Monday, April 22, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, April 22, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:30 am

Placeholder for J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:30 am

Placeholder for DJ! Round

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, April 22, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Golf » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:36 pm

Obligatory Margaret Thatcher answer today.

And a lot of negs for no real good reason.

Not many sci-fi heroines on screen although was pretty sure Alex said "Alien" instead of "Aliens". The original was simply great, the sequel was good although in a totally different way.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:34 pm

Best Actress Oscar Nominations
Her nomination in 1987 was the first Best Actress nomination for a science fiction film.

Spoiler
Show
Who is Sigourney Weaver?

Michael Ellis: $12,900+$3,501=$16,401...now a 1-day champion with $16,401
Richard Hansen: $8,200+$4,701=$12,901
Judy Arginteanu: $3,200+$1,502=$4,702
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:05 pm

Golf wrote:Obligatory Margaret Thatcher answer today.
Wonder if there will be Sony board people complaining about running it now (combined with a quote about growing old and dying, if I'm not mistaken)

I don't think the clue that had the correct answer of Germany taking over Czechoslovakia in 1939 (I think it was "Breaking, Bad" $800, but not sure) isn't quite correct. In 1939, Germany took over what was left of what is now the Czech Republic, but some small territory of what was Czechoslovakia in 1938 still managed to live on outside of Germany (legally, at least, it was still a Nazi puppet state) as the Slovak Republic, which maintained its "independence" throughout the war and was never subsumed into Germany. So part of Czechoslovakia still lived on. Trouble is, the best answer for that question, "the Czech Republic" doesn't fit, as the Czech Republic isn't a country that "no longer exists today". I got what they were getting at, and guessed right, but it's a bit flawed if you ask me.

Two questions for the judges this time: "Animated Characters", $800: Alex gave the answer as "Bob Belcher", would just "Bob" have sufficed? (I know the show "Bob's Burgers", and have even seen an episode or two, but that's about it). "Safe", $2000: Would "safe passage" be OK? The word "passage" was in the clue, but that shouldn't necessarily discount it if everything else fits, should it?

Instaget FJ! Good thing, because I usually sweat bullets over Oscar FJs.

Any Monty Python fans in the house chuckle about the new champ's name?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:28 pm

J! wasn't doing much for me. I ran 3 Letter Words, but got only three others (first two in Breaking Bad, and $200 in Sports).

DJ! had a lot of low hanging fruit for me.

I got all but $400 in Sound — I wasn't expecting auditory clues, so the lack of TOM in the clue itself threw me off, and I couldn't shift back in time.

Jim Crow was my only get in Music History, and IMO the easiest by far in that category.

Easy 5/5 for me in Animated Characters. I can understand an older group not getting Bob's Burgers or Ben 10, but Penelope Pitstop or Poindexter?

(Also, I really like Bob's Burgers, so glad to see a clue on them.)

I also misread the National Park DD to say "4 letters" instead of "4 words".

Argh. "Um, that lady who was in Alien. What the hell is her name?" was as far as I got.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

groovitude
Valued Contributor

Post by groovitude » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:29 pm

Golf wrote:Not many sci-fi heroines on screen although was pretty sure Alex said "Alien" instead of "Aliens". The original was simply great, the sequel was good although in a totally different way.
He did. He also said that it spawned an excellent series; when he did, I started cursing my luck, as I thought I'd gotten it wrong. Alien came out in 1979.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:30 pm

dhkendall wrote:Two questions for the judges this time: "Animated Characters", $800: Alex gave the answer as "Bob Belcher", would just "Bob" have sufficed? (I know the show "Bob's Burgers", and have even seen an episode or two, but that's about it). "Safe", $2000: Would "safe passage" be OK? The word "passage" was in the clue, but that shouldn't necessarily discount it if everything else fits, should it?
Those were my responses, too. I'm counting them. :)
Instaget FJ! Good thing, because I usually sweat bullets over Oscar FJs.
Ditto, although when Alex went off about it spawning a great series, I thought I might not have it, as I know she didn't win anything for Alien (and it was a decade earlier).

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:33 pm

Spawning a series had me thinking that the movie spawned a TV series.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:36 pm

dhkendall wrote: Instaget FJ! Good thing, because I usually sweat bullets over Oscar FJs.
Same here. When I saw the category I was thinking "great...winners give me enough trouble, now they want a nominee!?", but this was easy, even though I'm surprised they nominated her (great movie, just wouldn't think the Oscars would notice).
groovitude wrote:
Golf wrote:Not many sci-fi heroines on screen although was pretty sure Alex said "Alien" instead of "Aliens". The original was simply great, the sequel was good although in a totally different way.
He did. He also said that it spawned an excellent series; when he did, I started cursing my luck, as I thought I'd gotten it wrong. Alien came out in 1979.
OK, good, I thought I was hearing things.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Jim Crow was my only get in Music History, and IMO the easiest by far in that category.

Easy 5/5 for me in Animated Characters. I can understand an older group not getting Bob's Burgers or Ben 10, but Penelope Pitstop or Poindexter?
I can't believe "Jim Crow" was even a DD.

OTOH, I've never heard of Penelope Pitstop in my life, and even after looking it up on Google, the image doesn't ring a bell. *shrug*

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:10 pm

I was going to say safe passage, but passage was in the clue and we were given safe, so I clammed. Never heard of the phrase they gave.

If Alex had done DeGaulle in a French accent, would he have gotten it? Would he still have thought a slave shack was in New England?

I was proud of getting Weaver, but then it was a triple get and I was less proud.

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:11 pm

FJ was an Instaget but, alas, only from reading today's New York Times. After last week's horrors in Boston and the pre-emption for breaking news that occurred every day, I was looking forward to a nice, quiet evening of "Jeopardy!" viewing....

...only to be faced with a debate for the two Democractic Senate primary candidates in Boston. Would rather stick a dull fork in my eyes than to suffer through that.

Quick question: one of my Facebook friends said an answer tonight should have been called wrong... the answer was "safety deposit box," which doesn't really exist... it's a "safe deposit box," true?
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:28 pm

Well, now we know what Barrett from the Teen Tournament will look like in about 10 years.

FJ was pretty much an instaget, though the date almost threw me off. I had forgotten that Aliens was released seven years after Alien.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:29 pm

BADuBois wrote:Quick question: one of my Facebook friends said an answer tonight should have been called wrong... the answer was "safety deposit box," which doesn't really exist... it's a "safe deposit box," true?
Looks like they may be called "safety deposit boxes" across the pond.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:03 pm

econgator wrote:
BADuBois wrote:Quick question: one of my Facebook friends said an answer tonight should have been called wrong... the answer was "safety deposit box," which doesn't really exist... it's a "safe deposit box," true?
Looks like they may be called "safety deposit boxes" across the pond.
I think they're pretty commonly referred to as such, even if it isn't necessarily the correct term.
dhkendall wrote: Two questions for the judges this time: "Animated Characters", $800: Alex gave the answer as "Bob Belcher", would just "Bob" have sufficed? (I know the show "Bob's Burgers", and have even seen an episode or two, but that's about it). "Safe", $2000: Would "safe passage" be OK? The word "passage" was in the clue, but that shouldn't necessarily discount it if everything else fits, should it?
I'm a regular viewer of Bob's Burgers and was still drawing a blank on the last name, but for TV characters, first names are usually enough, so I'm pretty sure Bob would have been accepted. Oddly enough, in a rerun that just aired last night, one of the restaurant's regular patrons was confused, because he had always though that Bob's last name was actually Bob Burgers. You know, Bob Burgers, owner of Bob's Burgers.
Golf wrote: Not many sci-fi heroines on screen although was pretty sure Alex said "Alien" instead of "Aliens".
What? You mean Nichelle Nichols (Lt. Uhura) didn't get nominated for Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home? It's pretty tough to even come up with any decent guesses for this one if you didn't think of Sigourney Weaver. Kelly McGillis from Top Gun? I don't think that's classified as sci-fi, though I'm sure there are some unreal bits. (the volleyball scenes?) Lea Thompson from Back to the Future? One year too late. Carrie Fisher I suppose would be the most likely wrong guess, being just 3 years removed from Return of the Jedi. Maybe Margot Kidder, as this would have been between Superman III and Superman IV, though superhero films are not generally classified as sci-fi, I don't think.

After visiting IMDB, I can come up with Geena Davis for The Fly, Darryl Hannah for The Clan of the Cave Bear, Ally Sheedy for Short Circuit, and...that's about it for potential Oscar nominations from 1986 sci-fi films.

While clearly Alex gave the wrong film title, Alien instead of Aliens, I suppose you could make an argument that he wasn't totally wrong on the "spawned a series" line, as from 1979 to 1986, Alien was a standalone film, and only after the release of Aliens did it become a film series. It's sneaky, but I've made less inane arguments in order to avoid being wrong before.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:26 pm

jeff6286 wrote:It's pretty tough to even come up with any decent guesses for this one if you didn't think of Sigourney Weaver. Kelly McGillis from Top Gun? I don't think that's classified as sci-fi, though I'm sure there are some unreal bits. (the volleyball scenes?) Lea Thompson from Back to the Future? One year too late. Carrie Fisher I suppose would be the most likely wrong guess, being just 3 years removed from Return of the Jedi. Maybe Margot Kidder, as this would have been between Superman III and Superman IV, though superhero films are not generally classified as sci-fi, I don't think.

After visiting IMDB, I can come up with Geena Davis for The Fly, Darryl Hannah for The Clan of the Cave Bear, Ally Sheedy for Short Circuit, and...that's about it for potential Oscar nominations from 1986 sci-fi films.
Yeah, I drew a blank trying to think of alternatives, since for all the movies I could think of (Cocoon briefly came to mind), I was sure they were from the wrong year.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:35 pm

Well, I may as well share my embarrassing wrong answer.

I thought of Star Trek films, tried to think of other films, and just came up blank.

I wonder if it would have helped if I had realized a "1987 nomination" would be for a film that came out in 1986?

I didn't expect this to be correct, but, grasping at straws, I wrote down something.

I wrote down "Who is Helen Hunt?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_X_(1987_film)

(I knew Hunt probably had been nominated for an Oscar, but also very likely not for that particular film.)

thenextofken

Post by thenextofken » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:49 pm

Gotta agree with TPH--Jim Crow belonged much closer to the top of the board.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:53 pm

As soon as he said "spawned a series", I was dead certain that Alien(s) had to be wrong. I thought he meant TV series, so after the Think music, I was wondering if it was someone from Highlander. But then the year is off.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:59 pm

The only other possibility that immediately came to mind was Linda Hamilton, though I didn't know exactly when Terminator came out (and now I see it was a couple of years too early). I went with Weaver solely on what I thought was probably the stronger performance.