Monday, April 29, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Monday, April 29, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Thanks to bpmod for providing me with the first act. I went 0/5 in Revenge (thought 1818 was too early for Frankenstein) and Movie Makeup.

Should've gotten uppercase, but I couldn't get out of "on" territory in time. Surprised it was a TS.

Dick Tracy was a film in 1990? And "creepy" was supposed to lead you there?!? Honestly, none of those clues were remotely accessible to me.

Anyone noticed they used the Sexy Potpourri music instead of the J! theme for the second break?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Dick Tracy was a film in 1990? And "creepy" was supposed to lead you there?!? Honestly, none of those clues were remotely accessible to me.
I was 1 of 5 on that category and was surprised that Dick Tracy was top box. Can't say I saw anything in the clue, either.
ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Dick Tracy was a film in 1990? And "creepy" was supposed to lead you there?!? Honestly, none of those clues were remotely accessible to me.
I was 1 of 5 on that category and was surprised that Dick Tracy was top box. Can't say I saw anything in the clue, either.
I think something like "comic strip film" in the clue was supposed to lead us there.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

On the whole, I did okay in this game, but I was thrown by "Sexy Potpourri". I initially thought that there would be more of a "twist", like some kind of play on words (like, almost like a "Before and After" where one of the parts is "Barry White").

But no, it was just straight-up assorted trivia questions, that just happened to be read in a sexy voice for no reason.

I missed the first two, partly because of being momentarily confused by all that, but then got the next three.
Frank Hardy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Frank Hardy »

I like Alex's sexy voice. I hope that becomes a regular feature. ;)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Paucle wrote:Trying to guess who cursed louder when they only got one question in on that final category, me or Mark.
Ridiculously easy FJ.
I love the music of the era (although more 1981-1985), but lyrics are not my favorite way to deal with the material. As far as cursing I wasn't loud although I called Larry an old white-haired (expletive deleted). Glenn Kagan needs to crack the whip to get guys like that into shape to move things along. Larry could not have been stalling or trying to prevent his opponents from catching up as he had things well in hand even with the miss on the DD.

And that's another annoying thing about the guy. Science is a 7-Letter Word. Guess what? The correct response will have seven letters. Gastropod does not. It was like some of the nuances of the categories were lost on the guy. Has he not been a faithful viewer over the years?

Dick Tracy was first box for me as like Looper I was there on opening day. Year and actor was plenty.

5280 = mile is one of those things from Merv Griffin telling the story of how he created the show. Taking mile to be Denver was as quick as six letters could be written. To all who missed the clue, yes, you want to have that happen at home because it's the kind every friend, family and neighbor would claimed to have solve immediately if it cost you on the show.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

So I guess based upon the comments so far, this FJ was not a "you know it or you don't", but more of a "you'll get it immediately upon seeing 5,280, or you'll never get there". If the significance of the number didn't jump out at you right away, there were any number of incorrect routes you could take to try to come up with a decent guess, many of which have already been mentioned, but you were probably never going to find the right path.

Americans definitely could have an advantage over Canadians, simply due to the familiarity with the metric system up north, which as dhkendall mentioned, may mean that the number 5,280 doesn't quite have the same ingrained significance as it does to those who grew up with the mile as their primary form of long distance measurement.

While it would be pretty tough to measure, I wonder how much being a big sports fan would give someone an advantage on this clue. Any big football fan would likely know that for years, the Broncos, (and briefly the Rockies), played their home games at Mile High Stadium, and the Broncos' current home is known as Sports Authority Field at Mile HIgh, formerly Invesco Field at Mile High. Any time a Denver team is hosting an important game, in any of the 4 sports, the altitude factor is almost always mentioned, as the thin air can affect conditioning and often play a key part in the outcome of games. I also immediately thought of Dikembe Mutombo as I was reading the clue, as frequent sights at Denver Nuggets games in the 1990s were signs and t-shirts with the words "Mt. Mutombo: 5,287 feet". (Dikembe's 7 foot height added to the city's 5,280 elevation)

So while a non sports fan may be aware of the fact that Denver is approximately one mile above sea level, it may not be quite as Pavlovian as it would be for someone who has followed sports for years, and had the "Mile High" association with the city drilled into their head over and over and over...
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Or maybe it's Jimmy Buffett.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

jeff6286 wrote:So I guess based upon the comments so far, this FJ was not a "you know it or you don't", but more of a "you'll get it immediately upon seeing 5,280, or you'll never get there". If the significance of the number didn't jump out at you right away, there were any number of incorrect routes you could take to try to come up with a decent guess, many of which have already been mentioned, but you were probably never going to find the right path.
This seems to be the case. I made the 5280 = mile association immediately and said Denver, while my boyfriend didn't make that connection and couldn't come up with the right answer.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Furthermore, some people may have been thrown by the allusion to 1993. It wasn't really that crucial, and didn't need to be in the clue.

I mean, it's believable to me that a magazine about Denver would be more likely to be 20 years old than 60 years old, but it's not like the specificity of 1993 made the clue any easier.

I remember reading an FJ in the archive that threw me for several seconds:

FAMOUS LASTS: "In July 2003 the last old-style one of these rolled off an assembly line in Mexico, headed for a museum in Germany."

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3267

I was momentarily thrown, until I realized that of the two countries mentioned, Mexico and Germany, one of them is much much more relevant (and you can pretty much ignore the other one).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote:So I guess based upon the comments so far, this FJ was not a "you know it or you don't", but more of a "you'll get it immediately upon seeing 5,280, or you'll never get there"
I guess so. When I saw it I thought it would be an absolute slam dunk for everyone here. Apparently not!

This got me thinking. Do you think Denver has a strong lobby to keep the U.S. away from going to the metric system? :D
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

I thought Border Patrol was a fairly egregious neg bait for BP=Border Protection, and I'd be surprised if more of us hadn't answered the former than the latter. A little surprised to see the number of FJ misses here.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bomtr wrote:I thought Border Patrol was a fairly egregious neg bait for BP=Border Protection, and I'd be surprised if more of us hadn't answered the former than the latter.
I was about to say "patrol" too, but clammed. I agree that was a total trap clue.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bomtr wrote:I thought Border Patrol was a fairly egregious neg bait for BP=Border Protection, and I'd be surprised if more of us hadn't answered the former than the latter.
This should be a poll Q, Mark.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

I also said patrol.
davey

Post by davey »

jeff6286 wrote:So I guess based upon the comments so far, this FJ was not a "you know it or you don't", but more of a "you'll get it immediately upon seeing 5,280, or you'll never get there". ...
I feel certain that if I had seen and heard 5,280 I would have gotten it immediately - what we saw was 5280 and what we heard was 52-80. It may not quite make sense, but those didn't trigger anything. Instead I concentrated on the year and said L.A., thinking maybe the magazine was started for the Olympics 20 years ago. Yes, I should have known the L.A. Olympics was 30 years ago...
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

ZIP-a-dee-doo-dah

Post by OrangeSAM »

I don't think I've seen this posted yet, but if there was a ZIP code 05280, it would be in Vermont.

05201 is in Bennington.
OCSam
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

52801 is Davenoprt Iowa.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

davey wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:So I guess based upon the comments so far, this FJ was not a "you know it or you don't", but more of a "you'll get it immediately upon seeing 5,280, or you'll never get there". ...
I feel certain that if I had seen and heard 5,280 I would have gotten it immediately - what we saw was 5280 and what we heard was 52-80. It may not quite make sense, but those didn't trigger anything. Instead I concentrated on the year and said L.A., thinking maybe the magazine was started for the Olympics 20 years ago. Yes, I should have known the L.A. Olympics was 30 years ago...
Perhaps he wasn't trying to give it away with the pronunciation. I wonder how the magazine itself pronounces their name? "Fifty-two eighty"? "Five thousand, two hundred and eighty"? "Five two eight zero"?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote:
But Los Angeles does have a district called the Miracle Mile! I tried to think of other famous Miles, since I didn't feel a district's magazine would be an entire city's magazine. But I managed to turn the mile vertical and had a response shortly after Alex finished reading.