Wednesday, May 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by ElendilPickle »

Bamaman wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
Volante wrote: I was in an authors mindset for final...Charles Dickens was the closest in range I could come up with, but he was pretty beloved. Once Alex spotted 'theory' after the clue, Oh. Duh. Darwin. Of COURSE the church would hate him. Curse me and my inability to think like an institution fighting the tides of the future!
I went down the same wrong path, thinking maybe it was an author who had books banned, then trying to think of a 19th century British author that famously had a book banned, which had me pretty much drawing a blank. Just to have something, I wrote down Huxley, thinking that Brave New World may have been banned at some point, though I don't even know very much about what it is about. While it was a pretty poor guess, as Huxley wasn't born until 1894, I wasn't terribly off-base, as the novel has been banned and challenged at various times. According to Wikipedia it was banned in Ireland for "its language, as well as being anti-family and anti-religion". It was also banned in Missouri and India, though no mentions of banning in England.
An interesting bit of trivia about Huxley, kind of the opposite from Darwin. Can you name two other famous people who died the same day he did?
Spoiler
C. S. Lewis and President Kennedy.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

John Boy wrote:...Let's hope the quality of play improves markedly in the Friday game.
Writing off Thursday's game already??
OCSam
Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

davey wrote:
Sherm wrote: Though I couldn't think he ever did something so bad that the church would go back and forgive him after the fact.
Being Jewish?
I can't picture a church is going to forgive someone after the fact due to thier ethnicity. Thats just firestorm material. If Disraeli was on orthodox Jew that said some things offensive to the church of his era. Now, you might have something. Easy to know Disraeli was jewish based on his name, upon reading about him, he basically never practiced his jewish faith his entire life.

I'm one of those guys that is always going to write down some answer. I try to never leave it blank. Disraeli was my shot in the dark, based pretty much on the timeframe of birth and the fact that he ended up being a prominent Englishman that I knew not everyone liked.
Leander

Post by Leander »

He was born within 5 years of 1809 (upon looking) he wrote, he was a leader, he was jewish, and he ticked some people off.
Although baptized into the Church of England at an early age
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

A terrible game, and the winner shouldn't be allowed to advance. However, those great music questions warmed my heart.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

They didn't have my favorite web music parody. For all you Breaking Bad fans, you must watch it, but be warned, it contains spoilers, and it will get stuck in your head.

http://youtu.be/5y_Kd9ZoA6Q
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

shouldn't Hemsworth be prompted?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

CyrusChan wrote:shouldn't Hemsworth be prompted?
That was a "let's just move ON with this thing" award.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Sheepishly admit that I had NHO on FJ and WAG'd Paine. I didn't think of Darwin as being born that close to the opening of the century.

But holy Toledo Rockets, Batman, that was an awful game to watch.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote:
CyrusChan wrote:shouldn't Hemsworth be prompted?
That was a "let's just move ON with this thing" award.
She had already given "Chris".
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

thenextofken wrote:I was hoping Taylor would advance for a couple of reasons. One, she's from my neck of the woods. Two, this didn't come out in the show, but she has an inoperable brain tumor, according to an article in the Dallas Morning News. But that hasn't kept her from getting on with her life.
Best wishes go out to Taylor. If you're good enough to get on the show, you're already a winner.