Monday, April 29, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: Monday, April 29, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Paucle »

TomC4253 wrote:Yes! Very good catch. I would never have remembered the title or the cast. And the story was written by Rod Serling!
47 years ago, which would have made me 11+ years old.
No wonder I couldn't remember too much about it!
Interesting premise, but dangerous place to divert to. Not much margin for error. Santa Fe would've been much safer.

As to FJ, isn't "5280" a Pavlovian digit sequence? 714, 314, 29028, perhaps 93000000 and 1600? (I must be missing other obvious ones.)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Paucle wrote:
TomC4253 wrote:Yes! Very good catch. I would never have remembered the title or the cast. And the story was written by Rod Serling!
47 years ago, which would have made me 11+ years old.
No wonder I couldn't remember too much about it!
Interesting premise, but dangerous place to divert to. Not much margin for error. Santa Fe would've been much safer.

As to FJ, isn't "5280" a Pavlovian digit sequence? 714, 314, 29028, perhaps 93000000 and 1600? (I must be missing other obvious ones.)
OK. Other than 1600 (and obviously 5280), none of those bring anything to mind for me.

Oh, wait! One of them does now that I look at them more closely.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

reddpen wrote:Just to spread the humility, I'm probably the only one who -- hearing Alex's "getting in the mood" voice at 200 in Sexiest Potpourri -- rang in with Barry White. At least I'm not the only one to neg with Border Patrol..
I can assure you that you are wrong on the first account, and I joined you on the second as well.

And if anyone is familiar with Franklyn Ajaye, he had a great routine about Barry White, the "Walrus of Love".
gjbrault

Post by gjbrault »

skullturf wrote:Furthermore, some people may have been thrown by the allusion to 1993. It wasn't really that crucial, and didn't need to be in the clue.
Count me in that group. My first thought was, "well, the Web came into existence around then". And then thought, "well, maybe that's the address for Microsoft's Redmond headquarters..." and so answered "Seattle".

G
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

reddpen wrote:That lens is a Fresnel, which was a new one on me (bet that wouldn't poll well, not that I'm asking).
That one I knew and it's from touring lighthouses. They always seem to mention what type of fresnel lens the lighthouse has.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Bamaman wrote:(BTW, Boston's zip in 02134).
While 02134 is indeed the ZIP Code for Zoom, Boston includes multiple codes. 02134 is within Boston, more precisely Watertown, a neighborhood west of downtown Beantown that was all over the news recently. Boston has too many to type:
In and out of the pool four times
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

MarkBarrett wrote:5280 = mile is one of those things from Merv Griffin telling the story of how he created the show.
Took me almost the whole 30 seconds to get there, but once I got the correct response, I thought of this story immediately.
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

Does anyone remember the phrasing of the Mercury astronaut clue? Did I mishear, or did they say there were six astronauts?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Woppy T wrote:Does anyone remember the phrasing of the Mercury astronaut clue? Did I mishear, or did they say there were six astronauts?
No, they said there were six Mercury flights, which there were. Slayton didn't go up until Apollo, IIRC.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woppy T wrote:Does anyone remember the phrasing of the Mercury astronaut clue? Did I mishear, or did they say there were six astronauts?
I forget the exact phrasing, but I think it was along the lines of 'Gordon Cooper made the sixth and final flight in this program.'
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Paucle wrote:As to FJ, isn't "5280" a Pavlovian digit sequence? 714, 314, 29028, perhaps 93000000 and 1600? (I must be missing other obvious ones.)
There is nothing tricky about 5280, pretty hilarious reading some of the discussion about this.

By the way, 29028 hasn't been accurate for a lot of years now.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Golf wrote:By the way, 29028 hasn't been accurate for a lot of years now.
True, and here's some interesting trivia for you: tomorrow marks the 50th anniversary of the first American ascent of Everest. Lou Whittaker (not to be confused with Detroit Tigers great Lou Whitaker) reached the summit on May 1st, 1963. The Seattle Times just did a piece on Lou and they mentioned the license plate on his car is "29 028." They did mention that this altitude figure is no longer considered correct.
http://seattletimes.com/html/pacificnw/ ... est14.html
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Paucle wrote:1600
I wonder why that would be more pavlovian than, let's see, 10, or 24.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

bpmod wrote:
Because too many things are 10 or 24.
Accurate about what?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm not sure I understand why people are discussing zip codes ... has anyone ever seen a zip code less than 10000 that didn't have the leading zero?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Paucle wrote:
bpmod wrote:
Because too many things are 10 or 24.
I suppose so. Around here, the number 24 is pavlovian for, not the PM's residence, but the big weekend AND what most people spend that weekend consuming.

Brian

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
True, and here's some interesting trivia for you: tomorrow marks the 50th anniversary of the first American ascent of Everest. Lou Whittaker (not to be confused with Detroit Tigers great Lou Whitaker) reached the summit on May 1st, 1963. The Seattle Times just did a piece on Lou and they mentioned the license plate on his car is "29 028." They did mention that this altitude figure is no longer considered correct.
http://seattletimes.com/html/pacificnw/ ... est14.html
While Lou Whittaker is a Northwest climbing icon, it was twin brother Jim who made the first American ascent of Everest, which (depending on your source) is either 29,029 or 29,035 feet tall, and rising.
In and out of the pool four times
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

reddpen wrote:While Lou Whittaker is a Northwest climbing icon, it was twin brother Jim who made the first American ascent of Everest
Well, duh, I linked the story and everything and still said Lou rather than Jim. Yes Jim Whittaker!
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

jeff6286 wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:
seaborgium wrote:But Los Angeles does have a district called the Miracle Mile! I tried to think of other famous Miles, since I didn't feel a district's magazine would be an entire city's magazine. But I managed to turn the mile vertical and had a response shortly after Alex finished reading.
There is the Magnificent Mile in Chicago. I only know that because we're planning a trip to Chicago and Milwaukee, plus a loop around parts of Wisconsin, in May.

Davey mentioned that Alex read 5280 as fifty-two eighty, and I think that is what threw me off.
If he had read it as "five two eight zero", I could see people being thrown, but I would think reading it as "fifty-two eighty" would be more helpful. "Five thousand two hundred eighty" is awfully clunky for a magazine title, and I can't see anyone ever saying it that way. For someone who went the zip code route, I could see them recognizing in hindsight that fifty-two eighty should have been a hint against going down that path, but I can understand not catching that in the moment. I bet a lot of people usually speed-read the clue ahead of Alex's reading, so they've already read it by the time Alex finishes, so his pronunciation of a particular word may not be noticed by a lot of viewers.
Not for me, sadly; it just made me think of a street address.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Dick Tracy was a film in 1990? And "creepy" was supposed to lead you there?!? Honestly, none of those clues were remotely accessible to me.
I was 1 of 5 on that category and was surprised that Dick Tracy was top box. Can't say I saw anything in the clue, either.
Creepy? You dare call me creepy?! You have just said goodbye to oxygen!
econgator wrote:
billy pilgrim wrote:I thought Larry was stalling- which seems a legit ploy to me.
It is when there is a reason to. There was no real reason to. Either one of them would have to have run the rest of the category to even have a shot.
So you're saying there's a chance!

If stalling is a legit tactic for some games, then it's a legit tactic for all games. If you start fudging the line, it makes people question what the hard and fast rule is...and we've got enough of that as it is :lol:
reddpen wrote: That lens is a Fresnel, which was a new one on me (bet that wouldn't poll well, not that I'm asking). The 's' is silent, not like in Fresno, which is not pronounced Fre-no', but maybe should be.
Fresnel, with the 's', is an accepted pronunciation for the lens now...likely due to all the English speakers unfamiliar with French's habit of not pronouncing half the letters in a word. (Not "accepted" for Fresnel the inventor, but allowable under the J! rule of 'only know the answer from its spelling')
soxfan99 wrote:
mrparadise wrote:Fifty two, 80... fifty two, eighty...fifty two, eighty. I got nuthin. Five thousand two hundred and eighty. Oh, right. I think there may be a lesson there.
I did the same thing. After time was up and Alex said "Five thousand..." I got it instantly. I initially looked at the year in the clue and went for Seattle, thinking of grunge. I then tried to connect 5280 to Seattle or music somehow. If I had ignored the year and first thought of what 5280 signifies, it would've been a lot easier.
Ditto. Focused too hard on 1993, not enough on 5280. Years are so often the TOM that I had no idea the other number was the key until after the music. Heck, I started thinking about Europe...Berlin popped into mind right at the end, and Prague would've been a great wrong answer based on the year (Czechoslovakia split in 1993).
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)