Tuesday, March 5, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, March 5, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Golf »

Drew keeps going back to a category he obviously likes, finds a DD, and then bets $500? After that wagering travesty it was no wonder he was clueless about Bugsy Siegel and Vegas. Also sad that Dylan lives there and didn't know.

So I shouldn't be surprised when Ilene throws away a victory with a worthless FJ wager. At least Dylan guessed a novel having something to do with trains, it had a non-zero chance of being correct.

Pretty sad when all three contestants have zero game play sense. Lots of difference between book smarts and common sense. Wish we could have three new contestants tomorrow.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Classic Novels
In this novel the title character says, "It is a bad omen" after a guard does not hear a train & is crushed.

Spoiler
What is Anna Karenina? Dylan said Murder on the Orient Express.
Dylan Wint: $16,200-$7,400=$8,800
Ilene Morgan: $11,800+$3,000=$14,800
Drew Horwood: $8,500+$8,498=$16,998...now a 1-day champion with $16,998
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

Golf wrote:Drew keeps going back to a category he obviously likes, finds a DD, and then bets $500? After that wagering travesty it was no wonder he was clueless about Bugsy Siegel and Vegas. Also sad that Dylan lives there and didn't know.

So I shouldn't be surprised when Ilene throws away a victory with a worthless FJ wager. At least Dylan guessed a novel having something to do with trains, it had a non-zero chance of being correct.

Pretty sad when all three contestants have zero game play sense. Lots of difference between book smarts and common sense. Wish we could have three new contestants tomorrow.
Of course, now they bring out a literature FJ! :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Always love it when Alex spoils the prior day's FJ for those who haven't seen it yet.

I have no idea what that book is about, so I had no chance on FJ. Wrote down The Count of Monte Cristo just to have something.

I liked that lady until her FJ bet.
Leander

Post by Leander »

At least Dylan guessed a novel having something to do with trains, it had a non-zero chance of being correct.
Actually since the clue referred to a comment by the title character and trains don't talk, he had a zero chance of being correct.
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

Ilene's bet was weird, but I suppose a sort of calculated risk - she had presumably seen the triple stumper from the previous day and took a chance on winning that way (or on a sole get). Had Dylan gotten it right, it didn't really matter what Ilene did, so she probably figured that the difference between second and third if everyone had it was minimal, but if everyone missed it, she wanted to give herself a chance to hold on. Unfortunately for her, the end result was right in the middle of that. I wonder how often the third-place contestant going into FJ wins when they're not the only one with the right answer. Almost never, I imagine.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I got FJ. I was helped by knowing the title character's cause of death (which I didn't always know -- and I think I found out not from ever reading it, but from trivia questions!)

I had more negs than usual this game (2 in the J round, 4 in the DJ round). My most irritating neg of all: "Mambo" for "Mamba".
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I usually do well on animal categories, but I had never heard of either definition of "rook" in that clue (the bird or "to swindle"), and snakes appear to be a weak spot of mine. Then I, a big fan of the movie Rango, missed with gecko for chameleon. I guess I got "moves its eyes independently" and "licks its eyes" mixed up somehow.

I whiffed $400 in Starts with Clothing because I was trying to figure out how "outlet" had clothing in it; I can't say that I've ever called those things "socket"s in my life. I was also too slow on "pantomime", and was desperately trying to pull out "vestigial" but kept coming up with "superfluous" instead.

Not a guess on FJ!
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I whiffed $400 in Starts with Clothing because I was trying to figure out how "outlet" had clothing in it; I can't say that I've ever called those things "socket"s in my life.
I had exactly the same thought process. Luckily, I was able to get the remaining four in time after missing the $400 one.
Cortana431
Valued Contributor

Post by Cortana431 »

instaget FJ but i did read Anna Karenina
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

The board ate my lunch, but I got FJ from seeing the movie a couple months ago
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

Took me about 15 seconds to come up with the FJ answer. I wonder if I would have frozen up if I were standing in the studio with the music going while racking my brain.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

Both my dad and I thought FJ! was about an American novel. I tried to come up with what Stephen Crane's novel before The Red Badge of Courage was and ended up unable to come up with the title (first letter M?), while Dad figured it was a John Steinbeck novel they were talking about.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

I gave the same answer as Dylan until I reread the clue. Haven't read the book or seen the movie, so wasn't going to happen (thanks for spoiling it, everyone :o ),

I'm glad Dylan explained the story behind his name. That was driving me nuts.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

All I could think for FJ was The Bridge of San Luis Rey, even though I know it isn't the title character. :roll:
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Was thinking about Ethan Frome, hahahahah. Oh wait, that's not about a guard who couldn't hear the train approach prior to being hit. Oh snap, time's up.

Ran the Atlantic and you wager 500 on a DD in a category in which you choose it first?!?!?!
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

lisa0012 wrote:I gave the same answer as Dylan until I reread the clue. Haven't read the book or seen the movie, so wasn't going to happen (thanks for spoiling it, everyone :o ),

I'm glad Dylan explained the story behind his name. That was driving me nuts.
I was surprised that the same case wasn't applied for his last name(Wint).
jmenjes
Figment of Imagination

Post by jmenjes »

I am admittedly not much of a fan of his work, but I did manage to run the Stephen King category.

When I miss on 2 and pass on 2 $400 answers in DJ, I know I'm having an off night ($400 in Starts With Clothing got me as well; I blanked on that one).

Couldn't get FJ either; I also said Murder on the Orient Express just to come up with something.

Well, at least there's tomorrow night to rebound...
"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up anyway." -- Walt Disney