Tuesday, January 15, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Re: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by StrangerCoug »

I let the name mislead me and bolted for Tokyo at first for FJ, then remembered they're asking about a U.S. city and agreed with the rest of my family that it was Seattle.
Frank Hardy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Frank Hardy »

With five wins & $69,098, Kristin moves into eighth place in the 2011-13 ToC standings.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

alietr wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I have yet to see a hard (for Canadian) clue on the show about Canada. Seriously, Canadians can answer obscure trivia about Americana, why can't Americans answer obscure trivia about Canadiana? Especially Jeopardy contestants, who have a broad knowledge range! I swear, some of the Canadian answers lately have been very laughable! ("Edmonton" as a province on Friday??) (I hope that didn't need spoilering ... )
Shouldn't you be on the other Jeopardy board?
jboard.ca?
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Doesn't get much easier than that. Nice to see the champ showing she deserves her TOC spot this week.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

xD
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I have yet to see a hard (for Canadian) clue on the show about Canada. Seriously, Canadians can answer obscure trivia about Americana, why can't Americans answer obscure trivia about Canadiana? Especially Jeopardy contestants, who have a broad knowledge range! I swear, some of the Canadian answers lately have been very laughable! ("Edmonton" as a province on Friday??) (I hope that didn't need spoilering ... )
Shouldn't you be on the other Jeopardy board?
I'm a Canadian, so no. :) (Yeah, I know, lie about your location, bla, bla, bla, but I still don't see a need to be dishonest, nor does it seem like that board's worth it. Now, if we had to restrict Canadian-ness *here*, however ...)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

lisa0012 wrote:Image

Doesn't get much easier than that.
Unless you're me. I had the image in my head, but could not tie it to any landmark. Even if someone had said "Seattle" I think I'd have said "what landmark is in Seattle?" I'm very well aware of the Space Needle, but it just wasn't on the radar tonight.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I, on the other hand, did not have the image in my head. I know I have seen The Jetsons. Not often maybe, (and not recently,) but I have seen it. So while trying to remember what the particular thing they mentioned looked like, I just thought of a landmark with the word 'space' in its name and stuck with it.

I then spent the next 29.5 seconds trying to think of another landmark with a 'space'y type image.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

bpmod wrote:I then spent the next 29.5 seconds trying to think of another landmark with a 'space'y type image.
Sarah Palin?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

She works for NASA and they have a NASA category and then FJ relates to space flight? Horrors!!!! The Japanese name did throw me for a second, but got there quickly. an image of the Jetsons home never really came into my mind, but it was pretty obvious they were going for the Space Needle.

too slow for the atom/moat clue. I got moat right away, but got stuck trying to think of something fancier for an electron home. I should have remembered to keep it simple when we're talking about a four latter word.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Doesn't get much easier than that. Nice to see the champ showing she deserves her TOC spot this week.
Unless you forget that they're on stilts, then they remind you of this:

Unfortunately my thought of, "Gosh, those aren't famous enough to be asked about by Jeopardy!" was a couple seconds too late.
davey

Post by davey »

Though I had no problem getting tonight's FJ, I hope they give geography a rest! 4 of the last 5 FJs have required geographic responses...

On the other hand, I'm inordinately proud of getting the $1600 and $2000 Women in Sports clues, after blanking, clamming, and punking out (basketball) on the first three...LPGA was a pure guess and Ms.Ederle - well, the farther back they go, the more chances I've had to hear about them!
billiej

Post by billiej »

dhkendall wrote:
falsifieddocuments wrote: got 0 for Canada.
I have yet to see a hard (for Canadian) clue on the show about Canada. Seriously, Canadians can answer obscure trivia about Americana, why can't Americans answer obscure trivia about Canadiana? Especially Jeopardy contestants, who have a broad knowledge range! I swear, some of the Canadian answers lately have been very laughable! ("Edmonton" as a province on Friday??) (I hope that didn't need spoilering ... )
Well, this American got 5/5. :mrgreen:
billiej

Post by billiej »

econgator wrote:
None of them were that hard, except for the Maine one, as -- I think -- Quebec is on one side and New Brunswick on the other.
YEs, the clue specified Eastport, ME, which borders NB. Quebec borders western Maine.
Last edited by billiej on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tagNV
Member of Our Studio Audience

Post by tagNV »

I wonder if I was the only one who thought of this building for Final Jeopardy.

This building was constructed in 1961, The Jetsons started in 1962, so the timing is right.

:(
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

tagNV wrote:I wonder if I was the only one who thought of this building for Final Jeopardy.

This building was constructed in 1961, The Jetsons started in 1962, so the timing is right.

:(
Todd, you are NOT the only one who thought of that. I spent about five seconds there, before I came to my senses. I do, after all, live in Washington, though not in Seattle. Still, I think it was when I started questioning whether LAX would qualify as a 'landmark' that I...oh, wait a minute, duh...

This board was exceptionally easy, I thought. I played off the archive, (Thank you...lisa, right?) and I clammed on only four clues, and three of those, oddly, were the first three clues in published posthumously. The last two were easy pickings, especially the DD. The only other clam was tergiversation between Sask and Manitoba on the Dakota clue. Normally, I would consider geography and literature strengths. Still, coryat over $50k and that's...well, rarity doesn't do the job here. Buzzer race of a game on that kind of difficulty level. Champ looks like no joke now.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

goforthetie wrote:Image
Marina Towers is indeed what I thought of first, but decided that it postdated "The Jetsons" by a couple years.

So then I thought of this:

I can't believe I didn't think of the LAX Theme Building, considering how many times I was at LAX in late December/early January to drop off/pick up people.

Of course, I also can't believe I didn't think of the Space Needle, given its correctness...
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

On the 2k Women in Sports am sure many upon seeing the map for half a second spouted Gertrude Ederle before the actual clue had started.

Even though the NASA category was right in the champ's wheelhouse, Katie was ringing in on all 5 as well. And kudos to her for wagering big on the DD in an category she obviously felt strong in.
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

goforthetie wrote:

Unless you forget that they're on stilts, then they remind you of this:

Unfortunately my thought of, "Gosh, those aren't famous enough to be asked about by Jeopardy!" was a couple seconds too late.
They (Marina Towers) were my first thought too, though more of a JFF kind of answer, as I thought they were newer than they are. I quickly realized it probably was the Space Needle. LAX Airport, also mentioned earlier, did not occur to me and would have given me some doubt.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Yes, the clues were on the easier side tonight based on my scoresheet with 22+21 and a 35,200 Coryat. If I can run NASA Glossary then that tells you it wasn't too bad for a DJ round category. Women in Sports got me with an uppercut when I couldn't place the boxer. I knew I had seen the name and I watched CNBC daily for the boxing coverage during the games. Plus there was the hint of new sport. Fail on my part.

The old saying: What have you done for me lately? Well, Kristin has put the doubts away about her TOC credentials. Whatever was the problem in her early games doesn't matter now. Maybe she can keep going all the way to the Gold group. After tonight I almost feel like I should bump her to Silver and put Colby back in Bronze.

The FJ clue had me think about two things. Will anyone guess Tokyo? Scott had it and got rid of it. Would there be anyone unable to even guess a city? Any city? Naturally.

For the Canadians here: Millionaire had a question that had nothing to do with provinces and nearby U.S. places.

I didn't write the exact wording, but the question wanted the Canadian equivalent of Punxsutawney Phil

Parksville Pierre
Fredericton Freddie
Langford Louie
Wiarton Willie

The contestant used the audience and got:
Spoiler
Pierre 48%
Freddie 28%
Louie 15%
Willie 9%

The value was $100,000. The player walked with her bank of $53,100.