Thursday, April 4, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 4, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6579, 2013-04-04

CONTESTANTS
Salvo Candela, a university administrator from New York, New York
Katie Newcomb, a paralegal from Washington, D.C.
Rebecca Rider, an office supply sales assistant from Fresh Meadows, New York (whose 5-day cash winnings total $101,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Well, it's obvious from what Johnny just said that the week has belonged to our champion, Rebecca--over $100,000, and she's an excellent player. Katie and Salvo, you're gonna have to work hard to replace her as champ, but good luck to all three of you. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round, and here come the categories. First off, you're gonna deal with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FICTIONAL BEER (5/5)
COMPLETES THE BESTSELLER TITLE (5/5)
MANHATTAN PROJECTS (4/5)
DRESSED-DOWN FIRST NAMES (5/5)
KING LOUIS (4/5)
SOWING "OTE"s (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Salvo: 12 R, 1 W
Katie: 10 R, 0 W
Rebecca: 5 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Salvo: $4,400
Rebecca: $1,600
Katie: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Salvo Candela is from New York, but he has participated on a couple of occasions in a special bike rally in Canada.

Salvo: That's right.

Alex: Now, tell me about that. I've never heard of a rally there.

Salvo: Twice now, I rode my bike from Toronto to Montreal, which is, uh--

Alex: about 400 miles.

Salvo: Yeah, something like that, and it's to raise money for the Toronto People With AIDS
Foundation. There are 300 of us that make the trip every year.

Alex: And how much have you guys raised so far?

Salvo: We've raised well over a million dollars.

Alex: Hey. Good for you.

Salvo: Thank you.

Alex: All right, Katie Newcomb is a paralegal from Washington, D.C. Now, how did your late father teach you about one of his favorite types
of music, classic rock?

Katie: Well, usually when we were in the car, me and my brother and my parents, he would start playing a quiz game with us about whatever was on the radio. So we would have to tell him the name of the song and the name of the artist and usually who was playing guitar
and maybe who was also playing on the song
that wasn't usually in that band. He had a very vast store of knowledge.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Rebecca Rider is our champion. She has a vast store of knowledge, also. How did you acquire the knowledge you've got? You're into literature. And is it just memorizing stuff? Is it reading a lot? How?

Rebecca: I am a voracious and incorrigible bibliophile.

Alex: Really?

Rebecca: I love to read. I read all kinds of things. I've been reading since a very early age. So you pick up stuff, and you just kind of
keep it in memory, and it just kind of floats up.

Alex: Well, that's good. And it's certainly
paying off for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rebecca found the Daily Double on the 16th clue. Rebecca had $1,600, Katie had $600, and Salvo was at $4,400. Rebecca made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,600.

SOWING "OTE"s $1000: Theodore Roosevelt said this "is like a rifle: its usefulness depends on the character of the user"
(Rebecca: What is "I have absolutely no idea"?)
(Alex: If you'd add one letter to "o-t-e," you'd come up with [*], and that's what Theodore Roosevelt was referring to.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MANHATTAN PROJECTS $800: One of Manhattan's greenest buildings is the Times Square HQ of this publisher of Vogue & Vanity Fair
(Salvo: What is Hearst?)

KING LOUIS $800: On June 13, 1886 this Bavarian king aka Louis II drowned in a lake, as did his psychiatrist who tried to save him
(Rebecca: Who is Louis the Mad?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Katie: $6,200
Salvo: $5,400
Rebecca: $600

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, April 4, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
OPERA (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LET IT "B" (5/5)
SHE DID IT! (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
STATES' MOST POPULOUS COUNTIES (5/5)
ENGLAND SWINGS (5/5)
U.N. ALPHABET SOUP (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Salvo: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Katie: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Rebecca: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Katie snagged the next Daily Double on the 16th clue. Rebecca had $3,000, Katie had $8,600, and Salvo was at $13,000. Katie wagered $2,000.

SHE DID IT! $2000: Painted "Pelvis With Moon" in 1943

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Salvo who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Rebecca had $5,400, Katie had $15,800, and Salvo was at $17,400. Salvo wagered $1,400.

OPERA $800: In operas by Richard Wagner, Brunnhilde is one of these 9 sisters who are warrior-maidens

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SHE DID IT! $1200: Served in 2 cabinet posts & was president of the American Red Cross

SHE DID IT! $1600: Writer who coined the term "Lost Generation"

OPERA $1600: (Placido Domingo presents the clue from the Metropolitan Opera.) On this stage as Cavaradossi, I sang farewell to Tosca in an opera by this composer
(Rebecca: What is La Scala?)
(Alex: We're going for the composer, [*].)

OPERA $2000: The title of this Verdi opera is often translated as "the fallen woman", referring to Violetta

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Salvo: $17,600
Katie: $17,000
Rebecca: $3,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AT THE GROCERY STORE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Salvo: Wager $16,401 to cover Katie. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $8,801.
Katie: Your score is within 4/5ths of Salvo's, so wager between $1,201 (venusian) and $9,399 (martian), beating Salvo's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Rebecca's part.
Rebecca: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Katie, but if Katie decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $2,600.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The national promotion board for this food, Citrullus lanatus, lists hydration as a primary health benefit

FINAL SCORES
Rebecca: $3,800 - $3,800 = $0 (What is orange juice?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Katie: $17,000 - $4,000 = $13,000 (What is Grapefruit?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Salvo: $17,600 + $8,500 = $26,100 (What is watermelon?) (New champion: $26,100)
(Alex: It's 92 percent H2O and it tastes good, too.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Salvo: $17,000, 22 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Katie: $17,000, 19 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Rebecca: $5,400, 12 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $39,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Salvo: 23/59 = .390
Katie: 19/59 = .322
Rebecca: 12/59 = .203
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SOWING "OTE"s $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) When two gametes like an egg and a sperm unite, they form a fertilized egg cell called this; once it divides, it's considered an embryo

STATES' MOST POPULOUS COUNTIES $1200: Cuyahoga County
(Katie: What is New York?)

OPERA $1200: Canio has the tears of a clown in this opera in which he must make others laugh while his heart is breaking
(Salvo: What is Pagliaccio?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
vote
Condé Nast
Mad King Ludwig
Georgia O'Keeffe
the valkyries
Elizabeth Dole
Gertrude Stein
(Giacomo) Puccini
La Traviata
watermelon
zygote
Ohio
Pagliacci

Patronaut
One-Day Jeopardy Champ 3/26/2013

Post by Patronaut » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:32 am

Today I might actually keep track of my answer and see how I do.
"Physics is to mathematics as sex is to masturbation." - Richard Feynman.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:30 pm

AT THE GROCERY STORE

The national promotion board for this food, citrullus lanatus, lists hydration as a primary health benefit.
SpoilerShow
What is watermelon? Rebecca said orange juice, Katie said grapefruit.

Rebecca Rider: $3,800-$3,800=$0
Katie Newcomb: $17,000-$4,000=$13,000
Salvo Candela: $17,600+$8,500=$26,100

Salvo new champion with one day total of $16,100
Rebecca leaves with five day total of $101,600

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:24 pm

Like the women, the "citrullus" led me astray too. In fact, I first thought "watermelon" because of the hydration angle, then dismissed it because of "citrullus". After Alex that perhaps "citrullus" was misleading them, after Katie's reveal but before Salvo's, I instantly knew it had to be watermelon then.

Rebecca, remember when I said before that you have every right to complain about the FJ that eventually dethrones you, no matter what it is or how simple it may be? You definitely have my permission over this one.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:32 pm

Was it me or was Katie intentionally leaning back and sticking out her ample lady parts every time the camera was on her? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:26 pm

Golf wrote:Was it me or was Katie intentionally leaning back and sticking out her ample lady parts every time the camera was on her? Not that there's anything wrong with that.
No, I got that impression too, although it may just be how she stands since she seemed to be doing it even in wide shots.

This was my worst game since I started keeping track - only $27,600 combined Coryat, although I did get the FJ right. My first thought was coconut (like coconut water) but that didn't make enough sense so I opted for watermelon. Sort of a contrasting type of clue to yesterday's game - in that one, they gave you a bit of information (Julio Argentino Roca) that was only useful for teasing out a hint (that the woman in question was from Argentina), while in this one, they gave you a bit of information (the scientific name of the fruit) that was pretty much useless unless you're a botanist and in fact was more likely to lead you astray, distracting Rebecca and Katie from the only real clue: hydration. Kind of annoying.

Good run by Rebecca, though she clearly ran out of steam in this game, regardless of the FJ. Since this was, I presume, her fourth game of the day, that might have just taken it out of her. (I'm sure she can confirm/deny if she wishes.) When I told my wife that they tape a whole week at a time, she seemed appalled at how unfair this was to a champion.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:27 pm

On the Roosevelt DD in "Ote", even when Alex said "add a letter to O-T-E", I had absolutely no idea what the heck the answer was. "Mote? Pote? Fote? Yote? Jote? I got nothing."

Is there any reason I should know Prince Harry is really a Henry and not a Harold? That seemed like some epic neg-bait. (Not to mention that it's right up there with John F. Kennedy going by "Jack" as far as pointless nicknames. Aren't nicknames supposed to be shorter?)

Counties was a 4/5, with a pre-call of Wayne County/Michigan. For some reason, I keep thinking Maricopa is in Florida, not Arizona; it just sounds so Floridian to me.

Also 4/5 on Let it "B". I said "bogey" instead of "bunker" (never heard that word in golf usage) on $1200.

====

Fruit + citrus + hydration. Something you make a beverage out of. Orange… what?!? How the hell do you get watermelon out of that clue?!?

====

I think our champ seemed a little fatigue. She put down a FJ! guess that wasn't even a fruit per se, and I think she had at least two other instances where she gave a guess that didn't fit the category.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:29 pm

Not in a million years was I going to get watermelon.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Is there any reason I should know Prince Harry is really a Henry and not a Harold? That seemed like some epic neg-bait. (Not to mention that it's right up there with John F. Kennedy going by "Jack" as far as pointless nicknames. Aren't nicknames supposed to be shorter?)
I'm actually with you on that one. I've never heard Prince Harry referred to as anything other than "Prince Harry".

DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:32 pm

Fruit + hydration had me thinking of what fruit I would eat if I was thirsty, which led me to watermelon.

TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:36 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Is there any reason I should know Prince Harry is really a Henry and not a Harold? That seemed like some epic neg-bait. (Not to mention that it's right up there with John F. Kennedy going by "Jack" as far as pointless nicknames. Aren't nicknames supposed to be shorter?)
I negged with Harold, but it made sense once I heard Henry - Henry is a much more common name of the English monarchy (even if there were a couple of pre-Norman Harolds), for one thing, and Harry is a common English nickname for Henry. Agreed that it's maybe not the most intuitive if you're not British, but it wasn't exactly the $200 clue.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:37 pm

Henry I got. Watermelon I did not, said orange juice.

ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:39 pm

econgator wrote:Not in a million years was I going to get watermelon.
I'm actually with you on that one. I've never heard Prince Harry referred to as anything other than "Prince Harry".
Harry/Henry is just one of those nonsensical nickname pairs (like how apparently Sadie is a nickname for Sarah, Peggy is a nickname for Margaret, etc.). I'm not sure quite where it came from, but I know they're related.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:47 pm

^ Aren't some Roberts "Ted"? And as I've said, Jack as a nickname for John. What's the point?

Also, for the record, I haven't eaten watermelon in ages. I find it extremely flavorless.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:08 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:^ Aren't some Roberts "Ted"?
I've never heard Ted as a nickname for Robert. It's a nickname for Edward, yes, which is not totally intuitive in its own way.

Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:15 pm

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:Harry/Henry is just one of those nonsensical nickname pairs (like how apparently Sadie is a nickname for Sarah, Peggy is a nickname for Margaret, etc.). I'm not sure quite where it came from, but I know they're related.
I remember this exchange from HS-- me: How the heck do you get "Peggy" out of "Margaret?" Funny friend: With a crowbar.

I really liked Salvo's style; he was so calm and self-assured! I hope he makes a run.

I said oranges, having taken the negbait.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:17 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:^ Aren't some Roberts "Ted"? And as I've said, Jack as a nickname for John. What's the point?

Also, for the record, I haven't eaten watermelon in ages. I find it extremely flavorless.

I like watermelon, but I've never thought of it as "delicious", not really much of a flavor at all.

And why did people feel a need to abbreviate the word "at"? Was writing out @ so much simpler than spelling all two letters of the word?

Fishercat

Post by Fishercat » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:18 pm

I'm surprised watermelon has a national promotion board. I started there and ended up at orange juice. Threw an air punch in frustration at the gym. Ugh.

Interesting wagers at FJ too. Salvo doesn't make the lockout, Katie doesn't do the min or max either. Weird,

marpocky

Post by marpocky » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:29 pm

Fishercat wrote:Interesting wagers at FJ too. Salvo doesn't make the lockout, Katie doesn't do the min or max either. Weird,
At least that rendered my surprise/disappointment at Rebecca's wager moot.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:30 pm

Bamaman wrote: Rebecca Rider: $3,800-$3,800=$0
Katie Newcomb: $17,000-$4,000=$13,000
Salvo Candela: $17,600+$8,500=$26,100
The most Katie could bet and still beat Rebecca was $9,399. If she bets that and gets it right, she has $26,399.