Friday, April 12, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Friday, April 12, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Again. Confidence. I have none. Less than none.
Yes, because the best way to gain confidence is to fail ... repeatedly ... and purposefully .. and to learn absolutely NOTHING from those failures.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TryphonTournesol wrote:TPH appears to have indicated that he immediately came up with Nobel Prize and then didn't write it down because it seemed too easy, which, I can't even.
You could repost this just about every day by changing out the correct FJ question.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:
Yes, because the best way to gain confidence is to fail ... repeatedly ... and purposefully .. and to learn absolutely NOTHING from those failures.
Then what do you want me to do? Go back to my older pattern of launching into every clue with total confidence, only to get bitten on the ass so hard that the teeth marks go all the way up to my ribcage?

Failing unintentionally again and again and again and again and again and again is what made me so un-confident in the first place, ya know.
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

ElendilPickle wrote:
ahirbhairav wrote:Katy Perry and Justin Bieber clues? And I thought Adam also did music as well? *gasp + facepalm = gacepalm*
Yes, Adam does music. I don't think Katy Perry's cleavage or Justin Bieber's hair qualifies as music.
But they're both singers. HA!
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

StrangerCoug wrote:Here's another poll option (yes, I know that this makes two I've offered this week): "I got Friday's FJ! right despite never having heard of Georges Charpak."
You're looking at a positive response rate of about 97 percent.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

This wrapped a 5-for-5 week on FJs for me, but honestly I feel that the writers spotted me two of the five with Impressionism and Nobel Prize.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Failing unintentionally again and again and again and again and again and again is what made me so un-confident in the first place, ya know.
Maybe you should just watch Friends reruns instead of Jeopardy! It would be much easier on your psyche.
TryphonTournesol
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by TryphonTournesol »

You're not on television. Real money is not at stake. And even if it were, you may as well write something down, since as has been pointed out A MILLION TIMES, writing down NOTHING guarantees you will get it wrong. But of course, you know this, don't you?
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
econgator wrote:
Then what do you want me to do? Go back to my older pattern of launching into every clue with total confidence, only to get bitten on the ass so hard that the teeth marks go all the way up to my ribcage?

YES!
eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

I did not get FJ. The answer was shouted out in the room very quickly, but I never would have thought of it.
Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

First 5/5 week! Woo hoo!
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

This was a big confidence-restoring game for me. Every other game has left me staring at the screen throughout, but I ran at least 2 categories (G+3 and 1812, the latter thanks to a lucky "Name a Canadian city" guess), ran both partially revealed categories (running Bible Fill in wouldn't have surprised me; running Hanoi would have, although with "alliterative Mongol leader" at $2000...), and did well in "Ape," Rich Man/Poor Man, and Authoress (despite not coming up with Louisa May Alcott and needing the rebound for Harper Lee).

As for FJ!, I quickly decided if it wasn't the Nobel Prize, I wasn't going to get it. Fortunately, it was, sparing me from an 0/5 week.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

NYCScribbler wrote:My husband and I performed synchronized facepalming at "Treaty of Versailles".
Nice to see you posting, Rebecca!

Excellent run for Adam. I hope you keep posting here, as well.

One thing I've been curious about. When you play a fourth game in a day, what do you do about wardrobe?

I believe this is the first time I've ever gone 5-for-5 on FJ in a week, though I got lucky on a couple of them. Got FS Key (not immediately but in time), goad, and Kublai Khan.

Matt would have felt silly if Adam had been the only one to get FJ right, but maybe he really, really liked the category.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I wonder if the TS on Kublai Khan was due to thinking of him as a Chinese rather than Mongol emperor? That's the way I was taught way back in school (yes, I know he was a Mongol who ruled China). Seeing Mongol in a clue leads me first to Genghis Khan, which didn't fit alliterative, so the contestants stopped there.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Excellent steely-eyed run by Adam... have enjoyed seeing you here on the board and on the game this week.

As a history geek, swept War of 1812...

And as others said, FJ was a gimmee.

I mean, what other prize would a physicist win? The UK Booker Prize for Literature? Baseball's Triple Crown? Edgar Award for Best Mystery Novel?
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

marpocky wrote:YES!
And then I'll have negative five-figure Coryats. Good deal.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Adam probably is in mourning at the moment, weighing his words before posting here because I'll bet that he regrets some of his negs, but when he finally arrives I'm curious about his emotions on FJ. I've never been on the show but I would think that the most sinking feeling is to not be in the lead, but be in striking distance, and then have the FJ clue be something ridiculously easy. In this case add that you then see the leader make a flumoxing wager that might have opened the door for you if the clue had more difficulty.

I spent the last 29 seconds of FJ like most of you, thinking "it CAN'T be that, I mean it can't be anything else, but this would be close to a correct response in the Stupid Answer category." Actually, while I'm at it, shouldn't that category be called "Stupid Questions"?

Perhaps our new champion really needs the money and figured "what the hell"? I suspect that if he continues wagering like that he won't be around long, although if you did know wagering strategy (unlike me other than the most basic), saw the game and then wound up having to play in the next game, would that blow up your head because you would not be sure what to expect?
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
jepjunkie

Post by jepjunkie »

I was in the audience for this episode and something to note from behind the scenes. Taping was stopped for at least 20-30 minutes for this episode because of some technical malfunction. I don't remember saying anything, all I know is that the tech crew came onto the set with a bunch of wires and were running back and forth testing stuff and many minutes later taping resumed.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

georgespelvin wrote:Perhaps our new champion really needs the money and figured "what the hell"? I suspect that if he continues wagering like that he won't be around long, although if you did know wagering strategy (unlike me other than the most basic), saw the game and then wound up having to play in the next game, would that blow up your head because you would not be sure what to expect?
If I'm not mistaken, Monday's challengers will not have seen Matt's wager because this was the last game of the Nov. 27-28 taping session. All they'll know is that he's a returning 1-day champion with beaucoup de bucks.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

There he goes again, informing the contestant that the Treaty of Versailles referred to WW1. Completely unnecessary. He is SO smart.