Monday, March 18, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 18, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:30 am

Placeholder for J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:30 am

Placeholder for DJ! Round

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Monday, March 18, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:02 pm

FJ was an instaget, but then, I recently did some research into the song for a book I was asked to contribute to about national anthems. (Well, it's not really a "book" and more like a rather large pamphlet that serves as liner notes for a huge 10-disc CD set of all the national anthems of the world that will be coming out in a few months that I was honoured to be asked to contribute the information for. Really looking forward to its launch)

Judges: COMPOUND WORDS $600: Could "storehouse" be used for "stockpile"? I see no reason why it can't ...

Something tells me that the $400 in "Country Women of Song" (or however it was worded) was overvalued (Patsy Cline's "I Fall To ___"? Really?) But then, that was the only one I got. TPH, was the $200 really even easier than that (keep in mind to a non-expert in country music)?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:35 pm

Just lovely betting by the challengers today. The third place guy goes big in a close game, even though his only hope was that it was a TS. But maybe he knew the lady in the middle was going to bet small, so he needed to make his crazy wager.

Instaget FJ here. I missed he entire first category they played after the interviews due to breaking news about a tornado watch.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:28 pm

Yes, I ran Women of Country. (I don't know what's more surprising: that they used a song as obscure as "The Bumper of My SUV", or that Miranda Lambert continues to be a TS.) I guess with "Love Can Build a Bridge" at $200, they figured people would know it from Cher's cover in 1995. Still, I would've put Patsy Cline at $200, not the Judds.

Seriously, WNEM. We're already getting wall-to-wall NCAA these next two weeks; do you really need to pre-empt J! and Wheel for more sports coverage with your own news team?!

Pan Am for $200: "Rest & recreation"? I thought it was "rest & relaxation".

Pan Am for $1000: Anyone else surprised by the lack of BMS on "Roosevelt"?

Bar for $600: "You can't stop the girl." (I bet no one will get that reference.)

Oddly, Dakar was my only get in Capitals. I have NHO Eritrea, Mogadishu slipped out of my head even though I just heard about it on Saturday, and I had absolutely no clue on $400 and $800. Dakar I remember because of some Carmen Sandiego-esque game (or maybe it was WITWICS?) on an old computer I bought 15 years ago. I must've spent a good 15 minutes globe-hopping before I found Dakar.

That FJ! was easy.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm

Instaget FJ. I thought for sure we'd have a new champ after such an easy FJ, but...f*** it, not worth the time.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:35 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Pan Am for $200: "Rest & recreation"? I thought it was "rest & relaxation".
Either/or
Pan Am for $1000: Anyone else surprised by the lack of BMS on "Roosevelt"?
A little, although TR was dead long before Pan Am came into existence.
That FJ! was easy.
Very

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:42 pm

dhkendall wrote:Judges: COMPOUND WORDS $600: Could "storehouse" be used for "stockpile"? I see no reason why it can't ...
They were asking for a large pile of goods (or however they worded it), and the act of accumulating of them. I'm not the best judge, but I've personally never seen the word 'storehouse' used as a verb...

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:45 pm

I avoided the Empire State Building negbait at $400 in Skyscrapers.

I know the Chrysler Building and the Empire State Building are pretty close to the same time. But "Art Deco" makes me think a little more of the Chrysler Building (although, to be fair, names of art styles or architectural styles can sometimes have a bit of wiggle room).

Furthermore, I've gotten the feeling over the years that the writers just really seem to like the Chrysler Building! (Same with the Snake River, which came up last week.)

In DJ, I was overly conservative on the first clue in Dirty Words. I thought of "smog", but the early 20th century date threw me off. For some reason, I thought that word would have been coined later.

$400 was my only get in Women of Country. Seemed like a $200 clue to me as well.

I know Dakar because of the Paris-Dakar race, and because the word resembles "Dhaka", another world capital not especially nearby.

I couldn't quite come up with Eritrea in time. I thought, "The one that's not Djibouti, or Somalia or Ethiopia. The other one around there."

I got FJ without previously knowing it. I just thought, "Hmm, they probably want a song about a president that doesn't contain the word 'president' in the title."

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:47 pm

Stratosphere was an instaget for this former Las Vegas resident.

I enjoyed quasi-related pairs, though I missed haul and oats.

The easy FJ is leader's best friend. At least Joshua doesn't need to kick himself over his non-Proust answer--getting FJ wrong, he was never going to win. (Unless he would have gotten it right if he hadn't been flustered because of missing his DD. My head hurts.)

The string of games with all of the boards completed ended at 10.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:52 pm

Great, intuitive betting from the lady in the middle.

Strange game. Everyone was off. Guy at the end gives the book and not the author on Proust. Some weird TSs. Just odd.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:05 pm

Linear Gnome wrote:The easy FJ is leader's best friend.
... if you know it's going to be an easy one ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:07 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:That FJ! was easy.
I agree, but did you actually write the answer down?! :D

I wonder if they would have accepted pianoforte instead of keyboard...but then a pianoforte might be a more specific instrument than the generic keyboard. Just sprung to mind.

StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:34 pm

FJ was an assist. I thought of Yankee Doodle after my mom said the answer, but remembered that it was written before 1811 and was intended as a slight against American culture.
dhkendall wrote:Judges: COMPOUND WORDS $600: Could "storehouse" be used for "stockpile"? I see no reason why it can't ...
How do you "storehouse" something?

teapot37

Post by teapot37 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:36 pm

I can never sing that song without thinking of the movie Dave. "Hail to the chief, he's the one we all say 'hail' to..."
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:48 pm

I remember a Top 10 list from Letterman shortly after Dubya's second term began. Something about Top 10 things Bush plans to do in his second term. One of them was "Hire Ray Stevens to write new lyrics for 'Hail to the Chief'."
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:55 pm

teapot37 wrote:I can never sing that song without thinking of the movie Dave. "Hail to the chief, he's the one we all say 'hail' to..."
Yes. Definitely among my favourites. So cleverly done.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:01 pm

Actually, my first thought when I saw 1811 was some connection to the Star Spangled Banner but fortunately got off that path quickly.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:19 pm

By the way, did anyone else do what I did in the "Edicts" category?

I've heard the expression "The Edict of Nantes". It popped into my head as soon as I saw the category. But I know absolutely NOTHING about it, beyond "probably something that happened a long time ago".

Nevertheless, I kind of expected it to come up as a correct response. When we made it all the way to the bottom of the category without it coming up, when the last clue mentioned a date in the late 1500s, I was like, "Sure, let's go for it. What is the Edict of Nantes?"

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:46 pm

skullturf wrote:By the way, did anyone else do what I did in the "Edicts" category?

I've heard the expression "The Edict of Nantes". It popped into my head as soon as I saw the category. But I know absolutely NOTHING about it, beyond "probably something that happened a long time ago".

Nevertheless, I kind of expected it to come up as a correct response. When we made it all the way to the bottom of the category without it coming up, when the last clue mentioned a date in the late 1500s, I was like, "Sure, let's go for it. What is the Edict of Nantes?"
Yup. When this happens often enough you learn to trust your instincts in Jeopardy! and Double Jeopardy! and don't leave Final Jeopardy! blank.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.