Tuesday, April 9, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: How 'bout a "Stupid Questions" category? Indigo, out dey come

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote:
The Real Diogenes wrote:Blah Blah Blah.

Fire the writers.
That was soooo yesterday.

No, really, it was.
Shouldn't a moderator edit or delete this post to avoid spoiling people who haven't seen yesterday's show yet? How did this post even get approved, when it was posted in the wrong thread?

And is this The Real TRD, or a (?)shrewd impostor?
TomC4253
Valued Contributor

Re: Tuesday, April 9, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TomC4253 »

Leander wrote:Instaget FJ for me. 1949 pretty much gave me the play and I was sure there were enough acclaimed revivals to have won some subsequent awards. On the other hand, some horrible DJ categories for me, including Mexico and Presidential actors.
The Mexican History category killed me!

Pretty much got FJ right away. I believe the two revivals that won the Tony were the one starring Brian Dennehy anout 15 years ago and the one last year with Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Congratulations to Adam "kickerofelves" on a great game played against VERY tough opponents.
No, no, no! There's no crying in Jeopardy!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote:How did this post even get approved, when it was posted in the wrong thread?
Doesn't require approval.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

1949 seemed right for the year, and I knew of at least two popular revival productions of DotS (one starring Brian Dennehy, the other Philip Seymour Hoffman, which was last year). I didn’t know if they won Tonys, but it seemed a reasonable guess.

Edited to add: Or what Tom said, though I seem to remember J! referring to Dennehy's performance more than once.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Congratulations, Adam! Salvo, congratulations on a nice J! run.

FJ was a total WAG for me. Providentially, it was the right WAG. :)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:How did this post even get approved, when it was posted in the wrong thread?
Why not? I thought all first posts needed to be.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

I got FJ! primarily from the angle of "lots of remakes'. I knew the recent one with Phillip Seymour Hoffman won, and was familiar with the Brian Dennehy version. Dustin Hoffman starred in the one that won the third tony. There was even a George C. Scott in the mid-seventies.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Canada has the most visitors to the US. Makes sense after the fact, but when pressed, I figured it was totally wide open and could be literally any country.
You realize, also, that that number isn't unique individuals who visit? They count me about 17 times each year.

And, as others have alluded to, it really couldn't be anything other than Canada and Mexico.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bpmod wrote:
econgator wrote:
Why not? I thought all first posts needed to be.

Brian
Heh ... wasn't even paying attention to that.

Well, it wasn't me. :)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Canada has the most visitors to the US. Makes sense after the fact, but when pressed, I figured it was totally wide open and could be literally any country.
You realize, also, that that number isn't unique individuals who visit? They count me about 17 times each year.

And, as others have alluded to, it really couldn't be anything other than Canada and Mexico.

Brian
And even then, it's still a total coin-flip.

In all seriousness, I figured there was a nonzero chance of some other big country having enough of a population to send over via boat or plane to outweigh the fact that Canada, while directly connected, has "only" 33 million people. After all, there are about 20 other countries that have close to double or more Canada's population. China and Japan, to name just two, seemed every bit as legit to me.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Congratulations, Adam! Nice game and a finely-crafted FJ wager. Congratulations also to Salvo for a nice run.

I got FJ, but it was a bit of a guess.
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

J! was pretty easy, I thought - I ran four of the six categories. But DJ was rough. I clammed on fully ten and put up just $17,200, my lowest DJ Coryat to date. For FJ, as I was writing down "The Iceman Cometh," "Death of a Salesman" flitted through my mind, but I was already committed. Oh well. Theater is definitely not my strong suit.
AdamAnt
Valued Contributor

Post by AdamAnt »

I actually calculated my responses and was just shy of $10K today. Biggest shock for me was getting Admiral and General correct.

Sad to see Salvo go, he was a great contestant to watch compete. Congratulations to Adam! Here's to hoping you and your awesome name have a good run on Jeopardy!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Wow, what a fun game to watch! It's been a while since I've seen a matchup featuring three players capable of being multi-day champs. Congrats to Salvo on a good run, and hearty congratulations to Kicker for a great game, too. I fell afoul of FJ, saying South Pacific with no confidence at all, having dismissed "The Fantasticks" and "Oklahoma!" I didn't know enough about the era in which DoAS was written to put 2 and 2 together.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Jack London category was the kind to use the Bob Harris strategy to think about the category during the break. The Call of the Wild was a given to show up somewhere. I expected White Fang as well. I'm glad the writers did not use The Sea-Wolf or Captain Larsen as I spent all the commercials unable to recall either. Boxing and CA required no JL knowledge. Fire made sense after hearing it.

The draw did Salvo no favors with two strong challengers. Ryan was better than a one-and-done $1000 3rd place finisher. With a solve on the FJ clue it could have been Adam leaving with second place money. His title defense will be interesting with two tough guys out of the way.

I liked Adam's game sense to take a guess on the Ballet $2000 to try for the lead.

South Pacific for me on the FJ clue as 1949 sounded about right and I knew it's been on the stage more than once. I failed to catch on to the musical vs. play problem. If I had gone the drama route I suspect I might have tried something O'Neill or Williams before getting to Miller.
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

dhkendall wrote:I promised I'd ask here, since two out of the three players (Adam and Salvo) are boardies (and also, the two that got FJ! right), what was it that gave you this?
I was probably 80% confident on it. I knew the date was (approximately) right, recalled that it won a Tony during its initial run, and knew that it's had multiple (and well-regarded) revivals. I studied it in one of my high school English classes, had to write things on it, etc., so it happens to be a play that I know (somewhat) disproportionately well...

Thanks to all for the well wishes! Salvo and Ryan were both very tough players, I was thrilled to pull out a win.

-a.
svocan
Contributor

Post by svocan »

kickerofelves wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I promised I'd ask here, since two out of the three players (Adam and Salvo) are boardies (and also, the two that got FJ! right), what was it that gave you this?
I was probably 80% confident on it. I knew the date was (approximately) right, recalled that it won a Tony during its initial run, and knew that it's had multiple (and well-regarded) revivals. I studied it in one of my high school English classes, had to write things on it, etc., so it happens to be a play that I know (somewhat) disproportionately well...

Thanks to all for the well wishes! Salvo and Ryan were both very tough players, I was thrilled to pull out a win.

-a.
I was aware that a much-advertised revival was on Broadway at the time of taping (or shortly before; I don't quite remember now) and since the clue said "play" rather than "musical," I guessed Death of a Salesman.

My time on Jeopardy went much further than I had ever imagined, and it was a fantastically fun experience. And if anyone had to end my run, I'm glad it was Adam, who is an exceedingly nice guy and a formidable opponent! Congratulations Adam! :D
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

svocan wrote:My time on Jeopardy went much further than I had ever imagined, and it was a fantastically fun experience. And if anyone had to end my run, I'm glad it was Adam, who is an exceedingly nice guy and a formidable opponent! Congratulations Adam! :D
Aww, thanks. :)

Congrats on a great run!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Andromus wrote:Bad FJ category for me. I went with A Streetcar Named Desire.
Same. I can rattle off names of plays but not much else about them.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

kickerofelves wrote:Thanks to all for the well wishes! Salvo and Ryan were both very tough players, I was thrilled to pull out a win.

-a.
And now you have to wait 'til tomorrow to see if you can pull off a second one.

Brian