Thursday, February 7, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, February 7, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6539, 2013-02-07

2013 Teen Tournament semifinal game 2. (1st tournament semifinal that didn't have a winner.)

CONTESTANTS
Tori Amos, a sophomore from Englewood, Ohio
Joe Vertnik, a senior from Mound, Minnesota
Kelton Ellis, a junior from Macon, Georgia

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. and welcome, ladies and gentleman. A senior from Lexington, Kentucky, was most impressive in our first semifinal match yesterday. Who gets to shine today? Will it be Kelton, Joe, or Tori? Good luck. We're gonna start finding out right now. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round. And these are the categories. We start off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PIZZA-PALOOZA (5/5)
RELIGIONS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MAJOR LEAGUE SPORTS CITIES (5/5)
ACADEMIC ANAGRAMS (4/5)
YOUR FRIENDS, THE POLICE (5/5)
"A" "P" HISTORY (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will begin with either an "A" or a "P.")

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joe: 13 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Kelton: 9 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Tori: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kelton found the Daily Double on the 5th clue. Kelton had $400, Joe was in the red with -$800, and Tori had nothing in the bank. Kelton wagered $1,000.

RELIGIONS $1000: Members of this Indian religion are expected to join the Khalsa order & are not allowed to cut their hair

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kelton: $3,800
Tori: $1,200
Joe: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Tori Amos is a sophomore from Englewood, Ohio. And I gather that the exchange-student program is something your family has very positive views about.

Tori: Um, yes, actually. Uh, both of my sisters, within the exchange program, have visited Germany, and our sister city is Billerbeck. And I will get to go in 2014, so...

Alex: Have you started learning to speak German?

Tori: Uh, I have. I'm in German 2 right now, so...

Alex: Okay. Good for you. That'll be a lot of fun.

Tori: Yes.

Alex: That's great.

Alex: Joe Vertnik is a senior from Mound, Minnesota. Now, Mound, Minnesota, is, what, about 70 miles or so from Minneapolis?

Joe: It's about 35 or so.

Alex: 35.

Joe: Yep.

Alex: Now, you're a big Minneapolis baseball fan, right?

Joe: Somewhat, yeah.

Alex: And you rode your bicycle all the way to the stadium.

Joe: From my house all the way to the stadium--35 miles one way, 35 miles back the other.

Alex: So, that's 70 miles to go see a game, and...?

Joe: And we got there in the middle of the 7th inning, and they wouldn't let us in.

[Laughter]

Alex: Aha. And that happened more than once, didn't it?

Joe: Well, the second time, we got there, um, in--in the 1st inning, so we actually got in the second time, so...

Alex: Okay, good. [Chuckles]

Alex: Kelton Ellis, from Macon, Georgia--a junior who is fluent in a number of languages. Tori is studying German. You're fluent in German and what else?

Kelton: Well, I wouldn't say I'm fluent, but I certainly am learning the language and I'm pretty good at it so far. But I speak French, Spanish, and German in addition to English, which is my native language, of course.

Alex: With a view to doing what later on--working in the diplomatic corps, or...?

Kelton: I just really like languages. When I started taking French--uh, my French teacher speaks German. She got me interested. And I figured why not learn Spanish, too?

Alex: Okay. Now, what's the next language after those three?

Kelton: Either Portuguese or Mandarin.

Alex: Oka--Mandarin. That's a toughie.

Kelton: It really is.

Alex: That's a toughie.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
RELIGIONS $800: The Assemblies of God is the USA's top denomination in this movement associated with speaking in tongues
(Kelton: What is evangelicalism?)
(Alex: Be a little more specific.)
(Kelton: What is charismatic evangelicalism?)
(Joe: Who are Jehovah's Witnesses?)

ACADEMIC ANAGRAMS $1000: Upcoming happy event: gait around
(Alex: And I hope all three of you are looking forward to your [*].)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Joe: $7,200
Kelton: $3,400
Tori: $2,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, February 7, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ENGLISH LITERATURE (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE VOICE... (3/5)
SKIP IT (5/5)
BIOLOGY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
COUNTRY FACTS (4/5)
CROSSWORD CLUES "E" (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kelton: 11 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Joe: 5 R, 0 W
Tori: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 5 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tori snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Kelton had $5,800, Joe had $7,200, and Tori was at $2,400. Tori made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,400.

ENGLISH LITERATURE $800: In this futuristic but not Orwellian novel, Mustapha Mond was called "the Resident Controller for Western Europe"
(Tori: What is A Clockwork Orange?)
(Alex: No. What is [*] by Aldous Huxley.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kelton who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. Kelton had $12,200, Joe had $8,400, and Tori was at $2,800. Kelton wagered $5,000.

BIOLOGY $800: Normally, when the glucose level in the blood is high, the pancreas secretes this hormone to lower it

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ENGLISH LITERATURE $2000: In "Kidnapped", this young boy discovers that his uncle Ebenezer has cheated him out of his inheritance
(Tori: Who is Jim?)

THE VOICE... $1600: Doing her own singing as young Juliette on TV's "Nashville"
(Tori: Who is Carrie Underwood?)
(Alex: Who is [*]?
You knew that, Tori. You just misspoke. I understand.)

THE VOICE... $2000: That duetted with fellow country star Kenny Chesney on "Feel Like a Rock Star"
(Alex: And that voice belongs to [*].)

COUNTRY FACTS $1200: Muslims make up the largest religious group of this nation once part of Yugoslavia
(Kelton: What is Albania?)

CROSSWORD CLUES "E" $400: Enthusiastic, fervent (5)
(Tori: What is excited?)
(Alex: Too many letters in that, Tori. [*] is the word we're going for. Kelton, back to you.)

CROSSWORD CLUES "E" $1200: Having keen vision (5-4)

CROSSWORD CLUES "E" $1600: To make abnormally thin (8)
(Tori: What is elongate?)
(Kelton: What is emacerate?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kelton: $16,400
Joe: $12,000
Tori: $1,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CAPITAL CITIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Kelton: Wager $7,601 to cover Joe, but no more than $13,199 so as not to fall behind Tori's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $4,401.
Joe: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,200 (martian), and you'll win the game if Kelton wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Tori: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It's criss-crossed by dozens of "peace walls" that separate its Catholic & Protestant neighborhoods

FINAL SCORES
Tori: $1,600 - $1,600 = $0 (What is Dublin) ($10,000)
Joe: $12,000 - $12,000 = $0 (What is Dublin?) ($10,000)
Kelton: $16,400 - $16,400 = $0 (What is Dublin?) ($10,000)
(Alex: No, the correct response is [*], Northern Ireland. And what did it cost Kelton? $16,400. That means he drops to $0, and that means three zeros there. And what that means is we have no winner today. And this is the first time it has ever occurred in one of our tournaments. According to the rules, though, the three spots in the finals will be occupied by winners and, if we don't have a winner, by the highest-scoring player among non-winners in any of the semifinal games. That means one player from yesterday is still eligible, and two from tomorrow's match will be eligible. We're gonna say goodbye. It's gonna be an exciting end of the week. We'll see you then. So long.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kelton: $12,200, 20 R (including 2 DDs), 5 W
Joe: $12,000, 18 R, 1 W
Tori: $4,000, 12 R, 6 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $28,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Kelton: 20/60 = .333
Joe: 18/58 = .310
Tori: 12/59 = .203
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
PIZZA-PALOOZA $600: Hold the cheese & pepperoni! This chain also offers chicken wings for delivery from its WingStreet menu
(Tori: What is Papa John's?)

YOUR FRIENDS, THE POLICE $400: You saw the sign, seen here; you disobeyed; you deserve to be cited for this

ACADEMIC ANAGRAMS $600: It may be just for the summer &, sadly, unpaid: rent his pin
(Kelton: What is internment?)
(Alex: [*], yes.
Not internment.
Although they might seem like the same thing sometimes.)

MAJOR LEAGUE SPORTS CITIES $600: The Kings (2 cities, please)
(Alex: Yes. Two different sports.)

MAJOR LEAGUE SPORTS CITIES $1000: The Fire
[Applause for Joe running the category.]
(Alex: Way to go. You picked up a lot of points in that category. Two clues left.)
(Joe: And I don't even like sports.)

THE VOICE... $1200: Of this singer is heard here

BIOLOGY $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew stands next to a microwave oven.) Your microwave can be a weapon in the fight against germs; zapping a wet sponge in the microwave for 2 minutes should remove 99% of these organisms, like E. coli

BIOLOGY $2000: Most of the water absorbed by a plant is given off by the leaves via this 13-letter process
(Kelton: What is respiration?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Sikhism
Pentecostal
graduation
Brave New World
insulin
David Balfour
Hayden Panettiere
Tim McGraw
Bosnia
eager
eagle-eyed
emaciate
Belfast
Pizza Hut
jaywalking
internship
Los Angeles and Sacramento
Chicago
Adam Levine
bacteria
transpiration
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Capital Cities
It's criss-crossed by dozens of "Peace Walls" that separate its Catholic and Protestant neighborhoods.

Spoiler
What is Belfast? All 3 players said Dublin.

Kelton Ellis: $16,400-$16,400=$0
Joe Vertnik: $12,000-$12,000=$0
Tori Amos: $1,600-$1,600=$0

Alex explains that with no money, all 3 players are eliminated, and the highest scoring nonwinner from among the players in the other 2 Semifinals will advance to the Finals.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

I'm not usually one to criticize people's wagering too much, especially kids, but oh. my. god. Unbelievable.
DH told me he saw a commercial on TPIR just before J! was shown - they said something happened that's never happened before. In the break before FJ we were wondering what that could possibly be. I said
Spoiler
what if they all wager everything and all get it wrong - nah, that would never happen - there's really no need for any of them to bet it all.
And then when the clue was shown I thought
Spoiler
No way they all get this wrong, it's too easy...
dippy
Valued Contributor

Post by dippy »

are you saying that everybody got the response incorrect in final jeopardy?
dippy
Valued Contributor

Post by dippy »

and wagered it all?
falsifieddocuments
Valued Contributor

Post by falsifieddocuments »

dippy wrote:and wagered it all?
Yeah, that's what happened.

I fell in the Dublin trap too, so I can't blame the kids for getting the wrong answer, but come on. There's a reason people wager everything but a few dollars sometimes.

I was especially surprised to see that Tori wagered everything considering how smart her bet was in the quarterfinals. When you have $1,200 to your opponents' $16,400 and $12,000 (I think), there's no reason to wager everything.

On the up side, this ramps up the pressure for tomorrow's contestants. And this is easily the best teen tourney I've ever seen.
JKay103
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by JKay103 »

What does this mean? Is there going to be a wildcard finalist now? Highest scorer among the non-winners?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So how much would you have bet yesterday that Barrett would have been the most discussed topic in the semi-finals? Hopefully not more than you could afford to lose.

Did the players in tomorrow's game see the first two games? If so, that gives them a huge advantage going into the game because they know that the score to beat is only $100 by Irene. If the leader has third locked out, they would bet zero (or at least small enough to keep third locked out), even if it put them at risk of being passed by second place.

I was also spoiled somewhat. They showed the weekly preview during the rerun game and they showed Alex saying it had never happened before in a tournament. I thought maybe it related to a certain lineup of players, though a triple zero game did cross my mind. Then when the first two bet it all, I began to think that was it, but thought there was no way he'd bet it all. Then when he had his enigmatic smile and questioned Dublin, I knew that was it. Curse you, preview commercial!!!!!!

As for FJ, I was sure it had to be Ireland. I considered both, but decided having Peace in the name had to be a city with lots of fighting.

As for the bets, there was no reason for any of them to bet it all.

And a guy who doesn't like sports rode a bike 35 miles one way to see a baseball game????

So how many triple zero games have there been now. The second ever game is probably the best known, but there was at one other that featured boardie Woppy T's eye doctor. Any others?
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

:shock:

That is all. Have to run to a taping of Wait! Wait! Don't Tell Me! Back later for the fallout.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Bamaman wrote:Did the players in tomorrow's game see the first two games? If so, that gives them a huge advantage going into the game because they know that the score to beat is only $100 by Irene. If the leader has third locked out, they would bet zero (or at least small enough to keep third locked out), even if it put them at risk of being passed by second place.
I'm sure any former contestants that have been in a tournament can confirm this here on these boards when they can, but contestants are only isolated in the green room before playing their first game during quarterfinal games (they are able to watch all the semi-final and final games, though).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

That's what I thought. Which really isn't fair. While it would not have changed yesterday's bets, suppose tomorrow's scores are...

$19,999
$19,999
$9.999

Since the first two players know they have enough to have a wild card, they will (or should) bet zero, which completely eliminated the third player, even if he doubles up in FJ.
Leander

Post by Leander »

That was a loosely defined category of capital cities. I got it right, but was not confident that was what they were looking for. I can see why all three got it wrong, assuming they were looking for capitals of independent countries.

Very silly wagering though.
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

Leander wrote:That was a loosely defined category of capital cities. I got it right, but was not confident that was what they were looking for. I can see why all three got it wrong, assuming they were looking for capitals of independent countries.

Very silly wagering though.
I have a major issue with the FJ! for similar reasons.

And yikes at that wagering!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

We had three German exchange students. None of them were pleasant; neither was the Colombian one we had. The Danish and Belgian ones, however, we still keep in touch with even 15+ years later.

====

0/5 in Religion. I keep forgetting that Muslim is the person, and Islam is the religion. Also, whatever the heck he said on $800 was not worthy of a BMS in the direction of the answer they were looking for. Those words aren't even close. I've said it before — BMS should only be if the answer is a specific subset (e.g. "What is a block?" "Be more specific." "What is a stumbling block?" "Correct."), not two totally unrelated words with only a tenuous connection.

Also 0/5 in "A" "P" History. I can never remember Maya/Inca/Aztec, nor have I tried to find a way to do so. But if I'd just remembered the category…

Predicted a run of Pizza and was not let down.

Couldn't get "scholarship" or "internship" in Anagrams since neither of those words was something I had to deal with. I don't drive either, so I whiffed with driver's license for registration.

====

0/5 in English Lit and Country Facts.

I missed Ke$ha and Jason Mraz in Voice, but got the next three with ease.

"Crude representation for hanging? Like on a wall?… Oh, that kind of hanging."

Skipping a grade is a promotion? I skipped 3 grades and never knew that.

====

Who else thought of this with a certain DJ! category?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8B0PfV2R0I

====

No guess on FJ! I keep thinking that Belfast is somewhere else, and I know nothing about Irish history.

what the HELL was that?!?!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

What?!?!
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

I also went with Dublin for FJ. I then said some choice words when I saw the wagers.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

L. O. L.

That is all.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got it right, but thought that was some nasty negbait on King of Macedonia when Philip also fit the category.

I agree the FJ category may have been somewhat misleading. but Belfast is the capital of Northern Ireland.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Did the players in tomorrow's game see the first two games? If so, that gives them a huge advantage going into the game because they know that the score to beat is only $100 by Irene. If the leader has third locked out, they would bet zero (or at least small enough to keep third locked out), even if it put them at risk of being passed by second place.
I'm sure any former contestants that have been in a tournament can confirm this here on these boards when they can, but contestants are only isolated in the green room before playing their first game during quarterfinal games (they are able to watch all the semi-final and final games, though).
Correct. All semifinalists are able, nay, required to watch each other's game. We were also told beforehand about the wild card rule, but I didn't think to ask why we were being allowed to watch the games then (perhaps because I subconsciously did not want to be stuck in the green room with Monty Python again).
Last edited by hanzz on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.