Online Test Recap & Discussion (Central), January 7, 2013

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

The Surreal...
Contributor

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Central), January 9, 2013

Post by The Surreal... »

nserven wrote:
17. The Elements
Neon and other gases got this collective name because it was believed they could not form compounds
I said noble gases, but looking at the clue more closely I am assuming they were going for inert gases.

But then Wikipedia says:
Unlike noble gases, an inert gas is not necessarily elemental and is often a compound gas. Like the noble gases the tendency for non-reactivity is due to the valence, the outermost electron shell, being complete in all the inert gases.[2] This is a tendency, not a rule, as noble gases and other "inert" gases can react to form compounds.
What is the right answer?
I think they were looking for Noble (Neon, which is elemental seems to be the hint) but arguably inert is correct too (as they didn't specify elemental or compound). My guess is that both will be accepted as correct.

soxfan99
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by soxfan99 »

This marks the first time I've passed. I definitely got 38, and then am unsure about the following answers:

Ethiopia
inert
Baby Ruth Ginsberg" (no Bader),
roqoqo (butchered the spelling)
Jones (is that his last name, or would I need Paul Jones?)

Now I'll just have to A) wait to see if I get an interview, and B) hope that the interview is at a time when I'm in the country and not travelling.

jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

40, with a lot of luck involved. Many of the answers did not come from my head, but much lower. Considerably tougher than last night's.
Twitter: @jfrumkin

gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Looks like I may have squeaked by with a 35. Fairly happy about this.

I am still sure the projected answer to 14 has to be wrong - I currently get that publication in print at work, and their website offers subscriptions in print or digital (I just looked). Any other guesses as to what it could be?
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca

The Surreal...
Contributor

Post by The Surreal... »

Robbo wrote:Would ITunes for question 33 be deemed acceptable?

Also, for question 44, would Mule be a possible answer (not much of an expert on women's fashion, or fashion in general)?
Pretty sure Mule is correct. Not a lot of ladies' shoes with four letters, and a mule fits the definition.

Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

45! I've never done so well before this. Must be the total lack of pressure. :D

AlphaDummy
Valued Contributor

Post by AlphaDummy »

On the bubble in the worst way. Ethiopia gives me 35. Unless the powers that be give me "discreet" in place of "genteel". Not holding my breath on that one, though.

Setho
Valued Contributor

Post by Setho »

gamawire wrote:Looks like I may have squeaked by with a 35. Fairly happy about this.

I am still sure the projected answer to 14 has to be wrong - I currently get that publication in print at work, and their website offers subscriptions in print or digital (I just looked). Any other guesses as to what it could be?
From wikipedia: In October 2008, citing losses of $US18.9 million per year versus $US12.5 million in annual revenue, the Monitor announced that it would cease printing daily and instead print weekly editions starting in April 2009.[19] The last daily print edition was published on March 27, 2009.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

bassoabsurdo wrote: Books in the News
"All In" by Paula Broadwell is subtitled "The Education of" this man

Would just Petraeus be acceptable here or since it's quoted would you need both? It took me way too long to even remember the guy's last name. Was terrible.
Yes, they are asking for the man in the subtitle, not the full subtitle.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

boson wrote:
(ps. Hi everyone! I've been absent or only lurking since approximately October 26th. Coincidentally, that is when my son was born. Happy New Year!)
Congratulations!

nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Is there a difference between Black Forest Cake and Bavarian Chocolate cake?

The Surreal...
Contributor

Post by The Surreal... »

bassoabsurdo wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:Did it ask for the largest of the 3 countries on the Horn of Africa? I answered Somalia, which would be right if that's what it said, but Wiki includes Ethiopia, making 4 countries on the Horn, (Djibouti and Eritrea the others) so now I'm thinking I imagined that the 3 was in there. Could they be just counting countries that touch the coast as part of the Horn, or would the entire projection be considered the Horn? Actually, looking at a map, if Ethiopia counts, then at least part of Kenya should to, so maybe I was right about Somalia?
Good danged question. I put Ethiopia and didn't give it a second thought. I wonder if they'll count that wrong.
Would think they might have to accept Ethiopia & Somalia. Ethiopia is only partly in the horn, and the question definitely said 3 countries even though there are 4 (or 5) at least partly in the Horn.

Setho
Valued Contributor

Post by Setho »

nserven wrote:Is there a difference between Black Forest Cake and Bavarian Chocolate cake?
Just ran a google search for Bavarian chocolate cake. First few recipes I saw didnt have cherries as the question stated.

The Surreal...
Contributor

Post by The Surreal... »

nserven wrote:Is there a difference between Black Forest Cake and Bavarian Chocolate cake?
Geographically there is. The Black Forest is not in Bavaria, it's in Baden-Wurttemberg, on the west side of southern Germany.

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

gamawire wrote: I am still sure the projected answer to 14 has to be wrong - I currently get that publication in print at work, and their website offers subscriptions in print or digital (I just looked). Any other guesses as to what it could be?
I think the Christian Science Monitor is the intended answer, but it may just be a bad question. The version you get at work, is it just once a week? It looks like the daily version of the paper is published online only, but they have a weekly magazine-type version that is still sent through the mail. The "one religious article per day" bit definitely points to the CSM, but the fact that the daily online newspaper version and the weekly magazine version share the same title certainly would confuse people when the question says that that it is "now online-only".

Anyone with a score of 34 and a miss on this question could e-mail the show and explain that this question was a bit flawed. Same thing with the Horn of Africa question. I would be curious to see what, if any, response they might give to these questions.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Setho
Valued Contributor

Post by Setho »

The Surreal... wrote:
Geographically there is. The Black Forest is not in Bavaria, it's in Baden-Wurttemberg, on the west side of southern Germany.
That is not relevant to the question though. The question just said the cake was named after a German region. Bavaria fits that, but I cant find a Bavarian chocolate cake with cherries in it.

gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Setho wrote:
gamawire wrote:Looks like I may have squeaked by with a 35. Fairly happy about this.

From wikipedia: In October 2008, citing losses of $US18.9 million per year versus $US12.5 million in annual revenue, the Monitor announced that it would cease printing daily and instead print weekly editions starting in April 2009.[19] The last daily print edition was published on March 27, 2009.
Cut and pasted from CSM's website just now:

Weekly review of global news and ideas
Balanced, insightful and trustworthy
Subscribe in print or digital

Special Offer
Print Digital

Plus, I promise you - I still get it in print at work. So I'm confused.

ETA: Just re-read your post. So it's weekly now and not daily - that's still not online only, right?
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

gamawire wrote:ETA: Just re-read your post. So it's weekly now and not daily - that's still not online only, right?
Nope, it's not. I think it was just a flawed question.

Setho
Valued Contributor

Post by Setho »

gamawire wrote:
Setho wrote:

Cut and pasted from CSM's website just now:

Weekly review of global news and ideas
Balanced, insightful and trustworthy
Subscribe in print or digital

Special Offer
Print Digital

Plus, I promise you - I still get it in print at work. So I'm confused.
To be honest I think you are reading into things too much. There isnt any other publication that fits the question. If push came to shove and an explanation had to be offered, I think they would say that the weekly review is a different publication from the old daily print edition. They might have the same title but they are different publications. The daily CSM was not a weekly review of global news and ideas, it was a daily newspaper.

The Surreal...
Contributor

Post by The Surreal... »

Somewhere between 35 & 37 for me, depending on Somalia & Noble Gases.
Have done the on-line test 3 times, and this is I think my lowest score. Got the invite the last two times; I'm betting this time I miss out (especially since I picked L.A., which probably has the most people auditioning there as there weren't any other West Coast options), although I suspect this one is graded on a curve as it was pretty difficult and the reported results seem lower than other tests.
Given that I've been trying out since 1985, and have had the in-person audition 4 times, I can only hope that they're waiting for my 30th anniversary of try-outs to finally give me the call, now that old age has dulled my reaction times and degraded my memory.