Pet Intellectual Peeves

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Andromus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Andromus »

I have to confess to overuse of parentheses, along with commaphilia. I've been trying to cut back, but I find they're very much like potato chips. Once you have a few, you, can't, simply, stop.

My latest inane catchphrase pet peeve is "Win the future". How does one win a concept of time, anyway? And if we can do that, shouldn't we concentrate on winning the present first, as it looks like we're getting our posteriors handed to us there?

pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

The word "travesty" seems to be turning into a synonym of "tragedy." Television newsreaders are to blame, I think. The first time I heard this misuse was after the Oklahoma City bombing (which, as you might expect, got a lot of news coverage here in Tulsa). Now it seems that everything from a downed airliner to an African famine is a "travesty."

The word "tragedy" has lost its classical meaning and has come to mean "catastrophe" or "disaster," and now "travesty" is following it. Arrgh.

Imagine "The Travesty of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark." It would be a whole 'nother play.

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Headline in The Moscow Times: "Deceased Lawyer Faces New Inquiry." Hmm...

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Vanya wrote:Headline in The Moscow Times: "Deceased Lawyer Faces New Inquiry." Hmm...
Well, as long as he was buried face-up, he could still be facing it.

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

This morning a TV news anchor here in DC -- a substitute sitting in for the regular guy -- introduced the weatherman who was about to discuss the end of the recent heat wave by saying, ". . . And it looks like we'll be seeing an end to the unbearable heat we've all gotten used to!"

Perhaps just an illustration of why this guy is only a substitute.

Rex

oddsox
Valued Contributor

Post by oddsox »

You 'literally' exploded with anger at that guy who cut you off in traffic? How did they put you back together?

This particular tic makes me figuratively burn with rage.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

oddsox wrote:You 'literally' exploded with anger at that guy who cut you off in traffic? How did they put you back together?

Obligatory xkcd: http://xkcd.com/725/ (Hover mouse over strip for extra laugh.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Rumble Fish (6), The LEGO Batman Movie (7), Carnage (7), Baywatch (5)

oddsox
Valued Contributor

Post by oddsox »

Volante wrote:
oddsox wrote:You 'literally' exploded with anger at that guy who cut you off in traffic? How did they put you back together?

Obligatory xkcd: http://xkcd.com/725/ (Hover mouse over strip for extra laugh.)
when he wrote this, my wife told me 'you need to read this one'. It was a good 'un. Didn't remember that he used the 'exploded' figure of speech in it.

jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

That is literally the most annoying thing in the world. :)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

pinkfreud wrote:Imagine "The Travesty of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark." It would be a whole 'nother play.
I've seen "The Travesty of Hamlet, Queen of Denmark." It was a drag.

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

There's a taped announcement on the DC Metro system that advises parents stepping onto escalators with young children to "please carry or hold your child's hand". That sounds more like advice to follow after the kid has been ground up in the escalator's gears.*

Rex

*Not to worry, folks; most of the escalators don't work anyway!

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Heard in a promo for the "Glee" movie (which is bad enough by itself): "real-D" for normal (non-3D) projection of a movie. Aargh.

jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

Vanya wrote:Heard in a promo for the "Glee" movie (which is bad enough by itself): "real-D" for normal (non-3D) projection of a movie. Aargh.
It's better than the studios trying to get you to pay extra for 3D by calling non-3D fake-D.

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Vanya wrote:Heard in a promo for the "Glee" movie (which is bad enough by itself): "real-D" for normal (non-3D) projection of a movie. Aargh.
RealD is a brand name for 3D projection/viewing equipment -- I haven't seen any ads specifically for "Glee," but I've heard other ads that say something like "in 3D or RealD at select theaters," where presumably RealD paid a little extra to get themselves specifically mentioned. I guess it's the modern version of "in stereo or Dolby Stereo at select theaters."

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Seen on msnbc.com: "her’s". Aargh.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20 ... -two-paths

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Am I the only one who's been peeved lately? Anyway, got a card from an arborist: "..if your trees have been maintenanced...". Aaaack!

--Pete
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by --Pete »

Hi,
Vanya wrote: Am I the only one who's been peeved lately?
No.

--Pete
"We are looking over our new domicile,
If we like, we stay for maybe quite a while."

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

-

Post by dhkendall »

Improper hyphenation bugs me.

Saw the following in a relationship column in yesterday's Metro (complete with line breaks):
Unless you two have a re-
al hard time dating ...
... I mean, really? (Or is that "re-ally"?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: -

Post by Woof »

dhkendall wrote:Improper hyphenation bugs me.

Saw the following in a relationship column in yesterday's Metro (complete with line breaks):
Unless you two have a re-
al hard time dating ...
... I mean, really? (Or is that "re-ally"?)
Maybe the author is Spanish? :lol:

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got chased off a Facebook group recently.

I joined a group composed of people from the area where I grew up called "You know you from.....". People would mention places they used to eat, hang out, etc. I hadn't even noticed the name of the group. Then one day, the group administater posted a comment saying she had received complaints about the group's name and deleted them because she didn't want negativity on the site. She said she was keeping the name because even though she had a bunch of degrees, she didn't mind using ebonics. I said talking like that made you look like an uneducated buffoon.

Well, she didn't like that very much and said so. She again bragged about her degrees and said I didn't have to post there. She said comments others made didn't bother her and that they had the problem, not her. She said she did what they didn't have the balls to do and deleted her comments. I told her she must have had a problem with them or else she wouldn't have deleted the comments. I said I wasn't staying where I wasn't wanted, so I left the group.
Last edited by Bamaman on Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.