Matt Lauer Being Considered as Alex's Successor

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Frank Hardy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Matt Lauer Being Considered as Alex's Successor

Post by Frank Hardy »

Matt Lauer is allegedly being considered.

http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/03/15/Matt ... 363349701/
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Re: Matt Lauer Being Considered as Alex's Successor

Post by Linear Gnome »

Frank Hardy wrote:Matt Lauer is allegedly being considered.

http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/03/15/Matt ... 363349701/
Interesting. I could see Anderson Cooper doing it. I wonder if someone such as Ken Jennings or Brad Rutter would be considered.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Lame. I'd much rather see someone like Ken Jennings.
SpiffJumper227
Contributor

Post by SpiffJumper227 »

I really hope I make it on the show before Alex retires. I want to become part of the Americana that is Jeopardy with Alex Trebek. It just wouldn't be the same for me with Lauer or Cooper.

I do think Jennings or Rutter would be cool, though.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Beat me to it.

I don't see Lauer in the role. Just not the right fit. Anderson Cooper seems like a better option.

Jennings or Rutter would be cool. I'm also part of the Jeff Probst fan club, if they can get him off the island by then.

As they said, it's 3 years away, who knows where careers will be by then. It's all speculation at best. Any of them could have better offers, or we might have someone new on the radar.
davey

Post by davey »

This is an absurd story from an unreliable source...If Matt Lauer's Q score is fading - as I'm just learning, since the morning shows are seldom on my radar - as the Today hemorrhages viewers, why in the world would Jeopardy! want him? Ann Curry is more likely...
One of my favorite examples of crack show-business reporting from the NY Post: In 1993, they splashed it on their front page - David Letterman had announced in a staff meeting that his show would move to Los Angeles! 20 years, and t he moving vans still haven't shown up...
Last edited by davey on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patzer
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Patzer »

I wish they would consider Ben Bailey (of Cash Cab fame). Or Jennings. Pretty much anyone besides Lauer.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

It actually came up as a question during one of the breaks in my first episode, about who would replace Alex. No names were mentioned other than Jennings, but one of the producers ended up chiming in that he didn't think they'd ever pick Jennings because it would be inappropriate (my paraphrase, not his word) to have a former contestant as host.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jfrumkin wrote:it would be inappropriate (my paraphrase, not his word) to have a former contestant as host.
I agree. That would be like having former players commentate sporting events. :lol:
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
jfrumkin wrote:it would be inappropriate (my paraphrase, not his word) to have a former contestant as host.
I agree. That would be like having former players commentate sporting events. :lol:
I was going to disagree. But since you put it that way...

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
someday
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by someday »

It should be Glenn.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

jfrumkin wrote:It actually came up as a question during one of the breaks in my first episode, about who would replace Alex. No names were mentioned other than Jennings, but one of the producers ended up chiming in that he didn't think they'd ever pick Jennings because it would be inappropriate (my paraphrase, not his word) to have a former contestant as host.
Thank goodness for that.
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

Now I really want to get picked this go-round. Hard to imagine the show without Trebek at this point.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Matt, Matt, Matt. Too old, not funny, not hip, no charm, no semblance of erudition. At once too ingrained in show business and yet not show-bizzy enough.

Seriously, this is something they need to hold auditions for, not just name an heir apparent and tell fans, "Get used to the idea."
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

jfrumkin wrote:It actually came up as a question during one of the breaks in my first episode, about who would replace Alex. No names were mentioned other than Jennings, but one of the producers ended up chiming in that he didn't think they'd ever pick Jennings because it would be inappropriate (my paraphrase, not his word) to have a former contestant as host.
Was the producer Rocky Schmidt? :D
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Robert K S wrote:
Was the producer Rocky Schmidt? :D
That would make sense.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

While I was taping there was an audience question about when Alex was going to retire. His response indicated he didn't plan to anytime soon, so it's news to me that he's stepping down in 2016.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

I would not like Matt Lauer or Anderson Cooper to be host.

I think Todd Alan Crain (who hosted the practice matches involving Watson) might be a good choice.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

This Is Kirk! wrote:While I was taping there was an audience question about when Alex was going to retire. His response indicated he didn't plan to anytime soon, so it's news to me that he's stepping down in 2016.
I don't think anybody has (officially) said he is stepping down in 2016. But the fact that he has renewed his contract until then (and no further) makes some people speculate.

Brian

jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

DWS wrote:
I think Todd Alan Crain (who hosted the practice matches involving Watson) might be a good choice.
YES!!!!!!!!

But, I agree -- go through an audition process and pick the best person. (I just happen to think that TAC has a good shot at being that person [at least of the ones that I am familiar with or have seen mentioned before]).
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago