Pet Intellectual Peeves

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by This Is Kirk! » Wed May 17, 2017 2:20 pm

Blue Lion wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 12:18 am
People have forgotten what the symbol "$" stands for. I've even seen the dollar sign followed by a number and the word "dollars" in a story in the New York Times.

One example from around here: An ad for a prominent personal-injury law firm features one of the founder's sons boasting that the firm has recovered "$1 BILLION DOLLARS" in judgments and settlements. And this ad has been running for months.
This is only tangentially related, but it bugs me when you see something written like this: "A dime is worth ten (10) cents." Is this intended for people who are incapable of reading numbers that are spelled out? :D

Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion » Wed May 17, 2017 9:48 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 2:20 pm
This is only tangentially related, but it bugs me when you see something written like this: "A dime is worth ten (10) cents." Is this intended for people who are incapable of reading numbers that are spelled out? :D
This is common practice in legal documents, though I don't see how expressing the amount in both numbers and words makes things any clearer. Then again, attorneys insist on putting the most useless word in the English language, "hereby", in documents. (Full disclosure: I'm a member of the Bar.)

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:42 pm

OK maybe not an intellectual peeve per se, but a Jeopardy! fan peeve:

[Using a completely made up clue example]

Regular people would say things like: "You know, on Jeopardy!, when their final question last night was "who was the author of Les Miserables"? ... " when of course we know the questions are never phrased in such a way and the clue was really something like "this author of Les Miserables was pictured on the 500 franc note in the 1960s". Just *bugs* me when I see people all of a sudden forgetting the "answer is the question" format that Jeopardy! is famous for!

Rant off.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Wheatley
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Wheatley » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:22 pm

Songs & poems where they rhyme "again" with "rain" or "pain," but they pronounce "again" in the way that doesn''t rhyme
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

acthomas
Contributor

Post by acthomas » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:00 am

Wheatley wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:22 pm
Songs & poems where they rhyme "again" with "rain" or "pain," but they pronounce "again" in the way that doesn''t rhyme
Something tells me there's a special place in your heart (one way or the other) for The Who's "I Can't Explain" where they do it both ways, but lined up so that the rhyme works.

https://youtu.be/h3h--K5928M?t=31s

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:53 pm

From a discussion thread today. Speaker is speaking out against a younger-generation friendly change and is in his 60s:

"Baby boomers are the fastest growing generation today!"

Uhh, no they aren't. No generation, save the one containing people being born right now (what is the one after millennial, Generation Z?) is growing. (He may mean "senior citizens", many of whom are baby boomers, which are indeed the fastest growing age group afaik, but no generation, save the current one, is "growing". So for all you millennial haters, rejoice. There's gradually fewer and fewer of them.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:06 pm

dhkendall wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:53 pm
From a discussion thread today. Speaker is speaking out against a younger-generation friendly change and is in his 60s:

"Baby boomers are the fastest growing generation today!"

Uhh, no they aren't. No generation, save the one containing people being born right now (what is the one after millennial, Generation Z?) is growing. (He may mean "senior citizens", many of whom are baby boomers, which are indeed the fastest growing age group afaik, but no generation, save the current one, is "growing". So for all you millennial haters, rejoice. There's gradually fewer and fewer of them.)
Perhaps he meant growing by weight? Obesity is highest in the baby boomers according to this website: https://stateofobesity.org/obesity-by-age/ :-)