Monday, March 25, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 25, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, March 25, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jeff6286 »

The AFI's 100 Greatest American Movies
"The Wizard of Oz" & this 1950s film are the 2 musicals in the top 10 on the AFI's list.

Spoiler
What is Singin' in the Rain? ("Singing" also acceptable, as both Tom and Rachel added the "g") Tyson said West Side Story.
Rachel Liptak: $16,000+$12,801=$28,801...now a 2-day champion with $48,002
Tom Lynn: $14,400+$6,000=$20,400
Tyson Schindler: $7,800-$6,201=$1,599
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Copperheads a TS when spotted snaky? Sad.

Eddie Vedder fronting Van Halen could have been interesting. And he answered with such conviction.

Two clues where the contestants didn't read the question accurately. No excuse for that.

Need to put the AFI 100 on my study list, no clue whatsoever Singin in the Rain was top 10. And had I guessed that I very well might have added the g to Singin probably causing a neg. That would have been ironic considering the clue from some months back.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Both contestants added the g in their response.

I was rooting for the older guy, but he shot himself in the foot with the Van Halen guess. I suppose he thought Alex said Eddie Van Halen instead of Vedder. If he clams he possibly wins the game.

The end of the book category was strange. Two of the books had part of their titles in the clues. (The Old Man and the other about going "Around the world").

Good job by the champ betting small on the late DD in a close game with $6,000 still on the board. Interestingly, I would have bet $1,200, which would have caused a tie if she'd listened to me.

Imstaget FJ for me. I liked the older guy's chance's when I saw the category and was 99% certain he'd get it right when I saw the answer. Sadly for him, the champ knew it as well.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Golf wrote:Copperheads a TS when spotted snaky? Sad.
I don't think the Copperheads are that well known, though. Granted, American history is really not my strong suit, and I'd like to have other boardies weigh in on this (perhaps see it in the weekly poll, if it won't be too much after the fact), but it isn't something I've heard of (and I'm not exactly TPH).
Golf wrote:Eddie Vedder fronting Van Halen could have been interesting. And he answered with such conviction.
Possibly stopped reading at "Eddie V", one of the secrets to winning at Jeopardy! is being able to read the clue quickly (but, as shown, also being able to read all relevant parts quickly, not just skimming.)
Bamaman wrote:The end of the book category was strange. Two of the books had part of their titles in the clues. (The Old Man and the other about going "Around the world").
I think they were low-value clues though.

I thought it was a bit easy asking for only one of the Ms in 3M, if it was me, I would have written it to ask what all 3 Ms stood for, I don't think it would have been that difficult, it *might* have necessitated it being a $1000 clue instead of $800, but definitely gettable.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TheConfessor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TheConfessor »

I thought the misspelled FJ responses might be disallowed, since movie titles need to be exact. Are they loosening their standards, or is there some precedent for allowing Singing instead of Singin'? Also, did the clue say it was a 1950 film or a 1950's film? IMDB says Singin' In The Rain was 1952.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045152/
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TheConfessor wrote:I thought the misspelled FJ responses might be disallowed, since movie titles need to be exact. Are they loosening their standards, or is there some precedent for allowing Singing instead of Singin'? Also, did the clue say it was a 1950 film or a 1950's film? IMDB says Singin' In The Rain was 1952.
It might have been allowed under the "pronounced the same" rule - is there precedence for a FJ being negged because it was pronounced the same, but was an altered title?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Nicely played game, BaltimoreBoy! That was really exciting and could have gone either way.

I got Lach Trash on Calvary, September (Grandparents Day), and Pittsburgh. Missed FJ--the best I could come up with was South Pacific, which at least was a musical from the '50's.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Does somebody have the first clue in Phi Beta Kappa? My reception was jerky and choppy, and I have no idea what it was. Need it to know my Coryat and to blog. Thanks.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

dhkendall wrote:
TheConfessor wrote:I thought the misspelled FJ responses might be disallowed, since movie titles need to be exact. Are they loosening their standards, or is there some precedent for allowing Singing instead of Singin'? Also, did the clue say it was a 1950 film or a 1950's film? IMDB says Singin' In The Rain was 1952.
It might have been allowed under the "pronounced the same" rule - is there precedence for a FJ being negged because it was pronounced the same, but was an altered title?
Waitin for Godot in the Teachers Tournament? Maybe the lack of apostrophe was a problem.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote:
Bamaman wrote:The end of the book category was strange. Two of the books had part of their titles in the clues. (The Old Man and the other about going "Around the world").
I think they were low-value clues though.
Old Man was at the top and Around the world was at the bottom.

I got Copperheads.

I can never remember if the ship is Old Ironside or Ironsides, so I played it safe with the Constitution.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I was thinkin' that they would take "Singing on the Rain."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Pretty easy game for me. 18/30 and 14/30.

Any reason I should know Ohio for $200 is The Ohio State University and not any other college in Ohio? Usually when they ask for a state college at $200, it's University of [State].

There were "copperheads" in the Civil War? We just covered that era in History a couple months ago, and they weren't mentioned anywhere.

Phish was my only miss in Bands, since I knew neither their genre nor state of origin.

I've never heard of the "stations of the cross" before. Still, I should've gotten 4/5 in that category ("Via Dolorosa" was the only one I had no chance on), but I blanked on Pilate and Mary, and had a derp moment on $800. "Blah blah blah, hill. they're gonna ask for Golgotha, aren't they? Oh snap, Golgotha's in the clue… wait, that hill had more than one name?" [beep beep beep] "…Oh yeah, duh, Calvary.")

Who else clammed on the "Around the World in 80 Days" because "world" was in the clue?

Clamming on "hack" kept me from the run in Vo-cab-ulary, because I'm used to "hack" writers being ones who are incompetent, not amateur or whatever the clue said that wasn't "incompetent".

My most impressive get tonight was Slaughterhouse-Five.

Was vacillating between Sound of Music vs. West Side Story, since I had no idea when either was filmed. Put down neither, because I correctly figured both were wrong. Singin' in the Rain just seems far less Pavlovian to me than most other musicals.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

1950s film. And I had it spelled correctly, so :P
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It mentioned Columbus, which is where OSU is located.
alamble

Post by alamble »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Pretty easy game for me. 18/30 and 14/30.

Any reason I should know Ohio for $200 is The Ohio State University and not any other college in Ohio? Usually when they ask for a state college at $200, it's University of [State].
Yes, because Ohio State is in Columbus, which is specifically referenced in the clue.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alamble wrote:Yes, because Ohio State is in Columbus, which is specifically referenced in the clue.
And because everyone knows where every college on the planet is located.
AdamAnt
Valued Contributor

Post by AdamAnt »

Nearly swept the month category, just missed out on the last one, I had guessed April. Also did rather well in 60's shows and "Stand" but otherwise no special performance from me watching tonight's episode.

For some reason I was thinking along the lines of a Disney movie from the 50's. I had thought of The Sound of Music briefly before I recalled that it was done in the 60's
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

People on Jeopardy should, at least the location of major colleges with major football programs.