Wednesday, April 10, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

flyersfan68
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Re: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by flyersfan68 »

whysinclair wrote:
groovitude wrote:
whysinclair wrote:Found Final J easy tonight... guess none of the contestants are much into the films of Marilyn Manson.
... You're going to have to explain this one.
LOL! Phantasmagoria: The Visions of Lewis Carroll was a Marilyn Manson movie project... not particularly up on Manson facts but the Phantasmagoria/Lewis Carroll connection is pretty cemented for me ever since hearing of it. Possible it never actually came out though?
Actually, this helped me get the FJ as well. I'm a big fan of industrial metal, even if I don't particularly like that label. Marilyn Manson has allegedly been working on this film for the last decade, he's supposedly producing it and starting as Lewis Carroll.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote:This seemed like an awkward game with a lot of misses and TS's. Even though I tend more towards staying clam than negging, I got three of the same negs as Adam (NAFTA, life--figured out wife after life was wrong, Colt). Did get breech baby grand and miss is as good as a mile. Should have had third base metal. Figured out Pinter Pause from the context.

I'm actually 3 for 3 on FJ this week, but I was most confident on today's.

Congrats to Adam!
Absolutely! A bit of a shamble toward the finish line, but a win is a win is a win. Like several other boardies, I found this game equally a train wreck at home. I got stumped and negged, baited into making wrong responses and cowed into clamming when the only reasonable response turned out to be correct. That's the kind of thing that would make me fall apart if I were playing for real. So double-kudos to Adam for keeping his cool and slugging it out to the end.

Since it wasn't my money or reputation on the line, I'll admit I got a perverse giggle out of the Alphonse and Gaston routine between Adam and Karla.

"Adam, it is my pleasure to present you with a runaway."

"Oh, no, my dear Karla. It wouldn't be worth playing if you weren't in the game."

"No, no, I insist."

"No, no, I insist!" :lol:
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:Breech Baby Grand was an insta for me, probably because my mom was a breech baby. Born in 1943. In rural (*very* rural) Saskatchewan.
Probably just as well. Imagine the rude limericks if she'd been born in the capital.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

dhkendall wrote:I don't know if he gained fame in the math world under his pen name
According to his Wikipedia entry his math works were written under his real name, so, yes, they'd have to accept Dodgson.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote:I remember the other Lach Trash I got: "The Handmaid's Tale". That seems to come up in quiz bowl practice all the time, usually in the other direction.
I was yelling at the TV, "Name the only Margaret Atwood novel that you or anyone else has ever heard of!" I didn't know it was the answer. But it pretty much had to be.

Having typed that, I checked the Archive. Surprisingly, they once had a clue asking for the author of Atwood's novel Life before Man. Far more surprisingly, to me anyway, it wasn't a triple-stumper. Spotted only the title and the phrase "Torontonian feminist," a contestant rang in and got it right.

And that was only the $1600 clue. For $2000, they wanted a response to "Carol Shields of Illinois & Manitoba won the Pulitzer & the Governor General's Award for these 'diaries'". THAT was the triple-stumper.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

opusthepenguin wrote:"Name the only Margaret Atwood novel that you or anyone else has ever heard of!"
review of Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

"This is my first Atwood book. I had no real expectations, as I'd never read/ seen anything of hers. I saw bits and pieces of the movie The Handmaid's Tale, but never got around to reading it. Now I think I'll look for it here, if only to hope for a better ending than this one.

Oh, don't get me wrong. No question, this woman's got game, she can write. She sets the scene and sucks you in, wondering how all this came about. You can't help but dive in and keep on reading. Why is Snowman essentially alone? Why are the young humans so primitive and ignorant of everything? From end to end, Atwood keeps the hints just teasing enough for the reader to compel himself to see one more page, because surely that'll make things clearer.

And somehow, it does. Civilization reverts back to the stone age in a series of logical events. But every answer seems to bring up two more questions, until this literary chain reaction... goes dud in the denouement. And by that I mean, literally, the final pages. I had no problem with the revelation as to how everything came about. I was just a bit let down on the ultimate fate of our protagonist.

Go ahead- read the book- I do actually recommend it. Just don't be surprised if Snowman's final resolution causes a meltdown of expectations."
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

I read "Cat's Eye" by Margaret Atwood. This was before things like "Mean Girls". The characters start at 8 and grew into their teens. They were pretty cruel before sadistic kids became a common cultural trope.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:I remember the other Lach Trash I got: "The Handmaid's Tale". That seems to come up in quiz bowl practice all the time, usually in the other direction.
I was yelling at the TV, "Name the only Margaret Atwood novel that you or anyone else has ever heard of!"
Correction: "you or any other *American* have heard of". She's considered to be a literary treasure here in Canada (for some reason), so not only are we familiar with "The Handmaid's Tale", but other works such as "Alias Grace", "The Blind Assassin", and maybe even "The Edible Woman" are not unheard of up here.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

opusthepenguin wrote:
I was yelling at the TV, "Name the only Margaret Atwood novel that you or anyone else outside of Canada has ever heard of!" I didn't know it was the answer. But it pretty much had to be.
There. Fixed that for you.

Edited to add: I see DHK beat me to it.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Speaking as a representative American, I've read a half dozen of Margaret Atwood's novels, starting with The Edible Woman in a college lit class and including Handmaid's Tale. She's almost as diverse an author as Joyce Carol Oates. That question was an instaget for me.
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

opusthepenguin wrote:Since it wasn't my money or reputation on the line, I'll admit I got a perverse giggle out of the Alphonse and Gaston routine between Adam and Karla.

"Adam, it is my pleasure to present you with a runaway."

"Oh, no, my dear Karla. It wouldn't be worth playing if you weren't in the game."

"No, no, I insist."

"No, no, I insist!" :lol:
:lol:

:evil:

;)

-a.
MisterMe83
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by MisterMe83 »

I feel compelled to point out a passage near the end of Ken Jennings' book 'Maphead':

In Lewis Carroll's final novel, Sylvie and Bruno, a mysterious traveler called "Mein Herr" tells the two titular children that his faraway world has advanced the science of mapmaking well beyond our puny limits. He scoffs at the idea that the most detailed map available should be six inches to the mile. On his world, he boasts, "We very soon got six yards to the mile. Then we tried a hundred yards to the mile. And then came the grandest idea of all! We actually made a map of the country, on the scale of a mile to the mile!" But, he has to admit, this ultimate map has never even been spread out, because the farmers protested that it would block their crops' sunlight due to its amazing size.

I had literally just read this passage on Tuesday afternoon. What an absolutely wonderful coincidence!

--Ed
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

I went Goethe for FJ!: 19th-c-ish author/poet/polymath + "Theory of Colors"(-> science) + "Bruno" sounding vaguely Germanic.
(Although I see now there's no real mathematics per se in his scientific works).

Lewis Carroll a better fit in hindsight, not that that helped my foresight.

Best (personal) miss of the day:

The Weather Channel website has a section for allergy sufferers that lists "hot spots" for this stuff

Me: What is Sudafed?

(You know, to help meth addicts allergy sufferers find it since it's, like, getting so hard to find these days?? :lol: )

NHO "A miss is a good as a mile" - and don't even have a guess as to what it might mean. (Then again, I was well into adulthood before I finally figured out what "A stitch in time saves nine" meant. "What, 9's in danger? It's not 7 again, is it? Oh, it saves nine stitches"! Guess I missed that whole implied noun thing ... :roll:.)
alamble wrote:If you know anything at all about fantasy sports (other than they exist), you know that.
Well, I know that they exist. And .... well, that about sums it up, I guess.

(I was tempted to say "tailgating" as that was the only football + rotisserie connection that I could make, but I resisted.)
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jkbrat wrote:NHO "A miss is a good as a mile" - and don't even have a guess as to what it might mean.
Basically just means that if you miss it by a little or miss it by a mile, you still missed. You could also say, "Second place is the best loser." ;)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jkbrat wrote:(Then again, I was well into adulthood before I finally figured out what "A stitch in time saves nine" meant. "What, 9's in danger? It's not 7 again, is it? Oh, it saves nine stitches"! Guess I missed that whole implied noun thing ... :roll:.)
I never figured that one out, either. But it was more due to me hearing the term so rarely than anything else. I have heard "a miss is as good as a mile", but I don't think I had heard of any of the others in that category. (What were they again?)
jkbrat wrote:(I was tempted to say "tailgating" as that was the only football + rotisserie connection that I could make, but I resisted.)
I almost went that way, too.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

econgator wrote:
jkbrat wrote:NHO "A miss is a good as a mile" - and don't even have a guess as to what it might mean.
Basically just means that if you miss it by a little or miss it by a mile, you still missed. You could also say, "Second place is the best loser." ;)
Or the awful riddle: How many beauty pageant contestants would it take to stretch from New York to Philadelphia, a distance of 100 miles?
Answer: 100, because a miss is as good as a mile.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

jkbrat wrote:Best (personal) miss of the day:

The Weather Channel website has a section for allergy sufferers that lists "hot spots" for this stuff

Me: What is Sudafed?
I said allergens. I cannot believe that the weather channel's website lists hot spots for only one of the many allergens that affect people. I know that the Canadian equivalent lists others.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote:
Or "close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades."
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
econgator wrote:
Or "close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades."
Which I still say works if you substitute in my incorrect response of 'inch'. :)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

kickerofelves wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:Or "close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades."
Which I still say works if you substitute in my incorrect response of 'inch'. :)
Too bad the clue writers didn't merely substitute the correct word with a blank, otherwise "A _____" might have steered you away from responses beginning with vowels!