Friday, January 11, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, January 11, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6520, 2013-01-11

CONTESTANTS
Frances Way, a math and drama teacher from Fort Collins, Colorado
Parker East, a performance artist from Tallahassee, Florida (whose 1-day cash winnings total $)
Kristin Morgan, a strategic analyst for NASA from Huntsville, Alabama (whose 2-day cash winnings total $6,700)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. And welcome, ladies and gentlemen. First time this season we have had co-champions coming back to play. Frances, you're the lone challenger today. But I'm not worried about you. You'll do fine. Good luck to all three of you. Pick up those signaling devices. And we will now go to work with the first round of play. Here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BE SPECIFIC (4/5)
REAL POWER PLAYERS (4/5)
BODY PART-POURRI (5/5)
BEGINS & ENDS WITH O (5/5)
BIO PICKS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
INTERNATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Parker: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Kristin: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Frances: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Frances: $3,200
Kristin: $3,200
Parker: $2,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Frances Way is from Fort Collins, Colorado. She's a math and drama teacher who had a terrible summer job once upon a time.

Frances: [Chuckles] I worked for a jewel thief, Alex.

Alex: A real jewel thief?

Frances: Well, apparently. Um, I was working in Anchorage, Alaska, for a man who'd been a hair dresser and had wanted to become a jewelry designer. I was clerking for him, and some strange characters kept coming in and out. Um, and then finally, I was at work one day and two men in black suits and dark sunglasses came in and locked the door and said, "We're the police. Your boss is under arrest."

Alex: And what happened to your job?

Frances: That was the end of the job, and he hadn't paid me for a while, either, so I was kind of out some money.

Alex: Oh, boo, hiss.

Alex: All right, Parker East is a performance artist from Florida who was a North Dakota homesteader?

Parker: That's right, Alex.

Alex: Which means?

Parker: Means I tried to care for myself and my friends out there. We grew our own vegetables and tried to, you know, provide for ourselves off the land.

Alex: When you're trying to live off the land, what's the most difficult thing to accomplish?

Parker: You got to find a way to trade. You got to lean on those people around you, too.

Alex: Okay, so bartering is very important. All righty.

Alex: Kristin Morgan from Huntsville, Alabama. I take it your husband is a very romantic guy...

Kristin: He is, yep.

Alex: ...because I heard about a trip that you made away from home for a while, came home on Valentine's Day, and were probably a little disappointed that you weren't greeted with flowers until what happened?

Kristin: I went home, and he had planted an entire rose hedge instead, so he said I could have flowers every day instead of just Valentine's Day.

Alex: That's the kind of guy you want to be married to.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Parker found the Daily Double on the 28th clue. Kristin had $3,600, Parker had $2,600, and Frances was at $4,400. Parker made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,600.

BIO PICKS $800: "The Man Who Gave His Name To America" is the subtitle of a 2007 bio of this Italian

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
REAL POWER PLAYERS $600: An announcer once described this 1960s Bears linebacker as "Moby Dick in a goldfish bowl"

BE SPECIFIC $800: You just said "uranium"-- we need this number isotope, the only naturally occurring fissile material
(Parker: What is 238?)

INTERNATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC $1000: Though called a "rio", or river, this body that divides Uruguay & Argentina is considered an estuary

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Parker: $5,400
Kristin: $4,600
Frances: $4,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, January 11, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
"BE" SPECIFIC (5/5) (Alex: Those letters "BE" will come up in each correct response.)
THE KOREAN WAR (3/5)
PRIVATE EYE Q (0/2)
LATIN LEGALESE (3/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ENDINGS ON TV (3/5)
INTO THE SHARK TANK (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: We are going to introduce some famous entrepreneurs of the past who have ventured...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kristin: 11 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Parker: 4 R, 2 W
Frances: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kristin snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Kristin had $7,800, Parker had $4,600, and Frances was at $7,600. Kristin wagered $1,600.

INTO THE SHARK TANK $800: (With the clue, here's Lori Greiner.) Let me check the numbers for your box camera--film rolls for 100 exposures? OK...but isn't $25 a lot for consumers in 1888?

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kristin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Kristin had $11,400, Parker had $7,400, and Frances was at $5,600. Kristin wagered $1,600.

LATIN LEGALESE $800: Meaning "after the fact", this type of law retroactively makes an act criminal that was legal when committed
(Kristin: What is a posteriori?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PRIVATE EYE Q $400: This P.I. is Raymond Chandler's most famous creation
(Frances: Who is Sam Spade?)
(Alex: Who is [*]? Sam Spade was
Dashiell Hammett.)

PRIVATE EYE Q $800: Here's our Kinsey Report:
This Sue Grafton private eye is ex-Santa Teresa P.D.
(Parker: Who is Kinsey Millhouse?)

INTO THE SHARK TANK $1200: (Here's Mark Cuban.) You're a go-getter from Utah who's transmitted a 60-line image of a dollar sign--I like your style! I think this television thing might have a future...Partner!

ENDINGS ON TV $1200: Transport that ended the life of Charlie Harper of 2 1/2 Men
(Kristin: What is a bus?)

ENDINGS ON TV $1600: Transport that ended the life of George O'Malley of "Grey's Anatomy"
(Alex: That was [*].)

THE KOREAN WAR $800: The Korean War was the first time that this type of aircraft was used to carry troops into combat
(Alex: Oh, you're gonna hate yourself for missing this one. What is [*]?)

THE KOREAN WAR $2000: A Security Council resolution issued when the war began demanded the Communists retreat to this parallel
(Parker: What is the 17th?)
(Frances: What is the 39th parallel?)
(Kristin: What is the 33rd parallel?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kristin: $9,400
Parker: $7,400
Frances: $7,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RIVERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Kristin: Wager $5,401 to cover Parker.
Parker: You ought to wager to cover Frances, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings with a wager of all $7,400. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $7,000 (to shut out Frances) or less than $3,400 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Frances). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Kristin.
Frances: Consider risking between $201 and $3,200. This will top a $0 wager by Parker while still beating Kristin on the Triple Stumper (should Kristin wager to cover Parker's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It's the world's longest river whose outflow is into an entirely inland body of water

FINAL SCORES
Frances: $7,200 - $5,200 = $2,000 (What is the Arne) (2nd place: $2,000)
Parker: $7,400 - $7,400 = $0 (What is the (Limpopo crossed off)) (3rd place: $1,000)
Kristin: $9,400 - $5,401 = $3,999 (What is the Zambizi?) (3-day champion: $10,699)
(Alex: [revealing Kristin's response] No, the Zambizi empties into the ocean, but [*] empties into the Caspian Sea.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kristin: $10,200, 21 R (including 1 DD), 6 W (including 1 DD)
Frances: $7,200, 9 R, 3 W
Parker: $5,600, 15 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $23,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Kristin: 21/60 = .350
Parker: 15/59 = .254
Frances: 9/58 = .155
Team: 45/63 = .714

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BE SPECIFIC $200: Just "Rockefeller" isn't enough; we need the first name of Ford's veep
(Kristin: What is John Rockefeller?)

INTERNATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC $600: Lines of latitude & longitude & a bumpier part defined by the Rockies form the borders of this Canadian province
(Frances: What is Edmonton?)
(Parker: What is Saskatchewan?)

INTERNATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC $800: The Bohemian Massif occupies most of this republic
(Kristin: What is Hungary?)

INTO THE SHARK TANK $400: (Here with the clue is Robert Herjavec.) So you wanna build the 1st steel plants in the U.S. to use the Bessemer Steel-making Process? That's some bold 1870s thinking!

INTO THE SHARK TANK $1600: (Here's Robert Herjavec again.) OK, Cyrus--you got your patent in 1834; you sold 2 units in 1840 & 7 in 1842; sales are trending up; tell me why I shouldn't fear your reaper

INTO THE SHARK TANK $2000: (Here's Damon John.) Board games aren't usually my thing, but you sold 40,000 copies of your "Checkered Game Of Life" in your 1st year, during the Civil war? I'm in!

LATIN LEGALESE $1600: "Ignorantia legis neminem excusat" translates to this saying
(Kristin: What is ignorance is no excuse for the law?)
(Alex: Kristin got it inverted there.)
[end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
(Amerigo) Vespucci
Dick Butkus
the Río de la Plata
(George) Eastman
ex post facto
Philip Marlow
Kinsey Millhone
Philo Farnsworth
a subway train
a bus
a helicopter
the 38th parallel
the Volga River
Nelson
Alberta
the Czech Republic
(Andrew) Carnegie
(Cyrus) McCormick
Milton Bradley
Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

Interesting FJ, not impossible if you just run through the list, but a cool question.

Champ had a great opportunity to lock up the game upon finding the last DD in the 2nd row, but made a useless wager. In FJ 3rd place threw away a win with her wager, but have pretty much given up on seeing logical wagers from most (not all) contestants.

The 2k clue in Korean War turned into guess a random number for all three players.

Game just didn't have the flow that recent games have had.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

I got lucky on FJ just now. I'm not good with rivers. I had no confidence in the Volga, I just threw it out there and when Alex said it, I was shocked.

23 right today, going 13 in round one and 10 in round two.

Is it wins or cash amount that qualifies somebody for the Tournament of Champions? What hapens if Kristin is a five or six day champion but wins less than $50,000?
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

JFanForever wrote:
Is it wins or cash amount that qualifies somebody for the Tournament of Champions? What hapens if Kristin is a five or six day champion but wins less than $50,000?
Anyone with 3 or more wins is in the pool, and the list is ranked by wins, followed by winnings (so someone with 5 wins but less than $50,000 gets in over someone who wins $80,000 in three games). If they need to break ties in number of wins to get the TOC field to 15, the people with the most winnings get it.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

At least I knew what lake the correct answer had to drain to. However, I thought the Volga drained into the Black Sea, so I went Ural. :(
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

"Nile? No, they used that already. Miss...no, don't even finish the thought, the Gulf of Mexico isn't a lake. Volga? Drains into the Caspian I think. Yeah, let's go with Volga."

Rough game, rougher outcome. I wonder what the all-time record is for lowest winnings by a 3/4/5 day champ?
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

This should be looked at with doubled values. I've seen multiple $26,000 for 3-day such as Josh Powell or Jessamine Price, but this may be the award for the lowest I've seen since the doubled values.

Of course, where's Nick when you need him?
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
billiej

Post by billiej »

JFanForever wrote:I got lucky on FJ just now. I'm not good with rivers. I had no confidence in the Volga, I just threw it out there and when Alex said it, I was shocked.
Same here. Had no clue, toward the end of the think music said "WTH, I'll say Volga just to have something." :shock:
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Golf wrote:The 2k clue in Korean War turned into guess a random number for all three players.
From Wednesday's thread:
bpmod wrote:
marpocky wrote: but isn't the (approximate) latitude of Seoul and Pyongyang fairly well known? The 38th parallel being the (approximate) dividing line between the Koreas.
Stop 'em at the thirty-eighth parallel
Blast those yellow reds to hell

Brian
Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

With three wins & $17,498, Kristin moves into 29th place in the 2011-13 ToC standings.

If she wins on Monday, she'll make a pretty big jump in the standings, eh? :o
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Frank Hardy wrote:With three wins & $17,498, Kristin moves into 29th place in the 2011-13 ToC standings.

If she wins on Monday, she'll make a pretty big jump in the standings, eh? :o
Maybe the biggest yet!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

The El Paso market here had a good part of the first portion of the show out of sync, with the audio about a clue to a clue and a half behind the video. I found that a bit distracting. The Shark Tank clues came around when the guys at KDBC (the station here that airs Jeopardy) corrected the sync problem, but I STILL didn't understand the category.

Surprised that Parker guessed the 17th parallel for the $2,000 Korea clue. That would put the Koreas in the tropics, and from what I've seen of Korea, it's nowhere near tropical.

I hadn't the slightest idea where to begin for FJ. I said "Missouri" toward the end of the thinking time.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Rivers
It's the world's longest river whose outflow is into an entirely inland body of water.

Spoiler
What is the Volga? (empties into the Caspian Sea) Frances said the Arne; Parker had nothing, after beginning to write the Limpopo, but crossing it out ; Kristin said the Zambezi.

Kristin Morgan: $9,400-$5,401=$3,999...now a 3-day champion with $17,498
Parker East: $7,400-$7,400=$0
Frances Way: $7,200-$5,200=$2,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Golf wrote:Interesting FJ, not impossible if you just run through the list, but a cool question.

Champ had a great opportunity to lock up the game upon finding the last DD in the 2nd row, but made a useless wager. In FJ 3rd place threw away a win with her wager, but have pretty much given up on seeing logical wagers from most (not all) contestants.

The 2k clue in Korean War turned into guess a random number for all three players.

Game just didn't have the flow that recent games have had.
lol@
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

two days straight I get the FJ while it stumps the contestants.

Volga and Danube came to mind so once I got rid of Danube(length and location), it had to be Volga(Tuesday's Caspian Sea clue from the online test sure helped!).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

StrangerCoug wrote:The El Paso market here had a good part of the first portion of the show out of sync, with the audio about a clue to a clue and a half behind the video. I found that a bit distracting. The Shark Tank clues came around when the guys at KDBC (the station here that airs Jeopardy) corrected the sync problem, but I STILL didn't understand the category.

Surprised that Parker guessed the 17th parallel for the $2,000 Korea clue. That would put the Koreas in the tropics, and from what I've seen of Korea, it's nowhere near tropical.

I hadn't the slightest idea where to begin for FJ. I said "Missouri" toward the end of the thinking time.

The Shark Tank is a reality show where people with busineses come to a group of super rich business people (the ones giving the clues) asking them to invest in their products. The category today was just the panelists from the show giving clues about famous businessmen.

I also guessed Missouri, but knew it was probably wrong.

For the second straight day, the champ keeps her crown thanks to an overwager by third place. Will be pulling for her to make the TOC Monday. Has there ever been someone from Alabama to make it?
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

xxaaaxx wrote:I wonder what the all-time record is for lowest winnings by a 3/4/5 day champ?
Here are the lowest totals I know of for X-day cash winnings in the post-doubled era:

1-day: $255 - Murtaza Sutarwalla
2-day: $6,999 - Joanne Platt
3-day: $17,498 - Kristin Morgan (was $23,999 - Laura Wimberley)
4-day: $38,898 - Phillip Steele
5-day: $54,900 - Paul Nelson
6-day: $94,752 - Christopher Short
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Bamaman wrote:
StrangerCoug wrote:The El Paso market here had a good part of the first portion of the show out of sync, with the audio about a clue to a clue and a half behind the video. I found that a bit distracting. The Shark Tank clues came around when the guys at KDBC (the station here that airs Jeopardy) corrected the sync problem, but I STILL didn't understand the category.

The Shark Tank is a reality show where people with busineses come to a group of super rich business people (the ones giving the clues) asking them to invest in their products. The category today was just the panelists from the show giving clues about famous businessmen.

I also guessed Missouri, but knew it was probably wrong.

For the second straight day, the champ keeps her crown thanks to an overwager by third place. Will be pulling for her to make the TOC Monday. Has there ever been someone from Alabama to make it?
whose spot is she taking should she win again?
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

I believe Patrick Morrison currently has the 15th spot.