Pet Intellectual Peeves

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

Post Reply
User avatar
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions
Posts: 759
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by georgespelvin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:44 pm

Because we need this thread back too.

"Reretaken" is not a word.

Tenderfoot
Just Starting Out on JBoard
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:45 pm

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Tenderfoot » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:50 pm

Define "word."

EugeneF
Valued Contributor
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by EugeneF » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:37 am

georgespelvin wrote:Because we need this thread back too.

"Reretaken" is not a word.
No, but it is a name.

User avatar
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 457
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: mired in the bureaucracy

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by earendel » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:46 pm

It's a word in that it consists of letters and can be understood.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Tenderfoot
Just Starting Out on JBoard
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:45 pm

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Tenderfoot » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:42 pm


User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8225
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by dhkendall » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:25 pm

On yesterday's news after they show market/currency/commodity numbers and many say "closed", the news anchor says, as an aside, "many of the markets were closed today because it was July 4 in the United States."

Well, according to my calendar it was July 4 here too! And in Iran! And China! And the People's Republic of Bugundistan! (OK, I made that last one up). It was "[the] Independence Day [holiday]" in the States ... :evil:
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting
Posts: 702
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by MDaunt » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:01 pm

The word "peeve" annoys me. As a noun, it's almost always the worst choice and as a verb, it's intolerable.

User avatar
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1101
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:44 pm
Location: Provo, UT
Contact:

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by barandall800 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:18 pm

MDaunt wrote:The word "peeve" annoys me. As a noun, it's almost always the worst choice and as a verb, it's intolerable.
Don't forget its ghastly adjective cousin, "peeved."

User avatar
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting
Posts: 702
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by MDaunt » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:03 pm

barandall800 wrote:
MDaunt wrote:The word "peeve" annoys me. As a noun, it's almost always the worst choice and as a verb, it's intolerable.
Don't forget its ghastly adjective cousin, "peeved."
Peeved, peevish, peeve, peever, peevee.

The sound of it is like fingernails on a blackboard.

User avatar
--Pete
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:55 pm
Location: Kent, Washington, USA

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by --Pete » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:36 pm

Hi,
Tenderfoot wrote: More on "not a word"
Is it either an established part of the language, or does it convey a new meaning? Possibly attached to an item or technology that did not exist before? Or to a sensation, a feeling, an experience that is new?

Because, otherwise, it's just a noise.

--Pete
"We are looking over our new domicile,
If we like, we stay for maybe quite a while."

Samer
Valued Contributor
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:51 am

One other thread to revive: Intellectual pet peeves

Post by Samer » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:32 am

This was too good a thread not to "resurrect."

In any case, I'll start with one that I see far too frequently (thankfully not in mainstream media):

It's I could have been a contender, not I could OF been a contender. :evil:

User avatar
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1101
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:44 pm
Location: Provo, UT
Contact:

Re: One other thread to revive: Intellectual pet peeves

Post by barandall800 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:41 am

Alas, it has already been revived (but not with enough oomph, I guess, since it's stuck on page 2):

http://www.jboard.tv/jboard/phpBB3/view ... p?f=1&t=12

User avatar
--Pete
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:55 pm
Location: Kent, Washington, USA

Re: One other thread to revive: Intellectual pet peeves

Post by --Pete » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:29 am

Hi,
Samer wrote: In any case, I'll start with one that I see far too frequently (thankfully not in mainstream media):

It's I could have been a contender, not I could OF been a contender. :evil:
Not too sure what you're getting at, but the actual quote is "I coulda been a contender." (from On the Waterfront IIRC).

"I got it off of ..." grates on my ear but seems to have become common usage.

--Pete
"We are looking over our new domicile,
If we like, we stay for maybe quite a while."

Samer
Valued Contributor
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:51 am

Re: One other thread to revive: Intellectual pet peeves

Post by Samer » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:56 am

--Pete wrote:Hi,
Samer wrote: In any case, I'll start with one that I see far too frequently (thankfully not in mainstream media):

It's I could have been a contender, not I could OF been a contender. :evil:
Not too sure what you're getting at, but the actual quote is "I coulda been a contender." (from On the Waterfront IIRC).

"I got it off of ..." grates on my ear but seems to have become common usage.

--Pete
I'm griping about people writing "could of" instead of "could have/could've."

User avatar
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 988
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:16 am

Re: One other thread to revive: Intellectual pet peeves

Post by gamawire » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:41 pm

My two are "it's broke" instead of "it's broken" and the fairly new annoying habit of using "myself" when the proper word would be "me" or "I," like "Jackie and myself went to the store." I hate both of these!!
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8225
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: One other thread to revive: Intellectual pet peeves

Post by dhkendall » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:45 pm

barandall800 wrote:Alas, it has already been revived (but not with enough oomph, I guess, since it's stuck on page 2):

http://www.jboard.tv/jboard/phpBB3/view ... p?f=1&t=12
All the more reason to vote "yes" on proposition 1, err I mean alietr's poll. (A segmented topics board would mean less chance of a thread going to an untimely death on page 2)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
debramc
Iced Mare Grub
Posts: 725
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:24 am
Location: Princeton, TX

Re: One other thread to revive: Intellectual pet peeves

Post by debramc » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:43 am

People who confuse its/it's or there/their/they're or your/you're, etc. I'm sympathetic with not being able to spell big unusual words, or dyslexia, but for words you probably use multiple times a day, if you know the meaning of what you're saying, can't you match the right word to it??

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5063
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: One other thread to revive: Intellectual pet peeves

Post by Volante » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:55 am

debramc wrote:People who confuse its/it's or there/their/they're or your/you're, etc. I'm sympathetic with not being able to spell big unusual words, or dyslexia, but for words you probably use multiple times a day, if you know the meaning of what you're saying, can't you match the right word to it??
It makes me loose my mind!

(Seriously, I've seen that flub so often I can't help but think people are doing it intentional now.)

User avatar
debramc
Iced Mare Grub
Posts: 725
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:24 am
Location: Princeton, TX

Re: One other thread to revive: Intellectual pet peeves

Post by debramc » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:07 pm

Volante wrote:
debramc wrote:People who confuse its/it's or there/their/they're or your/you're, etc. I'm sympathetic with not being able to spell big unusual words, or dyslexia, but for words you probably use multiple times a day, if you know the meaning of what you're saying, can't you match the right word to it??
It makes me loose my mind!

(Seriously, I've seen that flub so often I can't help but think people are doing it intentional now.)
Aaarghhh! Yes that one bothers me to. ;)

User avatar
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 527
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:56 pm
Location: Maine

Re: One other thread to revive: Intellectual pet peeves

Post by billiej » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:28 pm

debramc wrote:
Volante wrote:
debramc wrote:People who confuse its/it's or there/their/they're or your/you're, etc. I'm sympathetic with not being able to spell big unusual words, or dyslexia, but for words you probably use multiple times a day, if you know the meaning of what you're saying, can't you match the right word to it??
It makes me loose my mind!

(Seriously, I've seen that flub so often I can't help but think people are doing it intentional now.)
Aaarghhh! Yes that one bothers me to. ;)
I think your just being nitpicky.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jlgarfield, RichmondJ and 21 guests