Thursday, April 25, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 25, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6594, 2013-04-25

CONTESTANTS
George McAleese, a political researcher from Washington, D.C.
Amanda Steadman, a director of underwriting policy from Winnipeg, Manitoba
Andy Hermann, a website producer from Los Angeles, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $27,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny.
Thank you, ladies and gentlemen.
A lot of one-day champions
recently on Jeopardy!
But the good news
is that those one-day champions
are earning a lot of money.
Case in point,
Andy --$27,000.
Amanda and George would love
to replace him as champion.
Let's see if it works out
for either one of you.
Good luck to all three.
Here comes the Jeopardy! round,
and here are the categories.
First off...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NOAH'S ARC (2/5)
GREEN WITH NON-ENVY (5/5)
HOME LAND (2/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS (5/5)
LET'S GOLF! (5/5)
HERE'S YOUR T OFF TIME (1/2) (Alex: Each correct response in that category will be two words.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Andy: 9 R, 2 W
George: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W
Amanda: 3 R (including 1 DD), 3 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Amanda found the Daily Double on the 14th clue. Andy had $2,400, Amanda had $200, and George was at $2,200. Amanda wagered $1,000.

HOME LAND $800: The warriors seen here
(Alex: [*], yes indeed, the Terracotta warriors from Xi'an.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Andy: $2,400
George: $2,200
Amanda: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: George McAleese is a political researcher, a lawyer, also?

George: Yes.

Alex: But your parents --
both parents are doctors.

George: They are doctors.

Alex: How did that happen?
How did it come about
that you wound up in law?

George: Uh, well, I started, uh, doing it
while I was in college
and really liked it,
but they had always told me --
you know, when I told them,
"Oh, I'm thinking
about going to medical school,"
they always said,
"No, branch out.
Try your own thing,"
um, until the day I came home
and told them,
"Guess what --
I'm going to law school."
Their response was, "Medical school's
a good option for you." So...

Alex: Well, you know,
you could please them to no end
by getting
a medical degree also and specializing in
medical law.

George: That's what my mom told me when
I graduated from law school.

Alex: [ laughing ] Okay.

Alex: Amanda Steadman,
director of underwriting policy
from Winnipeg, Manitoba.
And found a great excuse
for missing work.
What was that?

Amanda: Well, a couple of years ago,
I went on a dream trip
of a lifetime to Italy.
And while I was there,
the Icelandic volcano blew.
And so I ended up
staying an extra four days.
So I had to phone my boss
to say,
"You know,
I won't be at work on Monday."
And he couldn't
sort of figure this out.
And I had to just say,
"Icelandic volcano."

Alex: Good.
That explained it all.

Alex: Andy Hermann
is our champion.
He and his wife--we talk about this
quite often on the program, how people got together--how the guy proposed
to his future bride.
You two were married
at an unusual place.

Andy:
We got married at a zoo.

Alex: Why?

Andy: My wife saw a picture
on the zoo website
of a couple in their
wedding attire feeding giraffes,
and, uh, that sealed the deal.

Alex: [ laughs ]
So did you get married
with giraffes nearby?
Or other animals?

Andy: There were giraffes
and lions
and all sorts
of other animals nearby.
And then for our honeymoon,
just to continue the theme,
we went on a safari.

Alex: Good for you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HOME LAND $200: Alexanderplatz, seen here
(George: What is Canada?)
(Andy: What is Berlin?)
(Alex: We're going for homeland, not city, and the homeland is [*].)

HOME LAND $400: The Kaaba
(Amanda: What is Baghdad?)
(Alex: Amanda, you gave me a city again, and we want the country. The country is [*].)

HOME LAND $1000: Paricutin volcano

NOAH'S ARC $400: Noah peaks in Genesis 6:8-9, which describes him as just, perfect & finding this "in the eyes of" the Lord

NOAH'S ARC $800: Things start to go sour for Noah in Genesis 9:20; every job is open to him, & he chooses to plant these
(George: What are lemon trees?)

NOAH'S ARC $1000: Noah hits bottom when he's passed out naked & Ham has to tell these 2 brothers to cover up their father

HERE'S YOUR T OFF TIME $800: A racehorse rest area runs off a "T" to transform into a weasel-like mammal
[End-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Andy: $4,400
George: $4,000
Amanda: $1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, April 25, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE CONFEDERATE STATES OF AMERICA (5/5)
LITERARY SECOND BANANAS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ACTORS WHO SING (5/5)
WHAT'S YOUR TECHNIQUE? (4/5)
THE FAST & THE FURRIEST (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
OUT ON A "LIM" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Andy: 11 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
George: 9 R, 0 W
Amanda: 7 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andy snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Andy had $6,400, Amanda had $1,400, and George was at $4,000. Andy wagered $2,000.

LITERARY SECOND BANANAS $1600: In the "Iliad", Patroclus is the bosom companion of this fierce Greek warrior
(Who is Ajax?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Amanda who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Andy had $8,400, Amanda had $5,800, and George was at $12,000. Amanda wagered $3,000.

THE FAST & THE FURRIEST $1600: Check out the grace of a Thomson's this type of antelope, but do it quickly; it can hit 50 miles per hour

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE FAST & THE FURRIEST $2000: Go forward, move ahead, try to detect this 7-letter hound that can run 35 mph, it's not too late...it's this hound, good
(Alex: And the hound is the [*]. The lyrics were sort of like Devo's "Whip It.")

WHAT'S YOUR TECHNIQUE? $1600: The flowers are piled on top of each other in moribana, a style of this classical art of Japanese flower arranging

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
George: $14,800
Andy: $13,600
Amanda: $11,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TV SPIN-OFFS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
George: Wager $12,401 to cover Andy.
Andy: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Amanda, hoping that you give the correct response and George doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $8,801 to cover Amanda's doubled score, but no more than $11,200 if you want to top George on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $2,399 and win if both George and Amanda miss Final.
Amanda: You ought to try wagering between $2,401 and $6,400. This will top a $0 wager by Andy while still beating George and Andy on the Triple Stumper (should George wager to cover Andy's doubled score and Andy wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Premiering in 1993, this show lasted 11 seasons, like its predecessor show; the 2 were set nearly 2,500 miles apart

FINAL SCORES
Amanda: $11,200 + $5,000 = $16,200 (What is Frasier?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Andy: $13,600 + $8,801 = $22,401 (What is Frasier?) (2nd place: $2,000)
George: $14,800 + $12,401 = $27,201 (What was Frasier?) (New champion: $27,201)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Andy: $15,600, 20 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
George: $14,800, 17 R, 2 W
Amanda: $9,600, 10 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $40,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Andy: 21/59 = .356
George: 18/58 = .310
Amanda: 11/60 = .183
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
LET'S GOLF! $400: You can see why this animal term is used to describe the type of hole seen here

PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS $1000: The $270 prix fixe menu can really clean you out at Thomas Keller's Napa valley restaurant called "French" this
(Amanda: What is linen?)

NOAH'S ARC $200: The studly Noah is introduced begetting sons as a quincentenarian, a man of this age
(Amanda: What is 150?)
(Andy: What is 50?)

ACTORS WHO SING $800: This Oscar-winning actor released a self-tiltled album in 2011

WHAT'S YOUR TECHNIQUE? $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents the clue in front of a television monitor.)A single moving image is suddenly held persistently in this film technique

CORRECT RESPONSES
China
Germany
Saudi Arabia
Mexico
grace
grapes
Shem and Japheth
stable & sable
Achilles
gazelle
whippet
Ikebana
Frasier
dogleg
The French Laundry
Jeff Bridges
freeze (frame)
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

TV Spin-Offs
Premiering in 1993, this show lasted 11 seasons, like its predecessor show; the 2 were set nearly 2,500 miles apart.

Spoiler
What is Frasier?

George McAleese: $14,800+$12,401=$27,201...now a 1-day champion with $27,201
Andy Hermann: $13,600+$8,801=$22,401
Amanda Steadman: $11,200+$5,000=$16,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

I thought Andy should have been negged for his butchered pronunciation of "Poirot" (it sounded like he said "Poura") but I guess the judges cut him some slack.

I precalled the correct FJ response.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Wow, whoever mentioned in yesterday's thread that tonight's FJ was easy, they weren't kidding. Instaget before he finished reading the clue, and it still would've been easy with half as many hints.

Did Alex explain that Home Land category when it was revealed? I'm not complaining about them negging Berlin, but it still seems kinda mean to do so before eplaining that they wanted the country.
DWS wrote:I thought Andy should have been negged for his butchered pronunciation of "Poirot" (it sounded like he said "Poura") but I guess the judges cut him some slack.

As long as it doesn't change the spelling, they can butcher it all they like. If the judges can kinda sorta see how that word could be (mis)pronounced that way, they'll give it to you.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

xxaaaxx wrote:
DWS wrote:I thought Andy should have been negged for his butchered pronunciation of "Poirot" (it sounded like he said "Poura") but I guess the judges cut him some slack.

As long as it doesn't change the spelling, they can butcher it all they like. If the judges can kinda sorta see how that word could be (mis)pronounced that way, they'll give it to you.
In what word would you find 'ot' sounding like 'ah'?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

I literally precalled every single spin off in television history, except the FJ one. I just could not come up with it when faced with the question. I was stuck on trying to think of one that I missed that fit the clue.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

bpmod wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:

Brian
I didn't say it had to follow the pronunciation rules of any known language. "Hmm, he knows the 'T' is silent, but he pronouced the 'o' like 'ah'...yeah, that vowel can make that sound, close enough". The judges are very generous.
davey

Post by davey »

bpmod wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:

Brian
"Rot," for one...Players are not required to know the pronunciation rules of other languages. He was properly credited, but I was surprised that Alex didn't correct him.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Wow, whoever mentioned in yesterday's thread that tonight's FJ was easy, they weren't kidding. Instaget before he finished reading the clue, and it still would've been easy with half as many hints.
We didn't own a TV during most of the Cheers/Frasier era. I might have come up with it with a little more time to think, but neither show was really on my radar.

My dad is having increasingly difficult physical problems, so I recorded tonight's show and will watch later.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

davey wrote:
bpmod wrote:In what word would you find 'ot' sounding like 'ah'?

Brian
"Rot," for one...Players are not required to know the pronunciation rules of other languages. He was properly credited, but I was surprised that Alex didn't correct him.
I have never heard that word. Definition?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
davey

Post by davey »

bpmod wrote:
davey wrote:
bpmod wrote:In what word would you find 'ot' sounding like 'ah'?

Brian
I have never heard that word. Definition?

Brian
Nonsense, as in "His pretending not to understand was a lot of rot..." It's a British usage, so they pronounce the t...When it concludes a Belgian name on Jeopardy, that's optional... ;)
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Aaaahhhhh.... nothing quite like the pleasure of watching "Jeopardy!" two nights in a row without pre-emption... such sweet, sweet bliss.

A very fun game and it was interesting to see how the scores tightened up towards the end. I --- and I'm sure others --- were told on taping day that Alex likes exciting, high-scoring games, and that was certainly the case tonight.

Swept the Confederate States of America and stunned both myself and the missus by getting most of the golf questions.

Home Land was just a bit tricky, and I was surprised that even after Alex explained that you needed the host country, the woman contestant went ahead and gave Baghdad as an answer. Ouch!
eureka wrote:I literally precalled every single spin off in television history, except the FJ one. I just could not come up with it when faced with the question. I was stuck on trying to think of one that I missed that fit the clue.
The same here. Had a serious brain cramp on this one. But the missus nailed it within seconds.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

FJ was an an instaget for me.

Did I miss something or did Alex not fully explain the T category? All I heard was it was two words. On the Home Land category, after his pause before negging Berlin, I knew it was Germany.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I should've gotten T Off for $800, but "stable" just wasn't coming. So I tried the other way and guessed totter/otter just to say something, because I didn't want to miss a mustelid-related clue. Derp.

Any reason I should know "Grace" or "grapes" in that Noah category?

Hugh Laurie was yet another one of those things I should've gotten right away, but it had just fallen out of my head somehow.

I had no idea on Whippet, and clammed on Limit, thus keeping me at 4/5 in those categories. Apparently dogs are a weak spot in my otherwise solid animal knowledge.

FJ! took me a few seconds, but I finally got it. East coast/west coast, one's a spin-off… oh, Frasier!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote:On the Home Land category, after his pause before negging Berlin, I knew it was Germany.
I thought they were going to get their money back on those misses. It was just plain bogus to not explain that category beforehand.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

alietr wrote:
Bamaman wrote:On the Home Land category, after his pause before negging Berlin, I knew it was Germany.
I thought they were going to get their money back on those misses. It was just plain bogus to not explain that category beforehand.
"But we said home LAND, not home CITY". Whatever, Alex. Just very poor writing for the first round categories. All you have to do is either call the category "Name the Country", or have Alex tell the players to give the country. It's not that hard. And the "T" category could have simply been called "Drop a T" or something like that, with the added information that they need two words for each response. Giving it the stupid golf-themed name just because it was next to a golf category was entirely pointless.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alietr wrote:
+1. I also think the "T" category should have been explained, even though I figured it out as soon as he said it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Any reason I should know "Grace" or "grapes" in that Noah category?
Well, they quoted chapter and verse on grace, though I said favor. For grapes, I knew the story about him getting drunk, so I figured he must have grown grapes.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

That often happens with foreign words and names. What is inexcusable is that Andy escaped the required punishment. Alex did not repeat the name with exaggeratedly correct pronunciation.