The Experts - New YouTube Game Show

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: The Experts - New YouTube Game Show

Post by Paucle »

MarkBarrett wrote:The new segments to see the Hardest Qs for the others players from the 3/18 show are available now.
LOL! Not only did I only get one of them ( "I read about them in Time magazine," Hans claimed) but had you hidden the other two amongst a short MC list, I'd've been totally guessing. No recognition at all!
Alan_B
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Alan_B »

Yes to everything, tag!!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

tagNV wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:4. The Variety - ... I would get bored pretty quickly if I had to watch three USC football experts duke it out. (Remember The $64,000/$128,000 Question when you didn't know the subject? No variety, compensated for by an excruciating pace.)
I can't help pointing out (for reasons I'll explain in a bit) that it isn't true that The $64,000/$128,000 Question had no variety: once a contestant gets to the point where they're in the isolation booth ($8,000 on both shows), contestants only answer one question per episode, so in a given show you'll see multiple contestants answering questions on multiple subjects.

I couldn't resist mentioning it because I've thought that if I were to try out for The Experts, I'd want my subject to be The $64,000 Question.
It would be even more meta if you went with The $128,000 Question considering who hosted it from '77 to '78. Either way, it's a great idea and I look forward to your appearance. Thanks for reminding me how the game was televised.

Speaking of meta, I would also like to see Stefan Goodreau (seaborgium) on as a Jeopardy expert.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote:
omgwheelhouse wrote:Random thought: if it hasn't happened yet, seaborgium should play this with a Jeopardy! specialty.
Be less specific.
Alan_B
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Alan_B »

This week's Hardest Questions from the two non-winners. Good luck with them!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT8gRSygBKE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmaGETpnW6o
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Paucle wrote:I'm much more pleased with this week's categories! Last week I got one answer right overall; this week, I got 8 pts in Alice (my worst!) 17 pts in UNC, and 28 in Die Hard! Overall, I got 20 questions correct. (These point totals do not count guessing correctly on know-it-or-don't questions.)
Normally we're pretty close, but not this time. I got 5 right in Alice, 2 in UNC and only 4 in Die Hard.
tagNV
Member of Our Studio Audience

Post by tagNV »

opusthepenguin wrote:It would be even more meta if you went with The $128,000 Question considering who hosted it from '77 to '78.
Well, only because we're discussing it here. JEOPARDY! did come out of the quiz show scandal of the 1950's (see this interview for details), but despite Julann calling it "the $64,000 scandal," it didn't really involve The $64,000 Question.

Surprisingly, it seems to be a lot easier to find video of The $64,000 Question than The $128,000 Question (so easier to write questions for the former...not to mention all the publicity the original show got being such a big hit in its day). Not that I've tried any of the major archives...but if I do decide to try out for The Experts I might just do that.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I liked being able to see the new show on Sunday afternoon instead of waiting until Monday morning. About a question in the game not the hardest one:
Spoiler
Asking for four of six Spielberg 1-word movies had me hit pause to put on the thinking cap. It was a fun brainbuster.
They are:
Spoiler
Always
Amistad
Hook
Jaws
Lincoln
Munich
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote:I liked being able to see the new show on Sunday afternoon instead of waiting until Monday morning. About a question in the game not the hardest one:
Spoiler
Asking for four of six Spielberg 1-word movies had me hit pause to put on the thinking cap. It was a fun brainbuster.
They are:
Spoiler
Always
Amistad
Hook
Jaws
Lincoln
Munich
Seeing the question here from you,
Spoiler
I was coming up a bit short on 4 out of 6, so I wondered if E.T. or A.I. would qualify, but now I see that they both have the two words spelled out after the initials, so that's an easy no. I was then wondering about Duel, which was a 1971 TV movie, and the TV part probably disqualifies it. IMDB also gives Firelight, made for $400 in 1964, later remade as Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Also, in 1979 he made 1941. Is that a one-word title, or is a number/year not a word?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Great first round again-- 2 in The Wire, 1 in Dancing, and a solid 9 in Spielberg, missing only the composer one. (I gave myself the "recall" question because I gave their original answer, and thus there would've been no "appeal" (not to mention the appeal seems to stretch the definition of feature film a bit!))

Total miss in round two- none right.

Round three, all I got was the second one in The Wire. I even only got one Right/Wrong guess correct.

Round 4, none right again. On the question Mark mentioned above, I played when he posted it. I got the latest one and earliest one right away, remembered one in the middle... and got stuck.

So- 12 right in round one, and one after that for 13. I'll take it! It's nice to have at least one every week I have some strength in.

Jeff- all your questions are addressed in the presentation. :)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Paucle wrote:Great first round again-- 2 in The Wire, 1 in Dancing, and a solid 9 in Spielberg, missing only the composer one. (I gave myself the "recall" question because I gave their original answer, and thus there would've been no "appeal" (not to mention the appeal seems to stretch the definition of feature film a bit!))
3 in Wire, 2 in Dancing (the British version and the spelling), but only 4 in Spielberg.
Total miss in round two- none right.
Ditto
Round three, all I got was the second one in The Wire.
Again, ditto (only when given the nickname).
Round 4, none right again.
Ayep.
Alan_B
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Alan_B »

Alan_B
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Alan_B »

Our next episode features two J! veterans -- Eric Barela, a Season 23 3-time champion, and the redoubtable Michael Rooney, a 5-time champ in 1999 and a ToC and UToC competitor.

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Promise not to play any Billy Joel?
Alan_B
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Alan_B »

And here's this week's game!

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

And to whom do we complain when the question is wrong?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

This week I was "near-expert," "imbecile," and "in my field" in that order. 17 questions right with best pointage being in Billy Joel with 27.

I got a big fat zero in LotR; no surprise, though I at least knew...
Spoiler
the first line of the inscription because so many people use it as their sig online.
I did get the three creatures correct in the 5 pter round (thanks, crosswords) but in the wrong order.
Round one in BJ I got 9 right, missing only the country cover song. 3 right in Spice Girls, one a lucky guess.

Got both the 7 and 1 pointer for BJ, although oddly the 7 was an instaget and I had to mull the 1pter for a second.
Lucky guess on the 2 pter in Spice Girls, thanks to the minimal selection.

I could only think of one answer for the first BJ 5 pter; oddly, not one of the three they listed ("Goodnight Saigon"). Their three I'd heard of, obviously they just weren't coming to me.Oh wait, no, I was unfamiliar with the last one (I somewhat lost track of BJ late in his career). Also did not know the other 5 pter. :(

I did the same thing Will did and got the "winning" question for my only get in that round.

Only got 2 of 5 in the final round (one he got, one he didn't).

Another enjoyable episode. Hey Alan, did anyone ever calculate maximum winnings? :) Unless I screwed up my math, it's...
Spoiler
$206.70, yes?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I had to use pause to think about the (No, not the Hardest Question) Best Picture winners in "We Didn't Start the Fire" and got two out of three.
Spoiler
Bridge on the River Kwai
Ben-Hur

Lawrence of Arabia
For the winner of the game I predicted last week that
Spoiler
Will would win since Michael and Eric are J! champs and I've met them both.
For the Hardest Question in the World
Spoiler
even I knew Glass Houses.
It was a good season finale and I am looking forward to seeing more games in the summer.

I agree with Paucle's math for maximum amount
Spoiler
6+7
5+5+5+5+5+5
for 53 after round 3
Wagers of 26 and 27 for another 53
95% of 106 for $100.70
Added to 106 for $206.70 max
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

That hardest question in the world was not fair either. Very misleading.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Alan_B
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Alan_B »

First, Paucle, yes we did calculate max winnings, but I don't remember the number, so I'm going to assume you're correct. I basically remember it wouldn't bankrupt us. :D

Second, about that city we got wrong. (I assume this is the question you're referring to, Brian. If not, reply and let me know.) I didn't realize it was wrong until this morning when Drew S. tweeted @TheExpertsShow. Yikes! But we have an excuse to offer, and I think it's a pretty good one ---

We lost a contestant that morning. He was a referral, and I'd been emailing him for about a month before his tapedate and everything seemed fine. He was an Eddie Murphy Movies of the '80s expert. And he got cold feet! He didn't let us know until six hours before the taping, and he WOULD NOT be talked out of his withdrawal. It was infurating, but that's part of the risk you assume, I guess, when you write questions for specific players. We then spent about 4 hours trying to find a player so we wouldn't have to cancel the whole date. (We tape 2 episodes, and the studio guys charge us the same rate for two shows as they do for one, so we didn't want to only tape one because the studio personnel are by far our biggest expense.) So with about two hours to go, we landed the Billy Joel expert --- he was on the list for a future episode, but we hadn't really turned our attention to him at all. Certainly not to write questions. So my partners and I set about putting together a slate of Billy Joel questions (usually a week-long process with lots of vetting and editing) along with all the other last-minute details that go into a tapeday, and frankly, I'm surprised we didn't get more wrong.

So here's a stupid thing we did. Just the week before, we taped an episode with our director playing as a Firefly expert. What the hell were we thinking? Not only didn't we have him in reserve on the Eddie Murphy/Billy Joel day, but we don't have him in reserve for the next time this happens. And I'm sure it will. We're screwed.