Monday, April 29, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: Monday, April 29, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by ElendilPickle »

seaborgium wrote:But Los Angeles does have a district called the Miracle Mile! I tried to think of other famous Miles, since I didn't feel a district's magazine would be an entire city's magazine. But I managed to turn the mile vertical and had a response shortly after Alex finished reading.
There is the Magnificent Mile in Chicago. I only know that because we're planning a trip to Chicago and Milwaukee, plus a loop around parts of Wisconsin, in May.

Davey mentioned that Alex read 5280 as fifty-two eighty, and I think that is what threw me off.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

ElendilPickle wrote:
seaborgium wrote:But Los Angeles does have a district called the Miracle Mile! I tried to think of other famous Miles, since I didn't feel a district's magazine would be an entire city's magazine. But I managed to turn the mile vertical and had a response shortly after Alex finished reading.
There is the Magnificent Mile in Chicago. I only know that because we're planning a trip to Chicago and Milwaukee, plus a loop around parts of Wisconsin, in May.

Davey mentioned that Alex read 5280 as fifty-two eighty, and I think that is what threw me off.
If he had read it as "five two eight zero", I could see people being thrown, but I would think reading it as "fifty-two eighty" would be more helpful. "Five thousand two hundred eighty" is awfully clunky for a magazine title, and I can't see anyone ever saying it that way. For someone who went the zip code route, I could see them recognizing in hindsight that fifty-two eighty should have been a hint against going down that path, but I can understand not catching that in the moment. I bet a lot of people usually speed-read the clue ahead of Alex's reading, so they've already read it by the time Alex finishes, so his pronunciation of a particular word may not be noticed by a lot of viewers.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Paucle wrote:Trying to guess who cursed louder when they only got one question in on that final category, me or Mark.
Ridiculously easy FJ.
I love the music of the era (although more 1981-1985), but lyrics are not my favorite way to deal with the material. As far as cursing I wasn't loud although I called Larry an old white-haired (expletive deleted). Glenn Kagan needs to crack the whip to get guys like that into shape to move things along. Larry could not have been stalling or trying to prevent his opponents from catching up as he had things well in hand even with the miss on the DD.

And that's another annoying thing about the guy. Science is a 7-Letter Word. Guess what? The correct response will have seven letters. Gastropod does not. It was like some of the nuances of the categories were lost on the guy. Has he not been a faithful viewer over the years?
Nothing personal against Larry, but quite a few contestants have been guilty of his two most annoying habits, taking all damn night to select a category, and forgetting the requirements of a category. Get those contestants the hell off the show, and start a 'Jeopardy! For Dummies' spinoff for them. We want clues, not 'Uuuuuhhhh...it's a...SEVEN-letter response, O-kaaaayyyy...whaaaaaat...iiiiis...'dog...gggg? :roll: '
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

I thought Larry was stalling- which seems a legit ploy to me.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Agggron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Agggron »

Well... I finally broke my string of 10+ FJ misses. :lol: For some reason, my mind went straight to Marathon, Greece, and I had to double check if the magazine pointed towards being in the US or not. Then while I was checking, I guess I realized I did the math wrong. :roll: Um, but yeah I think I just had the "mile high city" --> Denver association all prepared for me.
earendel

Post by earendel »

I managed to get FJ! with only a moment to spare. I heard "fifty-two eighty" and thought, "not enough numbers for a ZIP code, too many numbers for an area code...oh, yeah, 5280 feet in a mile, Mile HIgh City...Denver." As for Larry's slowness at the end, I wonder if he was worried that he might lose his lock game in a category that he might not have been comfortable with.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
TomC4253
Valued Contributor

Post by TomC4253 »

I was able to work out the FJ clue rather quickly, after first (as others here) thinking of a ZIP code.
Weird how the mind works, the first thing that came to me after getting "Denver" was a TV movie from probably 35 years ago. The name and the cast both escape me, but someone had planted a bomb on a commercial aircraft that would detonate if the plane tried to land. 90 minutes later the hero figured out that since the mechanism would be triggered by going to a lower altitude, they should divert to Denver because of it's elevation.
Anybody remember this?
No, no, no! There's no crying in Jeopardy!
kettledrum
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kettledrum »

So sad not to see more 1988 hits! I precalled being Rickrolled, but we'll never know.... I believe I would have done well in that category and my Coryat needs all the help it can get!

I also said Border Patrol. I thought it was really easy and it was also a $2000 clue. Those two items don't go together often for me, so I should have figured it was negbait!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

billy pilgrim wrote:I thought Larry was stalling- which seems a legit ploy to me.
I agree. Just like in sports. If you've got a lead going into the final minutes you try to run out the clock. Annoying, yes, but a perfectly sound strategy. The other two contestants just need to gain control of the board and then they can dictate the pace of game play.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

kettledrum wrote:So sad not to see more 1988 hits! I precalled being Rickrolled, but we'll never know.... I believe I would have done well in that category and my Coryat needs all the help it can get!

I also said Border Patrol. I thought it was really easy and it was also a $2000 clue. Those two items don't go together often for me, so I should have figured it was negbait!
This is pretty much my post word for word. I'm a child of the 80's and feel there is a distinct possibility I'm running the category. Though, I've been thinking about the song, "She Drives me crazy" from right in that time frame and I can't remember who sang it. English group, but I can't get the name.

Lowest Coryat score of the entire season last night, and to top it off. Like many, I didn't put 5280 and a mile together.
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

"Miracle Mile" -- a 1987 (or 1988) movie in which the main character receives a "call" that nuclear missiles are set to hit Los Angeles in a few hours & he tries
to get as many people as he can out of downtown to safety. :o
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

"Patrol" for me as well, but as I was saying it, it crossed my mind that "Protection" was another possibility, and a more likely one in the name of an agency.

Instaget FJ.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

[sony]I am outraged, OUTRAGED!, that they didn't give Kathy credit for her answer! After all, isn't there a saying "a miss is as good as a mile"?[/sony]

*rimshot*

Thank you! I'll be here all week! Don't forget to tip your waitress! (Hell, knock her right over!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Sherm wrote:This is pretty much my post word for word. I'm a child of the 80's and feel there is a distinct possibility I'm running the category. Though, I've been thinking about the song, "She Drives me crazy" from right in that time frame and I can't remember who sang it. English group, but I can't get the name.
I bet that's eating you up, isn't it? (Hint, hint.)

Add me to the list of people who really wanted to see all the clues in the Hits of 1988 category.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

billy pilgrim wrote:I thought Larry was stalling- which seems a legit ploy to me.
It is when there is a reason to. There was no real reason to. Either one of them would have to have run the rest of the category to even have a shot.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

skullturf wrote:I bet that's eating you up, isn't it? (Hint, hint.)
Not to be confused with the song "I Eat Cannibals." :D

My pre-call for that category was "Sweet Child O' Mine" but I guess we'll never know...
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

skullturf wrote:
Sherm wrote:This is pretty much my post word for word. I'm a child of the 80's and feel there is a distinct possibility I'm running the category. Though, I've been thinking about the song, "She Drives me crazy" from right in that time frame and I can't remember who sang it. English group, but I can't get the name.

Add me to the list of people who really wanted to see all the clues in the Hits of 1988 category.
FYI it's FYC

and for Tom's movie from 35 years ago could it be The Doomsday Flight from 47 years ago? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060333/
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Sherm wrote: This is pretty much my post word for word. I'm a child of the 80's and feel there is a distinct possibility I'm running the category. Though, I've been thinking about the song, "She Drives me crazy" from right in that time frame and I can't remember who sang it. English group, but I can't get the name.
Fine Young Cannibals, but it hit #1 in 1989 so wouldn't be in that category. I precalled the correct response on the 12/10/2009 1989 number 1 hits category in FJ! as We didn't Start the Fire as the correct response, and it was.
TomC4253
Valued Contributor

Post by TomC4253 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
skullturf wrote:

FYI it's FYC

and for Tom's movie from 35 years ago could it be The Doomsday Flight from 47 years ago? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060333/
Yes! Very good catch. I would never have remembered the title or the cast. And the story was written by Rod Serling!
47 years ago, which would have made me 11+ years old.
No wonder I couldn't remember too much about it!
No, no, no! There's no crying in Jeopardy!
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Austin Powers wrote:
alietr wrote:I'm shocked people didn't get this. I thought (no offense) it was Kids' Week material (but then again I was only 2/5 last week).

Favorite 5280 fun fact: the upper deck of Coors Field seats are all dark green, except for the 20th row, which is purple, because they are at an altitude of 5,280'.
Hey I'm surprised I didn't get it, too.
Me three. Since you clearly went zooming right past the obvious, I'm curious where you ended up.

Just to spread the humility, I'm probably the only one who -- hearing Alex's "getting in the mood" voice at 200 in Sexiest Potpourri -- rang in with Barry White. At least I'm not the only one to neg with Border Patrol.

That lens is a Fresnel, which was a new one on me (bet that wouldn't poll well, not that I'm asking). The 's' is silent, not like in Fresno, which is not pronounced Fre-no', but maybe should be.

Could not recall the Mariel boatlift even after the Hemingway sisters came up last week.
In and out of the pool four times