Wednesday, April 10, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Leander »

"Sylvie and Bruno" seemed so obviously French that it led me in the totally wrong direction in FJ and I was lost. Kept trying to think of a French mathematician who wrote fiction.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Leander wrote:"Sylvie and Bruno" seemed so obviously French that it led me in the totally wrong direction in FJ and I was lost. Kept trying to think of a French mathematician who wrote fiction.
Yeah, funny how Bamaman changed his answer from Verne because he thought the names didn't sound French. The only names that popped into my mind were Descartes and Pascal simply because it was so obviously someone French!
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Was it me, or was Karla guessing a heck of a lot? Some of her guesses were way off, too (e.g. "St. Lawrence").
Sorry, how is that "way off?" Sure, it was wrong, but she guessed a river that flows between the US and Canada in the general area of the Great Lakes. It's not like she said the Thames or the Mekong. Those would be way off.
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Pinter Pause" seemed way, way, way undervlaued at $200.
I've never heard of it before, but I gave the correct response with near 100% confidence. Pinter + alliterative + silence + $200 = what else could it be? And then considering the other clues in that category, if you don't know much about Pinter, this is clearly the $200 clue.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

groovitude wrote:This was an absolutely hideous game for me. I did decently enough in the J! Round (ran Websites), but DJ! was embarassing. I blanked on all of the Governors -- despite following the Republican primaries closely (Huckabee and Pawlenty) and having lived in New York City through all of David Paterson's term. I thankfully got the Huson River, but couldn't think of the Delaware River, despite having grown up in New Jersey. Yikes.
Concur. Worse yet, there were probably a good 10 questions I missed simply because my brain failed to fire in time.

Went 1/5 in governors, but I *should* have gone at least 4/5. (Patterson, Long, Pawlenty just did not fire fast enough...cannot guarantee I'd've got Richards.)
Missed Desperado despite having the trilogy, bungled the Dirty Harry quote.

Cleared my scoresheet already but I could probably find a few others on a similar vein.

Least FJ was instant...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Wow, I'm not sure that I can recall a game with this many negs in it. Congrats on another solid win, Kicker, but in contrast to your previous slugfest of a match, this one seemed to be a bit of a clunker. Those boards were fairly tough, but there was still plenty of Lach trash for me. No joy on FJ, though. I was drawing a blank for 19th C mathematician/poet. I toyed with Bertrand Russell but dismissed him for being a 20th C figure. The good Deacon Dodgson, alas, never entered my thought processes.
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

marpocky wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Was it me, or was Karla guessing a heck of a lot? Some of her guesses were way off, too (e.g. "St. Lawrence").
Sorry, how is that "way off?" Sure, it was wrong, but she guessed a river that flows between the US and Canada in the general area of the Great Lakes. It's not like she said the Thames or the Mekong. Those would be way off.
Also, "Saint" was half of my neg answer - Saint Clair, which is the river that flows NORTH from Lake St Clair to Lake Huron, whereas the Detroit River flows south from Lake St Clair to Lake Erie. Boo. Also picked the wrong binary choice on Serengeti, saying Kenya even as I was thinking "I'm going to say the wrong one." Should've clammed up.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

This seemed like an awkward game with a lot of misses and TS's. Even though I tend more towards staying clam than negging, I got three of the same negs as Adam (NAFTA, life--figured out wife after life was wrong, Colt). Did get breech baby grand and miss is as good as a mile. Should have had third base metal. Figured out Pinter Pause from the context.

I'm actually 3 for 3 on FJ this week, but I was most confident on today's.

Congrats to Adam!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

marpocky wrote:
So, I guess if the Hudson were being called for, the Mississippi wouldn't be "way off", and the Ohio would be downright close.
TryphonTournesol wrote:Also, "Saint" was half of my neg answer - Saint Clair, which is the river that flows NORTH from Lake St Clair to Lake Huron, whereas the Detroit River flows south from Lake St Clair to Lake Erie. Boo. Also picked the wrong binary choice on Serengeti, saying Kenya even as I was thinking "I'm going to say the wrong one." Should've clammed up.
The St. Clair river is definitely NORTH of Lake St. Clair, but it flows SOUTH into said lake.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

bpmod wrote:The St. Clair river is definitely NORTH of Lake St. Clair, but it flows SOUTH into said lake.

Brian
Yeah, that's what I meant. See, bad day all around.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:No chance at Breech Baby Grand or Third Base Metal
Breech Baby Grand was an insta for me, probably because my mom was a breech baby. Born in 1943. In rural (*very* rural) Saskatchewan. With just a midwife assisting. The fact that she lived long enough to have me (and is still around) is nothing short of amazing if you think about it.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I remember the other Lach Trash I got: "The Handmaid's Tale". That seems to come up in quiz bowl practice all the time, usually in the other direction.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Linear Gnome wrote:I remember the other Lach Trash I got: "The Handmaid's Tale". That seems to come up in quiz bowl practice all the time, usually in the other direction.
Oh yeah, that was another that, another day, I would've gotten...but not today.

Incidentally, Lewis Carroll was pretty fresh in my mind for a different reason: I saw Jurassic Park Sunday, and one of the throwaway characters is a Lewis Dodgson ("You shouldn't use my name." "Dodgson. We've got Dodgson here!! See? Nobody cares.") who was named after Lewis (Carroll) / (Charles) Dodgson.

Also...Jurassic Park 3D IMAX? SO AWESOME. The post-conversion was better than Titanic too; they're getting much better at the process.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Volante wrote: Incidentally, Lewis Carroll was pretty fresh in my mind for a different reason: I saw Jurassic Park Sunday, and one of the throwaway characters is a Lewis Dodgson ("You shouldn't use my name." "Dodgson. We've got Dodgson here!! See? Nobody cares.") who was named after Lewis (Carroll) / (Charles) Dodgson.
Ha, Newman is so awesome in that movie. I also just learned that the scene you've quoted has become something of an internet meme:

kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

georgespelvin wrote:I guess kickerofelves will explain himself here later about how he missed FJ. My guess is pressure because any 19th Century literature question that includes some mathematical reference is Pavlovian for Carroll.
Sure. Your guess is as good as any I've got. :oops: I just blanked on it. 25 seconds of nothingnothingnothingnothingohshitdon'tleaveitblank... ;)

Total head slap and 'well, duh, of COURSE' on the reveal. Something I totally knew, just couldn't conjure up.

Ah well. An ugly win's still a win, and tomorrow's another day.

Thanks to all for the congrats!

-a.
whysinclair
Contributor

Post by whysinclair »

groovitude wrote:
whysinclair wrote:Found Final J easy tonight... guess none of the contestants are much into the films of Marilyn Manson.
... You're going to have to explain this one.
LOL! Phantasmagoria: The Visions of Lewis Carroll was a Marilyn Manson movie project... not particularly up on Manson facts but the Phantasmagoria/Lewis Carroll connection is pretty cemented for me ever since hearing of it. Possible it never actually came out though?
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Add me to the list of people who had a notably worse game than usual, playing along at home.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

bpmod wrote:
marpocky wrote:
So, I guess if the Hudson were being called for, the Mississippi wouldn't be "way off", and the Ohio would be downright close.
Depends on exactly what TOM is in the clue, but possibly. I think that's a bit broader though.

I don't think St. Lawrence was a good guess, but it was one of the "least bad" possible wrong ones. It's still a river associated with the Great Lakes. She might have just thought the St. Lawrence was the name given to a single river flowing between all the Great Lakes, rather than realizing the St. Lawrence, Niagara, Detroit, St. Clair, and St. Mary's are all distinct.
TomC4253
Valued Contributor

Post by TomC4253 »

Had no idea on FJ. How embarrassing would it have been if this were my game, blanking on FJ and having Alex say "Well Tom Carroll you should have known that!"
At least Carroll is my real name, unlike Lewis.
No, no, no! There's no crying in Jeopardy!
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TomC4253 wrote:Had no idea on FJ. How embarrassing would it have been if this were my game, blanking on FJ and having Alex say "Well Tom Carroll you should have known that!"
I went backwards from the math side, with "Dodgson -- now what was his pen name..." and beat my head for 20 secs before I hit Lewis Carroll.

And, like others, I had a hard time playing at home. Nearly every 50-50 question broke the wrong way.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TomC4253 wrote:Had no idea on FJ. How embarrassing would it have been if this were my game, blanking on FJ and having Alex say "Well Tom Carroll you should have known that!"
I went backwards from the math side, with "Dodgson -- now what was his pen name..." and beat my head for 20 secs before I hit Lewis Carroll.

And, like others, I had a hard time playing at home. Nearly every 50-50 question broke the wrong way.
I would think they'd give it to you if you wrote "Dodgson" (have they done similar (credited "Clemens" as a right answer for "Twain", for example?) For some reason, I thought of Carroll's real name first (mainly because that's what I associate more with the mathematics part, I don't know if he gained fame in the math world under his pen name), but figured I should write "Lewis Carroll" to be safe.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012