Friday, March 1, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Sage on the Hudson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Pork for the affluent: Boehner's snit zeal

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

Golf wrote:Didn't get to see most of the game because POTUS was on TV blaming everybody but himself for the current situation.
Maybe because that's where most of the blame rightly belongs. How many times do the Republicans have to bring the economy to the brink of ruin in pursuit of tax protection for the super-rich, how any people have to be thrown out of work or have their overtime cut, how many essential services must be curtailed before some people who aren't super-rich finally realize that they're being played for suckers?
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Friday, March 1, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by silverscreentest »

dhkendall wrote:It could have a case for unfair, but I answered Greenland immediately, thinking that St. Pierre might have been too obscure.
"What is Saint Pierre and Miquelon?" as the correct question would have been too obscure, but not "What is France?" IMO, it falls under my definition of negbait.
bpmod wrote:And while we're on the subject, why can't you take a picture of an arrogant jerk with a wooden leg?
Is this a meme now? Because I can imagine someone installing a camera in a wooden leg.
CyrusChan wrote:Also, please excuse my lack of knowledge, but for those who know, could they possibly share with me what was "installed" for these radios?
Here's the Wkipedia link for the People Meter that Nielson uses to measure television viewing. I imagine there was some predecessor device attached to radios.
TenPoundHammer wrote:That Odessa clue (Places in Texas for $200) has to be one of the most obscure $200s I've ever seen.
I'm with TP Hammer here, mostly for its placement as a $200 clue. I knew this one from reading the book and seeing the movie, but I think that's too obscure for $200. I thought the non-Texas reference should have been to the Ukrainian port.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

Political discussions do not belong on this board, IMO. Otherwise it becomes like the congress, each side blaming the other.

Back to game discussion; is Alex smitten by the mittens?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Paucle: How could you doubt the wager? It was a guarantee by now.
Not the wager, Mark: the get. I'm reading her face before Alex even shows us her reply. I got nuttin. (But as soon as they showed the reply, I knew she'd won.)
I hope she was nice enough to will have given wagering lessons in the green room when she will have finally been defeated. (Man, that past plufertational tense is tough.)
happybooker
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by happybooker »

I was lucky on the FJ. I went with Nielsen, but only because I couldn't pull out the name of the group that (I think) preceded Nielsen as the ratings master. It was this morning that I thought of Roper.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

flemmingfan wrote:Political discussions do not belong on this board, IMO. Otherwise it becomes like the congress, each side blaming the other.
Whoa whoa whoa don't curtail them. How can I make sure my watch is correct if they disappear?
flemmingfan wrote:Back to game discussion; is Alex smitten by the mittens?
Further Note! Return of the
Revenge of the Hot Fever Gene!
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

bpmod wrote:
I think it's time for most of us to add TPH to the ignore list. Before this gets out of hand again.

Brian
Who are you and what have you done with Brian? ;)
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

silverscreentest wrote:
CyrusChan wrote:Also, please excuse my lack of knowledge, but for those who know, could they possibly share with me what was "installed" for these radios?
Here's the Wkipedia link for the People Meter that Nielson uses to measure television viewing. I imagine there was some predecessor device attached to radios.

Thanks!
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

I was kind of wondering about that, so I got a map oout, and it seems that 1300 miles does contain a circle that touches the eastern coast of Greenland and the western coast of Denmark, so Greenland is 1300 miles at the minimum from Denmark.

It could have a case for unfair, but I answered Greenland immediately, thinking that St. Pierre might have been too obscure. (Although I plan to visit St. Pierre the next time we go to the east coast of Canada. My wife has been bugging me that she really wants to go to France someday, St. Pierre is an integral part of France, they use the Euro, your passport is stamped Republique Francaise, I think they even have those odd European plugs, so I'll take her there and count it!)

Citizens of St Pierre and Miquelon (St Pierreians and Miquelonians?) also vote in French national elections. I too have long wanted to visit, but it's not easy to get there (unless you're already in Newfoundland). I forget where in Canada you reside, but I'm thinking it may well be cheaper and easier for you and the wife to fly to Paris than St Pierre.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Cancer is a summer sign. That's how I remember it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Paucle wrote:
Paucle: How could you doubt the wager? It was a guarantee by now.
Not the wager, Mark: the get. I'm reading her face before Alex even shows us her reply. I got nuttin. (But as soon as they showed the reply, I knew she'd won.)
I hope she was nice enough to will have given wagering lessons in the green room when she will have finally been defeated. (Man, that past plufertational tense is tough.)
Ah, apologies. That makes sense.

Sara: Okemos is the same place Matt Ottinger was from when he played Ken Jennings. Did you ever play on Matt's QuizBusters show?
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

dhkendall wrote:St. Pierre is an integral part of France
No, it's not. French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Mayotte, and Reunion are, but SPM stopped being one in 1985.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

silverscreentest wrote: I'm with TP Hammer here, mostly for its placement as a $200 clue. I knew this one from reading the book and seeing the movie, but I think that's too obscure for $200. I thought the non-Texas reference should have been to the Ukrainian port.
I tend to agree, albeit I got it, I would've flipped this and Temple, TX
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

dhkendall wrote:
TryphonTournesol wrote:Oddly, like Craig, my mind defaulted to St. Pierre and Miquelon, which may just be a case of knowing too much for your own good; I don't really think of Greenland as being "right off Canada" in the way St. Pierre is. My quibble is with the clue as a whole, though. While 1300 miles is not nearly enough to be the distance between St. Pierre and France, and so ruling Craig wrong was certainly valid, it's also not nearly enough to be the distance between Greenland and Denmark proper. As far as I can tell it's the distance between Greenland and the Faroe Islands. The Faroe Islands ARE part of Denmark, of course, but like Greenland they're only a territory and like Greenland they have home rule. Even if the ultimate adjudication was correct, I think it was a bad clue and an unfortunate one to effectively decide the game.
I was kind of wondering about that, so I got a map oout, and it seems that 1300 miles does contain a circle that touches the eastern coast of Greenland and the western coast of Denmark, so Greenland is 1300 miles at the minimum from Denmark.
Yep, I confirmed this as well. 1300 miles is indeed the (approximate) distance from Greenland to Denmark proper. From SPM to Guadeloupe is about 2100 miles and to mainland France is closer to 2300.

We can argue with it being a poorly-written or misleading clue, but it was at least accurate.
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

bpmod wrote:Here is the Greenland clue, just in case anybody was wondering about the wording:

Brian
I like it even less now. "Even though it's 1,300 miles away" from what? Canada? The territory? Extremely vague. And while "just off" is obviously subjective, the only place where Greenland is even remotely as close to Canada as St. Pierre is is way up in the far north of Ellesmere Island, a place absolutely nobody lives. None of this makes the answer wrong, but it's just a terrible clue that indicates to me that the writer(s) had no idea that St. Pierre was a thing when they wrote it. Otherwise I think they would have recognized that the clue was what we used to refer to as a "binary screw" in quiz bowl and included another piece of information that would have made Denmark the more obvious choice for someone who was familiar with both territories.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I read it during the game as being 1,300 miles from Canada. I really didn't know where Greenland is in relation to Canada (I looked it up and it is much closer than I thought), but I was unaware of those French islands and went with Denmark.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mrparadise wrote:I was kind of wondering about that, so I got a map oout,
You're from Canada, eh? :D
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

opusthepenguin wrote:
mrparadise wrote:I was kind of wondering about that, so I got a map oout,
You're from Canada, eh? :D
And I thought he was mocking Canadians. David in particular.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TryphonTournesol wrote:
bpmod wrote:Here is the Greenland clue, just in case anybody was wondering about the wording:

Brian
I had the same thought as you when seeing Brian's image of the clue. I had no problems understanding what they were asking when I saw the clue on the show, but reading the wording now, I can easily see that some people may have been thrown by the "1,300 miles away" bit. I was possibly helped by the fact that Denmark was just an incorrect guess earlier in the category, so it immediately sprang to mind and I knew that they were most likely referring to Greenland's proximity to Canada. I can't say that I knew that France had territory near Canada, but I wasn't surprised to hear it, so it is probably something that was floating around in the back of my brain.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Add me to the list that thought of France due to St. Pierre and Miquelon. To me Greenland seems a little far away from Canada to be considered "off the coast of Canada," or however it was phrased.
Less than 100 miles from Canada's Ellesmere Island. In fact, there's an island, Hans Island, in the middle of the channel between Ellesmere and Greenland that's disputed between the two countries. There have been suggestions to divide the island between them, if that happened, Canada and Greenland / Denmark would actually share a land border!
Johnblue wrote:That had to have been one of the most bizarre stories the govt librarian could gave told. Admitting to bedwetting on national tv?
True, very odd, but a humorous story. And, except for the fire alarm part, it was something I remember all too well from my youth. (Didn't know the alarm machine was "state of the art", I didn't exactly come from a well-to-do family ..)
mrparadise wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I was kind of wondering about that, so I got a map oout, and it seems that 1300 miles does contain a circle that touches the eastern coast of Greenland and the western coast of Denmark, so Greenland is 1300 miles at the minimum from Denmark.

It could have a case for unfair, but I answered Greenland immediately, thinking that St. Pierre might have been too obscure. (Although I plan to visit St. Pierre the next time we go to the east coast of Canada. My wife has been bugging me that she really wants to go to France someday, St. Pierre is an integral part of France, they use the Euro, your passport is stamped Republique Francaise, I think they even have those odd European plugs, so I'll take her there and count it!)
Citizens of St Pierre and Miquelon (St Pierreians and Miquelonians?) also vote in French national elections. I too have long wanted to visit, but it's not easy to get there (unless you're already in Newfoundland). I forget where in Canada you reside, but I'm thinking it may well be cheaper and easier for you and the wife to fly to Paris than St Pierre.
Manitoba. Far away from the east coast (right in the middle of the country. In fact there's a sign, about 20 minutes east of my house, that denotes the longitudinal centre of Canada) But, I really want to see all 10 provinces of Canada. I've been as far west as BC, and as far east as Quebec. So, that leaves the Maritimes. My wife has a cousin that lives in Nova Scotia, so we're thinking of driving out to see him someday (I prefer road trips to flying everywhere), so hopefully I can cross off most of the rest on the way there, and take a side trip to Newfoundland to cross off the last one. And, as long as we're in Newfoundland, stop at St. Pierre.

That's the plan, anyways.
marpocky wrote:
dhkendall wrote:St. Pierre is an integral part of France
No, it's not. French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Mayotte, and Reunion are, but SPM stopped being one in 1985.
D'oh! I *know* the integral overseas departments of France too! (Mayotte is the newest, became one in 2011, I believe) You are right, apologies. The rest is right as far as I know, though.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012