Pet Intellectual Peeves

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

User avatar
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy
Posts: 2887
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Magna » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:43 am

OldSchoolChamp wrote:Actually, one of my peeves is editors who always reflexively shorten whether or not to just one word. The longer form is not always wrong; it means “no matter whether.” I could check the weather forecast to see whether to take my umbrella with me tomorrow, but I think I’ll just play it safe and bring it anyway, whether there’s rain in the forecast or not.
The lyrics to "Something Good" from The Sound of Music provide a good illustration:
. . . somewhere in my wicked, miserable past
There must have been a moment of truth
For here you are, standing there, loving me
Whether or not you should

User avatar
El Jefe
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:26 am

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by El Jefe » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:14 am

seaborgium wrote:
bomtr wrote:ahn-chi-la-da is doubly good.
I think Johnny Gilbert announced my regular-game defeater Enrique with the same first syllable.
Johnny Gilbert? Heck, he thinks some guy named Alex /TREE-beck/ hosts...

User avatar
bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5427
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by bpmod » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:20 am

El Jefe wrote:Johnny Gilbert? Heck, he thinks some guy named Alex /TREE-beck/ hosts...
I have never heard him pronounce it that way.

You'd think that Alex Trebek would have enough clout to ensure that his name be pronounced correctly by the announcer.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Vanya
The support is non-zero
Posts: 2727
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Vanya » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:44 pm

Image

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 4786
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by seaborgium » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:15 am

Bad grammar aside, I'm perturbed by the writing on the pocket, combining Greek and Roman scripts. And I don't think "agapo" is a word.

User avatar
El Jefe
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:26 am

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by El Jefe » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:35 am

bpmod wrote:
El Jefe wrote:Johnny Gilbert? Heck, he thinks some guy named Alex /TREE-beck/ hosts...
I have never heard him pronounce it that way.

You'd think that Alex Trebek would have enough clout to ensure that his name be pronounced correctly by the announcer.

Brian
You also might think that being the most powerful person in the White House (2000-2008) would guarantee people pronounced your name the way you and your family do. Alas...

Jeffrey

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2564
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by davey » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:07 am

El Jefe wrote:
bpmod wrote:
El Jefe wrote:Johnny Gilbert? Heck, he thinks some guy named Alex /TREE-beck/ hosts...
I have never heard him pronounce it that way.

You'd think that Alex Trebek would have enough clout to ensure that his name be pronounced correctly by the announcer.

Brian
You also might think that being the most powerful person in the White House (2000-2008) would guarantee people pronounced your name the way you and your family do. Alas...

Jeffrey
Unless you and your family don't agree either...
http://www.dailykos.com/tv/w/001368/
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/cheney-sworn-in/

User avatar
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1352
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:24 am

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by gnash » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:56 am

seaborgium wrote:Bad grammar aside, I'm perturbed by the writing on the pocket, combining Greek and Roman scripts. And I don't think "agapo" is a word.
I think it is some ignorant person trying to incorporate "alpha and omega" in it, to make the message "God = love". Inconveniently, however, eta ≠ omega.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 4786
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by seaborgium » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:10 pm

But, there is a "gap" of 22 letters between alpha and omega, so maybe it makes sense after all!

User avatar
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1352
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:24 am

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by gnash » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:39 pm

seaborgium wrote:But, there is a "gap" of 22 letters between alpha and omega, so maybe it makes sense after all!
Good one! Maybe the word really signifies the God of the gaps!

Vanya
The support is non-zero
Posts: 2727
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Vanya » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:06 pm

Google image search reveals the girl on the swing is often used for these types of posts, but there is nothing written on her pocket. I didn't notice it at first.

User avatar
bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5427
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by bpmod » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:06 am

Theweathernetwork.com for my area

Sunday (November 2): Headline "November 1st is going to be messy and snowy."
Monday: Present temperature 14; Headline "Double digit temperatures on the way."
Currently: Local forecast overcast with no precipitation. Headline "It's snowing everywhere." (Extra funny in light of the 12 degree current temperature.)

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Vanya
The support is non-zero
Posts: 2727
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Vanya » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:47 am

bpmod wrote:Theweathernetwork.com for my area

Sunday (November 2): Headline "November 1st is going to be messy and snowy."
Monday: Present temperature 14; Headline "Double digit temperatures on the way."
Currently: Local forecast overcast with no precipitation. Headline "It's snowing everywhere." (Extra funny in light of the 12 degree current temperature.)

Brian
I blame global warming.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8493
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by dhkendall » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:58 pm

bpmod wrote:Theweathernetwork.com for my area

Sunday (November 2): Headline "November 1st is going to be messy and snowy."
Monday: Present temperature 14; Headline "Double digit temperatures on the way."
Currently: Local forecast overcast with no precipitation. Headline "It's snowing everywhere." (Extra funny in light of the 12 degree current temperature.)

Brian
They obviously didn't set their clock back. ;) (Actually I think "set it too much back" works better)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5341
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by alietr » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:44 am

Image

Vanya
The support is non-zero
Posts: 2727
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Vanya » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:45 pm

Maybe they should make English the official language of the Washington Times first.

Image

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5341
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by alietr » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Vanya wrote:Maybe they should make English the official language of the Washington Times first.
Well, when you're run by Koreans ...

User avatar
Lampy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:46 pm

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Lampy » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:37 pm

I heard "mute point" today, but really "moot point" doesn't mean what most people think it means anyway so I don't know how I am supposed to feel.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 7079
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by econgator » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:46 pm

Lampy wrote:I heard "mute point" today, but really "moot point" doesn't mean what most people think it means anyway so I don't know how I am supposed to feel.
It does beg the question, doesn't it?

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4147
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by jeff6286 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:20 pm

alietr wrote:
Vanya wrote:Maybe they should make English the official language of the Washington Times first.
Well, when you're run by Koreans ...
Be honest, boss, did your heart skip a few beats when you saw that that was Vanya's post and all of his open tabs were visible?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Bob78164, dapedDep, econgator, Google [Bot], Jeff-thecdboy, rjaguar3, vdaq and 20 guests