Thursday, January 3, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, January 3, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Austin Powers » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:21 pm

LOL on the rickshaw question, BTW. I saw it and said, "that's a tuk tuk!" Then they flashed up the word "tuk-tuk" and I have to admit that I felt a bit let down.

billiej

Post by billiej » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:23 pm

Linear Gnome wrote:
StrangerCoug wrote:How many people posting learned the answer to FJ! from School House Rock like I did?
[a couple of hours ago:]
Linear Gnome wrote:Who else got today's FJ at least partially thanks to Schoolhouse Rock?
[tap tap] Is this thing on?

(raises hand to both)

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:23 pm

Austin Powers wrote:LOL on the rickshaw question, BTW. I saw it and said, "that's a tuk tuk!" Then they flashed up the word "tuk-tuk" and I have to admit that I felt a bit let down.
Everything I know about tuk-tuks and the Petronas Towers I learned watching The Amazing Race.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:37 pm

Definite SAotD was Hogan's Heroes. Mind boggling.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:53 pm

Humpty Dumpty, Flanders Field, Hogan's Heroes...I'll add Boot Hill to the mix. They got what mattered with the '80s Music and Animal House.

Not spoiling Psycho made me laugh as it has been a few years for the movie to be around. I saw the Hopkins Hitchcock recently and I can't qualify, but I wonder what it would be like for someone to see that 2012 film first and the original Psycho later?

I was with Julie on Pere Lachaise not being able to access the name when I needed it. Mulitiple choice would have been no problem. That DD cost me 8600 to take about half of the 17600 I doubled up on 10 Characters, 5 Authors in the second box Daily Double. Roth was a snap, but I was quickly out of my league with the 1600 and 2000 clues.

The FJ clue gave me nothing to do since 19th was already on my paper after Alex revealed the category. Schoolhouse Rock is likely the first place I learned it for me as well. During the commercial break the only other thought that came to me was something about Potter Stewart.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:05 pm

I don't recall the Schoolhouse rock episode which mentioned the amendments. Could some kind soul link it here, please?

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:13 pm

Just a few nights ago, I watched the episodes IvoryFace86 linked to in the "new old games" thread. One of them (I don't remember which now) asked for the amendment that gave women the vote. I said 18th (I think I got it confused with the mnemonic for the Prohibition amendments: 21 is the drinking age, and 18 is the voting age). Hooray for good timing!

Speaking of timing, I'm going bowling with some camp people tonight, and I was remembering that Jason Keller lost the night we bowled just over a year ago. And then Larry McMurtry, the correct response to the clue that put the nail in his regular-game coffin, came up tonight, and was a triple stumper again.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:13 pm

Bamaman wrote:I don't recall the Schoolhouse rock episode which mentioned the amendments. Could some kind soul link it here, please?

2:10 mark

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:53 pm

I thought this was a poorly played game. So much left open. FJ was an instaget. Wasn't there a question about #18 Amendment recently? Ran cemeteries & several other categories. I wonder if she'd have gotten Pere Lachaise if Jim Morrison was used in the clue? And I too knew about tuktuks because of TAR!

davey

Post by davey » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:14 am

Austin Powers wrote:I thought this was a pretty solid game, some good gets with only a couple of head-slappers by the contestants. Especially once they got some momentum.

The FJ was silly, though. I am sure every contestant guessed ahead of time what the question would ask about (I know that I did), so it basically became a test of whether or not you remembered a certain number. .
Since we tend to use the word "gender" nowadays to talk about discrimination, I certainly didn't think about voting when the category was revealed. I kind of hoped - foolishly, I suppose - that the clue would be about Virginia v. Loving, or even Bowers v. Hardwick...

Still, I knew it was 19 right away...then talked myself out of it and went to 18. Just after time ran out I changed back...

SkeeBallRaif
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SkeeBallRaif » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:15 am

I've always known that it was the 19th amendment without a mnemonic; not sure why. However, I also toyed with switching to the 14th, since 19th seemed so obvious. Stuck with the 19th figuring that That's not the type of trick question you'd see.

Ok, finally have to break down and ask: what is Lach Trash?

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:15 am

billiej wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:
StrangerCoug wrote:How many people posting learned the answer to FJ! from School House Rock like I did?
[a couple of hours ago:]
Linear Gnome wrote:Who else got today's FJ at least partially thanks to Schoolhouse Rock?
[tap tap] Is this thing on?
(raises hand to both)
There are advantages and disadvantages to being a Canadian. The advantage is that every Canadian schoolchild has been made to memorize "In Flanders Fields" in its entirety in school (I'm sure American schoolchildren have some historically significant poem they all memorize too), so the Flanders Fields one was an instaget. The disadvantage is that I have never seen a single episode of Schoolhouse Rock - we get American TV up here, including ABC (my mom says that I was the only kid going into kindergarten that knew how to read because I taught myself by watching Sesame Street), but I don't recall seeing it on TV ever. (Which is strange because it's something that would have been right up my alley as a kid, even if it was very US-centric). Thanks, Mark, for posting that clip, that's maybe the second or third Schoolhouse Rock clip I've ever seen in my life (and all viewed in my adulthood).
SkeeBallRaif wrote:Ok, finally have to break down and ask: what is Lach Trash?
The Glossary is great for defining board terms that you don't know. Here, Lach Trash is defined as:
n. in a round or game of Jeopardy!, Triple Stumpers for which the correct responses are known by a Jeopardy! viewer playing along from home; also, the total dollar-value score associated with such Triple Stumpers.

pronunciation LASH TRASH

etymology "Lach" from Doug Lach, Jeopardy! Season 16 5-time champion and $85,400+ winner, who commented on the Jeopardy! Message Board that his definition of a bad game was one that could be won on Triple Stumpers alone; "Trash" from trash; coined by Mark Barrett in his November 28, 2002 recap of Faith Love's second game (which, coincidentally, is also the origin of the Faith Love scenario).
My SaotD was also Hogan's Heroes, and I'm not even that old! (It was one of the favourite shows of my dad, and we used to watch it together.)

And here I thought the FJ would have to do with Clinton or Kennedy. :mrgreen:
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:26 am

I'm American & I learned that In Flanders Field poem. I doubt I'd have remembered it frankly except I visited that area a few years ago & seeing those tunnels & memorials made a deep impression on me.

Volante
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by Volante » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:18 am

jeff6286 wrote: I expected all 3 players to get this one right, but maybe #19 isn't as well known as I thought. It will be interesting to see how it polls. Someone somewhere should appreciate the irony of the male player getting it right while the two females missed it.
In the other two's defense, they were both mostly within arm's reach (20 is very excusable, 22...not as much given the 18+21 notoriety, but it's still closeish).
Maybe a bonus question in the poll could be "I was within 2 of the right amendment"?

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:05 am

Johnblue wrote:I'm American & I learned that In Flanders Field poem. I doubt I'd have remembered it frankly except I visited that area a few years ago & seeing those tunnels & memorials made a deep impression on me.
I first heard it in Siouxsie and the Banshees' "Poppy Day."

earendel

Post by earendel » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:10 am

*Raises hand*
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Leander

Post by Leander » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:27 am

I'm too old for Schoolhouse Rock, so maybe I have an excuse for knowing which amendment they were looking for, but couldn't remember the number.

Very familiar with the poem "In Flanders Fields", but thought it referred to a general concept of the fields of Flanders and wasn't specific enough to be the name of the location of a cemetery, so smacked myself when that actually was the answer. Did get Pere Lachaise.

ThreeIfByAir
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ThreeIfByAir » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:39 am

Leander wrote:Very familiar with the poem "In Flanders Fields", but thought it referred to a general concept of the fields of Flanders and wasn't specific enough to be the name of the location of a cemetery, so smacked myself when that actually was the answer. Did get Pere Lachaise.
Yes, I was amazed by Flanders, because it's basically half a country. (Why doesn't Belgium just divorce already? They're worse than a pair of warring parents...) I had no idea they'd actually taken a little tiny bit of Flanders and called it Flanders Field. That said, I don't think I got a single answer in that category after Arlington.

And I was off by one on FJ...

davey

Post by davey » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:08 am

Leander wrote:I'm too old for Schoolhouse Rock, so maybe I have an excuse for knowing which amendment they were looking for, but couldn't remember the number.

Very familiar with the poem "In Flanders Fields", but thought it referred to a general concept of the fields of Flanders and wasn't specific enough to be the name of the location of a cemetery, so smacked myself when that actually was the answer. Did get Pere Lachaise.
The poem is more generally alluding to the dead who fell there, and their burial places. Hence Flanders fields in the text. The U.S. burial place is Flanders Field American Cemetery and Memorial. Did the clue ask specifically about it? I don't remember the wording, but I thought the reference to the poem was unmistakable...
EDIT: Well, I see they didn't refer to the poem at all...just put "field" in quotes, which was somehow enough to make the connection...

I remember Schoolhouse Rock, but don't recall this one at all. So I can't blame my bum second-guessing response of "18" on the fact that it starts with a young woman with an "18" on her T-shirt...!
Last edited by davey on Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:31 am

My shouts@TV from this game included Mattel, fathom, Hasbro, Kraft, Humpty Dumpty, James Patterson, Philip Roth, Hogan's Heroes, & Flanders Field

I'm embarrassed that I guessed "Crimean" which was about 50 years later than the (Iberian) Peninsular War.

I should have gotten Larry McMurtry. I knew the character Aurora Greenway from the movie Terms of Endearment but couldn't remember who wrote the book quickly enough. I also should have guessed Saul Bellow from the reference to Henderson the Rain King.

I bet Emily the Latin teacher was sad that she didn't find that DD about the Appian Way.

I knew FJ.

Enjoyed seeing the reference to Otter, Flounder, Pinto, & Bluto. Here's a clip: