Wednesday, March 20, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6568, 2013-03-20

CONTESTANTS
Jeff Weber, an online book sales director from Ridgewood, New Jersey
Jonathan Shulman, a high school history teacher from San Diego, California
Lauren Girard, a museum guest relations manager from Los Angeles, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $24,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to our show. These are still difficult economic times, so I'm very happy to see that Jeopardy! champions are earning as much money as they have been on recent programs. Case in point, Lauren, our champion, over $24,000. I'm sure Jonathan and Jeff would like to earn even more than that in this half-hour. Let's see how it works out. Good luck to all three of you. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round. And these categories now in play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CLASSIC ADS & JINGLES (3/5)
FROM PAGE TO SCREEN (4/5)
PRESIDENTIAL DEBATERS (5/5)
"BOTTOM" (4/5)
OF THE NINTH (4/5)
BASES LOADED (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jeff: 10 R, 1 W
Lauren: 10 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Jonathan: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lauren found the Daily Double on the 11th clue. Lauren had $1,600, Jonathan had $200, and Jeff was at $3,400. Lauren made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,600.

BASES LOADED $1000: Naval Forces Marianas is a combination of 2 bases on this island

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jeff: $3,400
Lauren: $3,200
Jonathan: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. Jeff Weber is from New Jersey, and this young man has met two of our presidents. But he was most taken aback by another celebrity he met. And that was...?

Jeff: Absolutely. "The Scooter", Phil Rizzuto.

Alex: Really?

Jeff: I could not talk for a good five minutes after meeting him, yeah.

Alex: Why Phil Rizzuto?

Jeff: Just, he was a hero to me. I'd listen to the Yankee games whenever he was doing them all while I was growing up. And just seeing him in person was...

Alex: Yeah, you're far too young to have seen him when he was a player.

Jeff: This is true.

Alex: Yeah. Okay.

Alex: Jonathan Shulman is a high-school history teacher who is also a single dad to a daughter who loves what... ballet?

Jonathan: Ballet, tap dancing, and Hello Kitty.

Alex: What is Hello Kitty?

Jonathan: I-I don't really understand. Something that came out of Japan that apparently has caught on with the young set.

Alex: Really?

Jonathan: Mm-hmm.

Alex: Okay, so, I shouldn't feel bad that I don't know what it is?

Jonathan: Well, you are Alex Trebek, so...

Alex: I should know?

Jonathan: You probably should know.

Alex: Oh, okay.

[Laughter]

Alex: That is known as contestant putting down host. And good for you.

Alex: Lauren Girard is a museum guest-relations manager. Where? What museum?

Lauren: I am, at the tar pits, actually--the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles.

Alex: Do you know, I've lived in Los Angeles now for over 30 years, and I have never been to the tar pits?

Lauren: Are you serious?

Alex: What's special about it, except for this big, black goo in the middle of a field?

Lauren: Well, we have over 3 million fossil specimens that we've collected from the big, black goo over the last hundred years. And some of them are enormous. And some of them are very tiny. And it's actually pretty amazing.

Alex: Terrific.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CLASSIC ADS & JINGLES $600: "Fly the Friendly Skies"
(Lauren: What is Delta?)

FROM PAGE TO SCREEN $1000: The women in this 2012 film read Steve Harvey's relationship advice book, also the basis for the film
(Lauren: What is Act Like a Woman, [*]?)
(Jeff: What is Act Like a Man, Think Like a Woman?)

"BOTTOM" $1000: A hole in Mammoth Cave has this name despite being only 105 feet deep

CLASSIC ADS & JINGLES $1000: "I Can't Believe I Ate the Whole Thing"
(Alex: And that was part of an ad for [*]. Lauren, one category left, and one minute to do it in.)

OF THE NINTH $1000: Entering legend & the movies, the ninth of these units is said to have disappeared in Britain in 117 A.D.

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Lauren: $5,400
Jeff: $4,200
Jonathan: $1,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TRAITORS & TURNCOATS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BOOK SERIES (4/5)
POP "STAR"s (5/5)
RELATIONSHIP ISSUES (4/5)
MARINE MAMMALS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
PREFIX IN COMMON (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lauren: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Jeff: 10 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Jonathan: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lauren snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Lauren had $6,200, Jonathan had $2,200, and Jeff was at $4,200. Lauren wagered $2,000.

TRAITORS & TURNCOATS $1200: Marshal Petain became a traitor to France when he collaborated with Hitler & formed a new government named for this city

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jeff who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. Lauren had $10,600, Jonathan had $7,800, and Jeff was at $11,800. Jeff wagered $2,000.

MARINE MAMMALS $1600: The so-called earless types of these pinnipeds do have ears but no flaps covering the openings
(Jeff: What are... uh... penguins?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BOOK SERIES $400: Cooper's "Leatherstocking Tales" included 3 "P" titles: "The Pathfinder", "The Prairie" & these brave folks

MARINE MAMMALS $1200: Its scientific name, Odobenus rosmarus, means "tooth-walking sea-horse"
(Jonathan: What is a manatee?)

PREFIX IN COMMON $2000: Meaning "beyond" or "change":
-analysis,
-physical,
-stasis

RELATIONSHIP ISSUES $2000: "Find God's Match for You" is the slogan of this online dating site with more than 5 million members
(Jeff: What is eHarmony?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Lauren: $16,600
Jeff: $10,200
Jonathan: $8,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEANA

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Lauren: Wager $3,801 to cover Jeff.
Jeff: You have the hope of surpassing Lauren if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $6,401 to force Lauren to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Jonathan.
Jonathan: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $8,198 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the 16th century the ancestors of the current president of France fled what is now this country

FINAL SCORES
Jonathan: $8,200 - $8,198 = $2 (What is Spain?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jeff: $10,200 - $10,000 = $200 (What is Czech Republic?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Lauren: $16,600 + $10,000 = $26,600 (What is the Netherlands?) (2-day champion: $51,000)
(Alex: If you knew that the current president of France is François Hollande, you'd have been helped immensely in coming up with the correct response here.)
(Alex: [revealing Lauren's response] Yes, it's thought that maybe his family changed the name to Hollande to reflect where they came from.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Lauren: $15,200, 18 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Jeff: $12,200, 20 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Jonathan: $8,200, 12 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $35,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Jeff: 20/59 = .339
Lauren: 19/60 = .317
Jonathan: 12/58 = .207
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
PRESIDENTIAL DEBATERS $400: Patriotism, or lack thereof, was on the docket in their Sept. 25, 1988 dustup at Wake Forest
(Alex: Which George Bush?)

PRESIDENTIAL DEBATERS $800: 66.9 million tuned in to these 3 men at Michigan State University on Oct. 19, 1992
(Alex: Which Bush?)

POP "STAR"s $1200: This Pittsburgh Pirate was the MVP of the 1979 World Series

MARINE MAMMALS $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew observes a whale at Baja California in Mexico.) Gray whales create heart-shaped spouts as they exhale because they have two of these vents instead of one liked toothed whales

RELATIONSHIP ISSUES $800: California is this type of property state, so all property acquired during a marriage is equally shared
(Jeff: What is common law?)

PREFIX IN COMMON $1200: Meaning "across":
-alpine,
-verse,
(Alex: Good, with less than a minute to go.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Guam
United
Think Like a Man
the Bottomless Pit
Alka-Seltzer
the Ninth Legion
Vichy
seals
The Pioneers
the walrus
meta-
ChristianMingle
the Netherlands
George Bush, Sr. & Michael Dukakis
Bush the First, Clinton & Perot
Willie Stargell
a blowhole
community
trans-
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Europeana
In the 16th century the ancestors of the current President of France fled what is now this country.

Spoiler
What is the Netherlands? Jonathan said Spain; Jeff said the Czech Republic
Lauren Girard: $16,600+$10,000=$26,600...now a 2-day champion with $51,000
Jeff Weber: $10,200-$10,000=$200
Jonathan Shulman: $8,200-$8,198=$2
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

Really easy FJ if you know who the current president of France is. Jeff was clearly thinking of Sarkozy; Jonathan clearly had no idea whatsoever.

I think that $2000 clue on Book Series needs to be thrown into the weekly poll.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

"What is Hello Kitty?" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

TryphonTournesol wrote:Really easy FJ if you know who the current president of France is. Jeff was clearly thinking of Sarkozy; Jonathan clearly had no idea whatsoever.

I was in the same general vicinity as Jeff, though I said Hungary instead of the correct answer.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Francois Hollande -> Holland -> netherlands -> why was that a single get. This is shaping up to be a week where a lot of people check that 5/5 box in the weekend poll. Since the gods demand that i be denied 8/8 at every opportunity (and since the baseball gods demand that I be punished), one of the bonus questions will probably be Stargell. Got as far as Willie Starg----g---gggg-----, then my brain froze. BAH.

I actually laughed out loud at the two BMSes on Bush 41.
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

Willie "Pops" Stargell (from the "We Are Family" year of 1979). :P
Was thinking more about the flight of the Huguenots from around that time period (faint idea of who the current French president is).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

No clue who the current president of France is, so I just guessed Germany.
Cortana431
Valued Contributor

Post by Cortana431 »

Instaget FJ....of course if you know the president of france (hollande=holland)

Is the president of france not that common knowledge? I was surprised by the FJ just because France is a popular country and with travel and everything. im surprised the other 2 contestants didnt know who the president is (or they just didnt make the connection)
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

I couldn't remember either, but if I got The Call (or was even swimming in the pool) I would memorize the names of every major world leader. Not knowing the president of France as a viewer and educated American made me mad, but if I were a contestant it would be inexcusable.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Nice to know Lauren works at the La Brea Tar Pits. I went there on the Sunday morning before my taping.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had Sarkozy and went with Poland.

I am officially precalling TPH saying he had no idea on FJ and left it blank, even when a wild guess has a chance of being right. (But he did get the otter clue right).

Back talking Alex doomed the guy in the middle.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Fun game and am enjoying Lauren a lot.

Amusing to see how many times Alex had to press the contestants on which Bush they were referencing.

Final Jeopardy... really? Only Lauren got it? Thought it was a gimmee because of his last name (Hollande) but maybe that's just me. As always in "Jeopardy!", your mileage may vary.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Miscellaneous observations about today's game:

I take some solace from the fact that my one neg in the first round was identical with a neg by the champ. (Delta instead of United.)

There were two clues that I thought were wonderful examples of being "gettable" without being "known". The Ramadan clue, and the porpoise clue.

If you had asked me before the show, "Where does Ramadan fall in the Islamic calendar: what number month is it?" I would have had no idea. And if you had asked me "What, specifically, does Ramadan celebrate?" I wouldn't have been able to tell you. However, the clue in the game was essentially saying: Name an especially meaningful or significant month in the Islamic calendar.

Similarly, with the porpoise clue, I didn't recognize the technical term for those types of mammals and can't recall it now. (Did it start with "ceta"?) And I've never known anything about the tooth shapes of dolphins or porpoises, and I can't swear I would have been able to tell you whether dolphins or porpoises are smaller. But since the clue was asking for something similar to a dolphin, what else could it be?

The fact about walruses taking their name from something that means "walking on their teeth" is something that I've seen come up in trivia before, maybe even on Jeopardy!, but I couldn't come up with it until Alex started explaining.

When "meta" was a triple stumper, I said, "These people haven't taken philosophy courses / read Douglas Hofstadter / read XKCD."

This was a good board for me, with 3 wordplay categories ("Bottom", "Star", "Prefix in Common"). I swept each of those.

My thought process for FJ: "I'm pretty sure Sarkozy is a Hungarian last name. But is Sarkozy still in charge there? I think it's Francois Hollande now. And his last name has a *very* obvious connection to one country in particular."

So I wrote down "What is The Netherlands?" fairly quickly. I did have some nagging doubts, knowing that France has both a president and a prime minister. ("The clue said 'president'. What if Hollande is actually the PM and Sarkozy is the president?") But I stayed with The Netherlands. It just felt like there was a good chance I had identified the right "trick".
Leander

Post by Leander »

That was an instaget for me since I read the first book. So was FJ, but I was wondering if there was a catch, since it seemed so straightforward (to someone who knew Hollande's name). I did have a moment of doubt over whether he was PM or President.

I wonder if Holland would have been accepted in FJ?

I really like the champ too and was glad she pulled this one out.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

So we now know they will accept "Bush the First" and "Bush Sr.' George HW. Interesting.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

The FJ, in other words, asked "Do you know absolutely anything that's going on in the world right now?" to which two contestants answered "Nope!"

Don't know why - and we see this with the Canada questions all the time - but recent contestants are absolutely abysmal at the international stuff.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

billy pilgrim wrote:So we now know they will accept "Bush the First" and "Bush Sr.' George HW. Interesting.
Presumably they would also accept "The first one", "The old one", "The smart one", "The Dana Carvey one", "The 'Read my lips' one", "The one married to Barbara", and of course, "George W's Dad".

Interesting wagers in Final Jeopardy! I thought maybe Jeff was going to take my advice from yesterday and bet it all, just in case Lauren bet for the tie again, but instead he leaves $200 behind, which as it turns out was a good play, since he still got 2nd as Jonathan only left himself $2. Then Lauren goes and bets way more than the MSB. I wonder if she felt extremely confident in the category, or if she recognized that due to the scores, it was pretty likely that even with her $10,000 bet, she would probably still win on a triple stumper. Whatever the reason, it made for a nice payday on the sole get, earning $6,200 more than she would have won by making the MSB.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

billy pilgrim wrote:So we now know they will accept "Bush the First" and "Bush Sr.' George HW. Interesting.
I've often wondered about "Bush Sr." Also "Bush the Elder," which in light of those two would almost certainly be fine, and "Bush-41," which I still don't know about.

Thought of Sarkozy on Final, guessed Poland. As the music ran out I thought, "Isn't he not President anymore?" but I couldn't have come up with Hollande anyway.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?