Monday, April 29, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Monday, April 29, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bpmod » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:14 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Larry was really really really really sloooooooooooow in picking clues. It must've taken him a good 15 seconds to spit out 1988 Lyrics for $400.
This is the (main) reason that I think they should do away with the time's up signal and simply edit out any extra stuff in post production. It is ridiculously unfair to the trailing players when the leader can stall like that guaranteeing that they will have no chance to catch up.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:15 pm

lisa0012 wrote:Why is it that whenever I get really excited about a category the contestants avoid it like the plague?
Same here. I was precalling George Michael, INXS, UB40, Poison, basically these songs. And time ran out!
I wonder....if...it...had...anything ...to do with...Larry's...clue selection...speed?

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:17 pm

BADuBois wrote:Did anybody else think Alex trying to sound sexy during Sexy Potpourri was just... odd?
Never mind, I caught a preview of today's episode (since I don't mind getting spoiled on results, only responses, I'm more cool with the previews than some of y'all) and they showed Alex doing the sexy read, only looking down at his podium obviously reading it from the card (well, just part of the clue, the "turn the lights down", "ooo, baby", those parts). Not only did that make it ... "odd"er, but also that was the ony time I've seen what Alex does when the clue is being read by him; for someone who likes seeing all the behind the scenes stuff at J!, I appreciated that!
BADuBois wrote:Oh my, crashed and burned on FJ. For some reason I thought the number referred to a Zip Code with the first zero dropped, and once my mind settled on that piece of nonsense, I did a wild ass guess of San Francisco. D'oh!
Great minds, it seems. Although< I think your excuse is that you live in a part of the country where that could reasonably be a ZIP code with the first digit dropped, I don't, so I don't know why I thought that first.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:18 pm

I'm shocked people didn't get this. I thought (no offense) it was Kids' Week material (but then again I was only 2/5 last week).

Favorite 5280 fun fact: the upper deck of Coors Field seats are all dark green, except for the 20th row, which is purple, because they are at an altitude of 5,280'.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:19 pm

alietr wrote:I'm shocked people didn't get this. I thought (no offense) it was Kids' Week material (but then again I was only 2/5 last week).

Favorite 5280 fun fact: the upper deck of Coors Field seats are all dark green, except for the 20th row, which is purple, because they are at an altitude of 5,280'.
Fun fact indeed! Are seats in the 20th row more expensive because of the extra "prestige" that comes with?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:25 pm

Alex: Correct! pick again.

Larry: Well there is still a whole category in play, so let's see... I think maybe, no, wait, I'll take... Ummmm what'll it be? There is so much of that one category left... is there still time on the clock? OK, then. How about "Lyrics"... that is to say, "1988 song lyrics", you know, that category with the lyrics of songs from 1988, "1988 Song lyrics". No. That's not the whole category name. There's more to it... I think I've got it now... "Song lyrics from 1988" Sorry, "1988 Number One Hit Lyrics" for, oh gee now, there are 5 dollar values there. Let's see, should I start at the top? There is probably less than a minute left, seeing as Alex told us a few minutes ago that there was less than a minute, so, oh what the heck, four hundred dollars please and thank you. With a cherry on top.

ding ding.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

ChemTeacher

Post by ChemTeacher » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:26 pm

In my opinion, a more interesting TOM for FJ would have been something like this (but that's just my opinion):

Category: U.S. STATE NICKNAMES

Clue: It's the year that Colorado was admitted to the U.S.
Spoiler
Show
It's the Centennial State, so the year is 1876

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:30 pm

alietr wrote:I'm shocked people didn't get this. I thought (no offense) it was Kids' Week material (but then again I was only 2/5 last week).

Hey I'm surprised I didn't get it, too.

StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:33 pm

A bit slow on the button (didn't help that I was in the kitchen filling up ice trays and couldn't hear the title clearly), but I did get FJ! once I realized the significance of the number.
ChemTeacher wrote:In my opinion, a more interesting TOM for FJ would have been something like this (but that's just my opinion):

Spoiler
Show
I would feel mislead by the category, expecting to be asked to come up with the nickname as the response rather than just to help me out.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:34 pm

bpmod wrote:Alex: Correct! pick again.

Larry: Well there is still a whole category in play, so let's see... I think maybe, no, wait, I'll take... Ummmm what'll it be? There is so much of that one category left... is there still time on the clock? OK, then. How about "Lyrics"... that is to say, "1988 song lyrics", you know, that category with the lyrics of songs from 1988, "1988 Song lyrics". No. That's not the whole category name. There's more to it... I think I've got it now... "Song lyrics from 1988" Sorry, "1988 Number One Hit Lyrics" for, oh gee now, there are 5 dollar values there. Let's see, should I start at the top? There is probably less than a minute left, seeing as Alex told us a few minutes ago that there was less than a minute, so, oh what the heck, four hundred dollars please and thank you. With a cherry on top.

ding ding.

Brian
I'm fine with it when it actually matters -- like you're trying to protect a slim lead or a near-lock, but that didn't apply here. He should have just picked.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:36 pm

Should have included a pictures:

ChemTeacher

Post by ChemTeacher » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:37 pm

StrangerCoug wrote:
ChemTeacher wrote:In my opinion, a more interesting TOM for FJ would have been something like this (but that's just my opinion):

Spoiler
Show
I would feel mislead by the category, expecting to be asked to come up with the nickname as the response rather than just to help me out.
Yeah, I probably should have written something like, "Based on its state nickname, Colorado was admitted to the U.S. during this year..." but I didn't want the clue to make it too obvious.
Last edited by ChemTeacher on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:38 pm

I'm rooting against the dude who won because of his slow play. Someone HAS to win so unless that person is a friend it is usually meaningless to me. But avoiding a lyrics category that I should run? Start packing!

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:41 pm

BADuBois wrote:Did anybody else think Alex trying to sound sexy during Sexy Potpourri was just... odd?

Doctor J, I'm sure your opinion would be valued in this... ;)
As long as it works for Mrs. Trebek, who am I to judge?
Oh my, crashed and burned on FJ. For some reason I thought the number referred to a Zip Code with the first zero dropped, and once my mind settled on that piece of nonsense, I did a wild ass guess of San Francisco. D'oh!
That was my guess, too; I was thinking of Dave Eggers' writing center, 826 Valencia. I didn't even consider Denver, even though my city is at the same elevation.

I really wanted them to get to the 1988 song lyrics category.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:41 pm

I was trying to think of some highway that related to 5280 and then tried to decide what 1993 had to do with anything. Wrote down San Diego just to have some random city that might be right. Alex's comments right after the music clicked in for me, but too little, too late. (BTW, Boston's zip in 02134).

StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:42 pm

ChemTeacher wrote:
StrangerCoug wrote:

Spoiler
Show
Yeah, I probably should have written something like, "Based on its state nickname, Colorado was admitted to the U.S. during this year..." but I didn't want the clue to make it too obvious.
How would something along the lines of "This state got its nickname from the year it was admitted to the Union" work (with the correct response changed accordingly)?

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:48 pm

Trying to guess who cursed louder when they only got one question in on that final category, me or Mark.
Ridiculously easy FJ.

Leander

Post by Leander » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:02 pm

No idea on FJ. Knew it wasn't a zip code and grasped at the political significance of 20 years ago, Eastern bloc, fall of communism, etc. and found my way to Beijing as a WAG, figuring most of the Eastern Europe cities too small to show up as an answer.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:02 pm

Spoiler
Show
7/12/05's final in the 50 states is: Rejected earlier in its bid for statehood, it finally entered the Union in 1876. Two out of three got it. After the 30 seconds, Alex mentioned there's significance in the year.

soxfan99
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by soxfan99 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:04 pm

mrparadise wrote:Fifty two, 80... fifty two, eighty...fifty two, eighty. I got nuthin. Five thousand two hundred and eighty. Oh, right. I think there may be a lesson there.
I did the same thing. After time was up and Alex said "Five thousand..." I got it instantly. I initially looked at the year in the clue and went for Seattle, thinking of grunge. I then tried to connect 5280 to Seattle or music somehow. If I had ignored the year and first thought of what 5280 signifies, it would've been a lot easier.
Last edited by soxfan99 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.