Pet Intellectual Peeves

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5341
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by alietr » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:23 am

Image

User avatar
MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:19 am

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by MitchO » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:11 am

Image

Saw this sign in my town. By the time I got there, all the Jackmans were sold out. However, all the Grants were still sitting on the tables, saying "Purchase me, I'm charming and oh so unassuming".

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1827
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by John Boy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:57 am

Vanya wrote:Image

ew

User avatar
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy
Posts: 2887
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Magna » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:59 pm

MitchO wrote:Saw this sign in my town. By the time I got there, all the Jackmans were sold out. However, all the Grants were still sitting on the tables, saying "Purchase me, I'm charming and oh so unassuming".
Was that your Bonneville parked in the driveway?

Vanya
The support is non-zero
Posts: 2727
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Vanya » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:12 pm

Magna wrote:
MitchO wrote:Saw this sign in my town. By the time I got there, all the Jackmans were sold out. However, all the Grants were still sitting on the tables, saying "Purchase me, I'm charming and oh so unassuming".
Was that your Bonneville parked in the driveway?
With a woman named Laurie in the front seat?

Vanya
The support is non-zero
Posts: 2727
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Vanya » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:43 pm

OK, so how many of you are bothered by the title of this movie?

phpBB [video]

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8493
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by dhkendall » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:37 am

Vanya wrote:OK, so how many of you are bothered by the title of this movie?
I have no problem when Greek and Latin are mixed (heck, I came up with the term "anthematology" which does just that against the advice of my friend who is extremely knowledgeable in dead languages). I do have a problem when Latin and English are mixed.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Vanya
The support is non-zero
Posts: 2727
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Vanya » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:27 pm

From a pamphlet on online courses at my local community college (it was written by a committee of instructors and deans):

Definition: Student-Instructor Interaction.
Mutually coherent exchanges between a student and instructor. Interaction consists of "loops" that begin from the student's perspective, i.e., interaction occurs when a communication sent by a student receives a response from the instructor. Interaction can involve use asynchronous or synchronous tools.

In other words, a conversation.

And "communication" does not "receive" anything.

ETA: and then I found this gem(a MOOC is a Massive Open Online Course):

Image

User avatar
MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:19 am

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by MitchO » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:33 am

Magna wrote:
MitchO wrote:Saw this sign in my town. By the time I got there, all the Jackmans were sold out. However, all the Grants were still sitting on the tables, saying "Purchase me, I'm charming and oh so unassuming".
Was that your Bonneville parked in the driveway?
My turn to not get the reference, I'm afraid ...

User avatar
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)
Posts: 1887
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by OrangeSAM » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:15 am

MitchO wrote:
Magna wrote:
MitchO wrote:Saw this sign in my town. By the time I got there, all the Jackmans were sold out. However, all the Grants were still sitting on the tables, saying "Purchase me, I'm charming and oh so unassuming".
Was that your Bonneville parked in the driveway?
My turn to not get the reference, I'm afraid ...
See Bonneville, Hugh.
OCSam

User avatar
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1352
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:24 am

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by gnash » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:28 am

dhkendall wrote:
Vanya wrote:OK, so how many of you are bothered by the title of this movie?
I have no problem when Greek and Latin are mixed (heck, I came up with the term "anthematology" which does just that against the advice of my friend who is extremely knowledgeable in dead languages). I do have a problem when Latin and English are mixed.
I don't get this on several levels. First, about half of English is Latin in origin, so how could you possibly avoid mixing the two? You just used "mixed", "term", "advice", "extremely" and "languages" together with a bunch of "English" words above. Second, "anthem" is a word of Greek origin, so there is no mixing in your neologism. OK, it got into English through Latin, but then the English word is so removed from its Latin and Greek prototypes that, if anything, you were mixing English and Greek. Now I realize you didn't explicitly said you had a problem with mixing English and Greek, but...

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5310
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Volante » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:05 pm

gnash wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Vanya wrote:OK, so how many of you are bothered by the title of this movie?
I have no problem when Greek and Latin are mixed (heck, I came up with the term "anthematology" which does just that against the advice of my friend who is extremely knowledgeable in dead languages). I do have a problem when Latin and English are mixed.
I don't get this on several levels. First, about half of English is Latin in origin, so how could you possibly avoid mixing the two? You just used "mixed", "term", "advice", "extremely" and "languages" together with a bunch of "English" words above. Second, "anthem" is a word of Greek origin, so there is no mixing in your neologism. OK, it got into English through Latin, but then the English word is so removed from its Latin and Greek prototypes that, if anything, you were mixing English and Greek. Now I realize you didn't explicitly said you had a problem with mixing English and Greek, but...
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." --James Nicoll

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8493
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by dhkendall » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:27 pm

I'm at a Scout Camp this weekend (which is why I haven't commented on Fridays game yet) and saw this shirt there (issued by Scouts Canada), I'm not sure what they think "circa" means but I don't think it means what they think it means. (Maybe they're looking for "Estd", as 1907 (yes, there's a 1 under the glasses) is the year Lord Baden Powell started Scouting)
Attachments
image.jpeg
Circa 1907
image.jpeg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 1313 times
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
triviawayne
On the Diving Board, Ready to Jump In
Posts: 926
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by triviawayne » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:03 pm

dhkendall wrote:I'm at a Scout Camp this weekend (which is why I haven't commented on Fridays game yet) and saw this shirt there (issued by Scouts Canada), I'm not sure what they think "circa" means but I don't think it means what they think it means. (Maybe they're looking for "Estd", as 1907 (yes, there's a 1 under the glasses) is the year Lord Baden Powell started Scouting)
I think the shirt is from 1907...and in such good condition!

They sure don't make quality shirts like that anymore.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 434
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Lefty » Mon May 15, 2017 12:07 am

To clarify in advance, I am citing a specific example here to make a general complaint.

In response to a news article that showed up in my Facebook feed today, I was about to post something about the non-irony of Robert E. Lee fans chanting "Russia is our friend", considering that a descendant of Lee's was a notorious Cold War-era spy for the Russians. In pursuit of precision, though, I wished first to find out what exactly Duncan Chaplin Lee was in relation to Robert E., and became increasingly uncomfortable as site after cite employed the same vague term "descendant". Finally I found one that made the weaker claim of "collateral descent", which means descent from somebody's sibling. In other words, as close to a descendant as possible without actually being a descendant. On further research, I learned that Duncan's great grandfather, Edmund Jennings Lee II, was a first cousin of Robert E. Lee, the two sharing Henry Lee II as grandfather (George Washington's aide Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee III was Robert's father). Two more Edmund Jenningses intervened between Robert Edward's cousin and Duncan Chaplin.

The spy/traitor Duncan Chaplin Lee, therefore, was a first cousin three times removed from the Confederate general Robert E. Lee. A relative, yes, or a clansman, if you prefer. But not a descendant.
I'm smart and I want respect.

User avatar
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1209
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Canton, Michigan
Contact:

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Blue Lion » Mon May 15, 2017 12:18 am

People have forgotten what the symbol "$" stands for. I've even seen the dollar sign followed by a number and the word "dollars" in a story in the New York Times.

One example from around here: An ad for a prominent personal-injury law firm features one of the founder's sons boasting that the firm has recovered "$1 BILLION DOLLARS" in judgments and settlements. And this ad has been running for months.

User avatar
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy
Posts: 2887
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Magna » Tue May 16, 2017 2:49 pm

Blue Lion wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 12:18 am
People have forgotten what the symbol "$" stands for. I've even seen the dollar sign followed by a number and the word "dollars" in a story in the New York Times.

One example from around here: An ad for a prominent personal-injury law firm features one of the founder's sons boasting that the firm has recovered "$1 BILLION DOLLARS" in judgments and settlements. And this ad has been running for months.
I've also frequently seen the "cents" symbol misused in connection with decimalized prices. If something costs a dime, it's either $.10 or 10¢. But many people write .10¢. If it's in an advertisement, that could prove expensive for the seller.

User avatar
AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 357
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:48 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by AFRET CMS » Tue May 16, 2017 7:13 pm

Don't really know if it's an "intellectual" peeve or not, but I saw another example of a TV shortcut last evening that sets my teeth on edge every time it happens.

I really get annoyed when a TV show or movie wants to establish that it's early morning by showing a sunrise, usually in time-lapse accelerated motion. But, instead of getting up early, they simply film a sunset and run it backward.

If they want to go to Australia or Chile to film a sunset, then run it backward to simulate a northern hemisphere sunrise, I'm OK with it. But they must really think we (a) have never seen a sunrise, or (b) are simply too stupid to notice.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Wed May 17, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

MattKnowles
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by MattKnowles » Tue May 16, 2017 9:04 pm

Magna wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 2:49 pm
Blue Lion wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 12:18 am
People have forgotten what the symbol "$" stands for. I've even seen the dollar sign followed by a number and the word "dollars" in a story in the New York Times.

One example from around here: An ad for a prominent personal-injury law firm features one of the founder's sons boasting that the firm has recovered "$1 BILLION DOLLARS" in judgments and settlements. And this ad has been running for months.
I've also frequently seen the "cents" symbol misused in connection with decimalized prices. If something costs a dime, it's either $.10 or 10¢. But many people write .10¢. If it's in an advertisement, that could prove expensive for the seller.
Verizon confuses dollars and cents in an internet classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MShv_74FNWU
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

User avatar
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy
Posts: 2887
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Magna » Wed May 17, 2017 1:57 pm

MattKnowles wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 9:04 pm
Verizon confuses dollars and cents in an internet classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MShv_74FNWU
Ouch. That hurt my brain.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bamaman, Bing [Bot], Budphrey, Ironhorse, Leander, MarkBarrett, Peter the accountant, Plactus, sarisson, Steve McClellan and 18 guests