Pet Intellectual Peeves

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by alietr »

MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MitchO »

Saw this sign in my town. By the time I got there, all the Jackmans were sold out. However, all the Grants were still sitting on the tables, saying "Purchase me, I'm charming and oh so unassuming".
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Vanya wrote:Image

ew
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

MitchO wrote:Saw this sign in my town. By the time I got there, all the Jackmans were sold out. However, all the Grants were still sitting on the tables, saying "Purchase me, I'm charming and oh so unassuming".
Was that your Bonneville parked in the driveway?
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Magna wrote:
MitchO wrote:Saw this sign in my town. By the time I got there, all the Jackmans were sold out. However, all the Grants were still sitting on the tables, saying "Purchase me, I'm charming and oh so unassuming".
With a woman named Laurie in the front seat?
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

OK, so how many of you are bothered by the title of this movie?

https://vimeo.com/138895519
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Vanya wrote:OK, so how many of you are bothered by the title of this movie?
I have no problem when Greek and Latin are mixed (heck, I came up with the term "anthematology" which does just that against the advice of my friend who is extremely knowledgeable in dead languages). I do have a problem when Latin and English are mixed.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

From a pamphlet on online courses at my local community college (it was written by a committee of instructors and deans):

Definition: Student-Instructor Interaction.
Mutually coherent exchanges between a student and instructor. Interaction consists of "loops" that begin from the student's perspective, i.e., interaction occurs when a communication sent by a student receives a response from the instructor. Interaction can involve use asynchronous or synchronous tools.

In other words, a conversation.

And "communication" does not "receive" anything.

ETA: and then I found this gem(a MOOC is a Massive Open Online Course):

MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Magna wrote:
My turn to not get the reference, I'm afraid ...
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MitchO wrote:
Magna wrote:
My turn to not get the reference, I'm afraid ...
See Bonneville, Hugh.
OCSam
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

dhkendall wrote:
I have no problem when Greek and Latin are mixed (heck, I came up with the term "anthematology" which does just that against the advice of my friend who is extremely knowledgeable in dead languages). I do have a problem when Latin and English are mixed.
I don't get this on several levels. First, about half of English is Latin in origin, so how could you possibly avoid mixing the two? You just used "mixed", "term", "advice", "extremely" and "languages" together with a bunch of "English" words above. Second, "anthem" is a word of Greek origin, so there is no mixing in your neologism. OK, it got into English through Latin, but then the English word is so removed from its Latin and Greek prototypes that, if anything, you were mixing English and Greek. Now I realize you didn't explicitly said you had a problem with mixing English and Greek, but...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

gnash wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
I don't get this on several levels. First, about half of English is Latin in origin, so how could you possibly avoid mixing the two? You just used "mixed", "term", "advice", "extremely" and "languages" together with a bunch of "English" words above. Second, "anthem" is a word of Greek origin, so there is no mixing in your neologism. OK, it got into English through Latin, but then the English word is so removed from its Latin and Greek prototypes that, if anything, you were mixing English and Greek. Now I realize you didn't explicitly said you had a problem with mixing English and Greek, but...
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." --James Nicoll
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I'm at a Scout Camp this weekend (which is why I haven't commented on Fridays game yet) and saw this shirt there (issued by Scouts Canada), I'm not sure what they think "circa" means but I don't think it means what they think it means. (Maybe they're looking for "Estd", as 1907 (yes, there's a 1 under the glasses) is the year Lord Baden Powell started Scouting)
Attachments
Circa 1907
Circa 1907
image.jpeg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 5680 times
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

dhkendall wrote:I'm at a Scout Camp this weekend (which is why I haven't commented on Fridays game yet) and saw this shirt there (issued by Scouts Canada), I'm not sure what they think "circa" means but I don't think it means what they think it means. (Maybe they're looking for "Estd", as 1907 (yes, there's a 1 under the glasses) is the year Lord Baden Powell started Scouting)
I think the shirt is from 1907...and in such good condition!

They sure don't make quality shirts like that anymore.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

To clarify in advance, I am citing a specific example here to make a general complaint.

In response to a news article that showed up in my Facebook feed today, I was about to post something about the non-irony of Robert E. Lee fans chanting "Russia is our friend", considering that a descendant of Lee's was a notorious Cold War-era spy for the Russians. In pursuit of precision, though, I wished first to find out what exactly Duncan Chaplin Lee was in relation to Robert E., and became increasingly uncomfortable as site after cite employed the same vague term "descendant". Finally I found one that made the weaker claim of "collateral descent", which means descent from somebody's sibling. In other words, as close to a descendant as possible without actually being a descendant. On further research, I learned that Duncan's great grandfather, Edmund Jennings Lee II, was a first cousin of Robert E. Lee, the two sharing Henry Lee II as grandfather (George Washington's aide Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee III was Robert's father). Two more Edmund Jenningses intervened between Robert Edward's cousin and Duncan Chaplin.

The spy/traitor Duncan Chaplin Lee, therefore, was a first cousin three times removed from the Confederate general Robert E. Lee. A relative, yes, or a clansman, if you prefer. But not a descendant.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

People have forgotten what the symbol "$" stands for. I've even seen the dollar sign followed by a number and the word "dollars" in a story in the New York Times.

One example from around here: An ad for a prominent personal-injury law firm features one of the founder's sons boasting that the firm has recovered "$1 BILLION DOLLARS" in judgments and settlements. And this ad has been running for months.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Blue Lion wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 12:18 am People have forgotten what the symbol "$" stands for. I've even seen the dollar sign followed by a number and the word "dollars" in a story in the New York Times.

One example from around here: An ad for a prominent personal-injury law firm features one of the founder's sons boasting that the firm has recovered "$1 BILLION DOLLARS" in judgments and settlements. And this ad has been running for months.
I've also frequently seen the "cents" symbol misused in connection with decimalized prices. If something costs a dime, it's either $.10 or 10¢. But many people write .10¢. If it's in an advertisement, that could prove expensive for the seller.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Don't really know if it's an "intellectual" peeve or not, but I saw another example of a TV shortcut last evening that sets my teeth on edge every time it happens.

I really get annoyed when a TV show or movie wants to establish that it's early morning by showing a sunrise, usually in time-lapse accelerated motion. But, instead of getting up early, they simply film a sunset and run it backward.

If they want to go to Australia or Chile to film a sunset, then run it backward to simulate a northern hemisphere sunrise, I'm OK with it. But they must really think we (a) have never seen a sunrise, or (b) are simply too stupid to notice.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Wed May 17, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Magna wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 2:49 pm
Blue Lion wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 12:18 am People have forgotten what the symbol "$" stands for. I've even seen the dollar sign followed by a number and the word "dollars" in a story in the New York Times.

I've also frequently seen the "cents" symbol misused in connection with decimalized prices. If something costs a dime, it's either $.10 or 10¢. But many people write .10¢. If it's in an advertisement, that could prove expensive for the seller.
Verizon confuses dollars and cents in an internet classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MShv_74FNWU
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 9:04 pm Verizon confuses dollars and cents in an internet classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MShv_74FNWU
Ouch. That hurt my brain.