Friday, January 4, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, January 4, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6515, 2013-01-04

CONTESTANTS
Alison Shapiro, a publicist from Santa Monica, California
Michele Meyers Beuerlein, a research assistant from Cincinnati, Ohio
Ashok Poozhiklinnel, an underwriter from Wheaton, Illinois (whose 1-day cash winnings total $)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, players. Johnny, thank you very much. Hello, ladies and gentlemen. And we are delighted to have you with us for the next half-hour of answers and questions. They worked well for ashok yesterday, picking up over $21,000. Will they work as well for Michele and Alison? We begin finding out right now as we move into the Jeopardy! Round. One Daily Double will appear in one of the categories. Will it be...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NEWSPAPERS (5/5)
AFRICAN CITIES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MEN'S HAIRSTYLES (5/5)
FILMS BY SUBTITLE (5/5)
HISTORICAL QUOTES (5/5)
"CAT" OR "DOG"? (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ashok: 14 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Alison: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Michele: 6 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alison found the Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Ashok had $200, Michele was scoreless, and Alison was at $400. Alison made it a True Daily Double, wagering $400.

AFRICAN CITIES $600: The name of this largest Moroccan city combines 2 Spanish words

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Ashok: $4,000
Michele: $2,200
Alison: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: I think you're gonna love this story about Alison shapiro, who is from Santa Monica. For your friend's 21st birthday, tell the folks what happened.

Alison: We filled a baby pool with Kraft macaroni & cheese for her to swim in.

[Laughter]

Alex: How many boxes of Kraft macaroni & cheese?

Alison: 168.

[Laughter]

Alex: Did it go over well?

Alison: She was very pleased.

Alex: That's all that counts. Good for you.

Alex: Michele Meyers Beuerlein from Cincinnati, Ohio. One of my favorite cities, the Queen City. How did you meet your husband?

Michele: Well, we thought we met in college at Xavier university, but we found out we met much earlier. In Cincinnati there was a kiddy show called "the uncle al show", and all the little kids go on. It's like a birthday thing. So we were looking through family photographs, and I said, "Oh, we were always on that show. I'm probably right there," and I'm looking at a picture that his family took. My family had the same group photo. So we have met--my husband Scott and I--when we were 5 years old...

Alex: Isn't that wonderful?

Michele: ...and then met 15 years later in college.

Alex: That's good. That's a great story.

Alex: Ashok Poozhikunnel from Wheaton, Illinois. Now, we're talking about Mac and cheese.
I want to hear your story about big macs and cheeseburgers.

Ashok: Yes, sir, so, for my 20th birthday, my friends decided it would be a great idea if I chowed down 20 mcdouble sandwiches in 20 hours.
They bought the sandwiches. I failed miserably. It was pretty sick. Had to finish them up the next day.

Alex: No, you didn't. You didn't have to finish them up the next day.

Ashok: It's the principle, Alex.

Alex: Okay.

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Ashok: $8,800
Alison: $4,800
Michele: $3,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, January 4, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LET ME PREFACE THAT (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: In that category we want you to identify the author whose preface we quote.)
COMPLETE DOM-INATION (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: Not "domination.")
POTPOURRI (5/5) (Alex: A little bit of everything.)
MUSICAL NUMBERS (3/5)
I'M BURNIN' FOR YOU (4/5)
10-LETTER WORDS (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ashok: 11 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Alison: 7 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Michele: 4 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alison snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Ashok had $8,800, Michele had $1,400, and Alison was at $8,000. Alison wagered $1,000.

COMPLETE DOM-INATION $800: This Wisconsin city claims to have built the USA's only granite dome
(Alison: What is Milwaukee?)
(Alex: No, sorry, it's the state capital, [*].)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Ashok who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Ashok had $14,400, Michele had $3,800, and Alison was at $9,800. Ashok wagered $3,000.

LET ME PREFACE THAT $400: "The tribe... was a mighty people, called the 'Mahicanni,' or, more commonly, the 'Mohicans'"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LET ME PREFACE THAT $2000: "Erewhon is pronounced as a word of three syllables, all short"
(Michele: Who is Thomas Moore?)
(Alex: No, [*] is the author.)

I'M BURNIN' FOR YOU $1200: William Tyndale, who completed his English translation of this in 1525, was burned in Brussels in 1536
(Michele: What is the Bible?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Michele: What is the Bible in English?)
(Ashok: What is the translation of the Vulgate?)
(Alison: What is the King James Bible?)

MUSICAL NUMBERS $800: Steely Dan:
"Hey ___"
(Alison: What is 16?)
(Alex: You missed it by 3. Hey [*].)

10-LETTER WORDS $400: In Olympic gymnastic events, it precedes "all-around men" & "all-around women"
(Alex: And the 10-letter word is [*].)

10-LETTER WORDS $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew delivers the clue.) This invention sped up the flow of news from behind the beyond. In 2001, this one sent the only realtime images of U.S. surveillance personnel being freed from China
(Alex: And it is called [*].)

MUSICAL NUMBERS $1600: Public Enemy:
"___ Is A Joke"

10-LETTER WORDS $2000: This term for a shabbily clothed, dirty child, is the name of a demon in the poem "Piers Plowman"
(Alex: And that word is [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Ashok: $24,600 (lock game)
Alison: $9,000
Michele: $5,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
IMAGINARY CHARACTERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
Ashok: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $6,599 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Alison: Wager $1,001 to cover Michele.
Michele: You have the hope of surpassing Alison for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $3,000 and $4,998.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
For a 1912 play they were dubbed Blick, Flick, Glick, Snick, Plick, Whick & Quee; 25 years later, they got new names

FINAL SCORES
Michele: $5,000 + $5,000 = $10,000 (Who are the Seven Dwarves) (3rd place: $1,000)
Alison: $9,000 + $3,999 = $12,999 (Who are the Seven Dwarves?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Ashok: $24,600 - $6,599 = $18,001 (Who are the Munchkins?) (2-day champion: $18,001)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Ashok: $22,000, 25 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Alison: $10,200, 17 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Michele: $5,000, 10 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $37,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Ashok: 25/59 = .424
Alison: 18/60 = .300
Michele: 11/58 = .190
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
AFRICAN CITIES $800: Wooden 2-story verandas in this Liberian capital are an architectural link to the U.S. south
(Alison: What is LIberia?)

MEN'S HAIRSTYLES $200: What you're seeing is the hairstyle created when 500,000 of these pass through your body

MEN'S HAIRSTYLES $400: Don't wig out--this monarch from 1643 to 1715 had dozens of wig makers working for him

MEN'S HAIRSTYLES $600: In a painting by Matthias Stom, this biblical figure is in the process of becoming dis-tressed

MEN'S HAIRSTYLES $800: In 1786, Gilbert Stuart painted Chief Joseph Brant, who was--go figure--head of this tribe

MEN'S HAIRSTYLES $1000: The hairdo of this comic-strip prince has gone in and out of fashion

LET ME PREFACE THAT $1200: "'Jude the Obscure' is simply an endeavour to give shape... to a series of... personal impressions"
(Alex: [*] is the author.)

COMPLETE DOM-INATION $1200: This sacred structure dates from the late 600's A.D.

COMPLETE DOM-INATION $2000: The structure seen here, in this city, is technically not a dome since it uses masts & cables for support

POTPOURRI $2000: After Elizabeth's death in 1603, the crown passed to King James, the first of this royal house to rule England
(Alex: [*] is the house.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Casablanca
Madison
(James Fennimore) Cooper
Samuel Butler
the New Testament
individual
a videophone
ragamuffin
The Seven Dwarves
Monrovia
volts
Louis XIV
Samson
Mohawk
Prince Valiant
Thomas Hardy
the Dome Of The Rock
London
Stuart
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

Had a good game that should have been better. I missed some real easy ones. I went 4/5 on the African cities category, missing Casablanca because for some reason I was trying to think of Morocco's capital and I knew it wasn't Casablanca. I also missed Wall Street Journal and San Francisco though I should have gotten it.

For the New Testament clue, I went with the 95 Theses, even though Luther was German. I couldn't think of anything else.

13 right in Jeopardy + 10 right in DJ gave me a score of 23 today.

For FJ, I did not know that, per se, but the only thing I could've thought of were the Seven Dwarves. So I went with that.

I did not get the chance to see yesterday's Jeopardy because I was not home but I am very impressed with Ashok. He is super fast on the buzzer and really has potential to make a good run. I thought Kris Hamilton was fast on the buzzer too, though. Nonetheless, congratulations to him.
Frank Hardy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Frank Hardy »

OMG!!1! A DAILY DOUBLE IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY ROUND IN THE $400 SLOT!!! THE MAYANS WERE RIGHT!!! THE WORLD IS GOING TO END!!! :o :shock: :o
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Oddly, Talladega Nights was my only get in Film Subtitles. William Henry Harrison kept me from running Newspapers.

Top-box Daily Double get!

0/5 in Preface and Domes. Drew a blank on Superdome; outright NHO the other four. Also went 0/5 in Burnin'.

Individual seemed rather obscure in 10-Letter for $400.

Videophones are actually a thing?

Surprisingly, $800 was my only miss in Musical Numbers. I knew "5 O'Clock" because Todd in the Shadows reviewed it (I've been saying that a lot), "911 Is a Joke" because I saw it on TV Tropes (been saying that a lot too), and "500 Miles" because my sister did it a lot on Singstar.

Seven names + 1937 = Seven Dwarves. Got it.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I haven't seen or read about Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs since I was a kid. Imaginary? If you say so (I assume they meant 'imaginary' within the context of the story, else, why not just say 'fictional'?). Still, there were seven names, so that made it easy to guess. Plus 1937 sounded about right for the movie.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Imaginary Characters
For a 1912 play they were dubbed Blick, Flick, Glick, Snick, Plick, Whick & Quee; 25 years later, they got new names.
Spoiler
Who are the Seven Dwarves? Ashok said the Munchkins.
Ashok Poozhikunnel: $24,600-$6,599=$18,001...now a 2-day champion with $39,601
Alison Shapiro: $9,000+$3,999=$12,999
Michele Myers-Beuerlein: $5,500+$5,000=$10,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Frank Hardy wrote:OMG!!1! A DAILY DOUBLE IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY ROUND IN THE $400 SLOT!!! THE MAYANS WERE RIGHT!!! THE WORLD IS GOING TO END!!! :o :shock: :o
Has there EVER been a DD in the 400 (or 200) before? Don't think I've ever seen it.

Well done Ashok.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

^ They're super rare, but I've seen one or two. I've always wondered why DDs are so rarely in the top two boxes — is it to decrease the odds of someone hitting it right out of the gate and having little to wager on it?
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

xxaaaxx wrote:I haven't seen or read about Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs since I was a kid. Imaginary? If you say so (I assume they meant 'imaginary' within the context of the story, else, why not just say 'fictional'?). Still, there were seven names, so that made it easy to guess. Plus 1937 sounded about right for the movie.
I had the exact same thought process; "Fictional Characters" would have made much more sense as a category, but I got it for the stated reasons.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Interesting that both ladies matched me in answering "Dwarves" rather than "Dwarfs". I knew that the Disney film used Dwarfs, but for some reason had the impression that Walt Disney changed the spelling, so I figured the play would have been Dwarves. It turns out the 1912 play used the same spelling, so I don't know where I came up with the idea that Disney changed it. After a bit of research, I've found claims that dwarfs should actually be the preferred spelling, but it was Tolkien who instead chose to use dwarves as the plural. I can't really figure out why dwarfs would be preferred gramatically. Looking at a similar word, wharf, it seems that both wharves and wharfs can be used, though wharves seems to be the preference. Once again, I may have put just a little too much thought into this issue. But hey, that's why we're here, right?

Regardless, it was an absolute instaget, with 7 names in the clue and 1912+25 instantly leading to the year of Disney's first animated feature, as I am a bit of a Disney buff. When will we get a clue about Saludos Amigos or The Three Caballeros? Three days in a row I've had the correct response written down before the music began. That has got to be a record.

Unfortunately I wouldn't have had much money left for FJ, because after getting the Superdome for $400, I would have bet really big on the DD in the $800 box, only to be met with the rude awakening that the whole category was not going to be about sports domes. Granite dome? Huh?

Nice performance by Ashok today, turning on the jets late in DJ to cruise to a lock game. Good thing he did, since he had the only miss on FJ.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

And I end the week much better off in terms of correct FJ! responses than I have been since I signed up for this site, with Monday being the only miss. I counted seven names, and thought of the Seven Dwarfs. The time period fit in my mind, too.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Did anybody else answer "ex cathedra" for the "dogmatically" clue?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote:Did anybody else answer "ex cathedra" for the "dogmatically" clue?
No, but I can't see it not being accepted.

Also, voltage does not go through your body, current does.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Robert K S wrote:Did anybody else answer "ex cathedra" for the "dogmatically" clue?
Yeah, I did.

Nice to see I'm in good company.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alison gave me a triple reminder combination with the voice of Kaley (Penny) Cuoco and an appearance hybrid of Ashley Tisdale and Kathy Griffin. She's one that I suspect would have been even better with a game of experience although I hated the true DD and not $1000 on the first DD.

Root clue of the night: Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

I knew trouble was possible, but I took the gamble anyway going for all of my 15400 on the Dome DD. With the first one the Superdome I was hopeful the DD in the next box would be another sports venue. I've been watching the show long enough to know it could be something geographical not in the stadium area and I tried the Milwaukee guess as well. The next DD in the first box of Preface was an easy all in whether my funds were smaller or not.

Erewhon a TS? The Butler work has been used enough times over the years. As Brad (Hamilton not Rutter) would say, "Learn it. know it. Live it."

I'm glad the 10-letter "individual" was not a DD or FJ clue. The gymnastics term I've heard plenty of times, but solving the first box clue had unable to get it.

Imaginary Characters had me go with one precall of Peter Pan. Switching to Seven Dwarfs took little time once I made sure Snow White was not going to be part of the response. Writing Doc, Dopey, Happy, Grumpy, Sleepy, Sneezy, Bashful would have been hampered by space limitation on the show although they would have to be as correct with no title requirement in the clue's wording.

This week it was 3 men and 8 women on the five programs. I just happened to notice and have no idea if that is a rarity or happens every so often?
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I can categorically state that I said something else.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The last top-row DD was during Matt Kohlstedt's run nearly three (whoops, where does the time go? Four) years ago, I believe. A little earlier that season there'd been another. Both were missed. (Edit: there was one in season 27. The player got it right.)
Links to these games:
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3517 season 27
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2884 Kohlstedt
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2811 earlier season 25

My comment on the FJ category reveal: "Aren't all characters imaginary?" My precall was Harvey; that clue was Kids' Week easy.
Last edited by seaborgium on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

seaborgium wrote:My comment on the FJ category reveal: "Aren't all characters imaginary?" My precall was Harvey.
Ditto!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

As easy as counting to seven. I'm kind of amazed he missed it, though I (and I'm projecting) get the whole tunnel-vision thing, especially when you have the win locked up and can take the foot off the gas.
Twitter: @jfrumkin