Pet Intellectual Peeves

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 3472
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by This Is Kirk! » Wed May 17, 2017 2:20 pm

Blue Lion wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 12:18 am
People have forgotten what the symbol "$" stands for. I've even seen the dollar sign followed by a number and the word "dollars" in a story in the New York Times.

One example from around here: An ad for a prominent personal-injury law firm features one of the founder's sons boasting that the firm has recovered "$1 BILLION DOLLARS" in judgments and settlements. And this ad has been running for months.
This is only tangentially related, but it bugs me when you see something written like this: "A dime is worth ten (10) cents." Is this intended for people who are incapable of reading numbers that are spelled out? :D

User avatar
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1180
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Canton, Michigan
Contact:

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Blue Lion » Wed May 17, 2017 9:48 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 2:20 pm
This is only tangentially related, but it bugs me when you see something written like this: "A dime is worth ten (10) cents." Is this intended for people who are incapable of reading numbers that are spelled out? :D
This is common practice in legal documents, though I don't see how expressing the amount in both numbers and words makes things any clearer. Then again, attorneys insist on putting the most useless word in the English language, "hereby", in documents. (Full disclosure: I'm a member of the Bar.)

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8335
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by dhkendall » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:42 pm

OK maybe not an intellectual peeve per se, but a Jeopardy! fan peeve:

[Using a completely made up clue example]

Regular people would say things like: "You know, on Jeopardy!, when their final question last night was "who was the author of Les Miserables"? ... " when of course we know the questions are never phrased in such a way and the clue was really something like "this author of Les Miserables was pictured on the 500 franc note in the 1960s". Just *bugs* me when I see people all of a sudden forgetting the "answer is the question" format that Jeopardy! is famous for!

Rant off.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 278
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:53 pm

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Wheatley » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:22 pm

Songs & poems where they rhyme "again" with "rain" or "pain," but they pronounce "again" in the way that doesn''t rhyme
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

User avatar
acthomas
Valued Contributor
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:29 pm
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Contact:

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by acthomas » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:00 am

Wheatley wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:22 pm
Songs & poems where they rhyme "again" with "rain" or "pain," but they pronounce "again" in the way that doesn''t rhyme
Something tells me there's a special place in your heart (one way or the other) for The Who's "I Can't Explain" where they do it both ways, but lined up so that the rhyme works.

https://youtu.be/h3h--K5928M?t=31s

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8335
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by dhkendall » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:53 pm

From a discussion thread today. Speaker is speaking out against a younger-generation friendly change and is in his 60s:

"Baby boomers are the fastest growing generation today!"

Uhh, no they aren't. No generation, save the one containing people being born right now (what is the one after millennial, Generation Z?) is growing. (He may mean "senior citizens", many of whom are baby boomers, which are indeed the fastest growing age group afaik, but no generation, save the current one, is "growing". So for all you millennial haters, rejoice. There's gradually fewer and fewer of them.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:31 pm

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by cmp146 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:06 pm

dhkendall wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:53 pm
From a discussion thread today. Speaker is speaking out against a younger-generation friendly change and is in his 60s:

"Baby boomers are the fastest growing generation today!"

Uhh, no they aren't. No generation, save the one containing people being born right now (what is the one after millennial, Generation Z?) is growing. (He may mean "senior citizens", many of whom are baby boomers, which are indeed the fastest growing age group afaik, but no generation, save the current one, is "growing". So for all you millennial haters, rejoice. There's gradually fewer and fewer of them.)
Perhaps he meant growing by weight? Obesity is highest in the baby boomers according to this website: https://stateofobesity.org/obesity-by-age/ :-)

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 5186
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by opusthepenguin » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:51 pm

People who think half rhymes are somehow illegitimate rather than an accepted and well-used effect in English poetry for centuries.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5157
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Volante » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:09 am

opusthepenguin wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:51 pm
People who think half rhymes are somehow illegitimate rather than an accepted and well-used effect in English poetry for centuries.
As long as it's still okay to hate on "free verse" poetry. There's already a word for that: PROSE.

User avatar
flutist319
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:21 am

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by flutist319 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:40 pm

Mine is when people take a simple fact of language and use it to attribute ideas or motivations to people. Like if someone is complaining about a certain subset of RPGs called "story games", and says something along the lines of "They call them 'story games' because the STORY part is so much more important to them than the GAME part."

No, dude, "story" comes first because in English noun-noun compounds, the head goes to the right. A story game is a type of game, just like a coffee mug is a type of mug and a water bed is a type of bed. A "game story" would mean something totally different in English -- it would be a type of story. So, in a way, this complaint is 180º from the truth.
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 2:20 pm
This is only tangentially related, but it bugs me when you see something written like this: "A dime is worth ten (10) cents." Is this intended for people who are incapable of reading numbers that are spelled out? :D
Relatedly: style guides that tell you to write out single-digit numbers as words, and represent all larger numbers as numbers. Then you get newspaper articles with sentences like "Smith has two children, aged seven and 12, at the school," which I think looks really ugly.

User avatar
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1105
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:44 pm
Location: Provo, UT
Contact:

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by barandall800 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:49 pm

Volante wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:09 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:51 pm
People who think half rhymes are somehow illegitimate rather than an accepted and well-used effect in English poetry for centuries.
As long as it's still okay to hate on "free verse" poetry. There's already a word for that: PROSE.
As a poet who works almost exclusively in free verse (if I start writing something that rhymes, I make it a song), BOO, I say. :P

User avatar
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 278
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:53 pm

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Wheatley » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:00 pm

dhkendall wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:53 pm
From a discussion thread today. Speaker is speaking out against a younger-generation friendly change and is in his 60s:

"Baby boomers are the fastest growing generation today!"

Uhh, no they aren't. No generation, save the one containing people being born right now (what is the one after millennial, Generation Z?) is growing. (He may mean "senior citizens", many of whom are baby boomers, which are indeed the fastest growing age group afaik, but no generation, save the current one, is "growing". So for all you millennial haters, rejoice. There's gradually fewer and fewer of them.)
Don't you know that the younger generation is KILLING diamonds, fabric softener, bar soap, napkins, Buffalo Wild Wings, cereal(negligent homicide), and the housing industry?
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Kenny
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:37 am

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Kenny » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:25 pm

Wheatley wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:00 pm
dhkendall wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:53 pm
From a discussion thread today. Speaker is speaking out against a younger-generation friendly change and is in his 60s:

"Baby boomers are the fastest growing generation today!"

Uhh, no they aren't. No generation, save the one containing people being born right now (what is the one after millennial, Generation Z?) is growing. (He may mean "senior citizens", many of whom are baby boomers, which are indeed the fastest growing age group afaik, but no generation, save the current one, is "growing". So for all you millennial haters, rejoice. There's gradually fewer and fewer of them.)
Don't you know that the younger generation is KILLING diamonds, fabric softener, bar soap, napkins, Buffalo Wild Wings, cereal(negligent homicide), and the housing industry?
+ CD's. But they're reviving vinyl records, for some reason. Wish I hadn't thrown out all my Beatles (Apple), Who, Led Zep & Stones albums back in the 80s.

Kenny
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:37 am

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Kenny » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:26 pm

People who say "begs the question" when they mean "prompts the question."
Last edited by Kenny on Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenny
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:37 am

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Kenny » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:26 pm

Wheatley wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:00 pm
Don't you know that the younger generation is KILLING diamonds, fabric softener, bar soap, napkins, Buffalo Wild Wings, cereal(negligent homicide), and the housing industry?
+ CD's. But they're reviving vinyl records, for some reason. Wish I hadn't thrown out all my Beatles (Apple), Who, Led Zep & Stones albums back in the 80s.

User avatar
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy
Posts: 2871
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Magna » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:38 pm

Kenny wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:26 pm
People who say "begs the question" when they mean "prompts the question."
Hear, hear!

User avatar
acthomas
Valued Contributor
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:29 pm
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Contact:

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by acthomas » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:57 pm

People who give a time abbreviation as standard time when we're in daylight hours.

Like, "the MLB trade deadline is July 31, 4:00 PM EST".

When it's not! These things matter (less than I think) but it's still obnoxious especially when you're in another time zone.

User avatar
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)
Posts: 1877
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by OrangeSAM » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:49 pm

Seconded.
OCSam

1stlvlthinker
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by 1stlvlthinker » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:55 pm

acthomas wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:57 pm
People who give a time abbreviation as standard time when we're in daylight hours.

Like, "the MLB trade deadline is July 31, 4:00 PM EST".

When it's not! These things matter (less than I think) but it's still obnoxious especially when you're in another time zone.
Also can be an issue if you live in a place that doesn't use daylight saving time.
Won some of Ben Stein's money. None of Alex Trebek's

User avatar
acthomas
Valued Contributor
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:29 pm
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Contact:

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by acthomas » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:00 am

One somewhat guaranteed to get debate going:

If you are referring to a person in need of guidance from an older teacher figure, the word you are looking for is "protege". Or, if you want to be true to the roots, "telemachus", but that might come off a little elitist.

"Mentee" is an affront to language.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acthomas, alietr, Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], davey, Yahoo [Bot] and 37 guests