Wednesday, January 16, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6523, 2013-01-16

CONTESTANTS
James Hawthorne Jr., a special education teacher from Rochester, New York
Joan Blinn, a retired proofreader and editor from Chicago, Illinois
Kristin Morgan, a strategic analyst for NASA from Huntsville, Alabama (whose 5-day cash winnings total $69,098)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Two weeks from now, we will begin our annual Tournament of Champions. And if Kristin keeps winning, she will be involved in that Tournament of Champions. Joan and James, welcome aboard. Good luck. Pick up your signaling devices, because you're going to work right now, in the first round of play, the Jeopardy! Round, and here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HAPPIER REWRITTEN NOVEL ENDINGS (5/5)
THE TRANSPORTER (3/5)
ON TV 10 YEARS AGO (5/5)
A LOTTA MOTTO (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
STATES' MOST POPULOUS CITIES (3/5)
BIRDS WITHIN WORDS (5/5) (Alex: You have to name the bird found within the text of our clue.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kristin: 11 R, 2 W
Joan: 9 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
James: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Joan found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Kristin had $1,400, Joan had $3,000, and James had a deficit with -$600. Joan wagered $1,000.

A LOTTA MOTTO $800: In "Dead Poets Society", Robin Williams rhymes "gather ye rosebuds while ye may" with this similar motto

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Joan: $4,000
Kristin: $1,400
James: -$600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Not so long ago, I spent some time in Europe. And before the trip, I was warned about pickpockets. And James Hawthorne Jr. from Rochester, New York--you had an experience with a pickpocket in which you thwarted his attempt to get your stuff.

James: That's correct. I was in Rome for the very first time, on the Metro. This was the first time I had ever been on the subway in my life. I was in high school at the time. And I'm waiting for the train to open up with the rest of my colleagues. And out of the corner of my eye, I see this guy really close behind me. So I look back, and he just keeps inching closer as I'm waiting for the train doors to open. And by the time I was gonna step onto the train, I noticed his arm coming up behind me, and I could feel it on my side, so I just swatted it away and gave him the stink face.

[Laughter]

James: And he left me alone after that.

Alex: Okay. Good.

Alex: Joan Blinn, from Chicago, is a retired proofreader and editor who volunteers as an adult-literacy tutor, which means you do what exactly?

Joan: Um, I help people, usually one person at a time, who have very low literacy skills. I try to teach them... to read, basically--or to read better. And it's really amazing what a difference even a tiny little advance will make to their lives, I think.

Alex: Yeah. One-on-one really helps, doesn't it?

Joan: Yeah. Absolutely.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Kristin Morgan is our champion. Wants to weld what?

Kristin: Yeah, I have a minor obsession with lawn art, and I've always wanted to make a giant praying mantis and put it in my front yard.

Alex: Good for you. That's great.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
STATES' MOST POPULOUS CITIES $200: Kansas:
population about 384,000
(Joan: What is Kansas City?)
(Kristin: What is Topeka?)

STATES' MOST POPULOUS CITIES $1000: Maine:
about 66,000
(Joan: What is Bangor?)
(James: What's Portsmouth?)

THE TRANSPORTER $800: In 1987, this patriotic yacht won back the America's Cup four years after the United States had lost it for the first time

THE TRANSPORTER $1000: In 1968 this company introduced the Sting-Ray Krate, a forerunner to the BMX
(James: What is Huffy?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Joan: $5,400
Kristin: $3,600
James: $1,800

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE 8TH CENTURY (5/5)
MUSIC ACT BY SIBLINGS (0/3)
SC"I"ENCE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SNAP (5/5)
CRACKLE (5/5)
POP (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joan: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Kristin: 7 R, 3 W
James: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
James snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Kristin had $4,800, Joan had $5,400, and James was at $3,400. James wagered $2,000.

SC"I"ENCE $1600: Basalt is an extrusive type of this rock; granite is an intrusive type
(James: What is...)
[Beep]

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Joan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Kristin had $6,000, Joan had $13,800, and James was at $3,400. Joan wagered $2,200.

POP $1200: This Shakespeare royal tells his youngest child, "pray you now, forget and forgive; I am old and foolish"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
POP $2000: In this Jeffrey Eugenides novel, the Lisbon girls' dad is forced to quit as a teacher because he can't control his kids
(James: What is Middlesex?)

MUSIC ACT BY SIBLINGS $1200: "Sex On Fire"'s Caleb, Nathan & Jared Followill

MUSIC ACT BY SIBLINGS $1600: "We Are Family": Debra, Joni, Kim & Kathy
(James: Who are the Pointer Sisters?)

MUSIC ACT BY SIBLINGS $2000: From Ireland: Andrea, Jim, Sharon & Caroline
(Kristin: Who are the Cranberries?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Joan: $17,600 (lock game)
Kristin: $7,600
James: $2,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RECENT OSCAR WINNERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Joan: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Kristin: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,199 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
James: You've no hope of catching up... unless Kristin does something stupid. So risk $2,199.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
From 2008, it's the most recent film to win Best Picture & Best Song; the lyrics are in a foreign language

FINAL SCORES
James: $2,200 - $2,199 = $1 (What is The Last King of Scot) (3rd place: $1,000)
Kristin: $7,600 - $3,199 = $4,401 (What is The King's Speech) (2nd place: $2,000)
Joan: $17,600 - $600 = $17,000 (What is ?) (New champion: $17,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Joan: $16,400, 19 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Kristin: $7,600, 18 R, 5 W
James: $4,200, 12 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $28,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Joan: 19/60 = .317
Kristin: 18/58 = .310
James: 12/59 = .203
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HAPPIER REWRITTEN NOVEL ENDINGS $400: "He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother. Wait, 2+2 wasn't 5! B.B. could kiss his tush!"
[Alex reads "B.B." as "Big Brother".]

STATES' MOST POPULOUS CITIES $400: Missouri:
population about 463,000
(Alex: Now is the time for that one.)

ON TV 10 YEARS AGO $1000: In real life, the star of this CBS sitcom indeed had a cop brother who was divorced & lived with his parents
(Kristin: Who is Ray Romano?)

SC"I"ENCE $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) Newton's first law of motion states that an object at rest will stay at rest unless a force acts on it is also known as the principle of this seven-letter term

THE 8TH CENTURY $800: The Irish probably discovered this island in the 8th century; the Vikings settled it in 874
(Kristin: What is Greenland?)

THE 8TH CENTURY $1200: In 794 Emperor Kammu chose the site for this new Japanese capital; it remained capital for more than 1,000 years
(Kristin: What is Edo?)
(Joan: What is Osaka?)

CRACKLE $1200: The name of this crunchy candy means it breaks easily but cleanly

CRACKLE $2000: It's the 4-letter Japanese name for paper-thin dried seaweed, used for wrapping sushi
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
"seize the day"
Wichita
Portland
the Stars & Stripes
Schwinn
igneous
King Lear
The Virgin Suicides
Kings of Leon
Sister Sledge
the Corrs
Slumdog Millionaire
Nineteen Eighty-Four
Kansas City
Everybody Loves Raymond
inertia
Iceland
Kyoto
peanut brittle
nori

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:53 am

Recent Oscar Winners
From 2008, it's the most recent film to win Best Picture & Best Song; the lyrics are in a foreign language.
SpoilerShow
What is Slumdog Millionaire? James said The Last King of Scot [-land]; Kristin said The KIng's Speech; Joan had no guess.
Joan Blinn: $17,600-$600=$17,000...now a 1-day champion with $17,000
Kristin Morgan: $7,600-$3,199=$4,401
James Hawthorne Jr.: $2,200-$2,199=$1
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

falsifieddocuments
Valued Contributor

Post by falsifieddocuments » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:01 pm

Thought process on FJ: "OK, recent Oscar winners. The Artist. The King's Speech. The Hurt Locker. Crap, what came before The Hurt Locker? OK, what else has won? Crash, The Departed, No Country for Old Men. Hey, remember when Hugh Jackman hosted the Oscars? That was funny. 'The Reader. I haven't seen The Reader.' OH! Slumdog Millionaire."

Probably wouldn't have gotten it in time to write the response down, but I'll count it as a get for home.

As a a Chicago-born wannabe-proofreader, I'm pretty happy about the new champ, although I don't know how long she'll last. Seems like the mostly history- and lit-based clues today played to her strengths, and she was too conservative on DD wagers.

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:39 pm

Missed most of the show due to Obama's press conference (he seems to like talking at 11am CST) but it came back on at the end of DJ! Looking forward to commentary to see if the new champ was as good as her score indicated.

Got to FJ! about halfway in. Love that movie. If I could figure out how to imbed videos, I would put the referenced song in. "Jai Ho" is a great song.

Golf

Post by Golf » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:24 pm

Yeah, second time this week we've been screwed out of Jeopardy due to Obama's blathering. I understand, just sucks.

FJ was day one study material for any contestant, given the 2008, no excuse for any player to miss this one.

Interested in going through the transcript to get some idea how the game played out.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:28 pm

Binary choices fail me YET AGAIN on Wichita/Topeka and Kansas City/St. Louis. I thought that Wichita and Topeka were a lot closer in size, and that STL was far bigger than KCMO. Clammed on Fargo, couldn't pull out Wilmington, and WAGged correctly on Portland since I know that's where the biggest mall in Maine is. (For the record, the biggest mall in Missouri is in STL, and it's completely dead.)

Could've gone 4/5 on Mottos (everything but the DD), but I clammed all four times. Also 4/5 in Birds since I've NHO coot.

Oddly, inertia was my only miss in Sc"i"ence.

0/5 in Pop.

Was hoping we'd finish Siblings. Wonder which ones were hiding: Bee Gees? Osmonds? The Band Perry?

Slumdog came to mind first, but I ruled it out since I didn't think it had music.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:29 pm

Yet another easy FJ (I'm not sure what the writers are doing)... but it was a TS?! Wow...

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:30 pm

I'd swear he said "Harley-Davison", but I guess the judges didn't hear it that way.

I couldn't recall what won the Oscar in 2008 -- actually, I couldn't care -- so I had no answer.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:48 pm

For me, the Jeopardy round was my worst Jeopardy round so far this week.

For me, the Double Jeopardy round was my best Double Jeopardy round so far this week.

I had way more trouble than I'd like to admit with states' most populous cities. I didn't think any of them were giveaways (well, Delaware is a giveaway for me, because I live there!)

Both Kansas and Missouri are a little tricky. It turns out, for both those states, that the questions "What's the largest city?" and "What's the largest metro area?" have two different answers.

I thought that maybe they would put a really obvious giveaway in the top square in the category. I don't think Kansas counts as a giveaway.

Siblings: I couldn't come up with Kings of Leon, although I have heard the song. But I got The Corrs. I got the other one, too, but what I actually said at home was "What is the Poi -- I mean, what is Sister Sledge." So I was amused to see someone on the show make the same mistake.

I'm really embarrassed that I missed FJ. That category is a problem for me. I definitely know more about 1980s movies than I do about 2000s movies. Really, any serious trivia person ought to memorize the list of Best Picture winners, but I just haven't gotten around to doing it myself.

Since the list of Best Picture winners, much like the list of Presidents, is such an obvious thing to try to memorize, I'm really surprised that Final Jeopardy was a triple stumper.

(By the way, I've even *seen* the movie.)

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:18 pm

I saw the weekly preview during the rerun episode, so I knew ho won because it included a clip of joan's interview that was not used during today's game. At least I didn't see it until today, since the three wide shot was from today.

Recent Oscar winners is something I'll study when I get the call, until then, I don't care. Went with Brokeback Mountain just to have something.

mpandl
Contributor

Post by mpandl » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:21 pm

Didn't get FJ! until the end, when Alex started with "Slum...", then I said the answer out loud. Too late though.

marpocky

Post by marpocky » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Insta-insta-instaget FJ for me. Jai Ho was the last song I listened to before this episode began, just a few minutes beforehand.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:31 pm

I agree Kansas was undervalued in the top row, was expecting something like Colorado to start things off.

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:32 pm

lisa0012 wrote:Missed most of the show due to Obama's press conference (he seems to like talking at 11am CST) but it came back on at the end of DJ! Looking forward to commentary to see if the new champ was as good as her score indicated.

Got to FJ! about halfway in. Love that movie. If I could figure out how to imbed videos, I would put the referenced song in. "Jai Ho" is a great song.
Arrrgh, I couldn't come up with Slumdog Millionaire, and it was the only one of the nominees I'd seen.

Jai Ho is fun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxLSZoFK8EM links to a video of the song, but I don't know how to embed either.

StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:33 pm

heelsrule1988 wrote:Yet another easy FJ (I'm not sure what the writers are doing)... but it was a TS?! Wow...
I beg to differ it was so easy. The foreign-language mention told me to look where English is not the primary language spoken, but despite English's internationality these days, that's a huge swath of Earth in practice. I had Kung Fu Panda until my family told me it had no songs to speak of and was unable to come up with an alternate answer.

kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:41 pm

skullturf wrote:For me, the Jeopardy round was my worst Jeopardy round so far this week.

For me, the Double Jeopardy round was my best Double Jeopardy round so far this week.
^ This, for me too.

-a.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:25 pm

To embed a Youtube video, the syntax is:

Left Bracket Youtube Right Bracket The Youtube URL (make sure it's http and not https) and then Left Bracket / Youtube Right Bracket.

The following is an example. To see what it looks like, just quote this post:

CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:40 pm

can't believe they have a category for my strength(state's most populous city)! w00t!

totally blanked on FJ! snapping my 4 in a row :(

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:33 pm

There we go. It was very temperamental. That's why I'm a psychologist and not a programmer :D