gecko in one of those commercials is on Mount Rushmore in a tunnel, and it turns out that tunnel is one of the eyes of one of the characters. Now, you got a personal tour of Mount Rushmore. Is there a tunnel in the eyes? I mean, how close did you get?

Julie: I didn't get that close. I was on a cross-country drive with my big brother, Michael, in March on the heels of a snowstorm, and we decided we wanted to see the sights anyway, pulled in. We were the only car in the parking lot. It was minus-2 degrees. We pretty much had our run of the park, but we did spend most of the time touring the gift shop.

[Laughter]

Alex: Aha. Okay, well, that's good, but you got up close and personal.

Julie: Oh, yeah, we did.

Alex: Mount Rushmore.

Alex: Okay, Joey Gutman is from New York. He's a law student who almost ran over his grandma.

Joey: Yeah, it was during the New York City Marathon. Around mile 10--my grandmother's wonderful. She came out to support me. She stood in the middle of the road, threw her hands out for a hug--and I tell you, when you're running 10 miles, you do not know how fast you are going--I hit her, we flew about a full block, and I had to make sure she didn't fall.

Alex: Now, when I ask questions of the contestants, ladies and gentlemen, I don't know what they're gonna say. I thought Joey was going for, "Around the 10-mile mark, my grandmother jumped out into the street and offered me a drink and some knish," and whatever, all kinds of foodstuffs. Good story.

Alex: Paula Menasche is our champion. And we had a clue about Brasília, and I heard that you may be related--distantly, of course--to the discoverer of Brazil?

Paula: Yeah, one of my uncles on my mother's side of the family had a family tree done up years ago, and I was looking at it a couple of years ago, and I said, "Is that really Cabral?" And my mom said, "Well, you know, that's what your uncle found." So I haven't been able to verify it myself, but I'll just enjoy--

Alex: Hey, it's a great story. Go with it. Go with it.

Paula: Yeah. Believe it.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Joey found the Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Paula had $2,800, Joey had $1,400, and Julie was at $1,200. Joey made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,400.

CAPITAL CITY CHURCHES $600: The High Kirk of St. Giles, where John Knox was minister

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SERVICE ORGANIZATIONS $600: Father Michael McGivney founded this fraternal society for Catholic laymen in 1882

CAPITAL CITY CHURCHES $800: Designed by Oscar Niemeyer, the Cathedral of this South American capital seen here

GOLDEN GLOBE WINNERS $400: In 2001:
The president of the United States on television
(Julie: Who is Josiah Bartlet?)
(Alex: The man who played Josiah Bartlet--[*].)

1920s NEWS FLASH! $600: 1927! Gene Tunney takes a long count in the squared circle but rises to defeat this "Manassa Mauler"! Howzabout that!

GOLDEN GLOBE WINNERS $800: In 2009:
Sookie Stackhouse

GOLDEN GLOBE WINNERS $1000: 2011:
Chicago mayor Tom Kane
(Alex: Portrayed by [*], and the series is called Boss.)

SERVICE ORGANIZATIONS $400: Originally this club's emblem was a wagon wheel; now it's a gearwheel with 24 cogs & 6 spokes

CAPITAL CITY CHURCHES $1000: Matthias Church, or Matyas Templom, where Franz Joseph was crowned in 1867
(Joey: What's Vienna?)
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now, Joey.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Joey: $3,400
Paula: $2,800
Julie: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 2, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE 6 SIMPLE MACHINES (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: We only have five clues in the category, so we'll have five of them.)
PALINDROMIC WORDS (4/5)
BRITANNICA BIOS: "A" (4/5)
THE QUOTABLE KEATS (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
GREEK FOOD & DRINK (3/3)
BROADWAY LYRICS (0/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julie: 7 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Joey: 6 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Paula: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 10
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $13,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Joey snagged the next Daily Double on the 24th clue. Paula had $2,800, Joey had $9,800, and Julie was at $6,000. Joey wagered $200.

THE QUOTABLE KEATS $1600: In "Ode on a Grecian Urn", these 5 words precede, "that is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know"
(Joey: What is we come and we go?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Julie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Paula had $2,800, Joey had $10,000, and Julie was at $8,000. Julie wagered $2,000.

THE 6 SIMPLE MACHINES $2000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew operates a doorknob.) It's hard turning just the post of a doorknob, but put the knob on, & it's now the simple machine known as the wheel & this
(Julie: I'm completely blank.)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PALINDROMIC WORDS $2000: A deceitful, planned operation is this 5-letter type of "job"

BROADWAY LYRICS $400: According to a song from "Camelot", it's a "lusty" month "when ev'ryone goes blissfully astray"

BROADWAY LYRICS $800: In a song from "Chicago", we're told to "give 'em the old" this title, "give 'em an act with lots of flash in it"

BRITANNICA BIOS: "A" $2000: "Pastor and civil rights leader who was Martin Luther King's chief aide and closest associate"

BROADWAY LYRICS $1200: "Nothing portentous or polite, tragedy tomorrow", this "tonight"

BROADWAY LYRICS $1600: Song that says, "you make me smile with my heart; your looks are laughable, unphotographable"
(Alex: And all of that because you're [*].)

BROADWAY LYRICS $2000: "Once in love with" this girl, "always in love with" this girl

THE QUOTABLE KEATS $800: Keats rhymed, "life is but" this long; "a fragile dew-drop on its perilous way" (especially for poor John)

THE QUOTABLE KEATS $1200: Keats called it the "season of mists and mellow fruitfulness, close bosom-friend of the maturing sun"
(Paula: What is spring?)

THE 6 SIMPLE MACHINES $1600: A Mason jar lid & a spiral staircase are examples of this kind of simple machine
(Alex: And that would be [*].)
(Joey: Tough day.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Joey: $10,000
Julie: $6,000
Paula: $2,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BASEBALL STADIUMS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Joey: Wager $2,001 to cover Julie, but no more than $4,399 so as not to fall behind Paula's doubled score.
Julie: You have the hope of surpassing Joey if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $4,001 to force Joey to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $399 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Paula.
Paula: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This Major League Baseball team's current stadium was built for a 20th century Olympics

FINAL SCORES
Paula: $2,800 + $2,800 = $5,600 (Who are the Atlanta Braves) (3rd place: $1,000)
Julie: $6,000 + $4,005 = $10,005 (Who are The Atlanta Braves?) (New champion: $10,005)
Joey: $10,000 - $2,001 = $7,999 (Who are the LA Dodgers) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $19,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Joey: $9,400, 13 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Julie: $8,000, 10 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Paula: $2,800, 9 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $20,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Joey: 13/60 = .217
Julie: 11/59 = .186
Paula: 10/58 = .172
Team: 34/63 = .540

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
GOLDEN GLOBE WINNERS $200: In 2010:
As Sherlock Holmes on film
(Joey: Who is Law?)

SERVICE ORGANIZATIONS $200: Leo Clubs for the youth are extensions of this, the world's largest service club organization
(Joey: What are the Boy Scouts?)

CAPITAL CITY CHURCHES $400: In this Finnish city, the Lutheran Cathedral, also known as Tuomiokirkko
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

GREEK FOOD & DRINK $400: The name of this dish of marinated lamb, skewered & grilled, comes from the Greek for "skewer" & also starts with "s"
(Joey: What's shish kebab?)

THE 6 SIMPLE MACHINES $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew uses a nutcracker to open a walnut.) It may not look like it, but a nutcracker is actually a type of this simple machine, with the arms connected to a fulcrum, helping to amplify physical force

THE 6 SIMPLE MACHINES $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a zipper on the monitor.) The moving part of a zipper is actually this type of simple machine that pushes the teeth apart as it moves down

THE QUOTABLE KEATS $400: In an 1819 letter Keats wrote that this lord & poet "cuts a figure, but he is not figurative"
(Alex: You are right with a minute to go.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Edinburgh
the Knights of Columbus
Brasília
Martin Sheen
Jack Dempsey
Anna Paquin
Kelsey Grammer
Rotary International
Budapest
beauty is truth, truth beauty
axle
a put-up
May
razzle dazzle
Ralph Abernathy
comedy
"My Funny Valentine"
Amy
a day long
autumn/fall
a screw
the Atlanta Braves
Robert Downey, Jr.
the Lions
Helsinki
souvlaki
a lever
a wedge
Lord Byron
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Baseball Stadiums
This Major League Baseball team's current stadium was built for a 20th century Olympics.

Spoiler
Who are the Atlanta Braves? Joey said the L.A. Dodgers.

Joey Gutmann: $10,000-$2,001=$7,999
Julie Reynolds: $8,000+$2,005=$10,005...now a 1-day champion with $10,005
Paula Menasche: $2,800+$2,800=$5,600
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

I had a nice Jeopardy with 10. I took a lucky guess on Brasilia. I went 4/5 with the 1920s category, guessing Lindbergh instead of Byrd.

I also guessed Vienna instead of Budapest on the Cathedral category.

That was a tough DJ. Only 4 right. I had to think about FJ for a second. I thought the Dodgers because of 1984, but Dodger Stadium opened up in the 1960s.

Then I remembered the 1996 Atlanta games and that Turner Field opened in 1997, leading me to correctly guess the Braves.
terrip
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by terrip »

Worst. Game. Ever.

So many TSs and unrevealed clues. I've never been quite so frustrated watching.
AAAhhh...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

An entire category with an interesting name goes unused? Yuch.

Very bad DD bet. The time warning was given long ago, I was pretty sure they weren't going to get to any more clues, She should have bet $3,000 on that one to give her a lock tie if she gets it wrong and the lead if she gets it right. Luckily, she got a guy who wasn't a big sports fan.

Fj an instaget for me.
biesterfield

Post by biesterfield »

Actually, I think the guy was a big sports fan and that helped her. Alex made a comment about him showing confidence after the category was announced. I am also a big baseball fan and answered Dodgers. My thinking was like this "well Atlanta should be too obvious, lets think of other Olympics held in the US, Los Angeles, thus Dodgers." I think most sports fans can't tell you when Dodger Stadium was built.

And yeah that DD wager from the woman was horrid.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

JFanForever wrote:I also guessed Vienna instead of Budapest on the Cathedral category.
Surprised at people going for this, it was a choice between Vienna and Budapest, true, but that name sounds a lot more Hungarian than German, don'tcha think?

Game's A "Foot" $1000: "Foothold" was given, would "a firm footing" work?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

dhkendall wrote:
JFanForever wrote:I also guessed Vienna instead of Budapest on the Cathedral category.
Surprised at people going for this, it was a choice between Vienna and Budapest, true, but that name sounds a lot more Hungarian than German, don'tcha think?

Game's A "Foot" $1000: "Foothold" was given, would "a firm footing" work?
Except when the name Franz Joseph came up, I knew he was Austrian. Hence, my guess of Vienna.
biesterfield

Post by biesterfield »

Also I thought Expos could be an answer for FJ but thought they would be unlikely to give something that is not a current MLB team (at least not in Montreal anymore)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:Very bad DD bet. The time warning was given long ago, I was pretty sure they weren't going to get to any more clues, She should have bet $3,000 on that one to give her a lock tie if she gets it wrong and the lead if she gets it right.
May not have been the best bet, but a "very bad bet"? Nah.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

BLAST YOU CLEM!!!!! The moment I saw Baseball Stadiums come up as the FJ category, I knew you and me both (especially you) would get it. BLAHHHHHHHHHH. :x :x :x

But it was good to see you on the show, anyway... I was rooting hard for you, good sir. I'm jealous of you for accomplishing something I will never accomplish: getting on the show. But that's the only thing I envy you for, as I finally got on your level by receiving my ES avatar. :lol:

P.S. The Panthers are still superior to the Giants. 8-)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

A completely unrevealed category and a completely triple-stumped category? That has to be a first.

Predicted that I'd whiff Golden Globe and Keats, and was not let down. Also preicted 0/5 in Capital City Churches, but I got Helsinki. Overall, only 4 right in J! round for me.

Atlanta never came to mind at all, even though that's usually the first city I think of when I think of Olympic cities.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

So that was a really terrible first round. I think it had some weirdness - Jack Dempsey was undervalued relative to the Ottomans, for example - but really there was no excuse for all these stand-and-stares. Budapest, Rotary, Martin Sheen, etc - it was rough.

Matters were not helped when the middle guy kept hopping into the middle of categories with no sense of what was going on. I'm a big fan of aggressive play, but if it doesn't work it just sucks to watch.

Now, in the DJ, I was more sympathetic. No way I am getting "put-up" job. Souvlaki easier than feta? I felt awesome getting the top two in Broadway, but the rest were a total fog to me without any clue what musical they were from. Keats was surprisingly gettable I thought, but the contestants were so deflated by then it didn't matter. I suppose the lady could have wagered more on simple machines, given that we were running out of options, but I don't blame her for betting just $2000. Just a terrible round, and I think the writing was mostly to blame.

As soon as FJ came up, I figured I would get it, and I did. I also assumed that male Jewish law student from NYC is probably a fan of the NY Mets, so I figured he would get it right given that the Braves are in the same division. Nope! That's what I get for stereotyping!
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Add me to the list of those who said "Dodgers'" on FJ. Ironically though, I was thinking of 1932, not 1984. On another subject, I was surprised to see the Budapest clue so soon after the "Liszt" FJ on Monday. Are Austria and Hungary becoming the new Nebraska?

P.S. Thought "foothold" belonged closer to the top of the board.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I am stunned at the number of people who said the Dodgers. The 1984 Olympics were not *that* far back. And the Atlanta Olympics were not far back at all.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I stuck with Atlanta due to not being able to come up with another team in L.A., and knowing that Dodger Stadium was older, having watched a game there last year in 2011 (with another boardie as a matter of fact).

My first Wednesday get in many many weeks.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Austin Powers wrote:I felt awesome getting the top two in Broadway, but the rest were a total fog to me without any clue what musical they were from.
Really? You didn't know "Once in love with Amy"? I thought that was massively overvalued.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

dhkendall wrote: Game's A "Foot" $1000: "Foothold" was given, would "a firm footing" work?
Wasn't firm in the clue?
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

Managed to skunk Broadway Lyrics, unable to come up with anything just like the contestants. I don't watch plays.

For the second night in a row, one of the negbait answers for FJ! never crosses my mind in favor of what turns out to be the correct one, but does cross my dad's. I had forgotten that Los Angeles had held an Olympics, but I really wouldn't have thought that Dodgers Stadium was that new, nor would I have thought that the name of a baseball team and an Olympic park would have anything to do with each other.