Tuesday, January 15, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:30 am

Placeholder for J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:30 am

Placeholder for DJ! Round

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jeff6286 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:39 am

U.S. Landmarks
Design artist Iwao Takamoto said the exterior for the Skypad Apartments on "The Jetsons" was inspired by a landmark in this city.

SpoilerShow
What is Seattle? Scott crossed out Tokyo and said Chicago.

Kristin Morgan: $22,000+$8,000=$30,000...now a 5-day champion with $69,098
Katie Collins: $13,800+$13,799=$27,599
Scott Mitchell: $1,200-$1,000=$200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

falsifieddocuments
Valued Contributor

Post by falsifieddocuments » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:07 pm

Pretty easy final, although I've been watching "Frasier" reruns on Hulu lately, so maybe Seattle was just on my mind. (Side note: Do any other 20-somethings on these boards sometimes feel like they're in the wrong demographic when there are ads for retirement homes and ED pills on every show they watch?)

Nice game. I was really pulling for the champ because she's gotten a lot better over these last two games. Plus I'm hoping for a third tie. I did a fist pump when she got Rebecca (partially because I got it right too — I can never keep Rebecca and Rachel straight, but I picked right this time).

Anyone remember the last time we had a category match someone's career so perfectly? I remember a rabbi had the Old Testament as a category, I think a little after Ken Jennings' run, but I'm sure there have been more recent examples.

I went 20 for 30 in J round. I thought "A Confederacy of Dunces" was extremely overvalued at $1,000. I only got the last two in that category, but I probably should've guessed Dr. Seuss.

And 17 for 30 in DJ. I cleared NASA and got 0 for Canada. The Hundred Days also seemed overvalued at $2,000/Daily Double. I think the co-champ must have blanked on the number reference with his answer.

okstater04
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by okstater04 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:37 pm

falsifieddocuments wrote:
Anyone remember the last time we had a category match someone's career so perfectly? I remember a rabbi had the Old Testament as a category, I think a little after Ken Jennings' run, but I'm sure there have been more recent examples.
I work at a university, and I had "Colleges and Universities." I know, I'm stretching it. :D

I was also auditing a course called, "The History of Rock and Roll" and had a "Rock and Roll" category. Too bad my buzzing in thumb was broken during that category (only picking up one rebound).

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:28 pm

falsifieddocuments wrote: (Side note: Do any other 20-somethings on these boards sometimes feel like they're in the wrong demographic when there are ads for retirement homes and ED pills on every show they watch?)
Yo. (Well, not 20-something, more like 40-something, but still way out of the target demographic.) I know that the average age of a Jeopardy! viewer is "deceased", the only thing that consistently reminds me that I'm not way out of their target demographic when I watch is seeing young contestants every week.
falsifieddocuments wrote:Plus I'm hoping for a third tie.
Has anyone else had two ties (outside of Ken)? For that matter, I wonder if there's been a repeat tie (to illustrate, I wonder if Johnny has had to introduce "returning co-champs" where one has a *2* day cash winnings, and the other has more than two?)
falsifieddocuments wrote:Anyone remember the last time we had a category match someone's career so perfectly? I remember a rabbi had the Old Testament as a category, I think a little after Ken Jennings' run, but I'm sure there have been more recent examples.
Cue the Sony Board Outrage (tm). :roll:
falsifieddocuments wrote: got 0 for Canada.
I have yet to see a hard (for Canadian) clue on the show about Canada. Seriously, Canadians can answer obscure trivia about Americana, why can't Americans answer obscure trivia about Canadiana? Especially Jeopardy contestants, who have a broad knowledge range! I swear, some of the Canadian answers lately have been very laughable! ("Edmonton" as a province on Friday??) (I hope that didn't need spoilering ... )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:28 pm

Was it just me, or did Alex's quip about the NASA category appear to be done in post?

4/5 in Magazines, guessing Mad on $1000 since I was thinking of their "20 Dumbest People, Things, and Events About 2000", which also had a Survivor theme. Foal/loaf also cost me the run in 4 Letter, since I couldn't get "mare" out of my head. (And I bet you thought I'd get hung up on "pony", since we all know I used to wonder what friendship could be.)

Got only $200 in Stupid Answers, incredibly. NHO Guinea-Bisseau, overthought $600 and $800, and of course, the $1000 is always way harder than the rest.

Ran "Poi", but went 0/5 in Wells and World History.

No guess whatsoever on FJ! Had the circular appearance of the Jetsons' house in my head right away, but Googie architecture is all over the place, so I was completely unable to zero in on a landmark. If pressed, I'd have probably given the Gobbler hotel as a joke answer.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:31 pm

dhkendall wrote:I have yet to see a hard (for Canadian) clue on the show about Canada. Seriously, Canadians can answer obscure trivia about Americana, why can't Americans answer obscure trivia about Canadiana? Especially Jeopardy contestants, who have a broad knowledge range! I swear, some of the Canadian answers lately have been very laughable! ("Edmonton" as a province on Friday??) (I hope that didn't need spoilering ... )
None of them were that hard, except for the Maine one, as -- I think -- Quebec is on one side and New Brunswick on the other.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:37 pm

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I have yet to see a hard (for Canadian) clue on the show about Canada. Seriously, Canadians can answer obscure trivia about Americana, why can't Americans answer obscure trivia about Canadiana? Especially Jeopardy contestants, who have a broad knowledge range! I swear, some of the Canadian answers lately have been very laughable! ("Edmonton" as a province on Friday??) (I hope that didn't need spoilering ... )
None of them were that hard, except for the Maine one, as -- I think -- Quebec is on one side and New Brunswick on the other.
And Quebec was already taken (from the New Hampshire clue).

I was thinking/hoping it might have been a little harder, like, for example:

"The nearest Canadian province to ...

Portugal
Mexico
Russia
Alaska
the North Pole"

(note, there are repeats in the answers)
TenPoundHammer wrote:Was it just me, or did Alex's quip about the NASA category appear to be done in post?
No, it looked like he was still reading the category names (not looking at the camera), so it seemed to be done then (plus, I could hear continued murmuring/chuckling (forget which) in the background that was there during both his statement of the category name, and his comment.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CyrusChan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:38 pm

3/5 in Canada and coming up too often. Fj was an instaget/precalled . God I hate stupid categories

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:40 pm

dhkendall wrote:Alaska
Isn't that two of them?

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:53 pm

econgator wrote:
Isn't that two of them?
Yukon--not a province.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:54 pm

bomtr wrote:
econgator wrote:
Isn't that two of them?
Yukon--not a province.
Oh yeah. I always forget about that distinction.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:01 pm

Congrats to Kristin on assuring her a spot in the TOC. Good luck to her this week in the taping. Unless, of course, she went on a run and is still champ and will have to be held over to the next TOC.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:11 pm

I am Canadian -- born and raised, lived there for the first 36 years of my life -- and now live on the East Coast of the US.

So any time Canada comes up on Jeopardy!, I almost expect to run the category (immodest as it may sound), and am a little disappointed if I don't.

Annoyingly, with the clue about Dixville Notch, NH, I couldn't quite come up with the response quickly enough. I realize that it wasn't even the hardest clue in the category.

I definitely would've had it, given another second or two, but I couldn't quite find it. I'm aware that both Vermont and New Hampshire border Quebec and no other provinces, but unfortunately, my not-quite-conscious split-second thought process went something like "New England -- could be Quebec or New Brunswick -- need to think longer."

Then later, I got the Maine one right, even though I wasn't familiar with the particular Maine community in question. I just thought (a) Quebec has already been used, and (b) most places in Maine are probably on or near the coast, which feels closer to New Brunswick than to Quebec.

The two categories that I did run were Religious Leaders and NASA Glossary.

Overall, I did better tonight than Monday. Was tonight's game easier, or am I just rusty at the start of the week?

eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:14 pm

I will admit this Canadian did not get all the Canadian provinces correct. I was ready for Maine being a clue, and Ontario was easy. I did get B.C. The other 2 I needed a bit more time to think about, but the answer was already given by another in the room. I'm not very good at American geograpghy, which is part of the problem.

The same 4 letters category, I kept coming up with 1/2 of the answers.

I really don't like when people talk about how easy FJs are, but this seemed easy. Answers are always easy when you know them.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:21 pm

Shouldn't you be on the other Jeopardy board?

mpandl
Contributor

Post by mpandl » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:22 pm

Well, I think that win pretty much guarantees Kristin a spot in the TOC. She really has come out strong the past 2 games.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:25 pm

alietr wrote:
Shouldn't you be on the other Jeopardy board?
Hey! Don't rub it in!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:27 pm

Didn't do well on the provinces, that's probably something to put on the short list study guide. FJ was an instaget, however.