Thursday, February 14, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, February 14, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6544, 2013-02-14

2013 Tournament of Champions quarterfinal game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Colby Burnett, a high school world history teacher from Chicago, Illinois
David Menchaca, a law student from Long Beach, California
Joel Pool, a real estate developer from Oakland, California

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the second of our quarterfinal matches. In our Tournaments of Champions, one thing you will notice is that the games seem to play faster. And that's true. They do because the contestants don't make many mistakes. They're that good. Alright, Joel, David, and Colby, good to see you again. Good luck also. And now here come the categories for the Jeopardy! round. Starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GREAT BRITON (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TIE ONE (4/5)
"TAS"-MANIA (5/5)
AISLE OF MAN (3/5)
CANARIES (5/5)
SURROUNDED BY WATER (5/5) (Alex: You have to name the surrounding body of water for us.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Colby: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
David: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Joel: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Colby found the Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Joel had no money, David was scoreless, and Colby was at $200. Colby wagered $1,000.

GREAT BRITON $400: In 1997 a memorial fund in her name was established to continue her humanitarian work
(Colby: I guess I'll have to go with $1,000.)
(Alex: You don't have to, but you are choosing to.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Colby: $5,600
David: $1,200
Joel: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Colby Burnett is the most recent Teachers Tournament winner. Picked up $100,000, and as a result, the governor of the state of Illinois, uh, paid you quite a compliment in a special way.

Colby: Right, so there issued a proclamation saying that it was Colby Burnett Day in December. Uh, none of the kids get a day off for it, so it's not that big a deal.

[Laughter]

Colby: But, it's nice having the governor attend your high school, and have his younger brother teach you. So, it also helped that we had that connection.

Alex: Everybody must have felt really positive about it.

Colby: Definitely.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: David Menchaca, originally from Long Beach, California. A girl online, because of your wins on Jeopardy!, wanted to do something special about you or with you?

David: Uh, about me.

Alex: Oh, okay.

[Laughter]

David: I mean, maybe with me as well, I don't know.

Alex: Uh-huh.

David: Um, but apparently I have a Twitter following. I'm not on Twitter, but I have them nonetheless, and um, so one of my friends pointed out that somebody had offered somebody else on Twitter to write fan fiction about me. [Shrugs.] Yeah. I know.

Alex: A love story in the making.

David: Perhaps. I haven't read it, but I would be my guess.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Joel Pool won $116,000 in his initial appearance on our program. You have to be careful about promises you make, and Joel has discovered that. Because in preparation for your initial appearances, what did you do?

Joel: Well, I was visiting my brother's family in Florida, and I kind of commandeered their television set to practice with the game, uh, right when my nephew Joseph was, uh, usually had his TV time.

Alex: And he's how old?

Joel: He was 8 years old.

Alex: Okay, and you made a promise to him which was?

Joel: Well, to smooth things out, I said if I, uh, for every thousand dollars I won I'd give him a dollar. And I was getting a lot of congratulatory calls from family after the, uh, my run on the show. And I got a call from him. And I said, "Well, what did you think? How did I do up there?" and he goes, "Don't we have some business to discuss?"

[Laughter]

Alex: $117 worth of business, alright.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AISLE OF MAN $800: The name of this "Essence of Man" cologne & deodorant means "dry" in French

AISLE OF MAN $1000: This company says its Excite shower gel will have "your angel falling"

TIE ONE $800: Tie up one of these using a rope called a painter

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Colby: $7,600
David: $3,800
Joel: $3,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, February 14, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PIN THE TALE ON THE WRITER (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
LET'S ROCK (5/5)
"BABY" MOVIES (4/5)
THE OLD FARMER'S ALMANAC 2013 (3/5)
U.S. POLITICS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
PUNNY & NOT-PUNNY DEFINITIONS (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
David: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Colby: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Joel: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
David snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Joel had $3,800, David had $5,400, and Colby was at $8,000. David wagered $2,600.

U.S. POLITICS $1600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew stands near a monitor displaying a U.S. map.) 1968 was the last time a third-party candidate captured a state; Nixon won 32 red states, Humphrey took 13 blues, and this independent won a block of five southern states
(David: Who is Strom Thurmond?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Colby who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 12th clue. Joel had $4,600, David had $4,800, and Colby was at $9,600. Colby wagered $800.

PIN THE TALE ON THE WRITER $1200: "The Adventure of the Speckled Band"
(1892)
(Colby: I will not Roger Craig this. I will bet $800.)
(Colby: Who is Twain?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"BABY" MOVIES $1200: Diane Keaton plays a yuppie who inherits an infant

PIN THE TALE ON THE WRITER $2000: "Young Goodman Brown"
(1835)

PUNNY & NOT-PUNNY DEFINITIONS $1600: "A colossal brim of a cap", or an overseeing manager
(Alex: What is a [*]?)
[Colby hisses and shakes his head after Alex gives the correct response.]
(Alex: Oh, come on, Colby. It was funnier than that.)
[Laughter]

PUNNY & NOT-PUNNY DEFINITIONS $2000: "A school class for a prisoner", or a large open space for crowds at an airport
(Alex: You're gonna love this one. What is a [*]. [Pauses.] Or maybe you're not gonna love this one.)
[Laughter]
(Colby: Oom! Yes.)

THE OLD FARMER'S ALMANAC 2013 $1600: Philematology is the study of this; osculation is the act of doing it

THE OLD FARMER'S ALMANAC 2013 $2000: Occurring twice a month, it's the 6-letter hard-to-spell term for when the sun, moon & earth are in alignment

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Colby: $15,200
David: $11,600
Joel: $5,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MUSEUMS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place.
Colby: Wager $8,001 to cover David.
David: You'll want to wager $3,601, and you'll win the game if Colby wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Joel: You can't really win on a Triple Stumper, so your best hope is if you're the only one to get Final right. Wager everything but a few dollars.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Its collection includes a 16" high architects' model of its first permanent building, opened in 1939

FINAL SCORES
Joel: $5,800 - $5,800 = $0 (What is the building museum?) (3rd place: $5,000)
David: $11,600 - $0 = $11,600 (What is the Guggenhiem?) (2nd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Colby: $15,200 + $1,200 = $16,400 (What is MOMA?) (Automatic semifinalist)
(Alex: Great place to visit, if you visit New York.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Colby: $15,400, 20 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
David: $14,200, 18 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Joel: $5,800, 11 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $35,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Colby: 21/60 = .350
David: 18/59 = .305
Joel: 11/58 = .190
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
GREAT BRITON $600: British policemen owe their nickname "bobbies" to this statesman

GREAT BRITON $1000: Pictured here circa 1702, she was the last Stuart monarch
(David: Who was Mary?)
[Applause for Colby's run of the category.]

AISLE OF MAN $600: Esquire says Kyoku for Men's sake-infused this is "like the old-fashioned stuff you'd spread on with a brush"
(What is egg? Don't know.)

U.S. POLITICS $800: They're the two New York governors seen here.
(Joel: Who are Cuomo? Who are [*]?)

PUNNY & NOT-PUNNY DEFINITIONS $800: "In favor of footballer Howie or actress Shelley", or to keep something going
(Joel: What is going long?)

THE OLD FARMER'S ALMANAC 2013 $400: Your 2013 weather forecast: expect fewer tornadoes but be ready for these to threaten the gulf & Atlantic coasts in June
(Joel: What are superstorms?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Princess Diana
Brut
Axe
a boat
George Wallace
Arthur Conan Doyle
Baby Boom
Nathaniel Hawthorne
supervisor
concourse
kissing
syzygy
MoMA (Museum of Modern Art)
Robert Peale
(Queen) Anne
shaving cream
Mario and Andrew Cuomo
prolong
hurricanes
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Museums
Its collection includes a 16" high architects' model of its first permanent building, opened in 1939.

Colby Burnett: $15,200+$1,200=$16,400...Automatic Semi-Finalist
David Menchaca: $11,600-$0=$11,600
Joel Pool: $5,800-$5,800=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
falsifieddocuments
Valued Contributor

Post by falsifieddocuments »

Man, I almost had that final. I was thinking back to the museum discussion on these boards from the teen tourney, and I considered MOMA, but I wasn't sure if it had multiple buildings. I knew the Smithsonian has multiple buildings, but I was pretty sure that was established before the 1930s. I went with the Smithsonian, which, in retrospect, was pretty stupid. I don't know what the first Smithsonian looks like, but I should've realized it didn't look like that.

At least I can take pride in knowing getting Nathaniel Hawthorne for "Young Goodman Brown." He was not subtle with those titles/character names, was he?

Glad to see Colby did well. A friend of mine went to his high school before he taught there, and she says everyone was really excited about his win. And he's just really fun to watch. Did Colby mention that Pat Quinn's younger brother taught him at one point? That's pretty cool.

David, that was a somewhat awkward interview. But it's always good when a contestant can make Alex squirm.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Instaget FJ for me, but I've been there any number of times. The little brownstone on the end might have been a clue, otherwise I think it could be tough for some people.

Surprised at the two misses on the DDs in DJ, especially Wallace, but I might be showing my age.

An error in the first round in Aisle of Man for $1000 answer: Axe is not a company, it's a brand. The correct answer is Unilever.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

My hunch was that Colby would win and he did.

I think some pretty good questions tonight. Nice mix of wordplay, pop culture, geo, lit, that sort of thing.

On FJ I wasn't 100% sure. I thought it might be the MOMA, or part of it, just from the pic, but toyed with it being some early home of the Guggenheim, as well the Building Museum. The 1939 date sold me on MOMA, as that would have been a good date for its first permanent building (it was started in the Depression by rich ladies). Guggenheim was around 1960, as you can guess by the look.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Austin Powers wrote:On FJ I wasn't 100% sure. I thought it might be the MOMA, or part of it, just from the pic, but toyed with it being some early home of the Guggenheim, as well the Building Museum. The 1939 date sold me on MOMA, as that would have been a good date for its first permanent building (it was started in the Depression by rich ladies). Guggenheim was around 1960, as you can guess by the look.
My thought process was similar, but I was less sure of everything. Luckily, I went with MoMA in the end.

I think it helped that just the other day, there was a discussion on this very board about the "three big" NYC museums (Met, MoMA, Guggenheim). I, too, briefly considered the possibility that the Guggenheim used to be in a different building, but switched to MoMA, reasoning that the year of 1939 seemed vaguely plausible.

I've been to New York twice, and I've seen the Met and the Guggenheim, but never been inside either. I've never even seen the MoMA and don't know what it looks like. That was part of the reason I said MoMA!
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

skullturf wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:On FJ I wasn't 100% sure. I thought it might be the MOMA, or part of it, just from the pic, but toyed with it being some early home of the Guggenheim, as well the Building Museum. The 1939 date sold me on MOMA, as that would have been a good date for its first permanent building (it was started in the Depression by rich ladies). Guggenheim was around 1960, as you can guess by the look.
My thought process was similar, but I was less sure of everything. Luckily, I went with MoMA in the end.

I think it helped that just the other day, there was a discussion on this very board about the "three big" NYC museums (Met, MoMA, Guggenheim). I, too, briefly considered the possibility that the Guggenheim used to be in a different building, but switched to MoMA, reasoning that the year of 1939 seemed vaguely plausible.

I've been to New York twice, and I've seen the Met and the Guggenheim, but never been inside either. I've never even seen the MoMA and don't know what it looks like. That was part of the reason I said MoMA!
The MoMA doesn't stand out architecturally because it's more or less quintessential Manhattan around that area, with lots of tall buildings and such. The Guggenheim stands out because of its shape and the Metropolitan stands out because it's at the edge of Central Park, all to itself, and has the classical architectural look.

I've been to the MoMA twice and I could only describe it as this typical glass looking deal.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

My SotD was kissing. How can that be a TS?

But, on everything else, they were running circles around me.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

By the way, as a cat lover, when the category of "Baby" movies was revealed, I was waiting with bated breath, saying "Where's 'Bringing Up Baby'?" I was pleased that it eventually showed up.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Leander wrote:Instaget FJ for me, but I've been there any number of times. The little brownstone on the end might have been a clue, otherwise I think it could be tough for some people.
Surprised at the two misses on the DDs in DJ, especially Wallace, but I might be showing my age.
An error in the first round in Aisle of Man for $1000 answer: Axe is not a company, it's a brand. The correct answer is Unilever.
Agree, agree, agree, agree, etc. I have no idea if it's pertinent, but 1939 and the lines of the structure made me think of the NYC World's Fair, steering me to MOMA, so I jotted that down and thought of nothing better. Makes me 1 and 1 so far in the TOC FJs.
I thought the "two step" process getting first to Axe, then having to know Axe was Unilever was tough, even for ToC. Then when Axe was announced, I thought I was misinterpreting the clue.
Syzygy not only should not have been a TS, I was surprised it didn't show up during the "just Y" category for teens, who I bet would've gotten it.
Wallace winning states I always thought was one of those trivia-tritus facts people are tired of answering.
And YAY Dr J remains in her spot for WC!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Previous post deleted; Thanks to teapot and Brian for the links to the image for the FJ clue.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

I thought that Bringing Up Baby was the easiest clue in that category, yet it was valued at $2000. :o
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

jeff6286 wrote:I haven't been able to find an image online that looks anything like the one used in the FJ clue. If anybody else can find it, I'd love a link to be able to add it into the FJ clue posting. Or maybe a screen capture from the show, for those with that capability. I would appreciate the help.
http://www.moma.org/collection/object.p ... t_id=82404
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

A grand total of THREE questions right in J!. That was tough for me.

For FJ!, I switched from the Smithsonian to the "New York Museum of Art"... Judges?
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

Austin Powers wrote:My hunch was that Colby would win and he did.

I think some pretty good questions tonight. Nice mix of wordplay, pop culture, geo, lit, that sort of thing.

On FJ I wasn't 100% sure. I thought it might be the MOMA, or part of it, just from the pic, but toyed with it being some early home of the Guggenheim, as well the Building Museum. The 1939 date sold me on MOMA, as that would have been a good date for its first permanent building (it was started in the Depression by rich ladies). Guggenheim was around 1960, as you can guess by the look.
Presumably you are including Philip Johnson under the rubric "rich ladies." Not entirely unjustifiable, but not PC of course.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I thought about the year and thought MOMA might fit; considered that there might be some kind of architecture museum, but couldn't think of any names.

LOLed at David's interview!
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

falsifieddocuments wrote:Did Colby mention that Pat Quinn's younger brother taught him at one point? That's pretty cool.
Seems like he did, yes. Although I was confused for just a moment by that question, thinking of the other Pat(rick) Quinn.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

For me, the FJ! TOM was 1939. That led me to the World's Fair, which led me home to New York, at which point I said, "Fuck it, I don't know, what is the Museum of Modern Art?"

For kissing, that philome-whatever-the-heck made me think of the myth of Philomela, and I ended up stuck on singing. :(
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

marpocky wrote:
falsifieddocuments wrote:Did Colby mention that Pat Quinn's younger brother taught him at one point? That's pretty cool.
Seems like he did, yes. Although I was confused for just a moment by that question, thinking of the other Pat(rick) Quinn.
I think there are a few famous Pat(rick) Quinns. One of them being my old neighbour.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.