Wednesday, February 20, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dmleach
Damn Jeopardy! Hooligan

Re: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dmleach »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Since Dave said his time is done that means there wasn't a triple zero game in one of the other semifinals.
Geez, way to spoil the suspense, Dave! :)
I have no excuse for my antisocial behavior. :lol:

I was surprised that they continued to keep us sequestered after this game was over. I asked if I could move over to the other half of the audience and sit with my friends and family and was told, "Not yet." After the semifinals were completed all of us eliminated players went to lunch together at the commissary while the three finalists went back to the green room (I think) for lunch.

When we all returned for the finals our loved ones were put in the usual friends and family area across the aisle in the right side of the house. This was our first chance to see and talk to them all day, and we invited a few over into the contestant area so we could sit together. This drew a stern response from the security guard, even when we explained that all of us were done playing. She had to verify with Corina before our sequestering was officially over.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
alietr wrote:I got some good Lach Trash (Risky Business and a coupla others), but otherwise I was just stumbling around on these boards for some reason.
Same here. Kiel Canal is one I recall.
Yeah, Kiel was an easy one from Diplomacy.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

dmleach wrote:I have no excuse for my antisocial behavior.
One would think that being a hooligan would be excuse enough.
Frank Hardy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Frank Hardy »

I thought Brian was referring to "The Chipmunk Song."
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

:lol:
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

georgespelvin wrote:
pinkfreud wrote:"Fiery furnace" came easily to me. I've loved this song since I was a child.
:D
I first head of Rack, Shack, and Benny Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego on VeggieTales.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
georgespelvin wrote:
pinkfreud wrote:"Fiery furnace" came easily to me. I've loved this song since I was a child.
:D
Rack, Shack, and Benny
Shouldn't that be Bedny? Isn't he the guy that sang with the Jedts?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
PatMorrison
Contributor

Post by PatMorrison »

Congrats again to Dave on two very well-played games. I was rooting for you. Even among a group of really good people, you came across as especially nice.

I think the questioning of your DD wager is mostly hindsight. If the quote had been from "Judgment at Nuremberg" instead of everyone's TNT replay favorite, I doubt people would be as critical.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

alietr wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
alietr wrote:I got some good Lach Trash (Risky Business and a coupla others), but otherwise I was just stumbling around on these boards for some reason.
Same here. Kiel Canal is one I recall.
I can never keep the German pronunciation of ie and ei straight, and I can't remember how Kiel was pronounced last night. So, is it "Kyle" or "Keel"? And would both have been acceptable?
Swift'sSecondCourse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Swift'sSecondCourse »

mrparadise wrote:
alietr wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote: Same here. Kiel Canal is one I recall.
I can never keep the German pronunciation of ie and ei straight, and I can't remember how Kiel was pronounced last night. So, is it "Kyle" or "Keel"? And would both have been acceptable?
The rule for German is that in an ie/ei situation the second vowel is the one that gets pronounced. Thus Kiel is pronounced "keel". But I think both would have been ruled acceptable given that the judges are usually pretty lenient on wrong pronunciations provided that the word as written could be pronounced as spoken.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

falsifieddocuments wrote:Have they ever had to use an alternate for the semis? What would Alex say if that happened?
It happens on "Wipeout". Anderson and Henson usually make some lame joke about the other player not being able to go forward. Meanwhile, I figure the poor person is laid up in the hospital for a week or two.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Swift'sSecondCourse wrote:The rule for German is that in an ie/ei situation the second vowel is the one that gets pronounced. Thus Kiel is pronounced "keel". But I think both would have been ruled acceptable given that the judges are usually pretty lenient on wrong pronunciations provided that the word as written could be pronounced as spoken.
Now we know SSC is really Barbara Lowe :lol:
Reneebird
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Reneebird »

Hi! In the Britcoms category, I was glad to see a clue for Doc Martin. I love this British show! :D
Leander

Post by Leander »

For some reason, I intrepreted "German canal" to be asking for the German word for canal, which is kanal. Which I knew couldn't be what they were looking for, so I was lost.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
:?: :?: What country song did Dave Brubeck do??
Blue Rondo a la Turkey in the Straw.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

First, congrats to all three for nice performances, and second special congrats to Kristin for advancing.

Now, one thing that I can't believe no one else has said about this FJ:

I came up with Take Five almost instantly because it is a synonym for "Time Out," and because the date in the clue seemed about right for Brubek. Then I tried to figure out what else it could be, because surely it couldn't be Take Five, because, um, Take Five is not a freaking song, people, any more than Beethoven's Symphony #7 is a song.

What am I missing here? A song has lyrics, and AFAIK Take Five is purely instrumental. If the category name said "Classic Jazz Titles" or "...Numbers," then all is OK. But IMO the word "Song" in the category name was horribly missleading. PS I did leave my answer because nothing else made sense. But really, now!

I know one of the classical composers wrote a piece called "Song Without Words," but even the title acknowledges the inherent contradition.

Anyone else? Clarification? Agreement? Correction?
Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B »

Nicely played game on a board that I thought was well balanced enough to reward a top player. Dave seemed to be the one who relished the "game" aspects of J! (which makes sense) so his bet was surprising.

Picked up some decent trash (Egypt - though I've usually seen Mamelukes, Nuremburg, Risky Business) but left some behind that the players got (crepe, anaphylactic, mole.) Blew Shawshank, though I've seen it a bunch.

Another FJ that I found ez. Haven't had to think for 2 seconds on any of the first 6, which is odd. And will surely end now that I've said so.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

John Boy wrote:First, congrats to all three for nice performances, and second special congrats to Kristin for advancing.

Now, one thing that I can't believe no one else has said about this FJ:

I came up with Take Five almost instantly because it is a synonym for "Time Out," and because the date in the clue seemed about right for Brubek. Then I tried to figure out what else it could be, because surely it couldn't be Take Five, because, um, Take Five is not a freaking song, people, any more than Beethoven's Symphony #7 is a song.

What am I missing here? A song has lyrics, and AFAIK Take Five is purely instrumental. If the category name said "Classic Jazz Titles" or "...Numbers," then all is OK. But IMO the word "Song" in the category name was horribly missleading. PS I did leave my answer because nothing else made sense. But really, now!

I know one of the classical composers wrote a piece called "Song Without Words," but even the title acknowledges the inherent contradition.

Anyone else? Clarification? Agreement? Correction?
Yeah, I thought the same. If it is a song, you can "sing" it.

Seems like calling it "Jazz Compositions" would tell the players what was up without that problem.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

John Boy wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
:?: :?: What country song did Dave Brubeck do??
Blue Rondo a la Turkey in the Straw.
One of John Tesh's better pieces:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSKb5eWuy2Q
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

John Boy wrote:I came up with Take Five almost instantly because it is a synonym for "Time Out,"
This is the part that I found misleading. Aren't synonyms usually the same part of speech? I can't think of a sentence where you could substitute one for the other.