Friday, February 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, February 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6540, 2013-02-08

2013 Teen Tournament semifinal game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Nilai Sarda, a freshman from Marietta, Georgia
Emily Greenberg, a senior from Westport, Connecticut
Leonard Cooper, a senior from Little Rock, Arkansas

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hey, I'm still reeling from the ending of our program yesterday, the semifinal in which no contestant wound up with any money at the end of the game. It's never happened before. First time in any of our tournaments, and I was quite taken aback by it. But fortunately, the contestants were more familiar with the rules than I was. So I'm hoping that today, with Leonard, Emily, and Nilai, we have an easier time of it. Good luck. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. And here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AFRICAN AMERICANS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MOVIES BY CAST (4/5)
WEIRD SCIENCE (5/5)
INTERNATIONAL LANGUAGE LESSONS (4/5)
BE PRODUCTIVE (5/5)
WORK"ER"S (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Nilai: 13 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Leonard: 10 R, 0 W
Emily: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Nilai: $5,000
Leonard: $1,600
Emily: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Nilai Sarda is a 13-year-old freshmanat the Westminster Schools. He's obviously an honors student, but he also plays cricket. Do they have cricket there as a--as a school sport?

Nilai: No, they do not, but outside of school, in a couple of, like, fun, little games with, uh, my dad and his friends, I play cricket, and I really enjoy it.

Alex: Well, you need a lot of players. It's like baseball, in a way.

Nilai: It is, and you technically need 22 players, 11 on each side, but we usually end up with about 10, so we just--we just have a batter and then a bunch of fielders.

Alex: Okay. Are you a bowler, or are you one of the fielders?

Nilai: I fancy myself a spinner, but I'm not very good, so...

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Emily Greenberg is a senior from westport, Connecticut, a senior at staples high school, and a young lady who wrote a full script for a TV show?

Emily: Well, a pilot episode, and not entirely by myself.

Alex: Oh.

Emily: Sophomore year, I took a class in reading and writing fiction, and, uh, the seniors at my school have the option to go on internships in the spring for the last three weeks of the school year. So once the seniors in my class left, there were about five of us left in the class, and rather than, like, continue working, our teacher had us write an original screenplay for a pilot episode of a TV show, and, uh, we filmed the trailer, so...

Alex: And it wound up on YouTube?

Emily: Somewhere, I think. [Chuckles]

Alex: Somewhere.

Emily: You can look for it.

Alex: Okay. Good.

Alex: Leonard Cooper, a senior from Little Rock, Arkansas. Now, I mentioned to you last week on our program that you remind me of myself in many ways, because there was a time when I had hair like that.

[Laughter]

Alex: No longer, of course. A lot less hair, and it's gray now. But someone in your class or at your school--a young lady played a trick on you, I understand. I want to hear about that.

Leonard: Yeah, well, it was 9th-grade biology, and we were all sitting down at the desks, and there was a girl behind me who decided that she would put a, uh, small, pink highlighter in my head. She put it in on a Tuesday, I think. I didn't find it for three or four days. I didn't find it until that Friday. I was picking through my hair one day, and I just hit a lump, and I was like, "Oh, man. That's--that's a highlighter."

Alex: And when did you find out who did it to you?

[Laughs]

Leonard: I found out--I figured someone--but, yeah--I found out that Friday when I brought it to school and displayed it.

[Laughter]

Alex: Aha. I hope you made her pay. I won't ask you what you did in retaliation.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Nilai found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Leonard had $3,200, Emily had $1,200, and Nilai was at $5,400. Nilai wagered $2,000.

AFRICAN AMERICANS $600: Crispus Attucks, called the first American to die for independence, was killed in this 1770 incident

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MOVIES BY CAST $200: Keira Knightley & Jonathan Rhys Meyers in this soccer flick

AFRICAN AMERICANS $1000: (Kareem Abdul-Jabaar presents the clue.) In 1893 internal surgery was rare---most patients died of infection--but that year Dr. Daniel Hale Williams used antiseptic methods during one of the first successful open-heart surgeries suturing this sac around the heart

INTERNATIONAL LANGUAGE LESSONS $1000: In Germany it's how you say "thank you very much" for that second helping of spargel

WORK"ER"S $600: Mark 6:3 says Jesus is one of these

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Nilai: $9,400
Leonard: $6,000
Emily: $1,200

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, February 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HISTORY IS HAPPENING (5/5)
COMPLETE THE LYRIC (3/5)
LET'S VISIT A MUSEUM (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BOOKS & AUTHORS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WHAT TO WEAR? (4/5)
STARTS WITH... (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Emily: 14 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Leonard: 8 R, 1 W
Nilai: 5 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Emily snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Leonard had $6,000, Emily had $3,600, and Nilai was at $9,400. Emily wagered $2,000.

BOOKS & AUTHORS $1600: John Green riffed on a line from "Julius Caesar" for the title of this novel about 2 teens with cancer who fall in love

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Nilai who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Leonard had $10,800, Emily had $18,400, and Nilai was at $14,200. Nilai wagered $2,000.

LET'S VISIT A MUSEUM $1600: The Prado in this country is home to one of the world's finest art collections
(Alex: [*] is the right country.)
(Nilai: There's that geography.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHAT TO WEAR? $1600: This type of material made by joining layers of cloth together for warmth, maybe in a jacket

COMPLETE THE LYRIC $400: Usher & Alicia Keys:
"I know we haven't seen each other in a while, but you will always be my" this
(Alex: You will always be my [*].)

COMPLETE THE LYRIC $800: Frank Sinatra:
"If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere, it's up to you" here
(Alex: It's up to you, [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Emily: $18,400
Nilai: $16,200
Leonard: $15,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. GOVERNMENT

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Emily: Wager $14,001 to cover Nilai.
Nilai: You ought to wager to cover Leonard, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $16,200. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $14,200 (to shut out Leonard) or less than $11,800 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Leonard). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Emily.
Leonard: You ought to try wagering between $1,001 and $10,800. This will top a $0 wager by Nilai while still beating Emily and Nilai on the Triple Stumper (should Emily wager to cover Nilai's doubled score and Nilai wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Recently in the news, this agency traces its origins to an 1803 act helping Portsmouth, N.H. after a fire

FINAL SCORES
Leonard: $15,200 + $15,000 = $30,200 (What is FEMA) (2nd place: $10,000)
Nilai: $16,200 + $14,200 = $30,400 (What is FEMA) (Finalist)
Emily: $18,400 + $6,000 = $24,400 (What is FEMA?) (3rd place: $10,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Emily: $18,000, 17 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Leonard: $15,200, 18 R, 1 W
Nilai: $14,400, 18 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Combined Coryat: $47,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Leonard: 19/58 = .328
Nilai: 19/60 = .317
Emily: 18/59 = .305
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
AFRICAN AMERICANS $200: She's added to her accomplishments with "Modelland", a novel for young adults

WEIRD SCIENCE $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew demonstrates the clue.) It would seem that blowing into the bottle would force the paper ball inside; however, the fast-moving air goes past the paper & hits the bottom of the bottle, increasing this 8-letter term inside, & forces the paper out

WHAT TO WEAR? $800: A pair of riding these from Johnston & Murphy
(Leonard: What are jeans?)
(Alex: [*]--Johnston & Murphy.)

HISTORY IS HAPPENING $400: Check out the 1989 destruction of this European landmark

HISTORY IS HAPPENING $1600: Glub glub goes this ship in December 1862, 9 months after surviving a Merrimack attack
(Alex: [*] is the ship, yes.)

HISTORY IS HAPPENING $1200: The statue of this man topples just as he does, along with his regime in April, 2003

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Boston Massacre
Bend It Like Beckham
pericardium
danke schön
a carpenter
The Fault In Our Stars
Spain
quilting
boo
New York, New York
FEMA
Tyra Banks
pressure
boots
the Berlin Wall
the Monitor
(Saddam) Hussein

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:03 pm

U.S. Government
Recently in the news, this agency traces its origins to an 1803 act helping Portsmouth, N.H. after a fire.

SpoilerShow
What is FEMA?

Emily Greenberg: $18,400+$6,000=$24,400
Nilai Sarda: $16,200+$14,200=$30,400...Automatic Finalist
Leonard Cooper: $15,200+$15,000=$30,200...Advances to Finals with wild card
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:24 pm

Come on three way tie on zero, come on baby :)

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:05 pm

SAotY (Shout At of the Year) : "New York, New York". :o :shock:
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:19 pm

dhkendall wrote:SAotY (Shout At of the Year) : "New York, New York". :o :shock:
Danke schoen.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:28 pm

dhkendall wrote:SAotY (Shout At of the Year) : "New York, New York". :o :shock:
GRRRRRR. OK, I'm over it.

Why only bet 6000, from the lead!? No way I'd trust those two (or anyone, ever) to bet small with those tight scores, knowing that there's a wild card at atake, and that all they have to leave behind is $101+.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:28 pm

My brain was just not firing today. Got only 9 in J!, 5 in DJ!

Loads of 0/5s for me as well: African Americans, Movies, Productive, Museums, Books, and What to Wear. Notes:

* I've heard of Bend It Like Beckham, but it seemed too non-recent for $200.

* Grr, another bleeping "Here, identify someone famous from just their face" clue (Tyra Banks).

* Once again, I saw no way to shortcut those math problems. Especially 1.1 x 2.2.

* Embarrassing blank-out of the day: danke schön.

* I've heard the term "wallflower" several times, but it always seems to have a different meaning whenever I see it used. And I've never seen it used for a person at a dance before.

* Katy Perry was my only lyrical get. "My Boo" was WAY too obscure for $400. "Seven Nation Army" was on the tip of my tongue, but I couldn't get it in time.

How do you get FEMA out of that clue? The TOM there was getting me nowhere.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

ACW

Post by ACW » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:49 pm

Bleach=Acid??? :?: :?: :?:
Bleach is BASIC, not acidic :?

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:59 pm

ACW wrote:Bleach=Acid??? :?: :?: :?:
But I guess they both have the same effect on denim.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:01 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:* Once again, I saw no way to shortcut those math problems. Especially 1.1 x 2.2.
WHAT!!?!? Were you never taught how to multiply by one? That's even easier than multiplying by ten.
TenPoundHammer wrote:How do you get FEMA out of that clue? The TOM there was getting me nowhere.
What other organization can you think of that helps people after tragedy strikes?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

guessonguessonguess
Valued Contributor

Post by guessonguessonguess » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:02 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:How do you get FEMA out of that clue? The TOM there was getting me nowhere.
... "U.S. Government," "agency" and "helping after a fire." If that alone isn't enough, "recently in the news" leaves you with very few options considering there's no National Agency of Putting Out Fires.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:06 pm

That's just an awful question on "bleach."

Almost all bleaches are basic, though technically a bleach only needs to bleach to be a bleach.

An "acid" is a liquid in the sense that, a bunch of molecules with acidic properties in the same container at room temperature and normal pressure probably will be a liquid. But "acidity" is the property of a molecule, no more. Tartaric acid says hello.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:07 pm

OK, so what is it about this tournament that makes so many contestants not want to advance to the next round?

Brian

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:12 pm

ACW wrote:Bleach=Acid??? :?: :?: :?:
I think your quibble is with whomever came up with the name "acid-washed jeans", as it seems that bleach is always a part of the process.

Bend it Like Beckham and "My Boo" are both pop culture from around 10 years ago, making them pretty tough for current teenagers. I've noticed several clues like that in this tournament, that would probably be instagets for a college group, but these kids are just a touch too young for them. Then again, the Metallica clue was a get, so maybe these two clues were just anomalies.

Interesting that Nilai didn't bet the extra dollar to cover Leonard, so if Emily had made a cover bet, Leonard would have missed out on a tiebreaker question by not going all-in. Was that pure Machiavellian genius by Nilai, knowing that there was no way Leonard would bet it all after what happened yesterday?

We've discussed in the past that for tournament quarterfinals, they always make sure to get all 60 clues in to equalize everyone's opportunities to earn a wildcard, yet sometimes clues get left unrevealed in the Semi-Finals or Finals, since there is no need to level the playing field between players from different games. While we did get all the clues in during this week's games, I wonder if after the triple zero yesterday, the show will change that policy in the future to ensure that all Semi-Finalists get to see 60 (yeah, 61) clues as well. And hey, while they're at it, why not make sure every clue gets seen in the Finals as well?
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

guessonguessonguess
Valued Contributor

Post by guessonguessonguess » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:13 pm

The boy's answer to the '80s-denim question was absolutely terrible but, sadly, correct.If you tell a fashionista you like her "bleach-wash" jeans, she's going to laugh at you. When you ask "What kind of liquid were jeans popularly washed in during both the 1980s and contemporary society" or something to that effect, bleach is an acceptable answer.

Because you wouldn't have jeans anymore if you put them in acid.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:27 pm

bpmod wrote:OK, so what is it about this tournament that makes so many contestants not want to advance to the next round?
Barrett? :twisted:

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:28 pm

This game certainly presented a set of unique wagering scenarios. I am assuming that these 3 players knew that the second place player would advance as long as they had over $100, as there doesn't seem to be any known reason why they would not have seen the end of Wednesday's game.

In Emily's position, had she chosen to bet enough to ensure a win on a get, she didn't need to bet to cover 2nd, she only needed to bet to cover 3rd. So instead of betting $14,001 and falling to $4,399 on a miss, she could have bet $12,001 and dropped to $6,399 on a miss. This means that one possible wager for Leonard may have been $8,800, which would drop him to $6,400 on a miss, ahead of Emily's MSBIW score, and on a get would raise him to $24,000. Now maybe this is a total coincidence, but Emily's actual wager of $6,000 raised her to $24,600, which would have covered this potential "safe" wager from Leonard.

I did not envy Nilai's position, as the wager he would have to make to cover Leonard would all but ensure that he finished in 3rd place if he was wrong, which is an unfortunate place to be in when the top 2 are nearly guaranteed to advance. As it turned out, Leonard bet big, so Nilai would have still advanced on a triple stumper, but I would have been awfully nervous waiting for the FJ clue reveal if I had written down $14,200 in Nilai's spot.

I thought this FJ was way, way easier than those from the other 2 Semi-Finals, but maybe that's just because I didn't get either of those. I won't mention the subjects of those clues in order to avoid spoiling anyone, but I guess the weekly poll should prove me right or wrong.

WilliamPorygon
Contributor

Post by WilliamPorygon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:28 pm

jeff6286 wrote: Interesting that Nilai didn't bet the extra dollar to cover Leonard, so if Emily had made a cover bet, Leonard would have missed out on a tiebreaker question by not going all-in. Was that pure Machiavellian genius by Nilai, knowing that there was no way Leonard would bet it all after what happened yesterday?
Except the tiebreaker is only used for ties for first place. Since they would've tied for second, there would've been no tiebreaker, they would've had the same score for the wildcard spot, and Nilai would've advanced by virtue of having the higher score going into FJ!

(It would also mark that point the average viewers' brains would start to BSOD from all these obscure rules.)

ihsh
Contributor

Post by ihsh » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:29 pm

I'm guessing that Emily bet only $6000 because she thought "hey, if I don't beg big, and either one of the other two players get FJ wrong , then I will be guaranteed a second place!"