Wednesday, February 13, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Re: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BADuBois »

Dr. J wrote:As for insider info, it was during this game that Mr. Trebek's hand became acquainted with my Jass (if you know what I mean) immediately after we took our picture! I blame him for throwing off my mojo ;) Turns out he IS a devil! :twisted: (lest you think he's a total perv, I did rather goad him into it.)
Ah, that's the Dr. J we've all come to know and love!
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Speaking of the presidential acquisitions, I did reasonably well on that one playing along at home, although luck plays a role too.

I got Jefferson for the Louisiana Purchase without difficulty. For the Alaska one, I thought of Seward, but I said Lincoln instead of Johnson. I clammed on Hawaii and McKinley, and then got lucky with Monroe and Polk -- blurted both of those out, was a little scared because I knew I was *close* to correct, but could easily have been off by a few years. (I quickly thought "1819 is a little later than 1812, and Monroe is a little later than Madison." I also thought Polk was late 1840s but couldn't absolutely swear by the years.)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Dr. J wrote: I also was prepared to say jalopy, which is a more crossword-y word, IMO.
Mark? Do we have a poll question? :) Jalopy was mine, too.
Dr. J wrote: There WAS a weird stoppage when Alex told Jason that his answer of Thomas Jefferson was wrong. (It wasn't of course!). We all thought that Trebek was losing it a bit...
That category was tougher than I thought it'd be. After the TJ gimmie, there was Alaska (which is a Seward Pavlov but no Pavlov for the POTUS!) Let's see, 1867 was the year, I think, so.. Johnson? Really? Guess he wasn't a total loser after all. Hawaii was... not sure! McKinley? Really? I might've missed that even on the rebound. Polk was over-valued, but the final one was ungettable for me without the year.

Good to see you playing again, Dr J. I am hoping you would have moved on to the semis! (Man, that past perfutational tense is tough to conjugate.)
erak
Queen Elizabeth's Phrenologist

Post by erak »

I'm curious, Stephanie, did you work out average TOC wild card amounts prior to the tournament? I knew going into Final Jeopardy that that's what you were going for since your tendency isn't to bet big.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

erak wrote:I'm curious, Stephanie, did you work out average TOC wild card amounts prior to the tournament? I knew going into Final Jeopardy that that's what you were going for since your tendency isn't to bet big.
Funny you should ask, Erik! My lovely Baker's Dozen did those calculations as my "coach" and had various stats to share. But apparently since I'm his wife, I wasn't listening too carefully. He told me that the mean qualifying score was like $12,600. I somehow heard that as the average high qualifying score, or some such thing, so I was feeling pretty safe with $13, while apparently he was in the audience quietly having a heart attack (know the signs, people!).

Lesson being: either do your own homework or listen to your spouse, I guess.
Have fun reliving my day with me over the next week. :)
ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

skullturf wrote:Speaking of the presidential acquisitions, I did reasonably well on that one playing along at home, although luck plays a role too.

I got Jefferson for the Louisiana Purchase without difficulty. For the Alaska one, I thought of Seward, but I said Lincoln instead of Johnson. I clammed on Hawaii and McKinley, and then got lucky with Monroe and Polk -- blurted both of those out, was a little scared because I knew I was *close* to correct, but could easily have been off by a few years. (I quickly thought "1819 is a little later than 1812, and Monroe is a little later than Madison." I also thought Polk was late 1840s but couldn't absolutely swear by the years.)
I pre-called The Gadsden Purchase for the bottom clue, but alas, it wasn't there.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

We were :shock: at the lack of wagering in FJ!, but the most I thought about it, the more I suspected it was because of the category.

Helluva game. Really looking forward to the rest of this tournament.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
dippy
Valued Contributor

Post by dippy »

good game tonight steph, you did your very best, dont forget to eat a healthy breakfast in preparation for a possible semi game.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Seward was connected to Lincoln by being stabbed the night Lincoln was shot. The Alaska purchase would have come after the war, so it had to be Johnson.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

skullturf wrote:In Crossword Clues "J" at $1200, I said "jalopy" but the contestant on the show said "junker", I think. I gave myself credit at home. Is that OK, do you think?
I did too, and accepted it. I was sure that was what they were going for!
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

What was up with the wagering? I was expecting all 3 of them to bet it all. Now this thread will never reach 14 pages.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

Boy, I don't envy being in that situation with $13000. That sure seems like a tough spot to me. I think I might have played for the lead and hope that ~$10k was good for a wildcard as a backup, if only to avoid having to sit through 4 games with a score of $13k and a pit in my stomach.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

jeff6286 wrote:What was up with the wagering? I was expecting all 3 of them to bet it all. Now this thread will never reach 14 pages.
Bummer, eh?
omgwheelhouse wrote:Boy, I don't envy being in that situation with $13000. That sure seems like a tough spot to me. I think I might have played for the lead and hope that ~$10k was good for a wildcard as a backup, if only to avoid having to sit through 4 games with a score of $13k and a pit in my stomach.
Yes. But only in hindsight was it apparent that the alternative was not "having to sit through 4 games with a score of $10k and a pit in [her] stomach."

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I would think that people the get this far have researched it well enough. In the teen tourny, 13K is most likely not going to do it. In the ToC, it's a very good number. If I were at 12K or better I'd bet zero thinking I'd be all right. Historically, FJ! in the ToC can be very hard. Ask Stefan Goodreau.
falsifieddocuments
Valued Contributor

Post by falsifieddocuments »

jeff6286 wrote:What was up with the wagering? I was expecting all 3 of them to bet it all. Now this thread will never reach 14 pages.
Challenge accepted.

Canada sucks. Discuss.
dmleach
Damn Jeopardy! Hooligan

Post by dmleach »

Ah, nice to finally see these games, seeing as how I was stuck in the green room with Corina watching Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and Iron Man all day long. Of course if I hadn't been there I wouldn't have found out that Corina is a big ol' comics geek.

Quite the start to the tournament! Count me in for jalopy too, and pleased to pick up demagogue. I completely blanked on Ramses' name, though.

Looking forward to game two tomorrow!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Dr. J wrote:So between my trepidation about the category and being in the first game, I took a risk that $13,000 would be enough for a wildcard. I was chagrined when I saw the FJ clue, as it was an easy get!
Yeah, too bad, that category definitely seemed scary! Hopefully your score holds up for a wild card.

Both my wife and I came up with Rameses. She actually put the pieces together with Ra and Sun. I just went went with my gut knowing there were a whole slew of pharaohs named Rameses.
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

dmleach wrote:stuck in the green room with Corina
...I can think of worse things in the world. ;) ;)
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

Dr. J wrote:
Swift'sSecondCourse wrote: For the record, I also guessed jalopy.
Menchaca!! I also was prepared to say jalopy, which is a more crossword-y word, IMO. (Joon, want to weigh in on this one?). I think they would've accepted it.
sure, yeah. i was also saying jalopy in my living room. but of course both are right—they start with j, have six letters, and mean the same thing. it is true that jalopy is ever so slightly more common in actual crossword puzzles (and junker, if it were to come up, could be clued alternately, as the class of german nobles), but that's neither here nor there.

great game to watch. loved the board, loved the gameplay, and loved the FJ clue. god, i've missed the ToC!

as for champollion being too obscure? he was actually a correct response in the first QF of the last ToC! i remember being unsurprised that jay rhee knew him, but quite surprised to find that tom nissley didn't.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

I felt like i was looking at a rebus from Concentration on FJ. Let's see Sun=Ra + something that looks like an M with a beanie + 2 sort of "c" shapes. RaMC's. Done.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.