Thursday, January 17, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, January 17, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6524, 2013-01-17

CONTESTANTS
Diva Bole, a law student from Elkton, Maryland
Helen Juvonen, an actor from Toronto, Canada
Joan Blinn, a retired proofreader and editor from Chicago, Illinois (whose 1-day cash winnings total $17,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks Johnny. Welcome ladies and gentlemen. On yesterday's program, Joan was very relaxed and solid, until Final Jeopardy! but she didn't lose too much in that one. Helen and Diva: welcome aboard. Pick up those signaling devices because here comes the Jeopardy! round. And today we deal with these categories.We start off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FOOD WORDS & PHRASES (5/5)
THE STORY OF ENGLISH (5/5)
DVD SPECIAL FEATURES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE CITY IN QUESTION (4/5)
WHERE'D YOU GO TO COLLEGE? (5/5)
TITLE CHANGES (5/5) (Alex: You have to correct the word that we have changed in the titles of these books.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joan: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Helen: 12 R, 1 W
Diva: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Helen: $3,600
Joan: $3,400
Diva: -$600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Diva Bole is from Maryland. She's a law student, and uh, this brings back memories of when you were a little girl.

Diva: Yes.

Alex: You, uh, were getting ready for Halloween.

Diva: Um, right. I was getting ready for Halloween, and for some reason I decided that it'd be a good idea to cut my own hair, which I thought would be fun, and I had this weird haircut with like little chunks missing, and I'd originally planned to go as Princess Jasmine because it was around the time Aladdin came out and she had that long pretty hair. My mom said I couldn't go as her anymore. So instead I went as a clown. So instead of being pretty Princess Jasmine I went as a clown with like a big rainbow afro wig, and...

Alex: Yeah, been there, done that, with my sister.

Helen Juvonen is from Toronto, and it says here that you recently worked at a theater in my hometown of Sudbury in northern Ontario.

Helen: That's right, yeah. The Sudbury Theatre Centre.

Alex: Tell me about that.

Helen: Um, it's a great regional theater in northern Ontario. Um, we did, um, a show Beauty and the Beast, but not the version not the Disney version, and I had a lot of fun, It's a great, great theater, great company.. Very cold and windy, but I enjoyed myself.

Alex: But it was July. It's supposed to be cold.

Helen: It was December.
[Laughs]

Alex: I know, I know.

Alex: Joan Blinn is our champion, a retired proofreader and editor who is also a family history buff, and is it true you're related to two former presidents...distantly?

Joan: I'm related by marriage to two presidents, uh, some of my relatives have tried to claim Abraham Lincoln as a blood relative, but for some reason nobody wants Andrew Johnson.

Alex: Oh.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Diva found the Daily Double on the 28th clue. Joan had $6,000, Helen had $5,800, and Diva was at $1,200. Diva made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,200.

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES $600: "The Rising", "Comrades" & "Revolution parts 1 & 2" are special features of this Warren Beatty film
(Diva: Um...I have no idea.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE CITY IN QUESTION $800: Lemon-lime soda, triple sec, sour mix & Jack Daniel's make up this city's "lemonade"
(Alex: That's a tough one. [*])

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Joan: $7,000
Helen: $6,600
Diva: $0
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, January 17, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SOCIAL MEDIA (5/5)
"RR" CROSSING (5/5)
MAURITANIA & MOROCCO (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE DAILY SHOW ALUMNI (4/5)
THE RENAISSANCE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THIS MEANS WAR! (5/5) (Alex: But which war? You tell us.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Helen: 13 R, 0 W
Joan: 11 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Diva: 4 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Diva snagged the next Daily Double on the 11th clue. Joan had $11,800, Helen had $10,600, and Diva was at $1,600. Diva wagered $2,000.

THE RENAISSANCE $2000: Artisans who produced this stringed, pear-shaped instrument included Frei & Unverdorben
(Diva: Well, it worked out so well last time. Um, I'll go for 2000.)
(Diva: Uh, what is the lyre?)
(Alex: Oh, no. What is [*], [*], not the lyre. So you're at minus 400.)
(Diva: Sweet.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Joan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Joan had $17,400, Helen had $19,000, and Diva was at $3,600. Joan wagered $3,000.

MAURITANIA & MOROCCO $1600: After Morocco allegedly aided a failed coup, Mauritania gravitated toward this third country that borders both

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE DAILY SHOW ALUMNI $2000: We don't know if this pre-Jon Stewart host of "The Daily Show" is still "on assignment in Kuala Lumpur"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Helen: $21,000
Joan: $20,400
Diva: $3,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY LITERARY INTRODUCTIONS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Helen: Wager $19,801 to cover Joan. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $12,601.
Joan: Your score is within 4/5ths of Helen's, so wager between $1,201 (venusian) and $13,199 (martian), beating Helen's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Diva's part.
Diva: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Joan, but if Joan decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $2,400.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Title character who's "clad in black from head to foot, without a single speck of colour about him anywhere"

FINAL SCORES
Diva: $3,600 - $0 = $3,600 (Who is...the vicar of som ?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Joan: $20,400 + $20,000 = $40,400 (Who is Dracula?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Helen: $21,000 + $19,801 = $40,801 (Who is Dracula?) (New champion: $40,801)
(Alex: [in a Bela Lugosi accent] Ah, yes...Diva...we will come to you first.)
(Diva: Oh.)
(Alex: Oh, yes!)
[Laughter]
[after Helen's final score is displayed]
(Alex: A big, big payday for the young Canadian actress. What a game! Wow! Congratulations!)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Helen: $21,000, 25 R, 1 W
Joan: $19,000, 23 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Diva: $6,800, 8 R, 3 W (including 2 DDs)
Combined Coryat: $46,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Helen: 26/58 = .448
Joan: 24/59 = .407
Diva: 8/60 = .133
Team: 58/63 = .921

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE STORY OF ENGLISH $400: Kentish, Mercian, Northumbrian & West Saxon were the major dialects of this, spoken until about 1100
(Joan: What is English?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Joan: Uh, what's ang--uh..)
(Helen: What is British?)

THE STORY OF ENGLISH $1000: With the growth of the British Empire in this century, the number of native English speakers rose from about 26 mil. to 126 million
(Diva: What is the ss--eighteenth century?)
(Alex: [*], yes, the 1800s.)

THE CITY IN QUESTION $1000: It's August 1968, so you know this city's spring is over as Soviet tanks roll in

"RR" CROSSING $1600: In England, it's a lawyer who gets to plead in the higher courts, and also to accessorize beautifully

SOCIAL MEDIA $2000: This site "helps you make the most of where you are" & boasts 2 billion check-ins
[Applause for Helen's run of the category]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Reds
Lynchburg (lemonade)
the lute
Algeria
Craig Kilborn
Dracula
Anglo-Saxon (or Old English)
the 19th century
Prague
barrister
Foursquare
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

19th Century Literary Introductions
Title character who's "Clad in black from head to foot, without a single speck of colour about him anywhere".

Spoiler
Who is Dracula? Diva said the Vicar of [something], (it was incomplete).
Helen Juvonen: $21,000+$19,801=$40,801...now a 1-day champion with $40,801
Joan Blinn: $20,400+$20,000=$40,400
Diva Bole: $3,600-$0=$3,600
Last edited by jeff6286 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

The two exchanging the lead throughout demonstrated excellent knowledge. Sadly, the champ threw away 40k on her unthinking DD wager late in the game.

Just happy POTUS was resting his voice today.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Remember folks: if you get a DD with one clue left, wager enough to still have the lead if your nearest opponent gets the last clue right!!! You never know when they'll give away 2k in free money, such as Western Sahara when spotted 'disputed African region', the countries fighting over it, and 'Western ___' :roll:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Golf wrote:The two exchanging the lead throughout demonstrated excellent knowledge. Sadly, the champ threw away 40k on her unthinking DD wager late in the game.
And then she threw away the lock on 3rd with a huge bet, so unsurprising she borked up the first part.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Today I had

--my best game so far this week (ignoring FJ)
--my best Double Jeopardy round so far this week
--my second best Jeopardy round so far this week.

After my embarrassingly slow start yesterday, I started this game well. Of the 15 clues before the first commercial break, I got 14 of them. The one I couldn't answer was the one involving "apple pie order" or whatever exactly the expression was. I don't remember ever encountering that expression and don't consider it common.

Made a couple of pure guesses in "Where'd I go to college?" that turned out to be correct. A North Carolina university in the $200 space? Probably Duke. A private California university (so no "UC" in the name) that graduated two future Supreme Court Justices? Probably Stanford.

I outsmarted myself on "DVD special features" for $200. Casablanca entered my mind, but I stupidly dismissed it since the clue mentioned Lauren Bacall and she wasn't in it. It only occurred to me later that no, Bacall wasn't in Casablanca, but she was married to Bogie and was also alive to provide the commentary in the DVD era.

Embarrassingly, I missed FJ. I even thought to myself, "Who would wear all black? Either someone spooky, or someone serious." For "spooky", I thought of the Headless Horseman, but he's not a title character. For "serious", I thought perhaps a famously dull or grouchy or curmudgeonly character -- but who? Scrooge? Not a title character. Another Dickens character? Time's running out! So I wrote down "Ichabod Crane" just to write something, even though he's not a title character either.

I think maybe part of the reason I missed it is that when I saw "title character", my brain just got stuck on "firstname lastname", like David Copperfield, Nicholas Nickleby, etc.

Then when the music ended and Alex was about to reveal the contestants' responses, I was like, "Why is Alex talking in that funny accent -- OH CRAP."
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

Began with Mr. Hyde, stumbled upon Dracula with about ten seconds to spare.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

skullturf wrote:
Then when the music ended and Alex was about to reveal the contestants' responses, I was like, "Why is Alex talking in that funny accent -- OH CRAP."
Exactly what happened to me.
mpandl
Contributor

Post by mpandl »

What Alex said at the end pretty much summed up the game. That was a very exciting FJ!
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

Is it just me, or was the Jeopardy! round especially easy tonight? I responded correctly to 27 out of 30 clues, the best I've done since I started keeping track of my Coryats last year.

Ditto to skullturf's reaction to FJ.
mpandl
Contributor

Post by mpandl »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
skullturf wrote:
Exactly what happened to me.
Yeah, when he started the accent, I was like, "Damn it."
Last edited by mpandl on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Don't ya just hate it when you get a nice big Coryat score and are working your way through the FJ and your significant other blurts out the answer before you get there?

Grrrr.

Great game though - two contestants over 20k and only one of them got a daily double to get there. Gotta root for the Canadians, and encourage TPTB to invite more.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

My first thought was the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, then realized they wanted a title character. Headless Horseman didn't qualify either, but that was what I went with anyway.

I was also thrown by the category; by "literary introductions" I thought they would mean introductory sections to texts, rather than descriptions that introduce characters.

I did well on the boards too, so it may be that they were easy.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

boson wrote: Gotta root for the Canadians, and encourage TPTB to invite more.
Seconded!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

nserven wrote: I was also thrown by the category; by "literary introductions" I thought they would mean introductory sections to texts, rather than descriptions that introduce characters.
That's what I expected, too, so before the commercial break, I pre-called "A Tale of Two Cities", with "Anna Karenina" as my second choice. I thought it was going to be about novels' opening sentences.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

I too considered the Headless Horseman for lack of a better idea, until getting to the right answer in about the 23rd second.

Terrible, terrible DD wager by the champ there at the end.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

skullturf wrote:
Same here. I thought of Scrooge immediately, realized he wasn't the title character, and then couldn't come up with a better answer. Dracula was one of my favorite books when I was a kid, too...
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
boson wrote: Gotta root for the Canadians, and encourage TPTB to invite more.
Seconded!

Brian
Thirded, although if they did want more Canadians, make easier test questoins! (I swear, I did surprisingly well on all the tests I *didn't* take for realsies!)
skullturf wrote:Then when the music ended and Alex was about to reveal the contestants' responses, I was like, "Why is Alex talking in that funny accent -- OH CRAP."
That seemed like the third place contestant's reaction too ...

Judges: This Means War $800: Has "the Spanish American War" ever been called the "Cuban American War"? Please?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

How weird is that that Western Sahara showed up?

http://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1& ... ara#p56635