Thursday, January 10, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, January 10, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6519, 2013-01-10

CONTESTANTS
Natalie Hudson, an attorney and taiko drummer from Houston, Texas
Parker East, a performance artist from Tallahassee, Florida
Kristin Morgan, a strategic analyst for NASA from Huntsville, Alabama (whose 1-day cash winnings total $6,700)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to our program. $6,700 doesn't sound like a lot, and it's not on Jeopardy! Usually our champions average about $15,000, $16,000, but we had a tough Final yesterday, but Kristin knocked off a four-day champion to take the champion's lectern position. Parker and Natalie are the challengers, so good luck to all three. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. And today you have to deal with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MOVIE TAGLINES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GEE! IT'S GEOLOGY (5/5)
LETTER SECRET IDENTITIES (5/5)
AMERICANA (4/5)
VICTOR HUGO (5/5)
WHERE IS THAT PLANET? (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Natalie: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Parker: 11 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Kristin: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kristin: $2,800
Parker: $2,800
Natalie: $2,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Natalie Hudson is not only an attorney, she is a drummer--but a special kind of drummer. Tell the folks about that.

Natalie: Yes, I play taiko, which is a form of Japanese drumming.

Alex: These are the guys who are banging on big drums?

Natalie: Yeah, the big, giant drums that are this big and you just wail away at it.

Alex: It sounds like it's fun.

Natalie: Oh, it's great stress relief, too.

Alex: [Chuckles] Oh, I'm sure.

Alex: Okay, Parker East is a performance artist from Tallahassee, Florida, who always wears what?

Parker: One black and one white sock, Alex.

Alex: Okay, why is that?

Parker: I like to remind myself I stand between the pillars of creation and destruction with every step I take. Wax on, wax off--that's sort of deal.

[Laughter]

Alex: Right. Ah!

Alex: Kristin Morgan is our champion. She is a strategic analyst for NASA, which means you do what, now that our space program has changed considerably?

Kristin: Yeah, well, we look at what the agency plans to do now that our goals have changed, and we look, specifically, at how Marshall Space Flight Center can best achieve those goals.

Alex: I was at, uh... in Pasadena the night the Discovery landed on Mars. That was a very exciting evening for everyone.

Kristin: Yes, it was. We're very excited, very proud.

Alex: It's nice to know that we're still involved in space.

[Before Double Jeopardy!, Alex corrects himself: "My memory is not as good as it used to be--it was Curiosity, not Discovery, that landed on Mars when I was at JPL."]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Parker found the Daily Double on the 25th clue. Kristin had $3,600, Parker had $4,400, and Natalie was at $2,600. Parker wagered $2,000.

MOVIE TAGLINES $800: 2000: "She brought a small town to its feet and a huge company to its knees"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AMERICANA $800: Sandy Hook Light, the USA's oldest standing lighthouse, still operates in this state
(Kristin: What is North Carolina?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Natalie: $5,600
Parker: $5,400
Kristin: $5,000

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, January 10, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HISTORICAL ONLINE CHECK-INS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CALL ME ISRAEL (5/5)
POSSESSIVE BOOK TITLES (4/5)
4-LETTER WORLD CAPITALS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
2012 IN MEMORIAM (2/5)
THE "WARD" OF THE DAY (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kristin: 10 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Parker: 9 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Natalie: 5 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kristin snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Kristin had $5,400, Parker had $5,400, and Natalie was at $5,600. Kristin wagered $2,000.

HISTORICAL ONLINE CHECK-INS $800: 1485: @Bosworth Field, leading my side against those wretched Tudors & I need a ride desparately
(Alex: "My horse--my kingdom for a horse." Right. $7,400.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Parker who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 12th clue. Kristin had $10,200, Parker had $6,600, and Natalie was at $6,800. Parker wagered $5,000.

4-LETTER WORLD CAPITALS $2000: Suva, the capital of this island nation, is a shipping & commercial center of the South Pacific

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
2012 IN MEMORIAM $400: In May music fans mourned the death of Robin Gibb & this disco queen
(Parker: Who is Whitney Houston?)
(Kristin: Who is Diana Ross?)

2012 IN MEMORIAM $1600: On his passing, Barbra Streisand said, "he was a true musical genius, but above all that, he was a beautiful human being"

2012 IN MEMORIAM $2000: In summer 2012 The Monkees announced their first tour since the death of this bandmate in February

HISTORICAL ONLINE CHECK-INS $1200: December 1913: I'm in the Mexican state of Chihuahua, 'cause I'm governor now! Viva la revolucion!
(Parker: Who is Huerta?)
(Kristin: Who is Zapata?)
(Natalie: Who is Juárez?)

POSSESSIVE BOOK TITLES $1600: A recent bestseller set in Paris in 1942 & 2002: "____'s Key"

THE "WARD" OF THE DAY $1600: Honest & direct
(Natalie: What is forward?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Parker: $16,400
Kristin: $13,000
Natalie: $9,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LEGAL TERMS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Evenly spaced scores with two-thirds for first.
Parker: Wager $9,600--wagering any more risks falling behind Kristin's wager of $6,200.
Kristin: While wagering all $13,000 may be a rational possibility, your more optimal choice is to wager $6,200.
Natalie: Wager $9,600.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This term for a type of decision is from Old French for "to speak the truth"

FINAL SCORES
Natalie: $9,600 - $3,401 = $6,199 (What is voir dire?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Kristin: $13,000 - $6,201 = $6,799 (What is roll call) (2-day co-champion: $13,499)
Parker: $16,400 - $9,601 = $6,799 (What is nol gu) (New co-champion: $6,799)
(Alex: If you knew the French word for "truth" was vérité, it might have helped you.)
[Chuckles] Ooh. And that puts you in a tie with Kristin, and that means you two are co-champions and you will both return to play again to wrap up the week on Jeopardy! tomorrow.

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Parker: $12,200, 20 R (including 2 DDs), 6 W
Kristin: $11,800, 18 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Natalie: $9,600, 15 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $33,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Parker: 20/60 = .333
Kristin: 18/59 = .305
Natalie: 15/58 = .259
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
GEE! IT'S GEOLOGY $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a geological diagram on the monitor.) The source of many wells & springs is a permeable layer of rock called either a "water-bearing stratum" or this single-word name

MOVIE TAGLINES $400: 1997: "Protecting the Earth from the scum of the universe!"
(Alex: Yes, and that was filmed right here on our lot. Go again.)

MOVIE TAGLINES $600: 2009: "Some guys just can't handle Vegas"
(Parker: Mmm.)
(Alex: [*]. You got it, yes. Parker was struggling to come up with it.)

AMERICANA $1000: A little bird told us this Tennessee city that's home to Dollywood got its name from a river & an ironworks
(Parker: What is Nashville?)

2012 IN MEMORIAM $800: There's a little less laughter in Hollywood since the death of this comic

HISTORICAL ONLINE CHECK-INS $1600: 1949: I'm in Taiwan, setting up a government with other nationalist Chinese leaders
(Parker: Ooh. Who is Mao Zedong?)

THE "WARD" OF THE DAY $1200: It's the opposite of leeward
(Parker: Seward?)

CALL ME ISRAEL $800: Born with the first name "Israel", he became famous as his brother George's lyricist under this name

CORRECT RESPONSES
Erin Brockovich
New Jersey
Richard III
Fiji
Donna Summer
Marvin Hamlisch
Davy Jones
Pancho Villa
Sarah
straightforward
verdict
aquifer
Men in Black
The Hangover
Pigeon Forge
Phyllis Diller
Chiang Kai-shek
windward
Ira Gershwin

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:35 pm

For those of us who took the online test last night, how about the ironic timing of today's Millennium Series clue?

Like some others here, am in the DFW area so get to see the show at 11am. Will try to follow the unwritten rules regarding commenting on TPH's posts, no promises though!

Kebert Xela
Contributor

Post by Kebert Xela » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:58 pm

FJ was an instaget....anyone care to disagree? ;)
SpoilerShow
Awesome ending!!!!! Go for the tie!

JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:20 pm

I am taking my online test tonight. Hopefully I get questions in my favor.

Today was much better than yesterday. 15 right in Jeopardy, with 10 in DJ. I came very close to sweeping both the planets category and 2012 In Memoriam, getting 4/5 in each. Venus stopped me in the planets category and Marvin Hamlisch stumped me. I have heard of him but it was hard for me to get that right just based on a quotation. I thought Davy Jones was too easy for $2,000.

I started off very slow, getting only the Mariana Trench in the Geology category. I can thank South Park for that one.

I got 3/5 in the movie taglines and only 2/5 in the online checkins and four letter capitals. I got 25 but I missed quite a few too. I guessed Mao for the Chinese clue, forward instead of straightforward and even though I thought it might be wrong, I guessed Chad instead of Toga. Should've gotten the Fiji one. I honestly was anticipating a clue on Doha, only for it not to happen.

I know Jeopardy can be lenient on pronounciations, I always thought the Swiss capital was pronounced as "Burn."

For FJ, I had no clue until Alex said the French word, leading me to guess verdict. Oh well.

WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:29 pm

SpoilerShow
Pain for the drummer. Shave $600 off her wager and we have the second 3-way tie.
アタックチャンス!

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:30 pm

JFanForever wrote:I started off very slow, getting only the Mariana Trench in the Geology category.
As someone always seems to ask, with or without the 's' is fine.
I know Jeopardy can be lenient on pronounciations, I always thought the Swiss capital was pronounced as "Burn."
It's much closer to "bairn" than "burn".
For FJ, I had no clue until Alex said the French word, leading me to guess verdict. Oh well.
I just served jury duty yesterday, so the word was fresh in my mind.

Also, the voir in "voir dire" comes from the Old French and Latin for "to say what is true" (it is not at all related to the French "voir" -- to see), so despite the fact that it's really isn't a decision, it means largely the same thing.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:31 pm

Well, it wasn't French, but veritas + dictum = verdict sounded about right, and I had it before Alex finished reading the clue. Not surprised that they struggled, but mildly surprised it was a TS.

I wonder why she bet the extra dollar? I'm all for a tie, especially between two players who dueled each other til the end today, but she should've won this one outright IMO. ETA: not that Parker's extra dollar was great either, but (no offense) I wouldn't expect him to recognize the wagering scenario, whereas a MSB from the leader is entirely predictable.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:35 pm

Golf wrote:For those of us who took the online test last night, how about the ironic timing of today's Millennium Series clue?

Like some others here, am in the DFW area so get to see the show at 11am. Will try to follow the unwritten rules regarding commenting on TPH's posts, no promises though!
Howdy neighbor! :D

Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:39 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:Well, it wasn't French, but veritas + dictum = verdict sounded about right, and I had it before Alex finished reading the clue. Not surprised that they struggled, but mildly surprised it was a TS.

I wonder why she bet the extra dollar? I'm all for a tie, especially between two players who dueled each other til the end today, but she should've won this one outright IMO.
Ditto here. Having read the deleted spoiler, I was inclined to pre-call the tie, but I thought both would take that buck off their wagers with the leader offering the tie.

tashafougere
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by tashafougere » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:03 pm

Hey, if someone remembers, could you post the exact question quote unquote, for the Mariana Trench question in the geology section? Please and thank you!

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:07 pm

A wonderful wager by Kristin! Impeccable logic, which we see so rarely in FJ.

StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:32 pm

I was slow getting the FJ! answer, but I did get it right. I had forgotten the French word for truth, so there I was, trying to at least come up with the French word for "to speak". "Dire". Then I looked at the word "decision", and decided that nothing else made sense to me but "verdict". I probably would have blanked if I didn't know the first thing about foreign words.

Edited to add: In the defense of one of the players, though, "voir dire" has a similar etymology. Still doesn't refer to a decision, though.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:39 pm

Legal Terms
This term for a type of decision is from old French for "to speak the truth".

SpoilerShow
What is a verdict? Natalie said voir dire; Kristin said roll call; Parker looked like he was writing "no guess".
Parker East: $16,400-$9,601=$6,799...now a 1-day (co-)champion with $6,799
Kristin Morgan: $13,000-$6,201=$6,799...now a 2-day (co-) champion with $13,499
Natalie Hudson: $9,600-$3,401=$6,199
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:49 pm

Americana was tougher than I thought it'd be. NHO the team at $200, and I always thought Lizzie Borden was fictional. Pigeon Forge was my only get there.

0/5 in Taglines, Geology, Historical Online.

"Forward" for "Straightforward" seemed like a.) a cruel trap, and b.) a BMS-worthy response. At least, in my book it's far more BMS-worthy than occlude/eclipse.

There's that term "lie in state". I remember being totally baffled on this Final Jeopardy! a few years ago because I had absolutely no idea what it meant to "lie in state".

Truth is verdad in Spanish, veritas in Latin. Ver… ver… ver… verdict. Why is it some days I can actually reason it out like that?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:03 pm

StrangerCoug wrote:Edited to add: In the defense of one of the players, though, "voir dire" has a similar etymology. Still doesn't refer to a decision, though.
It's almost like you read my post or something. ;)

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:53 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:Well, it wasn't French, but veritas + dictum = verdict sounded about right, and I had it before Alex finished reading the clue. Not surprised that they struggled, but mildly surprised it was a TS.

I wonder why she bet the extra dollar? I'm all for a tie, especially between two players who dueled each other til the end today, but she should've won this one outright IMO. ETA: not that Parker's extra dollar was great either, but (no offense) I wouldn't expect him to recognize the wagering scenario, whereas a MSB from the leader is entirely predictable.
That was my reasoning as well.

thenextofken

Post by thenextofken » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:28 pm

When FJ was revealed I thought of words like "verify" and "veracity," and figured it had to start with "ver," but couldn't seem to tease out the correct response.

I understand where Natalie was coming from with her wager, but I wonder if she's kicking herself since she could've won by $1 if she'd wagered differently.

Add me to the list of those suckered by "forward/straightforward." I agree they should've at least given a BMS.

Disappointed that Donna Summer was a TS. Or am I just old? :o

kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:35 pm

thenextofken wrote:When FJ was revealed I thought of words like "verify" and "veracity," and figured it had to start with "ver," but couldn't seem to tease out the correct response.
Likewise for me, followed by a massive head-slap on the reveal... :roll:

-a.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:47 pm

xxaaaxx wrote: I wonder why she bet the extra dollar? I'm all for a tie, especially between two players who dueled each other til the end today, but she should've won this one outright IMO. ETA: not that Parker's extra dollar was great either, but (no offense) I wouldn't expect him to recognize the wagering scenario, whereas a MSB from the leader is entirely predictable.
She was covering Natalie by $1. No strategy but "cover the person behind you by a buck" led to that tie, thanks to evenly spaced scores, Natalie's blind "catch up to Kristin" bet, and the triple stumper.

I question the French origin of "verdict"; it looks like it came straight out of Latin and just lost syllables along the way. There's a legal term for a kind of decision that comes from words meaning "speak truth," and there's a legal term that comes from Old French for "speak truth," and the clue seems to have taken a little from column A and a little from column B. I think Natalie should be brought back.