Friday, March 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6560, 2013-03-08

CONTESTANTS
Yellowlees Douglas, an associate professor of management communications from Gainesville, Florida
Mike Munley, a digital analyst from Kearny, New Jersey
Drew Horwood, a business analyst from Minneapolis, Minnesota (whose 3-day cash winnings total $36,199)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Last week on our program, we had a three-day champion, a lovely young lady who left us having won $77,000. This week, we have Drew, who has won $63,000 after just 3 days. But he's here to play again today. So, Mike and Yellowlees, welcome aboard. Good luck. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round. And here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PRO SPORTS TEAMS (5/5)
OUR STATE FAIR (4/5) (Alex: You have to tell us the state. We'll give you the city and the dates)
PINS & NEEDLES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WORDS WITH A DOUBLE L (4/5)
TORAH (5/5)
THE EXPLORER (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Yellowlees: 8 R, 0 W
Mike: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Drew: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Yellowlees: $3,800
Drew: $2,000
Mike: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Yellowlees Douglas is from Florida. I love your husky voice, but I want to ask you about your name--Yellowlees.

Yellowlees: It's an old Scottish name. Actually, it's a Norman name that came over with one of the knights of William the Conqueror. And it's been in the family for a thousand years, and they're not big breeders, so there's about five of us on the planet.

Alex: Okay. Good to know.

Yellowlees: It's a surname. It's not normally a first name.

Alex: All righty.

Alex: Mike Munley is a digital analyst from Kearny, New Jersey, who has done a little bit of musical theater and has the scars to show for it.

Mike: I have. We were rehearsing for a show back in college, and the entire cast was in a line during the rehearsal, and I said, "This will be a perfect opportunity for a cancan", so I did a fake kick. Unfortunately, there was a speaker right in front of me, kicked the thing right off the stage, lands on the new keyboard right beneath the stage. It was not good.

Alex: No one was injured, including you?

Mike: No, but the keyboardist was pretty ticked off.

Alex: I can imagine, but you got to stay in the show.

Mike: Yes.

Alex: All right, good.

Alex: Drew Horwood is our champion. He's earned a fair amount of money, as you heard at the beginning of our program, and he already knows where he wants to go to spend some of that money.

Drew: Yes, my dream vacation is to go to New Zealand to do The Lord of the Rings tour.

Alex: Lovely country, even without the tour.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mike found the Daily Double on the 17th clue. Drew had $2,000, Mike had $400, and Yellowlees was at $3,800. Mike wagered $1,000.

PINS & NEEDLES $400: To make a simple one of these, magnetize a needle, run it through a cork & place it in a bowl of water
(Mike: What is a clock?)
(Alex: The needle will float, and it will point north.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
OUR STATE FAIR $800: At Great Falls in late July- early August
(Mike: What is Idaho?)

WORDS WITH A DOUBLE L $800: A geographical feature, such as the one "of Ten Thousand Smokes" in a volcanic area of Alaska

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Drew: $5,200
Yellowlees: $4,600
Mike: $3,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, March 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CARIBEAN CAPITALS (5/5)
COMMON BONDS (2/5)
KIDDY LIT (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TOUGH TV (4/5)
BIOLOGY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NORM DE GUERRE (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mike: 9 R, 0 W
Drew: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Yellowlees: 7 R (including 1 DD), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Drew snagged the next Daily Double on the 19th clue. Drew had $12,000, Mike had $10,600, and Yellowlees was at $3,000. Drew wagered $2,000.

KIDDY LIT $1600: This heroine was named for the rampion, a leafy vegetable her father stole from the Witch's garden
(Alex: Yes, picked that one out of the air, didn't you? [*], [*], let down your hair!)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Yellowlees who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. Drew had $14,000, Mike had $10,600, and Yellowlees was at $5,400. Yellowlees wagered $2,000.

BIOLOGY $1200: In the human body the process of osmoregulatrion is primarilly carried out by these organs

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COMMON BONDS $1200: Wilkins Micawber,
Harold Skimpole,
Paul Sweedle-pipe
(Yellowlees: What are accountants?)
(Alex: That's funny, but they're all [*].)
(Yellowlees: Oh, Creyke!)
(Alex: Creyke indeed, but they do sound like accountants.)

COMMON BONDS $1600: Zanza,
koto,
helicon

TOUGH TV $800: This young woman's death in the first episode led to many strange events in the title town on "Twin Peaks"
(Alex: And her name was [*].)

COMMON BONDS $2000: Radar,
sagas,
a Toyota
(Alex: All three of those are [*], same comin' & goin'.)

BIOLOGY $1600: "Dorsal" means relating to the back, while this means relating to the underside
(Yellowlees: What is antral?)

NORM DE GUERRE $2000: TV producer & former B-17 gunner Norman Lear founded "People For" this patriotic concept
(Alex: People For [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Drew: $15,200
Mike: $11,800
Yellowlees: $10,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE OSCARS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Drew: Wager $8,401 to cover Mike.
Mike: You ought to wager to cover Yellowlees, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings with a wager of all $11,800. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $8,600 (to shut out Yellowlees) or less than $5,000 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Yellowlees). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Drew.
Yellowlees: Consider risking between $1,601 and $3,400. This will top a $0 wager by Mike while still beating Drew on the Triple Stumper (should Drew wager to cover Mike's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Brother & sister who were both nominated for 1969 Oscars: he for a screenplay, she for Best Actress; they didn't win

FINAL SCORES
Yellowlees: $10,200 - $7,000 = $3,200 (Who are Warren Beaty & Shirley) (2nd place: $2,000)
Mike: $11,800 - $8,601 = $3,199 (Who are the jiodine) (3rd place: $1,000)
Drew: $15,200 - $8,401 = $6,799 (Who nare the Coppolas?) (4-day champion: $42,998)
(Alex:[revealing Drew's response]
No, he was nominated for Easy Ridedr, she was nominated as an actress in "They Shoot Horses, Don't They." We're talking about [*].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Drew: $14,800, 16 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Mike: $12,800, 20 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Yellowlees: $9,400, 15 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $37,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Mike: 20/59 = .339
Drew: 16/59 = .271
Yellowlees: 15/59 = .254
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
OUR STATE FAIR $400: In Pueblo in late August- early September
(Drew: What is Arizona?)

THE EXPLORER $200: Brr! This Norwegian explorer's bust sits outside on Spitsbergen Island, from which he flew over the North Pole

THE EXPLORER $600: (Kelly gives the clue from the Galapagos Islands)

In 1952, soon after sailing from South America to Polynesia, this Norwegian found pottery shards on the Galapagos--signs of at least temporary pre-Spanish habitation here

THE EXPLORER $1000: (Kely delivers the clue by a map)

An historic journey around 1000 A.D. along the Labrador Coast to a place called Vinland may have been undertaken because of a tale this so-called lucky man had heard while in Greenland

WORDS WITH A DOUBLE L $200: A one followed by 9 zeros
(Mike: What is a trillion?)

CARIBEAN CAPITALS $800: (I'm Anderson Cooper.) The morning after a catastrophic earthquake rocked Haiti, I, as the first American journalist on the ground, broadcast the devastation of this capital

TOUGH TV $1600: This ABC late-night talk show got into trouble on its very first telecast when it offered its audience & its guests an open bar
(Yellowlees: What is the Jack Parr show?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
a compass
Montana
valley
Rapunzel
the kidneys
Charles Dickens characters
musical instruments
Laura Palmer
palindromes
ventral or abdominal
the American Way
Jane Fonda & Peter Fonda
Colorado
Roald Amundsen
Thor Heyerdahl
Leif Ericson
a billion
Port Au Prince
Jimmy Kimmel
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

The Oscars
Brother & sister who were both nominated for 1969 Oscars, he for a screenplay, she for Best Actress; they didn't win.

Spoiler
Who are Peter and Jane Fonda? Yellowlees said Warren Beatty and Shirley (going for MacLaine); Mike had gibberish, according to him, "The Iodines", according to Alex; Drew said the Coppolas.

Drew Horwood: $15,200-$8,401=$6,799...now a 4-day champion with $70.798
Mike Munley: $11,800-$8,601=$3,199
Yellowlees Douglas: $10,200-$7,000=$3,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

I suspect a fair number of people here will have been able to pull that FJ; I couldn't even manage to write something down, which is unusual. (But you do have to consider it was asking for two specifically related people, so it's not like I could have just written down any halfway plausible actor in that time frame.) Of course, once I heard the answer it was like "Oh, right." 3/5 on FJ this week, which, eh.

Drew keeps doing JUST enough to win, doesn't he?
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

I'm usually not one to jump into wagering strategy, and there isn't a whole lot of analysis here, but Yellowlees clearly overbet and it cost her. I guess I see why she did it but considering the possible scenarios her best bets were really to stay pat or go small. As for second place, he had two options (Stratton's Dilemma, I read the archive descriptioon about the scenario but I'll leave this for the experts to pick apart), and he picked the less optimal one. Consequently, Drew lucks out again.

For what it's worth, I found the boards pretty straightforward, and FJ! was an instaget, even though I had no idea what the nominations were for. Siblings + late 60s and nothing else was obvious.

Edit: In rewriting her name, I googled her, and she actually has an impressive resume. Too bad she didn't get another day to talk about it.
Last edited by lisa0012 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So Yellowlees bets just enough to finish one dollar ahead of second place's MSBIW score. Too bad she forgot about covering Drew. Ironically, her bet should have been $3,400, which is exactly the amount she left on the table on the DD.

On FJ, I racked my brain trying to think of Beatty's sister's name and was proud to come up with it. Too bad they were wrong.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

After Alex ruled all three of them wrong, and started talking about the projects that the brother and sister were nominated for, I started to feel good about myself, considering The Oscars is a notorious weak spot of mine. Jane Fonda! Yes! And ... *facepalm* dammit, *Peter* Fonda, not Henry!

Oh well, the fact that I came so close, and closer than the contestants, in a category I'm bad in, made up for it.

Also made me feel better about my Embarrassing Miss of the Season: Sports Teams $1000. *facepalm* ("Well, it's gotta be the Winnipeg Jets, but starts with Victory? "Winnipeg" means "muddy waters"! What else could it be?" (Regina and Victoria flitted through my head (and instantly dismissed) before time was up)). Also embarrassing because sports is another category I usually do poorly in, and actually got 3 of the remaining 4! (Clammed on $600).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Leander

Post by Leander »

Yellowlees could have a career impersonating Kathleen Turner.

All I could come up with for FJ were Beatty and MacLaine, and I was pretty sure that was wrong. Had no idea Peter Fonda had ever been nominated for screenwriting and didn't realize that Jane had been nominated before Klute.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Yellowlees...what a name.
TryphonTournesol

I was also psyched out because of Alex's "be careful," which I think actually meant that the players should be sure to write down two names, but which I thought hinted that the siblings might have different last names. Doubtful I would have come up with the Fondas anyway, considering I couldn't even come up with Beatty/MacLaine. My mind was just a total blank on this one, and movies are usually a specialty of mine (but I'm not as good before 1970 or so).
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I always complain about 'the usual 2nd place suicide wager', but really, 3rd place wagering is almost as bad...
ACW

Post by ACW »

Leander

Post by Leander »

Maybe Alex's be careful was a warning not to go with the more obvious Beatty/MacLaine .

Not necessarily a clue fail. The awards in April 1970 are for 1969 movies. It's confusing and one reason why they prefer to use terms like "41st Academy Awards" rather than the year.
Last edited by Leander on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emccullough
Valued Contributor

Post by emccullough »

I was so proud of myself for coming up with Beatty and MacLaine. For a minute.
TryphonTournesol

ACW wrote:Clue fail.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42nd_Academy_Awards
1970, not 69.
Fair gripe, I suppose, but Academy Awards are pretty commonly referred to by the year of movies which they are awarding (which in this case was indeed 1969). Certainly you would expect to hear something like "Midnight Cowboy was the Best Picture of 1969."
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

With four wins & $70,798, Drew moves into second place in the 2013-14 ToC standings! :D
Leander

Post by Leander »

I'd note that according to Google, Yellowlees is her middle name. Her first name is a very conventional Jane.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Leander wrote:Maybe Alex's be careful was a warning not to go with the more obvious Beatty/MacLaine .
I figure it was a warning to specify which family members. "The Fondas" is likely not an acceptable response.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

It is not a fair gripe, the Oscar year is frequently screwed up by those who are ignorant about the subject. As already proven by the fact a first-time poster on the Sony board has claimed an error on such. It can cause all sorts of issues in live trivia where the host doesn't know squat. But for those who have studied the topic, we all know that the 1972 Best Picture winner is The Godfather, and so on.

Sadly, there are reference materials out there that manage to screw it up as well.

Yellowlees went DD hunting and then only wagered 2k? Sheesh.

Personally, I went with Jane and Peter although I wasn't positive. (I learned the winners only) Had I been on the show, I would have been irate had I written that wench's name down only to find out it was not correct.
Last edited by Golf on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

4/5 on State Fair, clamming on Great Falls, MT.

Punk rock symbol = safety pin? Solicitor = practices law? Winnipeg begins with victory? Huh?

Common Bonds is a lousy category. On $1200 I was tempted to say "who are people with funny names?" And I was taking $2000 way too literally, trying to think what radar and a Toyota had in common, that their being palindromes completely escaped me. I imagine the same was true of the contestants — they focused on the objects, not the words proper.

Clammed on Holes since I've been meaning to read it ever since it came out. I loved Sachar's Wayside School series (which still holds up very well). Also, since I love more modern animal tales from Redwall to Silverwing to The Wainscott Weasel (really loved that one), I might find The Wind in the Willows to my liking.

Ventral was on the tip of my tongue, but I couldn't pull it out.

If they wanted Tough TV, then Tool Time had no business being even at $400, much less $2000. One of the easiest $2000s in recent memory IMO.

I wouldn't have gotten FJ! in a million years. Even if you'd said "Fonda", I'd have said, "Wait, there's more than one Fonda?"
Leander wrote:I'd note that according to Google, Yellowlees is her middle name. Her first name is a very conventional Jane.
If I had a doozy of a middle name like that, you bet I'm dropping the first name.