Monday, April 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MDCSWildcats86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, April 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

groovitude wrote:J! Round
$9,600 Coryats / $12,000 without negatives
* I ran Which Religion's Holiday and clammed on the $1000 clue for Ends in "Sh." I guess the voices in my head started talking about a perfect game to jinx me. :oops:
* I was shocked Paul McCartney was missing from the Bass and Vocals category. I was secretly hoping for Les Claypool, too, but at least we got Geddy Lee. I couldn't remember if Simmons played bass or guitar, and was waffling between him and Ace Frehley when the answer was given. Shucks.
* Whiffed on the DD; guessed Arizona instead of the proper New Mexico.

Usually GS played bass for KISS, but on Love Gun (the song, not the album) and most of Dynasty, the bass parts were played by Paul Stanley or Ace Frehley, depending on who sang.
stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 »

Another problem with FJ, besides the Blue Rider debacle, is that, if you remember high school art, Impressionism was named for a Monet painting: Impression Sunrise. This doesn't square with Jeopardy's account of the origin. But, then again, I guess there's always more to the story.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

groovitude wrote:I've never been to Pittsburgh, but based on their discussion, 'O' Fries sound like quite a draw.
The full name of the establishment they're referring to is The Original Hot Dog Shop.

But when you go to Pittsburgh, your first fry experience should involve a Primanti Bros. sandwich.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

trainman wrote:
groovitude wrote:I've never been to Pittsburgh, but based on their discussion, 'O' Fries sound like quite a draw.
The full name of the establishment they're referring to is The Original Hot Dog Shop.
I've been to Pittsburgh (several times) and have never heard of them. Now I see why. They are not within walking distance of my hotel.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
groovitude
Valued Contributor

Post by groovitude »

trainman wrote:

But when you go to Pittsburgh, your first fry experience should involve a Primanti Bros. sandwich.
You don't have to twist my arm on this one. Wow.
svocan
Contributor

Post by svocan »

groovitude wrote:
trainman wrote:

I heartily second the Primanti Bros. suggestion. :)
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

svocan wrote:
groovitude wrote:
trainman wrote:
I heartily second the Primanti Bros. suggestion. :)
And I third. In fact, let me know when you're there and I'll come down and join you for one. ;)
Patronaut
One-Day Jeopardy Champ 3/26/2013

Post by Patronaut »

I'll be the fourth. Primanti's is all over the city, while the O is only in Oakland (frequented by college kids).
"Physics is to mathematics as sex is to masturbation." - Richard Feynman.
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

Patronaut wrote:I'll be the fourth. Primanti's is all over the city, while the O is only in Oakland (frequented by college kids).
True, though the only REAL one is the dirty one in the Strip.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Somehow never made it the O, though Primanti's in The Strip (as well as Benkovitz) was a regular destination. That and Chiodo's in Homestead.
Patronaut

Post by Patronaut »

alietr wrote:Somehow never made it the O, though Primanti's in The Strip (as well as Benkovitz) was a regular destination. That and Chiodo's in Homestead.
I hate to tell you this, but Chido's is gone. It's now a Walgreen's and Subway.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

opusthepenguin wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:Well, at least my strategy of 'name a random -ism' worked. Is that a famous anecdote? Is there some connection that I was supposed to make? Wasn't happening here.
Wasn't happening here either. I have no idea why they thought that quote would or should lead us to the correct response. I figured "blue" was the TOM somehow and followed it to Picasso but didn't know where to go from there. I ended up saying Cubism even though I knew Picasso's blue period was not the same as his cubist period. I thought Mark's guess of Fauvism was terrific and Salvo's of Modernism wasn't bad either. Anne's guess of Impressionism was by far the weakest. Except for the part where it was right.
I used the same thinking to arrive at Cubism. I still don't know what about this clue was supposed to lead to a correct answer, other than, perhaps, you know it or you don't.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

alietr wrote:I have no idea where they pulled that from, but I'd hardly call it how the movement was born. I know a fair amount about Impressionism, and had never heard this one. In fact, if you Google the quote (in quotes), there aren't an awful lot of references to it on the Web. Nope, this was a real stinker of a clue with very little pointing you correctly to the response. Boo, hiss. (FTR, I responded Fauvism to have something regarding color.)
How the movement was born? IIRC it came from the single work "Impression: Sunrise" or something to that effect. Nothing whatsoever to do with which color they had or ran out of.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

That's exactly right. It's was Monet's "Impression, Soleil Levant" that lent its name to the movement. While color is obviously an important factor, it is not a defining characteristic.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

trainman wrote:But when you go to Pittsburgh, your first fry experience should involve a Primanti Bros. sandwich.
groovitude wrote:You don't have to twist my arm on this one. Wow.
svocan wrote:I heartily second the Primanti Bros. suggestion. :)
kickerofelves wrote:And I third. In fact, let me know when you're there and I'll come down and join you for one. ;)
Count me in! We'll all go together. Whoever won the most on Jeopardy pays? For the plane trip too?
Patronaut

Post by Patronaut »

opusthepenguin wrote:
trainman wrote:But when you go to Pittsburgh, your first fry experience should involve a Primanti Bros. sandwich.
groovitude wrote:You don't have to twist my arm on this one. Wow.
svocan wrote:I heartily second the Primanti Bros. suggestion. :)
kickerofelves wrote:And I third. In fact, let me know when you're there and I'll come down and join you for one. ;)
Count me in! We'll all go together. Whoever won the most on Jeopardy pays? For the plane trip too?
My plane trip will be the cheapest.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

opusthepenguin wrote:Count me in! We'll all go together. Whoever won the most on Jeopardy pays? For the plane trip too?
But then Ken Jennings won't join you!
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:
groovitude wrote:J! Round
$9,600 Coryats / $12,000 without negatives
* I ran Which Religion's Holiday and clammed on the $1000 clue for Ends in "Sh." I guess the voices in my head started talking about a perfect game to jinx me. :oops:
* I was shocked Paul McCartney was missing from the Bass and Vocals category. I was secretly hoping for Les Claypool, too, but at least we got Geddy Lee. I couldn't remember if Simmons played bass or guitar, and was waffling between him and Ace Frehley when the answer was given. Shucks.
* Whiffed on the DD; guessed Arizona instead of the proper New Mexico.

Usually GS played bass for KISS, but on Love Gun (the song, not the album) and most of Dynasty, the bass parts were played by Paul Stanley or Ace Frehley, depending on who sang.
Would you believe I listened to Dynasty just the other night? Ace did some good singing on that one.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Paucle wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:Count me in! We'll all go together. Whoever won the most on Jeopardy pays? For the plane trip too?
But then Ken Jennings won't join you!
We'll tell him Brad's coming too.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

But what if they want to team up against you for Trivia? Better invite Watson!